Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 A New Way to Cook Your Food
 |  Printable Version
Mogar
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 07:25 AM UTC (Read 4285 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

A lot of us cook our food with many more bites of each meat than just twenty. Here's an idea that can replace the buying of larger pans, though larger pans would still be awesome.

New keyboard buttons to cook our food with.

You've got less than twenty bites of meat? Hit the "A" (cook All meat) key and cook everything (up to twenty bites, again) without typing in numbers!
You've got tons of every type of meat, but you want to cook a (possible) mix of your twenty least-nutritional bits of meat (all crap meat is cooked, unless less than twenty crap meat exist in inventory, then all crap meat and any half-decent meat to add up to twenty is cooked. If this mix is less than twenty, then some tasty meat is included in the bunch to fill the pan to twenty bites. Or the tasty meat can be excluded altogether)? Then just hit the "W" (cook Worst meat) key!
Have tons of every type of meat, but you only want to cook the highest quality mix of meat in your inventory (the opposite of just above)? Then just hit "B" (cook Best meat) to cook your tastiest meaty bites!
Only want to cook all or up to twenty bites of your Crap meat? Hit the "C" (cook Crap meat) key!
Just wanna cook your Half-Decent meat? Hit the "H" (cook Half-decent meat) key to cook up to twenty bites of Half-Decent meat!
Last, but not least, if you only want to cook up to twenty Tasty bites of meat, then just hit the "T" (cook Tasty meat) key!

All of these keys would be in the cooking screen with the number input boxes. Also, of course the keys can be changed around.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Love it, however, while we're at it can we also get cooking options?

Like using a wok (W key); Grilling on a hibachi (G key); Or wrapped in banana leaves and smoked for a long time in a pit lined with mesquite chips (BL + S +P + M keys).

Also, can we add spices? Crap meat really needs a lot of chili-garlic sauce to be palatable, whereas tasty meat is best with just a little bit of salt and pepper, plus maybe some rosemary on the fire to give it that woodsy smell. Half-decent meat, eh, I just throw it into a curry, or maybe some vinegar and bay, a few tomatoes, maybe some mushrooms.

Okay, all of the above with tongue firmly in cheek.

In all seriousness, I do second the motion that we need a way to mass-process our meat without the filling in of fields.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 09:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The only problem is that now that the meat interacts with the regular restaurant food full/fat system, the only reason to cook your own meat out in the jungle is to save some req. Unless cooking 20 tasty meats has better stam/fullness than a steak does, it's almost worthless now, IMO...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 09:55 PM UTC  

Quote by: crashtestpilot

Or wrapped in banana leaves and smoked for a long time in a pit lined with mesquite chips (BL + S +P + M keys).

I was contemplating writing a module for that, but I don't know if anyone around here really wants smoked crap meat, or would enjoy searching the island for a convenient mesquite pit.

But yes, I'm all for more cooking options! And bigger pans. Although as Dave notes, cooking seems pretty useless these days, so maybe the whole thing could use a revamp

Anonymous: Silcatra
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM UTC  

Quote by: tehdave

The only problem is that now that the meat interacts with the regular restaurant food full/fat system, the only reason to cook your own meat out in the jungle is to save some req. Unless cooking 20 tasty meats has better stam/fullness than a steak does, it's almost worthless now, IMO...

20 bits of tasty meat provide +10% stamina. The Kitt steaks are worth +40% and the PV steaks are worth +60%.

The cooking and cleaning system is worthless now, unless you're somewhere like 404 with a great fighting day, a crappy travel day, and no train tickets.

Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 10:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As someone who's not much of a game player, and who just starts a DK with the 25K Dan quest reward, I do tend to watch the pennies closely at low levels, and I may well clean and cook at such times. It's not so much the food that needs rejigging as the ability to start a DK with vast sums of req maybe? This has been alluded to several times recently.

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 11:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Even when I just started playing non-humans and didn't get daily money, before I'd figured out any of the ways to get quick money at the beginning of my DKs, I could still buy steaks most days. If I were still in that situation now, I would probably still go for the steak rather than saving a tiny bit of req, because it gives more stamina.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 04:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another thing is that cooking and cleaning filling you up, now, removes almost all motivation there could possibly be to play a zombie.

Even on DKs where I only start with the 2.5k Dan reward, I can stuff myself with as many PV steaks as I can every game day and still have enough Req to afford a Chainsaw and Invisisuit by at least level 7, and by the time I'm 15, I've got enough for a Gargle Blast (or two) to moider the Drive with.

I realize there's a difference between a rookie and a guy with 45 DKs, but a lot of people have a whole lot more than I do, and their situation can only be better. There's pretty much zero reason to bother with cooking anymore. Frown

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 05:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Either I'm dumb and don't see the option, or there's no edit button.

Anyway WHOOPS missed the whole point of the thread.
I really like the idea of all of those options, primarily the 'cook all meat' button. I also like the idea of being able to buy bigger pans, but that seems like it'd be more of a bother to do? I don't know.

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 05:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Even a simple link back to cook more meat rather than having to go back out to the jungle/travel page would be wonderfully useful.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 06:10 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I still think a new system would be helpful, though not as helpful as it would've been when crap meat didn't make you fat and cooking your own food in general didn't fill you up. Buuut, when stuck doing Dan quests in Cyber City or as a Joker on a bad traveling day (as was mentioned), being able to cook is very helpful. In the case of the Dan quest at CC404, the fact that cooking your own food can make you full is also helpful since you'll be there for a while with nothing else to eat, and everyone loves being strong and energetic and well-nourished and thin at the beginning of a day!

Profile Email
Kash
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think if the meat system were updated so that it provided adequate stamina boosts to be very useful again, then the cooking system would also be in queue for an upgrade. For example, I think a character should be able to gain as much stamina from the maximum amount of Tasty Meat that they can consume in a day as they do from three PVille steaks, since unless you burn the food it's going to have roughly the same nutritional content whether it's cooked by a master chef or eaten raw/fried. Personally, I think the amount of meat gained from the average meat-yielding encounter should be increased. I mean, come on, only five bites of tasty meat from an entire LOLrus? Or 20 from a jungle cat the size of a tank? IRL it would take me weeks or months to eat a meat-tank, not 20 bites... though I do recognize the need for some compromise in that regard, also.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 03:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's the thing about Panthzers, Kash -- Sure, they're big, but you're going for tasty meat, right?
First, there's the mass of the thing -- you're talking about really big bones to support that weight -- the bio-armor, the bony gunnery -- like a brontosaurus.

(Now, back in the day, when Dad would come back from a brontosaurus kill with a doggybag, my brother and I were like, "That's it? You go away on a hunting trip for weeks at a time, leaving Mom and I to invent fire, the alphabet, writing, and the inclined plane?" But I digress.)

Then there's the petrol tank -- which really lowers the meat quality around the flanks, owing to diffusion.

Ultimately, with the panthzer, the best bits are the tongue, and the cheeks. You can eat the brains, but Christ, they're really small, and you have to cook them for, like, three days before the carapace covering them falls off.

All of which suggests perhaps that one could improve meat yield if one wants to blow more STAM on cleaning the carcass.

IE -- Make quick work of it = normal cost/normal meat yield
You can do a better job than that = higher cost/higher meat yield
Make Maiko proud = 3x cost, and a shot at a really nice meat yield.

Similarly, this could lead to new meat classes -- ie, difficult to cook meat, which would take more STAM to prepare, but would yield a shot at higher STAM bonuses. And allow someone to learn MORE while doing it.

Would such a development be worth it?

I don't know.

If one could make stuff, and gift it (IE, you've just sent a bowl of delicious panthzer stew to Rookie Example!) -- that might be fun.

But the minute I mention ideas like this, a lot of folks come out of the woodwork to say such things are potentially game-breaking and therefore not worth pursuing.

I respectfully disagree with those folks in advance: From my perspective, anything that facilitates exchanges between players is good because it makes them want to play the game more, gives them more to do, and draws out metagames within the game. But that's just me.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was going to poke at your brontosaurus simile based on the fact that there's no such thing as a brontosaurus.

It was only after several minutes that I realized there's no such thing as a panthzer, either...

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Bernard
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's the thing about Panthzers, Kash -- Sure, they're big, but you're going for tasty meat, right?
First, there's the mass of the thing -- you're talking about really big bones to support that weight -- the bio-armor, the bony gunnery -- like a brontosaurus.

(Now, back in the day, when Dad would come back from a brontosaurus kill with a doggybag, my brother and I were like, "That's it? You go away on a hunting trip for weeks at a time, leaving Mom and I to invent fire, the alphabet, writing, and the inclined plane?" But I digress.)

Then there's the petrol tank -- which really lowers the meat quality around the flanks, owing to diffusion.

Ultimately, with the panthzer, the best bits are the tongue, and the cheeks. You can eat the brains, but Christ, they're really small, and you have to cook them for, like, three days before the carapace covering them falls off.

All of which suggests perhaps that one could improve meat yield if one wants to blow more STAM on cleaning the carcass.

IE -- Make quick work of it = normal cost/normal meat yield
You can do a better job than that = higher cost/higher meat yield
Make Maiko proud = 3x cost, and a shot at a really nice meat yield.

Similarly, this could lead to new meat classes -- ie, difficult to cook meat, which would take more STAM to prepare, but would yield a shot at higher STAM bonuses. And allow someone to learn MORE while doing it.

Would such a development be worth it?

I don't know.

If one could make stuff, and gift it (IE, you've just sent a bowl of delicious panthzer stew to Rookie Example!) -- that might be fun.

But the minute I mention ideas like this, a lot of folks come out of the woodwork to say such things are potentially game-breaking and therefore not worth pursuing.

I respectfully disagree with those folks in advance: From my perspective, anything that facilitates exchanges between players is good because it makes them want to play the game more, gives them more to do, and draws out metagames within the game. But that's just me.

All best,

~CTP

I vote for cooking rookiestew. Rookies stew.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 07:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

I vote for cooking rookiestew. Rookies stew.

I second, third, fourth, fifth...

TIME PASSES

and three hundred and eighty sixth that.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 08:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@bakemaster: re brontos. Well aware. 'swhy I chose it. Your post made me smile a great deal. I'm smiling right now. ("Christ, doesn't this guy know that brontosauruses aren't even real? ....Wait....Panthzer? [facepalm])

Speaking of which, maybe it's time to have a brontosaurus on II. Since they do not exist. Ridden by Piltdown Man.

@bernard: re rookiestew: Love the idea. How do we implement it? Maybe this is the way we get rid of "ghost rookies" in dwellings? Have a clean carcass option? As in "kick out Rookie Declan?" and then underneath it, "Clean the carcass of Rookie Declan?"

(sidenote, in the event Rookie Declan is reading this thread: Nothing personal; I'm just using you as an example. You are the most famous Rookie of all time, and I can't wait to read your memoirs. [Working title: Diary of a Coatrack?])

Or maybe we should just write up the monster desc. for "Wayward Rookie." And give him a wicked meat yield; Or the result from cleaning the carcass: "You finish cleaning the carcass of Wayward Rookie, yielding 200 bites of Tasty Meat. Then Chimental arrives, pounces, and carts away all that meat for his (their) own dark purposes."

I know we really don't have critters based on players, but if we did, Chim would certainly be among the most interesting encounters, IMO.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

(sidenote, in the event Rookie Declan is reading this thread: Nothing personal; I'm just using you as an example. You are the most famous Rookie of all time, and I can't wait to read your memoirs. [Working title: Diary of a Coatrack?])

Ahhm...could be upcoming relatively soon.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Saturday, October 02 2010 @ 04:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

. Then Chimental arrives, pounces, and carts away all that meat for his (their) own dark purposes."

Not if I get to arrive first via the Waltz Zone. There will be a feast. And cookies for dessert.

Oh, and B? Seems you finally accepted your cannibal-dom; took you some time.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, November 10 2010 @ 11:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I personally think the idea of giftable food and more complex recipes would be amazing. Now, this may be mostly because I really enjoy roleplaying cooking for a group (and so do a decent bit of other people too, just look at Kittania's Backlog) and think it would awesome to have tangible items to pass around while doing so, but it would also get some people moving. After all, more complex recipes means more complex ingredients and (possibly) higher nutritional values, and while I can see common spices like salt or pepper being at, say, the Council Offices (*hint*), I wouldn't expect something like mushrooms to grow in every outpost (I've heard the best ones are in Squathole, anyway).

Now, I'll freely admit it: I rarely ever leave Kitt. But if something like this were implemented, I would regularly move around the map, collecting supplies. Hell, I've done that once or twice for things that were character-specific and didn't involve anyone else. And while I'm at it, keeping in mind that this would be even more of a pain than the stuff I've already suggested to code, I think it be pretty cool if we could then come up with our own recipes, with their own nutritional values and maybe even some buffs/debuffs (nausea for things that shouldn't go together, etc.).

Opinions?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.63 seconds
New Topic Post Reply