Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 WCG Rewards - discussion thread
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 06:10 PM UTC (Read 8126 times)  
Forum Moderator

Well, I voted. But I really wanted to pick something a little fancier than any of the options: A trickle of supporter points... AND a beautiful, shiny medal!

Because, really. Who deserves a medal more than folks who are curing cancer?

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 07:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I voted for stamina reduction, but that's because I didn't stop to think of just how gamebreaking that would be. It would be wonderful, yes, but...

People running the WCG would have a WAY unfair advantage over those who don't.

With that in mind, a trickle of SP would probably be the way to go, it's just a little bit and most Hunter's Lodge items don't really affect gameplay.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm with Sil. I voted without thinking. I like the 10% stam boost idea, and, to borrow a minimeme:

medalsmedalsMEDALSmedalsMEDALSmedalsmedals

Oh, and I'd not say no to a trickle of SP. In that scenario, would we be able to convert the cobblestones already accrued into a (farfarfar reduced) number of SPs?

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 08:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was between the Cosmetic enhancements/Other Such Trinkets subject and the Supporter Points. *wants to pick both*

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 08:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: g_rock

I'm with Sil. I voted without thinking. I like the 10% stam boost idea, and, to borrow a minimeme:

medalsmedalsMEDALSmedalsMEDALSmedalsmedals

Oh, and I'd not say no to a trickle of SP. In that scenario, would we be able to convert the cobblestones already accrued into a (farfarfar reduced) number of SPs?

I'm with this one.

I ran WCG at some time, but my computer life-style doesn't match (and my traitorous imp of a computer is too evil-old to run pretty much anything not of his taste). I'd be one of those to say no to exclusive content for the cancer curators( Wink ).

This is too simple and out of the goal's idea to run the WCG application for a short time and get all you want from the exclusivity then uninstall it.

Give badges, yes. Giving some extras concerning the game system (some extra stamina) is not impossible too. Making a shiny pet rock mount only for the cobblers? Nay; I predict it'd backfire some way or another in a rather probable manner.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
bl0b
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: g_rock

I don't think that cobblestones-to-DP conversion is what is on offer, at least according to MotD. They are to be awarded on each new game day. Not too keen on that idea either. I'd much prefer them to be awarded with the 24-hour checking cycle, since sometimes I run BOINC client, but don't have time to play II. Not that I'm running it for points, but I know I would feel a bit cheated, if you would have to log in just to collect points. 5 points per 24 hours would give about one and a half title changes a month. Enough to cover the "electricity bill", I suppose.

Other options are stam. cost reduction, bonus experience, medals or nothing.
Stamina cost reduction? Sounds interesting, but that would probably double my time playing II and I already spend too much time on it. Also, that would be only beneficial on ranks that are not too difficult (ranks where you actually run out of stamina, and not favor by the end of the day) and only to robots., as they are the only race that can't enjoy Miu-Miu's potions.

Bonus experience? That would be good, I think, especially since there are stats where noone has reached level 100 yet and according to rumors, season 2 might be half way through.

A medal would be enough for me. Gives you a shiny bling you can brag about, without making the game unbalanced. Add a HoF for cobblestones collected, and I'm good. Not really doing it for a reward, besides, it's an excuse to be lazy and not turn off my computer overnight. But I guess if everyone were running WCG, there wouldn't be any unbalance anyway. (except for alts, which wouldn't be getting any cobblestones for obvious reasons)

But I guess the point of these offers is incentive to get more people to join WCG, so medals might not really appeal to everyone.
Maybe the right question would be "If you aren't running BOINC yet, what would get you to join?" My guess answer to that would most probably be DP.
So, my answer depends a bit on how the question is ment. If it's just a reward for us that run our computers overnight, I'm pretty sure none of us joined to get any bonuses and medals would most probably enough (noone can say no to a shiny medal). If it's to draw more people to do the same, then appealing to greed might be an idea, altough, not sure how that would affect donations.

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 11:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I voted for the experience buff, because it sounds like an interesting way to give people more stamina without directly giving them more stamina. I really don't like the idea of a 50% stamina buff - that sounds crazy gamebreaking to me. Making everything twice as easy to do would not only give WCG users a huge advantage, but significantly change how they play the game. I mean, I'd love a 50% stamina buff - I just don't think it would be good for the game to give it to people.
Cost and exp buffs to roleplaying actions like decorating is a really interesting idea, but then players who want to run the WCG but don't want to roleplay are not really getting much of a benefit. The trickle of supporter points sounds nice, but 2 a day means it'll take a long time to get anywhere worth going, and it's not really giving anything very special to WCG users - people could just donate to get the same end result, and it would be faster.
I think a combination of a few of these options sounds the most interesting. Maybe a special mount, a trickle of supporter points, a very tiny stamina buff... that sort of thing.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 01:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cosmetic enhancements, et al. - Ashtu needs all the help he can get!

Seriously, we're doing this anyway, even without tangible rewards - at least I am, just for the warm fuzzies - what's changed? I hate to think we have to bribe people to do good.

(And a short, minor on-topic hijack - been running WCG 24/7 for many, many months - then started getting emails saying no input from me since July?? Huh? Anybody else have this happen? Looks like a clean reinstall and reset to defaults may have solved it. I think.)

Thank you.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 01:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A hefty experience buff would be excellent. It even jives thematically with the WCG itself - are we not lending our computers essentially to level up our collective Curing Cancer skill, etc.?

I think any but the smallest stamina buff would be somewhat gamebreaking.

I love the idea of a medal as a little add-on, or other quirky benefits that are fun but don't really affect gameplay overmuch.

I think that a trickle of supporter points would be like shooting yourself in the foot, Dan. You live off donations. There are very limited ways, currently, to gain supporter points other than by either donating or doing things that directly assist in the growth and development of the game (rating monsters, submitting good ideas). And that's a good model. We want to encourage WCG participation, but we don't want to simultaneously undermine the sustainability of the game, even in a small way; that would be counterproductive.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Kel!
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 02:04 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Sry, I'm almost off to bed for a reason, so I won't take the time to *seriously* read everything anyone has posted here before ... Big Grin

(hey, I *tried*. Honestly!)

I *do* remember people saying that they have "installed the client on every machine they had access to" ... in, what more often than not, sounded work-related to me.... go figure

-> So that, for me, *flat-out* disqualifies Cobblestones from providing *any* boni tieing in neatly with plain standard gameplay.

-> And that is why me vote for unspecified *other*.

It's also a *bad* idea to just make any advantages stemming from running the BOINC client just depending on whether it just has been run. I don't think the idea is that people run it for ten (or twenty) minutes a day, and *that's that*.

There could be *way* more lengthy talk here, but... please see above. I got a pillow waiting for me, so see ya Big Grin

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 04:19 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

First: as someone who has been running the client since the team was first proposed here, let me say that it is highly unlikely that people would intentionally run the client for ten or twenty minutes a day and then turn it off. That would be far too much trouble! (Unless, of course, they are only able to have their computer on for a short period per day, in which case, widow's mite and all that, they deserve credit for doing as much as they can.)

But really... it's set and forget. Entirely unobtrusive. Doesn't slow things down at all. It only uses those cycles the user wasn't going to use anyway.

As I understand it, the proposal is to reward having run the client at all. (If you've got it installed right this can happen automatically when you turn the computer on.) As bl0b points out, the idea here is to provide an incentive for people who aren't currently running it to sign up. Once they are signed up, they'll, most of them, be contributing as much as they can whenever their computer is on.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 04:44 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Sessine's right. If we restrict ourselves to stuff that can be turned on and off at will (extra flavour text, Stamina buffs and suchlike) rather than intermittent or one-time rewards (mounts, special items and such) then how it'll work is that once each 24 hours, we check to see if the runtime has increased. If so, then we'll activate the reward - if not, then we won't. So, running the client for ten minutes and then uninstalling it won't do you any good at all.

Yeah, some arseholes will abuse it by activating the software for two minutes a day, but they'll be in the minority by a long shot.

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 05:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

But really... it's set and forget. Entirely unobtrusive. Doesn't slow things down at all. It only uses those cycles the user wasn't going to use anyway.

This isn't entirely true... on my system, when running the client, sometimes my comp will just shutdown. Not like "We are now shutting down, please stand by" but simply...power cuts off. This could be instability in the Linux client (and maybe 'cause I always just ran the command line client and threw it to another workspace that I don't use, and just use to throw things I want to run in the background)

Downloaded an updated version of the client and going to run it now. Will update on whether it kills my system again or not.
(Also, the page linked from the II WCG group is horrendously outdated. TEN YEARS? AFTER IT PASSES TEN YEARS? (We're a bit past that now...))

Edit: back on topic:

I vote for a small increase in exp gains. Nothing gamebreaking...maybe 10% or 20%? say, whenever you get new cobblestones added, you get a bonus to your exp gains for X newdays afterwards...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 05:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I voted for the DP's, because i'm a poor college kid who's sank far more money into this game than he should have already. If we go with the DP's, what if there were extra rewards when you hit certain levels of cobblestones? I mean, make the DP's apply evenly normally, but give an extra little prize when people hit 100,000 and 500,000 and 1,000,000 and such. I gotta justify the more powerful processor i made my dad pay for somehow...

Profile Email
Bernard
 Friday, October 15 2010 @ 04:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ehm, I voted, I think for the cosmetic whatsits; However, on reflection, I'd prefer to see the ability to donate small stamina buffs in the form of bowls of rice (stopping hunger) which we could gift to rookies; a new and totally useless new skill (well, maybe not useless - but 'cosmetic') such as Chemistry (curing that shit) and/ or for robots the ability to plug in to Islandnet and give the whole Island a mini-stamina-buff through making the whole shebang vibrate*, if, as you say we've progressed things as a whole in real life. Let art imitate life, if you will.

*This sounds wrong.

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, October 15 2010 @ 06:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

Ehm, I voted, I think for the cosmetic whatsits; However, on reflection, I'd prefer to see the ability to donate small stamina buffs in the form of bowls of rice (stopping hunger) which we could gift to rookies; a new and totally useless new skill (well, maybe not useless - but 'cosmetic') such as Chemistry (curing that shit) and/ or for robots the ability to plug in to Islandnet and give the whole Island a mini-stamina-buff through making the whole shebang vibrate*, if, as you say we've progressed things as a whole in real life. Let art imitate life, if you will.

*This sounds wrong.

I like THIS approach!

Buuut, topically, those specials are too SERIOUS.

What about instead of rice bowls, we good gift cookies?
Instead of Chemistry, curing crabmeat (curing cancer)

I like Robots vibrating the Island as some kind of freaky vibrational massage just fine.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Friday, October 15 2010 @ 10:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

What about instead of rice bowls, we good gift cookies?
Instead of Chemistry, curing crabmeat (curing cancer)
I like Robots vibrating the Island as some kind of freaky vibrational massage just fine.

Rice cakes!
Rice cakes with crabmeat!
Vibrating rice cakes!

Thank you.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Friday, October 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Personally, I feel the reward system that's just been put in place is pretty good; a definite game benefit whilst not being game breaking.
although I wonder why you get a stamina bonus for five gamedays when there are six gamedays every 24 hours ;-)

Perhaps also a medal based on the number of cobblestones accrued - make them do something Wink

Profile Email
Tyr
 Friday, October 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I like Bernard's idea. Always in favor of ways to encourage Rooks, though there'd have to be restrictions so it doesn't get abused.

I've been thinking about cobblestones. There's a lot of them about, and it would be nice if they had a use that wasn't unbalancing. There's been a lot of emphasis on collaboration this season, right? So why don't we build something? Contestants could donate stones to the cause. They can either be straight stones, used for flooring, or they can be ground up to make concrete (which would take more of them).

Thematically - a hosptial would be good. You could get a check up for a small buff every once in a while, but if you go too often, you get labled a hypochondriac and get a debuff instead.
Maybe sometimes you go and find out that you have Herbert's Screaming Measles, or a little something you picked up at the brothel, which could be a good quest starter.

Doctor: "Go find this plant in the jungle"
Contestant: "Don't you have medicine here?"
Doctor: "Yes, but you don't have insurance. Get out."

And maybe it's a teaching hospital, so there's the chance that you get an intern poking at you for the usual chance of buffs/nonbuffs. Or you go in for a cough and come out with one arm, cause they mixed up the beds.

Or maybe we could build a supercomputer. Because it's made out of rock, it's not the superest supercomputer, and it has a tendency to break down. Maybe most of the time it tells you things like "THERE IS A 95.43% CHANCE YOU WILL EAT STEAK TODAY." or "IT WILL LIKELY RAIN." But sometimes it will tell you which outpost is likely to get attacked next, or that crates just dropped. Or how many Titans there are on the Island. You'd have to put a limit on use - maybe once per game day - so that folks don't just spam it until they get useful information.

I know zilch about coding, so I have no idea if any of this would even be feasible, but I think it would be cool to have something we could point to as a group and say "That. We built that. Because we're awesome."

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Friday, October 15 2010 @ 07:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I voted for for 50% stam buff, but having read this thread and thought of it, it would favor WCG users quite a bit. Instead of that, what if we kept the +10% we have at the moment, and were able to convert the cobblestones into semi-common items: say 1,000-10,000 for a piece of building or some other thing like that? Or perhaps a cobblestone-funded med-tent?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply