Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 If I could change one small thing on The Island
 |  Printable Version
Silcatra
 Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

If I could change one small thing on the Island, I would have both Banter and Story chat's last comment post at the same area. The lopsided tracking now is ridiculous.

Sidenote, I'm for a distraction when you get a gift. Some people tab through their NewDay screen too quickly to notice "oh, hey, a present!"

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I would make the list of players you've referred to the island chronologically sorted so that new names were always on top and stayed that way. Cuz the way it is now, the list shuffles itself every time you go back to check it, making it very difficult to find new names once the list starts getting long.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

PHP Formatted Code
$sql = "SELECT name,level,refererawarded FROM " . db_prefix("accounts") . " WHERE referer={$session['user']['acctid']} ORDER BY dragonkills,level";

becomes
PHP Formatted Code
$sql = "SELECT name,level,refererawarded FROM " . db_prefix("accounts") . " WHERE referer={$session['user']['acctid']} ORDER BY acctid desc, dragonkills, level";

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

wait, what? i dont understand all that broken code... Question

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is just a thing I do. People ask for fixes/changes on the forums, I post the implementation for it, it gets ignored. It's a hobby. It doesn't always get ignored. The factory image problem got fixedeventually. And the secret room password issue was fixed a while after I posted a fix for that.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Oh i see. well that's... helpful? i think? im not quite sure. but its nice of you to go through the effort anyway.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Beeps

This is just a thing I do. People ask for fixes/changes on the forums, I post the implementation for it, it gets ignored. It's a hobby. It doesn't always get ignored. The factory image problem got fixedeventually. And the secret room password issue was fixed a while after I posted a fix for that.

Mate, you wouldn't fucking believe the backlog of shit I've got mounted up right now. I don't just ignore code corrections for no reason, y'know. I'll get to your stack hopefully sometime this month, when I do the next round of fixing-the-wee-kinks - right now I've gotta fix my development machine and finish up the new monster conversions.

If I asked you to put all your code changes together and email them to me in a couple of weeks so I can do them all at once, would you be willing?

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, I know. I'm just fooling. And yeah, I'd be happy to providing I can remember where all the stuff is. I think Sessine forwarded you the info from the Titans thread. Not all of it is fixes, some is just "improvements" people have asked for. Or didn't ask for!

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Beeps

Mate, you wouldn't fucking believe the backlog of shit I've got mounted up right now. I don't just ignore code corrections for no reason, y'know. I'll get to your stack hopefully sometime this month, when I do the next round of fixing-the-wee-kinks - right now I've gotta fix my development machine and finish up the new monster conversions.

If I asked you to put all your code changes together and email them to me in a couple of weeks so I can do them all at once, would you be willing?

I've hung around enough official game forums to know that the biggest favor a developing team can do is acknowledge their players. It's a thousand times more frustrating for a player to feel like they're making suggestions to a brick wall than to a disagreeing recipient. It's why we like your oh-so-timely Monday Updates. Wink Keep trucking on, CMJ, just keep us in the loop. As players, we're all invested in seeing the game improve.

And Beeps, thanks for piecing through all the code and thinking up the fixes so often. It definitely will help CMJ, I'm sure.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, May 17 2011 @ 11:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A rather rambling post about Teleport beacons.

There are now 29 active beacons. When you use a One-Shot, that's a long long list - nearly four times as long as the number of outposts. It looks even longer, with the long house names that wrap onto two or three lines. A few times, I've accidentally gone to the wrong place by buttonmashing too fast (usually, I didn't even mean to use the OST, I had just put it in my bandolier to lighten the backpack for travelling, and sudden monster and argh dammit not again where am I this time).

That's a confusing long list for a rookie to find, when they first try pressing the shiny Use button on a OST. Thirty-seven placenames, while they may only recognise one! That's also a lot of places that they may have no idea what these things are, where they are, or why/how they suddenly got there. Rookies aside, I also expect that not everyone is as map-geeky as me and knows the whole map and all the houses by heart. When you're floating in the void, deciding where to go, how do you chose? And, also, if even a quarter of the places on the map end up with a Beacon, that's going to be a list hundreds of entries long, every time someone uses a OST.

So, a few suggestions for improving this, before it becomes a problem. How about ...

• A hide/display toggle for the houses, below the cities?
  • A one-line explanation of teleport beacons - possibly in the use text rather than the nav bar?
  • Have houses with beacons display alphabetically?
  • Houses display in order of beacon activation? (I think this is the current system.)
  • Houses display by X-coordinate?
  • Houses display by Y-coordinate?
  • Houses display by nearest city?
  • There's a preference to chose how to sort them, like we've had for the backpack?
  • Houses display with their coordinates as well as their names?
  • In-game, you can buy an add-on for your map, that displays the beacons? (meanwhile, have a look at the third tab on my Island map template)
  • When using a OST, you pick your destination from not a list but a map, like this? Possibly once you've bought the beacons map add-on?
  • To stop idiot misclicks and buttonmashes like mine, remove the hotkeys for selecting your destination?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Wednesday, May 18 2011 @ 07:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

A rather rambling post about Teleport beacons.

• Houses display in order of beacon activation? (I think this is the current system.)

They're sorted by hid. House ID. In other words, the oldest dwellings go on the top of the list, newer dwellings near the bottom.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Thursday, May 19 2011 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A few requests for the Gifting Station. Some of these are new, some aren't.

- A card, attached to the gift. I would so enjoy taunting people with "Enjoy this Large Medkit, you'll need it if you're going to do a Bastard Rank."
- Could the name of the giftee be repeated before I am about to send the gift? Currently it's text reads The KittyMorph reaches below his counter and brings up a clipboard on which he writes down the name of your nominated contestant. "Okay, I've got the name - now, what would you like to send?" -- If I could see the actual name, that'd be handy. I sometimes select the wrong person from the list.
- If there's only one search result for the name I entered, can we skip the step of actually clicking that name?
- The option to do the same thing again. Sometimes, I just feel like sending 65 rocks to Rioshi.
- Searching for a particular item among 70 other items in the gifting station is quite troublesome. Can the list of items you can gift be separated into categories?

Suggested categories:

• eBoy items and everything that doesn't fall into the other categories.
  • Cards
  • Hunters Lodge Items
  • Mementos
  • Memento moulds

That should cover it for now.

Profile Email Website
Mothball
 Thursday, May 19 2011 @ 09:23 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

If I could change...a few small things....

..The ability to turn off and on Hotkeys would be very nice. Many a time am I but a word or two away from finishing a rather long post, and BAM, I accidentally go to the dwelling entrance, because the text box deselected. This is particularly troublesome in locked rooms which I don't have the key for, but was let into. To have this option not be in preferences, but beneath all the links, so you can disable/enable it as needed, would be incredibly nice.

...Also, having preferences available out of the outposts, preferably have them anywhere, and items also usable in dwellings. So then you don't have to leave the room to tweak a custom something or 'nother, or change your description, or such.

And...the final also... to have the Memento Mold editable, and have these edits affect the copies. If we can add an attribute and have it affect all the copies, why not edits? It'd be nice to fix a typo, or update a use text, or perhaps even have a changing emote. Perhaps have this cost equal to the added text? Or something...

Profile Email
Memories
 Friday, May 20 2011 @ 12:08 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Just registered so i could post a minor suggestion and a more major one although, improbably, the minor one would probably take a ridiculous amount of work to do (though maybe very little, i really don't know), and the major one would take very little work i am pretty sure. Not sure if we are meant to post bigger suggestions here, so if i am doing something wrong, i'm sorry, and i can make a new thread for it, or whatever i am meant to do.

Minor thing:

So, maybe this isn't even something people would want, but the ability to drop crates, stones and/or wood inside a building. If you're leaving something for someone, or for a particular guild, or whatever, i think it might be nice to leave it inside their building so that people who are just wondering by can't nab it. Granted people could just go inside the building, and then nab it, but still.

Bigger thing:

Hurmn. Actually, sorry for the bait and switch, but this isn't really a change to the island, and is more a suggestion along the lines of merchandise, so it isn't something that would fit here is it? Well, i am not sure what the deal is with those sort of suggestions, so i guess i will wait and see if someone responds to this with where i should post it.

Oh, hey! another minor thing:

At least for firefox, my browser of choice, you have to re-enable to spell check everytime you post something in banter or story chat, if you want it to be spell checked. Would it be possible to change that?

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, May 20 2011 @ 03:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Memories

So, maybe this isn't even something people would want, but the ability to drop crates, stones and/or wood inside a building. If you're leaving something for someone, or for a particular guild, or whatever, i think it might be nice to leave it inside their building so that people who are just wondering by can't nab it. Granted people could just go inside the building, and then nab it, but still.

You can drop stone and wood inside a dwelling's Shed if you go inside and 'Examine the materials stock'. No one but the dwelling owner or a Master Key holder will be able to remove it.

Crates probably won't ever be droppable in dwellings, because then it'd be easier to carry crates over to your next DK, and that's not cool.

Hurmn. Actually, sorry for the bait and switch, but this isn't really a change to the island, and is more a suggestion along the lines of merchandise, so it isn't something that would fit here is it? Well, i am not sure what the deal is with those sort of suggestions, so i guess i will wait and see if someone responds to this with where i should post it.

You can just post it in the general Requests, Ideas and Feedback forum. http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/index.php?forum=18

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, May 22 2011 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A few suggestions for Inventory sorting:

• Jump-to-section links as hotkeyed navs - or at least have them visible between each inventory section
  • Toggle the different inventory sections open and closed
  • Automatically scale the fullness/overloaded bar, since the Greasemonkey script only occasionally works on Chrome
  • Transfer All of a kind option from backpack to bandolier and vice versa - this might save pageloads, if it could be coded easily
  • And, most importantly, have Fight Items At Top as one of the hotkeyed sort options. Nowdays I press A to do my Bangs, then Q to get the Zaps, and then start scrolling around as they jump down and down the page while I'm moving the batch. If grenades, monster repellants and teleporters - in that order - could be moved to the top of your inventory, that would save a lot of scrolling.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Darkmoon
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 06:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

- More stock of special currently out of stock items. Not really sure what makes 'em special, but that builder's case seems right up my alley.
- More things to buy with req.
- A way to speed up the space-time continuum... need moar new days!

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I would allow the leader of a clan to send a distraction to all of the clans members at once. Because i need to do that fairly often and it is a bloody pain to have to do them one at a time.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 11:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Raleigh

I would allow the leader of a clan to send a distraction to all of the clans members at once. Because i need to do that fairly often and it is a bloody pain to have to do them one at a time.

Your wish has been granted retroactively!

Distractions -> Clan Distractions.

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Darkmoon

- A way to speed up the space-time continuum... need moar new days!

You can buy more chronospheres for 250 Supporter Points or an insta-New Day for 25.

Also, if you have Global Banter open on the side or directly under the Island page, you can't go to the Enquirer; you have to close GB first, then click the link. Could we just have the link automatically close GB?

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply