Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Hunter's Lodge rebuild
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 06:00 PM UTC (Read 14884 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay folks, now that Sheds are sorted I want to rebuild the Hunter's Lodge while Emily works on her Very Special Secret Awesome First Project. Here's how it's gonna go down:

All Hunter's Lodge bonuses will be sold as IItems (for those who don't know the technical details, that means they're part of the Improbable Item System (hence the two I's), and they go in your Inventory with all your other stuff). So you go to the Hunter's Lodge and buy your special iitem, and then in order to receive the benefits from it, you've just gotta go into your Inventory and click "Use."

This means that, with thanks to Sessine's Trader module (released alongside with Trains; I'm gonna tinker with it a bit to add more functionality), we'll be able to bring back some of the gifting culture that we saw in Season One. There'll be options for gift-wrap, and so on. Also, this'll make it much easier for me to think of new Hunter's Lodge thingies, because as it is now, whenever I want to add a new thing to buy I pretty much have to build a whole shop per item for sale.

I'm thinking of maybe adding a feature where you can specify your character's date of birth, so people can send presents for character birthdays. Real birthdays too, although obviously both will be entirely optional (and opt-in).

So, if you've got any ideas for nifty things that you'd like to see in the Hunter's Lodge, now's a good time to suggest them. Smile

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 07:01 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Oho! Yay, this sounds fantastic! I can hardly wait!

(While you're re-working the Lodge, could you make it so the place is not off-limits to those hardy, reckless fools attempting a Bastard Rank? There are too many important things being sold there now, many of which aren't even related to DK advancement. Like, specials. And Emily Bundles!

Instead, you could say that certain iitems won't work for characters who are trying a Bastard, in the same way that rat packs and medkits won't work for Robots.)

Profile Email
Tyr
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 07:02 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oh god gifts. My life is wonderful.

I'd kill (or donate) for a phone. One that works like the Comms tent, but can be installed in a Dwelling. Of course, you'd have to pay your phone bill to use it.

One that can be used to call other dwellings would also be nifty.

Also, a rolodex/address book/something that would allow you to check the List Contestants page from your dwelling.

These might be more appropriate for Cadfael's, but I'd imagine they're the sort for thing that would/should cost DP.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 07:46 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Oho! Yay, this sounds fantastic! I can hardly wait!

(While you're re-working the Lodge, could you make it so the place is not off-limits to those hardy, reckless fools attempting a Bastard Rank? There are too many important things being sold there now, many of which aren't even related to DK advancement. Like, specials. And Emily Bundles!

Instead, you could say that certain iitems won't work for characters who are trying a Bastard, in the same way that rat packs and medkits won't work for Robots.)

This would be WONDERFUL it if is possible.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 03:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Buying a custom title for another would be interesting.
As would buying luggage/card wallets for another.
As would buying mounts for another.
As would buying custom weapons for another, ditto for custom armor.
The ability to gift another with helmets/gloves/boots would be fun.
The ability to rename helmets/gloves/boots would be fun.

The ability to buy useless objects for another would be interesting: These might appear in a separate field for the character's bio:
IE: Flask of whiskey, cigarette lighter, espresso machine, 1943 Adler typewriter, coffee mug, engraved cigarette case, Turkish waterpipe, 8-ball of cocaine, a very nice bottle of Beaujolais, etc.

My two cents worth,

~CTP

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: crashtestpilot

The ability to buy useless objects for another would be interesting: These might appear in a separate field for the character's bio:
IE: Flask of whiskey, cigarette lighter, espresso machine, 1943 Adler typewriter, coffee mug, engraved cigarette case, Turkish waterpipe, 8-ball of cocaine, a very nice bottle of Beaujolais, etc.

yeah, y'see, i could go completely crazy for this. especially if the list of things available was, say .... VAST. and, maybe, randomised? so you didn't have everyone walking round with espresso machines in their backpacks, but only those lucky souls who happened to catch them when they were available.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 04:46 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Most of these things can be given already via the DP transfer ability. Once the recipients have DPs, they can spend them on anything that's in the Lodge. Including req and/or cigs to buy armor, weapons, helmet, gloves, or boots, or furniture, if that's what they want.

The only downside to this is that transfers are subtracted, not just from your current balance, but from your "amount donated, ever" number, so it looks as if you never even gave that money to the game.

There really should be three donation numbers, not two: the current two numbers to be maintained and used as they currently are, and a third number showing actual dps earned by the character, which would not be changed by transfers.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There really should be three donation numbers, not two: the current two numbers to be maintained and used as they currently are, and a third number showing actual dps earned by the character, which would not be changed by transfers.

The bad thing about that is, some people have no way to donate, and get by with transfers only.
And if it gets separated into three like that, surely the transferred DPs will go back to the original buyer.
I hate to complain, but that would be really bad news for someone like me, who does exactly that. [I tried donating once, and the money never got through. So now it's a complete waste of my time and money to attempt to donate.]
And seeing as I've got so many drawings already lined up for people who commissioned me, I'd have to start a whole new batch and such.
[Plus, they get to keep their drawings. If the transferred points went away, it wouldn't be a very fair trade, now would it?]

Assuming, of course, that the transferred points return to their original buyer.
If they didn't, having three would be fairly useless unless the person REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW how much they've thrown into the game.
But if they needed to know so badly, they could ask, or keep a log of how much they've donated.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Who said anything about transferred points going away? Why would they return to the original giver?

The only time I can see that (maybe) happening would be at the transition to Season Three. Even then, I'd be okay with it not happening.

But, I have, over time, transferred quite a lot of DPs to other characters. Some of them have been to roleplaying alts of my own for various storylines, to keep them around as permanent even if the storyline gets suspended for a while (Alana in the Realm, for instance), some of them have been prizes for contests, and some of them have been outright gifts to people I wanted to help. (None have been to pay for services rendered -- edit: Oh wait, there was that one time...)

I'm not a big donor. I have budgeted a few bucks each month since very early in the game, though, once I realized what entertainment value the Island was providing me. Over time, a few dollars every month adds up. It kind of dampens the pleasure of giving DPs, to see every gift making me look less of a supporter, and no record kept.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 05:55 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

I tried donating once, and the money never got through. So now it's a complete waste of my time and money to attempt to donate.

Never got through? What happened, here? Refresh my memory.

Profile Email Website
snicker
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 06:11 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

My two cents worth,

~CTP

If it's just a cosmetic item (no game world effect) there's no reason why Joe couldn't make an iitem that charges based on the length of the description and colour usage - just spend points to customize it further.
Since it isn't a game-affecting object, it wouldn't need any other stat besides description, right?

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Who said anything about transferred points going away? Why would they return to the original giver?

The only time I can see that (maybe) happening would be at the transition to Season Three. Even then, I'd be okay with it not happening.

I kinda meant at the beginning of Season Three. I should have said this earlier, but my mind was rather one tracked, going "SHIT! WASTED DRAWINGS."

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

I tried donating once, and the money never got through. So now it's a complete waste of my time and money to attempt to donate.

Never got through? What happened, here? Refresh my memory.

I just told Sessine about this in gtalk, but I'll say it here as well.

This was ermm... way back in May, before the first Season ended. So my memory is fuzzy. Very very fuzzy.
I didn't say anything about it, because I figured it was my own fault for doing something wrong.
I hit the button that is supposed to let you donate to the island [instead of the one where you donate to LoGD. I'm greedy and wanted my points Razz]
And it took me to a very confusing site that I suspect was in England. Had a bunch of logos and things and I tried my best to find the Island's Paypal.
I've never donated to a site before, so that probably didn't help.

As confoosin' as it was, I got into Paypal and sent money from an e-mail address that was different from my island's registered e-mail. [Cause I don't have a Paypal, and got paid for a commission through someone else's. So the money I was donating was mine, of course. lol.]
However, when I sent the money, I sent a note along with it that said who the island character was, in hopes that I'd still get the points.
Nothing ever happened, of course. Ten bucks went...somewhere? that I have no idea [maybe to Pluto!], and I've just put it aside as a thing to not try anymore. Other people know how to do that better than I do. No doubt they're laughing at my stupid ass right now. Le sigh.

Anyway, I apologize for any confusion/annoyance/wanting to smash my brains out urges this may or may not have caused. I didn't mean it.

And no, I don't recall what the site was called. My memory is absolutely horrid.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What about custom tattoos? They only have a fairly minor game effect. So you get a voucher which you can take to Petra in return for a tat and you choose your own small description for it? Maybe have a limit on how many you can get.

This isn't something I'd get myself, but some people might like it?

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 11:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think to the degree that items:
A) have in-game effects
Cool are limited run
will make them more desirable.

To wit:
A) An espresso machine that has the same effect as sleeping in a cot, but is stackable with said cot-sleeping would be awesome.
Cool A deck of cards that offers Joker-like effects (in terms of bad days/good days) would be interesting.
C) A pipe that offers cig like effects, and has purchasable tobacco would be interesting (say 10 charges per pouch).
D) A hookah that offers beer-like effects
E) A fake tattoo that has a finite duration but has tattoo-like effects

Also: What about wearables that you could change in and out of?
So, for instance, you would use a wearable out of your backpack, and it would replace your armor description. Your armor would then go in your backpack. You would have to remember to swap them out.

Also: wearable accessories that have no in-game effects, but appear on your read out (character is wearing yadda-yadda.)

Also: Hats that folks can see (IE, so and so is wearing a size 95 top hat.)

Also: Wearables that folks can customize the appearance of.

Two more cents from the CTP idea factory,

~CTP

Profile Email
Reverb
 Friday, August 13 2010 @ 01:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My two cents worth,

~CTP

Apart from the obvious part that you can simply gift people the DP to do that, slash, to buy the ciggies to do that...;

Helm/glove/boot gifting smells slightly to req retention! Lions and Bears and Tigersohmy would be the least of your trouble!

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, August 13 2010 @ 01:48 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Any trading / gifting that we get will, I am sure, be scrutinized very, very carefully for the possibility of Season One style economy-destroying exploits.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 13 2010 @ 02:40 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

KimmyMonstah, I'm very, very curious as to where your money eventually ended up. Also to what website you were redirected, 'cause I don't think anyone else has had that problem.

Did you get an E-mail receipt? Do you use Windows, and if so, how's your malware protection? Email me the receipt if you've got it, and I'll take a look.

Profile Email Website
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, August 13 2010 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

KimmyMonstah, I'm very, very curious as to where your money eventually ended up. Also to what website you were redirected, 'cause I don't think anyone else has had that problem.

Did you get an E-mail receipt? Do you use Windows, and if so, how's your malware protection? Email me the receipt if you've got it, and I'll take a look.

Never got a receipt! At least I don't think so.
And I wouldn't be able to get any information now, anyway, my hard drive has crashed twice [or... possibly three times? I can't recall.] since then.

I apologize, but I don't remember what the site was called at all. All I can remember is faint bits of what it looked like, and even that is... well. Not reliable.
And I tried just now, hitting the pay switches, but they went directly to Paypal, like they're supposed to.

The only thing I can think of is going into that person's Paypal and snooping around for it.
I can try that if you want.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 13 2010 @ 03:36 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hmm. Was this site... red? Or rather, burgundy, with beige?

Profile Email Website
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, August 13 2010 @ 03:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm. Was this site... red? Or rather, burgundy, with beige?

I think so.
I think it was designed like it was supposed to be high class, or simply to be fancy.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.79 seconds
New Topic Post Reply