Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Where are all the crates?
 |  Printable Version
Ebenezer
 Friday, October 22 2010 @ 09:57 PM UTC (Read 6871 times)  
Forum Moderator

Is it just me, or has it been next to impossible to find crates lately? We've had lots of extended play recently, so I'm sure that people are donating.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe we need more crates dropped per dollar donated?

That's really all I've got. Has this been an issue for any other Islanders aside from myself? Does anyone else have an opinion or suggestion?

Thanks very much!

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Friday, October 22 2010 @ 10:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

^ This. This, this this.

I dropped 22 bucks the other day. Should have been 220 crates, should have been stumbling on them. I scoured half the Island and found six.

And is it just me, or are repellent sprays excruciatingly rare when you do find crates?

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Friday, October 22 2010 @ 11:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Speaking of donating and immediately crate-hunting.

Can we get a random delay between donations registering, and when the crates appear? Or perhaps spread out the crate drops over a period of time after the donation?

It's really not cool that people can donate and, in effect, get a whole bunch of free req because they know the crates are out there right then and nobody else does.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Silcatra
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 12:07 AM UTC  

Quote by: Bakemaster

Speaking of donating and immediately crate-hunting.

Can we get a random delay between donations registering, and when the crates appear? Or perhaps spread out the crate drops over a period of time after the donation?

It's really not cool that people can donate and, in effect, get a whole bunch of free req because they know the crates are out there right then and nobody else does.

1) I don't see a problem with people getting req for crates they've spawned. Not only that, but a lot of people who have donated will tell their friends "If you need req or want to help put some desperately-needed items into the economy, I just donated." Why, because:

2) You have to be a Joker on a phenomenal travel day to be able to cover every square of the Island. Otherwise, there's just no way. You can search in your favorite search areas as other races, but you can't cover the whole Island. So:

3) Other people will still get crates from your donation. Crates drop in randomized areas, and since you can't get to everywhere and all your crates will not be where you search, everyone else is eligible to go out looking for crates elsewhere, or even in your same area. Winner takes it, loser never knows it was there.

Anonymous: Camille
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 12:22 AM UTC  

It's not only that I've found them extremely scarce, recently, but that the new system is making me a little unhappy. It's just that... when I'm jumping all over the island, I move fast. Maybe not terribly so, but fast enough so as to mistake a supply crate for a dwelling and fail to pick it up. I understand the logic of it, but, with few cigarettes and a 10kg backpack, I then have to stop, go to inventory, and open the crate. It's a little bit of a hassle, is all, and a really need those crates, with the high prices at eBoy's that I can't afford.

Perhaps... the old system was more manageable? I might suggest... a "drop all on the map" button, then "drop this item/drop all of these items on the map" button for grenades/one-shots/etc.

Matthew
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 01:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just adding in that I'm also finding crates much, much rarer these days. I used to find at least two or three when I actually went out looking for them; now I'm lucky if I get one per (real) week. eBoy's isn't recovering because no one's getting anything to sell.

Edit: also, I don't know how I feel about the new crate system. On one hand, it's nice to be able to skip them up or hand them out to your friends when you're at the end of a DK and don't need the money... but on the other, it's pretty easy to completely miss them if, like someone said, you're button mashing through the Island right-quick, like I tend to also do. Big Grin

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 01:59 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Matthew

Just adding in that I'm also finding crates much, much rarer these days. I used to find at least two or three when I actually went out looking for them; now I'm lucky if I get one per (real) week. eBoy's isn't recovering because no one's getting anything to sell.

Edit: also, I don't know how I feel about the new crate system. On one hand, it's nice to be able to skip them up or hand them out to your friends when you're at the end of a DK and don't need the money... but on the other, it's pretty easy to completely miss them if, like someone said, you're button mashing through the Island right-quick, like I tend to also do. Big Grin

Well, um. If you're looking for crates, maybe you ought to slow down enough that you can see them?

However, on the main point, I'm with others here -- crates are definitely much, much thinner on the ground than they used to be, and that is why we still have a scarcity economy. Enough donations are coming in for Special Extend, so the drop rate must have been reduced.

I'm going for a long-shot guess here, and saying that this is on purpose.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I'm going for a long-shot guess here, and saying that this is on purpose.

*sighs and gets the tissues*
I used to love crate hunting, too.

*inserts sulking*

Profile Email
Marly
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm not personally a fan of the new system, but that's not here or there on this topic. We can talk about crowded left-hand menus and too much text on your average dwelling-infested square later.

Right now, I'd like crates. I've found two. Just two. Over a period of three weeks. eBoy's has become impractical for many people's game-playing needs and we have yet to establish a black market for these goods. Nicotine gum no longer costs less than dirt. Rat Packs are more expensive than a cheeseburger and are working their way up to twitching steak prices. this should not be; rat packs are not michelin rated!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, um. If you're looking for crates, maybe you ought to slow down enough that you can see them?

By that bit, I meant when I'm just traveling and not particularly looking for them. More than once, with the old system, I've gone on a trip from one Outpost to another and check my inventory and I have stuff I didn't even notice. Is that why the system was changed? To make people have to actually slow down and look for them?

Anyway, not the topic of the thread, I guess.

Profile Email
Mack
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 02:58 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I must have got lucky a couple days ago. I did some traveling (After donating $20 mind you) and stumbled upon at least 6 or 7 crates that day.

I must say, I liked my shiny new Cat Launcher. We really do need increased drop rates though. Or maybe just altered drop item rates. Make rat packs drop more often maybe? There's no need for them to cost more than a good burger.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 03:39 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Nothing's changed in the drop rate - donations have just tailed off since the health insurance thing. I think that sometimes the Special Extend bar does me more harm than good. Basically any time the bar is dropping, the Island isn't making enough money to survive. In this case, the crates must have been eaten up shortly after the health insurance donation drive (which is what put us in Extended Play for so long), and the past week we've had $30-$40 a day.

I'll increase the drop rate, as a temporary fix.

Profile Email Website
KimmyMonstah
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 03:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

*throws the tissues up like snotty confetti* Oh! Well then.
Thank you.

Now I can frolic whilst traveling, again. Crate hunting has that effect on me. I like free stuff.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Nothing's changed in the drop rate - donations have just tailed off since the health insurance thing. I think that sometimes the Special Extend bar does me more harm than good. Basically any time the bar is dropping, the Island isn't making enough money to survive. In this case, the crates must have been eaten up shortly after the health insurance donation drive (which is what put us in Extended Play for so long), and the past week we've had $30-$40 a day.

Also increase the rate at which the bar drops, then!

I loves me that lovely, lovely Special Extend as much as anybody -- maybe more, it's proportionately much more for a robot than for races that can eat. But Extended Play ought to be for more than bare survival. We all need you and Emily to be thinking about coding and running and writing the game, not worrying about whether you can eat, or cover next month's rent, or keep your cats alive. Just because we like it so much, Extended Play and Special Extend are good incentives. We players should have to earn it by donating enough, as a group, to let you live!

(Maybe also figure out a way to show us directly the rate at which donations are coming in? Right now it's not obvious, and most people aren't going to be plotting graphs of donations over time in their heads -- even I wasn't doing that. That's how you get misunderstandings like the one that started this thread: we saw the Special Extend and assumed without thinking about rates of change that, oh, things had to be going pretty much okay on the donations front.)

That said... your players aren't rich, either, most of us. We have tight budgets. A special appeal like the health insurance donation drive won't bring in all new money. A lot of it was most likely already-planned donations, dollars you were already going to get that were given early -- because you asked, and because we like you (and your ideas!) a lot or we wouldn't be playing this wonderful game. Moving donations forward in time is okay for emergencies, but then there's the drought afterwards, and that's not good for you or for the game's economy.

If we can persuade most players by the time they get to be, oh, say... Returning Contestants... to begin a habit of donating just the price of a cup of coffee per month (let alone a beer or a paperback book), your worries would be... well, considerably diminished, anyway.

Perhaps some people here would like to talk about what got them to start donating, not just as a one-time thing but as a regular budget item?

Profile Email
Mack
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 06:06 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I know I've been lacking on the donations lately (Blame a recent move, and rent. They'll pick up soon, I promise.) and I feel that some others may be in the same position. It's hard to allocate money towards just the Island, (As much as we'd love to.) when we have so many other things that need to be addressed like rent or food for ourselves. From what I can tell, many of the people who play on the island are like me, going to school and/or working part-time or full-time low paying jobs. Encouraging them to donate just a small amount even would be a good start. I don't think people see the point of donating such small amounts because they don't think they could get anything useful out of it. And then there are people who don't play for the RP, which leaves them with little reason to actually donate. There's not much for the non-RPer to purchase. Though it's hard to come up with a balanced thing for them I'm sure.

Just some thoughts.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 10:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm ... I tend to donate larger amounts far apart, rather than small amounts frequently. Because I want more of the money to go to CMJ than Paypal. Is this a significant issue, or should I stop fussing?

But, yes, thank you for the awesome in so many ways.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Onigiri
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 01:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I really want to Donate. I reeeaaally do. But I got the boot, shitcanned, tossed out, fired for "Unavailability" because I decided furthering my education was a good idea.

Silly me right?

As soon as I have a job again, and some cash saved up I plan a biggish donation.

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Blake
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 12:51 PM UTC  

I was under the impression that Paypal tended to take a bigger chunk as amounts grow larger; the fee is a lot more out of $300 than $30, I thought.

Well anyway, I've just been playing for a couple of days, and I was thrilled to come across my first two crates today. Boy selling that second Monster Repellent was a godsend.

(P.S. Should I submit a petition if I don't think my donation was credited?)

Count Sessine
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Blake

Well anyway, I've just been playing for a couple of days, and I was thrilled to come across my first two crates today. Boy selling that second Monster Repellent was a godsend.

(P.S. Should I submit a petition if I don't think my donation was credited?)

First: welcome to the Island, Blake! You're right, we should remember that high eBoy prices do have their good side, especially for new players.

If you didn't get your Supporter Points pretty much right away after donating, yes, do submit a petition. There may be a delay in crediting the points, because it requires manual intervention from our extremely busy Admin. The automatic process only works if you're logged in -- and sometimes, if you've been doing other things for a few minutes, you may not realize you've been logged out for inactivity.

So, it's a good idea to always double-check by doing something in the game before donating.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 06:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First off let me say that this is my first outing in a RP game of any sort, so if I'm wildly off beam here apologies. That said I've been involved in systems and the interwebs for some time and can really appreciate the time and effort that goes into something like this fantastic game.

Crates, sure they've been rare lately. EBoys? Don't ask.

I stumbled onto the island from an (unrelated) list I subscribe to, played for a few days and donated, more for a 'well done' thing, with no real plan to sticking around. The writings, game play, RP and the people got me hooked and sucked me in and I donate regularly, in truth because I want the Island to stay around more than the goodies my DP can get me (although that's nice too!).

I've been around long enough to appreciate the excruciating task it must be to balance the game play - my hats off to CMJ and anyone else involved with the task, thus far you've done a fantastic job.

The point about getting non RPers to donate and the fact that they have nothing to spend DPs on - are there really players that never RP just go on and on tucking more and more DKs under their belts? Wouldn't that be boring after a while? What would be the point - bragging rights? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here...

Oh dear, I've wandered way off the crates topic Confused

Verbal runny stuff.

It's a curse Neutral

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply