Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Smarter doors
 |  Printable Version
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM UTC (Read 1529 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Got into an interesting discussion last night during a room design brainstorming session, and thought I'd share some of those ideas to get reactions from all you very smart people:

What if there were smart locks, or smart portals that could discriminate between characters?
IE:
A) Race
Cool Gender
C) Number of DKs (ala the Curious Looking Rock)
D) Clan affiliation
E) Clan rank
F) Clan affiliation + Clan Rank
G) Consult a list of permitted names (granted, this can be done by creating a secret room, and being discriminate about to whom one gives the passphrase)
H) Some combination of the above that would be user/builder specified

So, for instance, you want to build a clan-only area that only lets in members of your, or perhaps that of another clan.
Non-clan members (of the specified clan) would not be permitted entry, while members of the specified clan would (be permitted entry.)

This would allow spaces to be shared by aligned clans, or allow a given clan complete privacy in a space. One could also specify any clan, or No Clan, so as to only allow either anyone affiliated with a clan, or anyone specifically NOT affiliated with any clan access to particular spaces. Useful both for inter-clan cooperation, as well as -- potentially -- recruiting, or outreach to non-aligned players.

The Race and Gender hooks would also be interesting, such that, say only jokers would be permitted access to a given room, or suite of rooms. Or one could have men-only/women-only areas within a building. (This last area came up as we were discussing how to best represent a Japanese-style hot spring).

The race thing could be exceptionally interesting in that it would make some buildings or areas mysterious to characters until they had the opportunity to DK and change their race out. For larger constructions this would create the experience in which a given construction would be continually unfolding for them -- at least until they had an opportunity to cycle through all the known races.

Clan rank would allow leaders of a given clan or set of clans to have officer's clubs, or allow clan leadership meetings to be easily facilitated. It might even encourage more inter-clan coordination.

It would be even cooler to have these settings toggle-able, so while the permutations specified would be remembered, they would be able to be deactivated.

Anyway, that was the fruit of last night's chat. Reactions, insights, jeers and additional brainstorming welcome, as always.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 03:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

PS: Sorry for the smiley on item B ).
It's an auto-smiley "feature" that seems to crop up whenever I try to produce a cogent, itemized list.

I:
A) Have mixed feelings about it, and
Cool AAAAAAH! There it is again!

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 03:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While this particular suggestion I don't find very compelling, I'd just like to take this opportunity to mention that you seem to be a never-ending fountain of great game-design ideas, CTP.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 03:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@Fred:
Why thank you, sir!
I just talk to a lot of people, and try to build stuff. When I can't build stuff the way I'm thinking about it, or when something Improbable (!) occurs to me that isn't there already, I just nail it to a balloon, and launch it here, and see what happens.
One of the greatest things about II is the number of v. smart creative people that have chosen to make it their home, and the two-way interaction that happens between the user-base and the Dan/Dev Team/Mods community.
It's pretty special; it doesn't happen that often anywhere else; so I'm enjoying it while it's here, and forever hopeful that some loose idea will give someone else a little joy.

But really, it's also the coffee.

Much love, and thanks for your kind words!

Yours,

~CTP

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: crashtestpilot

PS: Sorry for the smiley on item B ).
It's an auto-smiley "feature" that seems to crop up whenever I try to produce a cogent, itemized list.

I:
A) Have mixed feelings about it, and
Cool AAAAAAH! There it is again!

All best,

~CTP

You can avoid it, if you so choose, by:
8. using numbers for your cogent, itemized lists, or
b) using lower-case letters.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 08:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dear Sessine,

I was aware of that, as you may realize, but unfortunately I'm a touch-typist, and muscle memory is a damned hard thing to overcome.
For instance, as a journalist, I have a filter that goes through my word docs, and removes the double space I was trained to type following the period, substituting a single space following the period. Among other things I tend to do automatically.

So, yes, when making an itemized list, I tend to cap my letters. I should probably train myself to swap to numbers, but then, I type the way I speak, and when I say a list, it generally starts with Cap A, and there I am again.

All this too much said about something I was making fun of, only because it keeps happening.

I assure you I'm seeking professional help.

All my best to you and the rails,

~CTP

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 08:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: crashtestpilot

Das a journalist, I have a filter that goes through my word docs, and removes the double space I was trained to type following the period, substituting a single space following the period.

Funny you mention this, because I was totally wondering how this was notable enough to be Article of the Day on August 4th.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, August 25 2010 @ 08:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This being the relevant sentence in the article you cited: "Many people prefer double sentence spacing for informal use because that was how they were taught to type."

Or as a politician I once quoted in print said "I'm gonna do what I've always done, 'cause I don't know no better."

And moving on and away from smarter doors...

~CTP

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.38 seconds
New Topic Post Reply