Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Ghostbusters!
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Sunday, August 08 2010 @ 08:46 PM UTC (Read 4612 times)  
Forum Moderator

So... technically, removing a ghost means deleting the reference to the character in the house array.

Some ghosts are unwelcome. However, other owners have apparently grown downright fond of their local haunts, have turned them into furniture, and would be dismayed by a game-wide cleanup. What to do? Ghost removal could of course be an option available to the owner, along with kicking out sleepers. But that would clutter the left-hand menu. And... it would be kind of boring. Functional, but boring.

Idea: What if the furniture shop in IC began stocking Proton Packs? Home owners could buy these cool items to rid their dwellings of unwanted ghosts.

But, I hear you say... the current ghosts are the result of a bug. Once the bug is fixed, there'll be no more ghosts. Rather a pity... It would be a pity! Well, but what if... what if the game started generating ghosts?

Not of player characters, this time, but of... monsters?

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Sunday, August 08 2010 @ 08:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Well, but what if... what if the game started generating ghosts?

Not of player characters, this time, but of... monsters?

Wow! That's an idea totally made of awesome. Maybe can be related to the actual 'kills'? For instance, once you kill ten diplomats, the ghost of one will come and haunt your dwelling? Oh, oh, wait! What about...Titans? Oh, please, I want a Titan ghost. I need a Titan ghost. I'd call him Fluffy.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, August 08 2010 @ 11:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heh, this sounds fun. So much to think about!

Proton packs! Would they be good for only one ghost, or one day's worth of use, or permanent? Could you use them in your own house, or others' houses too? Would they stay in your inventory taking up space?

Ghosts! Would they be the same ghost every time, always in the same room, or a randomly-generated chance of having one (from some list of critters) in every room? What would be on the list? (Ghost of Panthzer = scary; ghost of Plastic Bag = lolwut.) Would they be the same level as you? Would they appear and stay in the "who's here" list, or as some add-on text; would they accumulate, or maybe vanish some time?

On a slightly related note; about the left-hand menu being cluttered. Does anyone else like the idea, and would it be practical, to have a dual interface available? One for what everyone sees, and a link at the bottom for Owner Functions?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 08 2010 @ 11:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

On a slightly related note; about the left-hand menu being cluttered. Does anyone else like the idea, and would it be practical, to have a dual interface available? One for what everyone sees, and a link at the bottom for Owner Functions?

Yes! I've been thinking this myself! Partly so you can tell what everyone else sees. But also, the 'delete comments' function, although good, and on occasion really useful, can look rather ugly. Is there a way to make it so that you can turn it off most of the time, and only turn it on when you want to use it?

I think that 'proton packs' should only be usable by master key holders. Some people are quite attached to their ghosts. GERM went to some effort to find Rookie Declan when he went missing. i doubt they'd be happy if someone just went in and disposed of him for them.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Sunday, August 08 2010 @ 11:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't really care what gets done or how it gets done, just that it gets done. If I have to walk into Ashtu's Annex one more time and see Rookie Slagathor the Mighty and Private bratbastard blocking the spiral staircase and scaring the customers........

Thank you.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, August 09 2010 @ 12:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

... you'll start a protest march?

Which, as usual, will be composed of two robots following your orders, a few jokers wondering what kinds of interesting stuff the Watcher will do to you, and seven TMidgetB's waiting untill it's over to rob your lifeless husk.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Miss Hellebore
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 05:57 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I like this idea! Especially the part that means we don't lose a valuable coatrack and talking point and plot point and rallying point and well, that's probably enough points, really.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 06:00 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

We really do need a "Kick this player out of the house" option, don't we?

Profile Email Website
Paul Lo
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's right.

A button to sproing unwanted guests out is a must.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Miss Hellebore
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 06:10 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

For times when someone goes into your Oddities Museum and starts opening all the cages!

I'm not naming any names here.

...But if I did, it would be Dex.

But I'm not.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 07:05 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Rather than a link... an Iitem -- e.g. the Proton Pack?

Profile Email
Kuroiten
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

A Mini BanHammer.

"Too small to fling someone off the Island, but large enough to eject an unwanted guest from your dwelling."

Judging by the chaos, I've been here already.

Profile Email Website
LadyRavenSkye
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I personally think a link would be better to kick a drama causing guest from one's home. I unwillingly get a few, but don't want to lock my dwelling for just one or two persons, and kicking them out would just be better.
Maybe even something that would stop that one person from entering my house, because I am not making front door keys for the whole Island.

Profile Email
Temper
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 11:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

A mini Banhammer would be very nice, especially if it prevented them from coming back in... In that way, if you had a repeat offender, you could in effect lock your doors to them, without locking out the whole island.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 12:11 AM UTC  

Methinks being able to lock specific players out of your house would cause ridiculous amounts of drama. Better to lock your dwelling altogether, or ask for mod help if someone's harrassing you and causing trouble.

However, I would totally go for a proton pack. I would also go for master key holders being allowed to kick sleepers, but that's a different issue. Mr. Green

LadyRavenSkye
 Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 12:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Escemfer

Methinks being able to lock specific players out of your house would cause ridiculous amounts of drama. Better to lock your dwelling altogether, or ask for mod help if some one's harassing you and causing trouble.

However, I would totally go for a proton pack. I would also go for master key holders being allowed to kick sleepers, but that's a different issue. Mr. Green

It wouldn't cause drama... if the house just looks like it locked to the specific persons.

Possible example scenario;
"Your house is locked, I want in..."
"Sorry, just doing a scene, maybe later."

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 06:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Then, of course, they talk to someone else - "Isn't it weird that her house is always locked?" - and when the other person acts confused - "what? it's never locked!" - your drama begins.

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 07:41 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Personally, I'd love to be able to kick people out of the house. I don't mind people zonking out on my couches in the living room or what not overnight or for a day or even two. But after that, I really want them out of my place. Yeah, I can boot them out of bed, but they're kind of an eyesore just hanging around.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 10:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

if you feel the need to permanently bar someone from your dwelling, then I would suggest that non-lol drama is already happening.

Profile Email
SinkOrSwim
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I thought this was a conversation about kicking out 'ghosts' rather than barring people from your premises?

Yes, I would like a proton pack/ghost bait to get the expired characters out of my property. As is said, selective removal would be best, as some people are quite fond of their, ahem, furniture. I won't be converting 'Rookie Gibber-Snipe' to a sofa or anything, but I would like rid of them. They're terribly scruffy, and the corpse is starting to smell somewhat.

Returning off-topic, barring people from property, in my humble old-aged opinion, would be a bad thing. Kicking someone out while they sleep, if they're been there aaaages is fair enough. Kicking them out while they're online, just because you don't like what they're doing, would be a bad thing (and yes, shows a red-grade level of bad drama. Sort it out and play nice, children...)

... Grace is just the measure of a fall ...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.86 seconds
New Topic Post Reply