Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Pub Names Contest!
 |  Printable Version
Fergus
 Monday, September 13 2010 @ 01:39 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Great names so far! I have only one worth mentioning, and it works for two places, PVille and NewHome:
The Drowned Clown.

Best of luck choosing among so many amazing choices!

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Tuesday, September 21 2010 @ 02:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

WERES ARE PUBES U ROTERS Frown

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Tuesday, September 21 2010 @ 04:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'll take 'delayed', for $500, Alex!

Meanwhile- more names!!!

"Murky's" (Squat Hole)
Holycrapminorbrainstorm! Cuthbert MUST be the Mutant town Bartender in his off time!
"Brickbats" (Pleasantville)

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 21 2010 @ 06:21 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The pubs are all written up by Emily, but I've been stuck for the past couple of weeks on new Items and Dwellings code to make the pair of 'em more reliable. Frown

If you wanna see...

http://github.com/CavemanJoe/Improbable-Island---DragonScales---DragonBones---LotGD-2.0---Season-Three/commits/master

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Tuesday, September 21 2010 @ 06:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks, man!!!! Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, September 22 2010 @ 03:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

I'll take 'delayed', for $500, Alex!

how did you know my name

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Wednesday, September 22 2010 @ 10:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ERrm... Eek!

Fancy a pint? Big Grin

Profile Email Website
g_rock
 Thursday, September 23 2010 @ 04:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Got on a certain theme...

AceHigh- The Lucky Dip (move it in the town walls)
404-The Lucky Drip/The Lucky Blip
Kitt-The Lucky Nip
Newhome-The Lucky Sip
PVille-The Lucky Quip
Squat-The Lucky Pip [originally a dice-gambling establishment, defaced to read The Lucky Pipsqueak]
New Pitt-The Lucky RIP

Again, my apologies to all of your braaaaains for the preceding offense.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, October 07 2010 @ 04:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hi there folks.

I've taken my time over answering this, and have now left it far too late. This is in part deliberate. I'd like to bang on about why for a while. Partly so that I can sort it out in my own head, and partly because I'm a noisy bugger that likes the sound of their own voice (or in this case, the view of their own writing.)

I play the Skronkys. This is in places a bit cheeky of me, and so a bit awkward. The Skronkys are a lot closer to canon than most characters, I have them own Kebabs 'N' Shite, the Skronky Pot and Julias. Julia actually is a game given NPC who I've appropriated and made a Skronky. This puts me in a rather delicate position. Normally your character is pretty autonomous, only you can say what they're like and what they do. With me on the other hand, if someone decides to use Julia as a back character for something, then they've got as much right to as I or anyone else. I can't really claim Julia as my own. Again. Suppose that CMJ introduces a new game element, and in the write up mentions just briefly that the manager of K&S is Bertha, then Impudencia Skronky's out of a job. Or even just a brief aside in a monster description would do.

Now. I've spent far too much time thinking about Squathole and the Midgets, and I've got a lot of odds and ends of details hanging around in my head, including some (plural) pubs. Because this again touches on canon I've got to be careful. Unlike with anyone elses character where you can say "Such and such is the case" I have to say "In my imagination such and such is the case." The point is, that when I come up with names for places in Squathole, it's all founded in my image of the whole place. In the wiki I've written about the origins of White Lightening Cider. I had it that this was discovered by Noxious Smith and is brewed using zombie goats.

So I would like to have the pub called "The Zombie Goat". This would be a bad name, as most people can't be assumed to have read my witterings in the wiki, and that name would be just strange. "Noxious Smith's Piss House" or "Noxious Smiths Piz Ouse" maybe. Even that's based on my own naming conventions for midgets (unpleasent first name, classic British surname). So. I would still like "The Fag and Fist" despite (maybe even 'because') of it's unfortunate double connotations in American. This is a description of the Skronkys coat of arms. When I say "Coat of Arms" I don't mean all the gubbins that you get nowadays, just a basic picture representing the Skronkys. Maybe a motto underneath (Gis Ruspuct or Luz yer Teeth.). Bear in mind that coats of arms, like pub signs, originally came about because most people couldn't read or write, and so are particularly appropriate in Squathole. The other name that I thought up, "The Brukun Teeth" I've already mentioned. Maybe "The Black Eye"

In case anyone's interested, in my imagination, the main pub, The Fag and Fist, is just what you'd expect. A dark smelly shit hole which claims to have three different drinks on tap, but in actual fact, they all draw from the same barrel. Furniture are all lumps of wood thick enough to not get broken when used for beating someone round the head with.
Its patrons enjoy playing "Hack". Midgets take it in turns to hack up into a bucket, taking a step back each time. The first one to miss the bucket gets their head dipped in it to the count of three, and seeing as how its midgets doing the counting, this can take quite some time. The pub keeps the bucket and sells the contents to the Skronky Pot, as you might imagine.

The Zombie Goat on the otherhand, is Squatholes classy, upmarket pub, with cages to fight in, and bouncers on the door who search you for weapons on the way in. If they find that you don't have any, then they offer to sell you a pick axe handle at an exorbitant price. There are boxes of old empties left lying around for patrons to throw at each other. Posh.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Friday, October 08 2010 @ 03:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@HM: Love what you've done with the place.
@Island: Don't you love it?
@Admins/Mods: Hire her.

-30-

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, October 08 2010 @ 06:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree w/HM and CTP.

I also wanted to point out to CMJ- does this make 'Pub Names' the first contest with no cheating?

Profile Email Website
Alik
 Friday, October 08 2010 @ 01:30 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Harris

I agree w/HM and CTP.

I also wanted to point out to CMJ- does this make 'Pub Names' the first contest with no cheating?

I simply can't think of a way TO cheat for this contest.
Unless any of you care to offer a time traveling device, then maybe I can fix that for you. Wink

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Friday, October 08 2010 @ 03:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Alik

Unless any of you care to offer a time traveling device, then maybe I can fix that for you.

You ARE a Joker, are you not?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Alik
 Friday, October 08 2010 @ 05:33 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

A robot joker... As improbable as it would be to suddenly find myself at a different point in time, the paradox of simply showing up in another time-line would simply overload my logic chip. durr. Plus, I'd probably like to add a time-travel machine to my collection. I already have an overheated policebox and a delorean which needs a new transmission.

Profile Email
wvf
 Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 03:17 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I like 'The Spinal Tap', it reminds me of the 'Vinyl Tap' show on CBC (Canada).

Profile Email
bl0b
 Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Bit late now, but here's a way to cheat. Just submit every possible character combination from length 1 to 30. I'm guessing names longer than 30 characters won't be that interesting. Or at least, not as interesting as "hm54_&^$ún FCJksdy^$"

Also, congrats to g_rock for sunny spot.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Monday, October 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: bl0b

Bit late now, but here's a way to cheat. Just submit every possible character combination from length 1 to 30. I'm guessing names longer than 30 characters won't be that interesting. Or at least, not as interesting as "hm54_&^$ún FCJksdy^$"

Also, congrats to g_rock for sunny spot.

Here are my submissions: http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/fnames.cgi

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Syd Lexic
 Monday, November 08 2010 @ 09:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Erm, I think my entry for Squats was chosen. Woo!

I really am super happy to have simply won, but I was also kinda excited for the SP. Should I have received it by now? I know g_rock got his...

Thank you in advance!

~Syd

Profile Email
June
 Monday, November 08 2010 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

CC404 - Filling Station

AceHigh - The Jolly Joker

Newhome - Alcohol for Cheap

Profile Email
Syd Lexic
 Monday, November 08 2010 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Before I forget again, is it too late to pour love on "O'Bligatory's Irish Pub" for Newhome?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.58 seconds
New Topic Post Reply