Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 If I could change one small thing on The Island
 |  Printable Version
Beeps
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 12:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Quote by: Raleigh

I would allow the leader of a clan to send a distraction to all of the clans members at once. Because i need to do that fairly often and it is a bloody pain to have to do them one at a time.

Your wish has been granted retroactively!

Distractions -> Clan Distractions.

Unless it's been fixed, clan leaders can't use that. They have to have someone of a lower clan status do it for them.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 01:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Beeps

Quote by: Raleigh

I would allow the leader of a clan to send a distraction to all of the clans members at once. Because i need to do that fairly often and it is a bloody pain to have to do them one at a time.

Your wish has been granted retroactively!

Distractions -> Clan Distractions.

Unless it's been fixed, clan leaders can't use that. They have to have someone of a lower clan status do it for them.

I get Clan Mail all the time, unless by Clan Distraction you don't mean the circulars that leaders can and do send out periodically.

Even though it's exactly the same thing.

Dent

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, May 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry, I was thinking founder. I forgot that leaders are a completely different role.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Jolene
 Tuesday, May 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

...i would not make the South hotkey the same as the Bang grenade hotkey.
I have wasted too many of the Bang grenades while in a hurry.

Profile Email
jakell
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 06:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

It would be neat if getting more perfectly timed rounds did a little more for you then just getting a medal for a good number of perfectly timed hits. Perhaps a slight buff to attack/defense, something on the order of building up to 1% for each 10 perfectly timed hits might be small enough not to be too unbalancing, but still a pat on the back for those who work really hard to time their battles. This might have a slightly larger chance for abuse now that you can perfectly time your retargetting of pack monsters, but still might be nice.

Another possibility would be favor with the Watcher, because come on - the audience loves seeing us put on masterful displays of fighting skill. Perhaps a several percent possibility of getting a single point of favor whenever you had 10 or more perfectly timed hits? Enough to pique the audience's interest, and then perhaps grab Her attention as well?
Either as a standard, or perhaps as a multiplier while fighting in the cages on the failboat. Each perfect hit adds 1% to the favor you get; rounded to the nearest point, of course. The first few perfect hits don't do much, but once you get 5 perfect hits, were you to get 20 favor points, you'd now get 21.

Perhaps there is some untapped potential here...

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To be fairly to-the-point, Timed Fighting doesn't need to give more bonus than it currently does. Timed Fighting bonuses are actually already really sizable, and I hear many players have too poor a connection to ever use the mechanic itself. Because of this, we can't risk widening the gap between players with stable and fast latency and those with a shaky or slow connection.

Maybe we could give bigger rewards to chained-timing if there was a wider window of when you could hit the button for the poor-ping players. If your next target is at 5 seconds, maybe you should have a smaller attack bonus if you press between 4.5 to 4.9 seconds or 5.1 to 5.5 seconds. That would close the gap quite a distance and allow for extra boosts to perfect-timing chains.

EDIT:

Wow, I'm not double-posting!

Anyway, just thought of one small thing I wanted changed on the Island.

Have the bio record how many DKs you've done as each race. That way, you'll know if you're 2% human, 6% kittymorph, 12% mutant, 6% joker, 6% midget, 4% robot, 64% zombie.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 03:00 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Have the bio record how many DKs you've done as each race. That way, you'll know if you're 2% human, 6% kittymorph, 12% mutant, 6% joker, 6% midget, 4% robot, 64% zombie.

Unfortunately the game doesn't know. It has not been keeping track of character history by race. If it started now, well, "63% Joker since, uh... since we started keeping stats" just wouldn't have the same RP ring to it.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 05:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not really as swayed by, "If we did it earlier, sure, but now it's too late," arguments for game changes as I once was. While sure, it won't be accurate from the beginning of the character's life, if we implement it now, in time it will be probably go towards what it would have been otherwise anyway, except for the whole "tried this race once, hated it, never tried it again" change from 1% to 0%.

Seriously, I look at it from a "better late than never" perspective. Implement a recording feature that we know will be wrong at first, and gradually it will become a mostly reasonably accurate measurement tool. It doesn't have to say, "43% midget since May 2011", we can just accept that it's off when it'll say, "Uncouth Ruffian Awesome Fred has been throughout his stay on the Island: A% Human, B% Kittymorph, C% Zombie, D% Mutant, E% Midget, F% Robot, and G% Joker."

If it's REALLY a concern, we can make it a limited view. "Over the past 20 encounters with the drive, Uncouth Ruffian Awesome Fred has had 13 DKs as a Zombie (65%), 2 DKs as a Midget (10%), 3 DKs as a Mutant (15%), 1 DK as a Robot (5%), 1 DK as a Joker (5%), 0 DKs as a Human (0%), 0 DKs as a Kittymorph (0%)." This gives the sense that your body more than 20 DKs ago leaves such trace amounts of that characteristic in your new body as is that they're negligible. Moreover, it's a flat-out accurate tool once you've done 20 DKs since your beginning.

And of course, it's an RP thing you can choose to use, or hide away so that it doesn't conflict with your Custom Race.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 06:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like Awesome Fred's idea, but I wouldn't want it implemented. I'm not a Jokombidgbotantmorph, I'm the race I play. If there's still a lingering KittyMorph in my Jokerform, I'll get a custom race and be a JokerMorph, or I'll add it to my bio. What I was 20 DKs ago may have shaped me, but it hasn't formed me and it's probably long gone. I don't know, having it displayed doesn't appeal to me from either a RP perspective or stat perspective.

Small changes for inventory:

- Collapsible inventory sections. (Auto-hide the contents of the cardcase/hunters lodge bag/shoe box like the donation coinslot)
- The links to the various sections on the left side panel, under Sort By.
- Reverse sorting. Currently the items you buy/pick up go way down on the list. But those are the things I just bought, so I want them on top!

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 29 2011 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like Awesome Fred's idea, but I wouldn't want it implemented. I'm not a Jokombidgbotantmorph, I'm the race I play. If there's still a lingering KittyMorph in my Jokerform, I'll get a custom race and be a JokerMorph, or I'll add it to my bio. What I was 20 DKs ago may have shaped me, but it hasn't formed me and it's probably long gone. I don't know, having it displayed doesn't appeal to me from either a RP perspective or stat perspective.

Small changes for inventory:

- Collapsible inventory sections. (Auto-hide the contents of the cardcase/hunters lodge bag/shoe box like the donation coinslot)
- The links to the various sections on the left side panel, under Sort By.
- Reverse sorting. Currently the items you buy/pick up go way down on the list. But those are the things I just bought, so I want them on top!

My suggestion wasn't really for RP reasons, just for recording my stats so I could look back and say, "Huh, I guess I play Zombie A LOT." Obviously I could write it down myself, but it was in bios, I could compare my playstyle tendencies to others' and ask those players about why they do the races they do. The RP explanations I was giving was more of an explanation to the recording or a suggestion of what we can do with the stats. We don't need to say what percentage the player is by Race if that's undesirable, that's fine with me.

As far as Maniak's Collapsible inventory sections, yes please. In addition, remove all weight from cards and the card case. Really. If having more than the limit is not going to have any penalty, loads of people will do it. These loads of people will have screens stretched very wide whenever they open their inventory because of that red bar telling you that you've over-capacity. That bar is quite annoying.

Profile Email
Darkmoon
 Sunday, May 29 2011 @ 03:37 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Housing tools - It would be awesome if after I finished decorating if I had a choice to go see the room I just built instead of the entrance or map. Potentially, I could be making a LOT of rooms and this option would be really swell. It would also be awesome if maybe there was a 'housing page' where you controlled everything normally handled by the side bar and it showed all of the rooms, completion factors and other misc housing issues (like the settings tab gives you a separate console for your game settings/bio/etc). I don't suppose it would be possible to have some way to add a clickable URL or IMG tag within the text code of your house kinda like on the forums?

Profile Email
Sonny
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 09:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

After getting food it would be neat if one would stay in a diner, like with the pubs, and not get returned to the outpost page. Would save some mouse clicks.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 09:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On a similar note, I would like RP spaces in the diners. That'd be cool.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 11:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

...I would have the `i code fixed for Distractions. I'd love to be able to use italics, but right now, any instance of `i breaks the preview.

Profile Email
Anna Dewhurst
 Thursday, June 02 2011 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Iriana

...I would have the `i code fixed for Distractions. I'd love to be able to use italics, but right now, any instance of `i breaks the preview.

Yes please!

Profile Email
tkaa
 Thursday, June 02 2011 @ 10:03 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

One thing on I would like to see changed is navigating Sheila's Shack O' Shiny.

First off, it would be great if the stats and effects conferred by all of one type of item were visible on the page that lists them (e.g. on the Weapons page, we can see that a Spork will give me 1 attack point, a Butter Knife gives 2, and so on). This would save a lot of clicking back and forth between the item description and the general list.

Most times when I enter this store, I want to find out how close I am to affording a better item (let's say weapon for the sake of example). To accomplish this task, I first have to click on the "Examine Weapons" link, then click "sell first" to find out how much I'll get as a trade-in, then click "No" (because I don't actually want to sell yet), then "Examine Weapons" again to get back to the list of weapons that I might want to buy. And finally, I have to click on the "Examine" link for each separate weapon to find out how much it will actually cost me. That's at least 5 clicks just to find out how much req I need to earn before I can buy that next item. There must be a better way this could be set up. Perhaps the trade-in value of my current weapon could be listed at the top of the weapons page, or pre-subtracted from the listed item costs.

Also, the first link on each of the item lists is "Page 1," but so far there's only one page which makes this a link that just reloads the page. Perhaps the page links could be displayed only when there are multiple pages.

Profile Email
tkaa
 Thursday, June 02 2011 @ 10:18 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

There are a couple of small changes I'd like to see to the implementation of the robot race. After fighting multiple enemies, the usual standby hotkeys (S & A) are hijacked by links for cleaning the carcasses. This just leads to wasted stamina, especially frustrating in a race that can't eat to regain stamina.

It would save clicks if standing by didn't automatically take me to the overclocking configuration page. I rarely adjust my overclocking, but I standby after almost every battle.

As for major changes, I second everything that was said earlier about robots. Especially the ability to cool down or at least turn off overclocking from inside the Abandoned Factory, and about making stamina consumption for healing proportional to a percent of your total hp.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 02 2011 @ 11:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tkaa

Most times when I enter this store, I want to find out how close I am to affording a better item (let's say weapon for the sake of example). To accomplish this task, I first have to click on the "Examine Weapons" link, then click "sell first" to find out how much I'll get as a trade-in, then click "No" (because I don't actually want to sell yet), then "Examine Weapons" again to get back to the list of weapons that I might want to buy. And finally, I have to click on the "Examine" link for each separate weapon to find out how much it will actually cost me. That's at least 5 clicks just to find out how much req I need to earn before I can buy that next item. There must be a better way this could be set up. Perhaps the trade-in value of my current weapon could be listed at the top of the weapons page, or pre-subtracted from the listed item costs.

Perhaps instead of buy item, it could be trade in current weapon for new weapon, then it does the arithmetic for you. Gives you a total price and a trade in price? This would still cover the previous situation of not having a weapon quite happily, fists having a trade in value of 0 req.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, June 03 2011 @ 03:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And there's something to be said for having to go through like twelve screens to get a 40 req spork when there's no confirmation screen for buying a 100 cig land claim stake.

On an unrelated note, I'd like a confirmation screen while buying a land claim stake.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, June 03 2011 @ 05:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Darkmoon

Housing tools - It would be awesome if after I finished decorating if I had a choice to go see the room I just built instead of the entrance or map. Potentially, I could be making a LOT of rooms and this option would be really swell. It would also be awesome if maybe there was a 'housing page' where you controlled everything normally handled by the side bar and it showed all of the rooms, completion factors and other misc housing issues (like the settings tab gives you a separate console for your game settings/bio/etc). I don't suppose it would be possible to have some way to add a clickable URL or IMG tag within the text code of your house kinda like on the forums?

I'd mucked with this a bit on my test server. The main reason I could see why he'd leave it off is simply because if the option to go to the room is available based on the job itself, it's possible that people coming in and completing jobs could get the ability to bypass any locked rooms and enter areas they're not meant to be in. The obvious solution here is to make it an owner-only option.

The image and url options are... Tricky. You could theoretically write something to do that, but it would be icky. It wouldn't be too bad if you wanted to just make it detect the urls and load them, but it's still finicky. And unfortunately, as we've seen, having completely unchecked HTML entry for users is just too damn risky.

Quote by: tkaa

The equipment changes you're requesting are (to me) entirely reasonable, but would probably mean heavy reworking of the module, which isn't a small one. It is a change I'd be willing to work on, but it's a lot of work, so it's the sort of thing I'd have to know I wasn't wasting my time on.

Quote by: Matthew

On an unrelated note, I'd like a confirmation screen while buying a land claim stake.

I posted the code for a confirmation on the land stakes some time ago. I think. I did post that, right? I can't find my posts on this forum for the life of me, but there's a zip file on my server for it.

I'm just gonna throw this out there - If CMJ is at all interested in having someone on the team to do interface reworking...

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply