Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 If I could change one small thing on The Island
 |  Printable Version
Ebenezer
 Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Maniak
I like all the suggestions of recent. ((even the suggestions of the ocd-people.) Yes, I left that parenthesis open just to spite you, and this small text exists only for that reason too. I love you all, my brethren.

AUGH!!!

Profile Email
Beeps
 Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

I wouldn't have had the idea if the last online time in the clan halls wasn't so eerily specific. But, you do have a point. Maybe a user preference to show it, combined with a 'You can see my time, but only if you're also on my friend list.'

More on-topic: Automatically focus the bottom of the screen after posting in chat.

Or, if possible, expand the ajax so the page doesn't have to refresh at all. I realize this may be difficult with the way the LotGD system uses commentary, but it would be nice.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 08:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I would rather have Ronsen-Kiai available while on the Failboat. Cage Fights depend solely on luck except for Timed Fighting currently, and some players have connections that make Timed Fighting nigh impossible.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 10:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

I'm for a friend's list idea.... but then I am also for a "appear offline" idea. Sometimes I like to do one-on-one scenes with people. If it's out somewhere the door can't be locked, people walk in. People walk in, looking for my character, and ruin the scene. They don't ask before appearing, and both characters are unnerved at the intrusion that they don't want to continue the scene even if the person leaves.

I have no problem in telling someone "No, today I don't feel like RPing with you." But it's tedious when they retort with back talk, and sometimes causes unneeded drama OOC. I'd be thankful for an appear offline option for these moments/

DNI?

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 11:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

About DNI. I'd change the fact that it closes the chat "Due to inactivity". The text that appears with DNI suggests that you should be able to use it to chat privately, but if it minimizes the commentary area, it gets annoying to have to keep refreshing to see what's going on.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Monday, February 21 2011 @ 12:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

for the record, I am wildly opposed to a friend's list. The island's got enough mary sues and drama llamas, we don't need to make it more like myspace.

I'm actually kinda surprised none of them have figured out a way to add animated glitter letters to their dwellings and make obnoxious scenester music play when you open their bio.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, February 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

for the record, I am wildly opposed to a friend's list. The island's got enough mary sues and drama llamas, we don't need to make it more like myspace.

I'm actually kinda surprised none of them have figured out a way to add animated glitter letters to their dwellings and make obnoxious scenester music play when you open their bio.

I agree. I think that'll just go towards preventing people from meeting new players, and keep them playing with the same folk day after day (which I actually think is getting to be a problem).

Profile Email
Swede
 Monday, February 21 2011 @ 07:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kolojang

One thing that I would like is be able to access the "who's online" list from anywhere. Maybe put it in the links on top of the page next to the MoTD, on next on the view bio button. Sometime when RPing in a dwelling, it would nice to be able to check it and not have to run to the nearest dwelling, and possibly get hit by a NewDay.

Like the list of contestants?
http://www.improbableisland.com/list.php?

Just open it in another window.

And I also have to say no to a friendslist. I think the contestants list works fine.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, February 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Swede

Like the list of contestants?
http://www.improbableisland.com/list.php?

Just open it in another window.

Whoa. Had no idea you could do that without being logged in.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Monday, February 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Gotta say I'm against a friends list type thing as well.

I feel this would only encourage congealing cliques. (eew!)

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Saturday, February 26 2011 @ 07:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have an actual small change I'd really like.

The Fat Butcher encounter was one of my favorites when I started playing, because when you defeat him you get the line (or something close to this):
"You start to wonder why he wasn't carrying a knife, then you slap yourself."
It made me smile. It sounded like you were fighting this unhinged great big son of a bitch dressed as a butcher, and wrapped in flies and flypaper, who was unarmed. Nowhere in the encounter description did it mention him having a knife or cleaver.
It also worked on originality level, because the knife or cleaver would've been EXPECTED. No cleaver or knife made him creepy.

Then he got reworked into a targeted fighting monster, and one of the targets is "The biggest butcher knife you've ever SEEN."
I was sad because the humor was gone, and a lot of the creep factor was too (the flies are STILL a nice touch), but i figured that that is how he was desired, so that is how he shall be...
Until I read the victory message to see what the inevitable new one said.
It's the same victory message. "You start to wonder why he wasn't carrying a knife..."

CAN we have the knife target removed? Catesby and the Velociraptor each only have ONE target, and that'd still leave the butcher with a COUPLE...
Pleeease?

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, February 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The Mutant and Magpie encounters reward you with exp based on your current exp. I'd rather this was changed to be based on the max exp of your current level, or rather, the exp amount that it takes to get to the next level.

During this DK, my second jungle encounter was the Magpie, and it gave me an astounding 25 exp.

Profile Email
Devorah
 Saturday, February 26 2011 @ 04:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

My apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere!

I would love to see the "Check prices at eBoys" function come back to the Communication Tent, as I used to use that quite frequently. Does anyone know if it was taken away for a reason, or if it just disappeared?

Profile Email
Kallio
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 11:36 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

There's one monster I'd really like to see removed: the 'Newly Female Contestant'.
I mean, I get that it's just a reference to all the fifteen-year-old boys who play female characters in online games and make total asses of themselves. I laugh at them too. And I get that whoever wrote the monster probably doesn't want to kill me, or any other real-life trans person, any more than they want to kill real paper boys or romance novelists or mathematicians. But it still makes me want to throw up every time I see it.
When actual transgender women have actually been killed because actual men couldn't bear the thought that someone who 'wasn't actually a woman' might try to seduce them, seeing the same scenario play out in a game isn't so funny.

So, yeah. If you could please chuck that monster, that'd be great.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 12:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kallio

There's one monster I'd really like to see removed: the 'Newly Female Contestant'.

Second the motion.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 03:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I mean, I get that it's just a reference to all the fifteen-year-old boys who play female characters in online games and make total asses of themselves. I laugh at them too.

That's probably the only reason I found that monster funny the first time around, having been a fifteen-year-old boy at some point doing the same damn thing. (I can admit it now, it's been a good thirteen years since then.) Maybe it can be re-written a little bit to be more obvious?

...I mean...I didn't get the joke at all. Neutral What are you talking about?

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, March 08 2011 @ 11:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I mean, I get that it's just a reference to all the fifteen-year-old boys who play female characters in online games and make total asses of themselves. I laugh at them too. And I get that whoever wrote the monster probably doesn't want to kill me, or any other real-life trans person, any more than they want to kill real paper boys or romance novelists or mathematicians. But it still makes me want to throw up every time I see it.
When actual transgender women have actually been killed because actual men couldn't bear the thought that someone who 'wasn't actually a woman' might try to seduce them, seeing the same scenario play out in a game isn't so funny.

If you pay closer attention to the text, it isn't about Transgenderism, really...it's about 15-year-old-boys playing as females whose body shapes/measurements/whathaveyou are physically impossible, or at most would be unnerving and unattractive. Or playing into a heavy stereotype. ("Tee Hee? Who the hell says Tee hee?")

If it still offends you after looking at it from another angle, then I'd recommend a petition to later the description so it's more clear that it's not an attack on transgenderism in general, but even then, it got through because the mods/admin didn't deem it offensive.

Maybe a more robust "Rate This monster" system might be a good idea, with an option to go back and change your rating on a monster if you changed your mind, and put in a short explanation of why you rated it low/high.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 01:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

If you pay closer attention to the text, it isn't about Transgenderism, really...it's about 15-year-old-boys playing as females whose body shapes/measurements/whathaveyou are physically impossible, or at most would be unnerving and unattractive. Or playing into a heavy stereotype. ("Tee Hee? Who the hell says Tee hee?")

If it still offends you after looking at it from another angle, then I'd recommend a petition to later the description so it's more clear that it's not an attack on transgenderism in general, but even then, it got through because the mods/admin didn't deem it offensive.

Maybe a more robust "Rate This monster" system might be a good idea, with an option to go back and change your rating on a monster if you changed your mind, and put in a short explanation of why you rated it low/high.

If you pay closer attention to what Kallio said, then she actually does realise this already.

I can see where she's coming from. I still get a minor niggle everytime I run up against the mathematician, being one myself.

Well that's not so bad. Mathematicians might be subjected to crap stereotypes, but we don't generally have problems with extreme violence. So it's only a minor niggle. I'll live with it and laugh at myself.

If this is really upsetting Kallio however, and she's pretty clear that it is, then I can see a case for getting rid of it.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

Second the motion.

Chiming back in here again - when I seconded, I couldn't even define exactly why I had, other than the fact that any kind of gender-related prejudice makes my blood boil, so I went looking for any kind of data. My son pointed me to this.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been watching this discussion back and forth, and I can see both sides of it.
It could be taken as a slam against the TG crowd, but it was never meant to be such. We have encounters for children, small animals, government officials, writers, ignorant newbies, old women... The list goes on. I highly doubt that any of these were meant to be any sort of deep social commentary.
Maybe consider it a frustration vent for those who think the process is done quickly and 'perfect'ly?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply