Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Titan hp
 |  Printable Version
Ada
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 01:32 PM UTC (Read 9332 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Have they gone up to starting at 8 million hp on a permanent basis? Hardly worth fighting them at all if doing 1m damage doesn't even get you 15k req.

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah, I was going to hunt for titans and buy me a neat weapon. Then I figured out that I'd pay more than I earn if I kept at it. D:

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 03:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sounds like a cunning plan to require a team effort to bring them down.

Of course, I may just be suspicious.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 04:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's my idea, too. But I don't get why do they give substantially less Requisition tokens now. A half would be okay. But this? I dunno anymore.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Omega

That's my idea, too. But I don't get why do they give substantially less Requisition tokens now. A half would be okay. But this? I dunno anymore.

There's always been a set reward amount (about 100k) for killing any Titan, no matter how big it is. This reward is divided up amongst all those who contributed to bringing it down, according to what fraction of the total damage they did. As the Titans get bigger, the reward for doing a million points of damage is, obviously, going to go down.

From the point of view of game balance -- Titans have been a fountain of automatic easy money. You had to expect it was going to dry up a bit, sooner or later.

In-game? Well, it looks like we've only been knocking off the baby Titans. Now... the parents are coming ashore to see what's been happening to their offspring.

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 04:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

From the point of view of game balance -- Titans have been a fountain of automatic easy money. You had to expect it was going to dry up a bit, sooner or later.

There, you see. Now the only use they have is increasing your combat skills. And that's it, fighting normally is (Now)more efficient in terms of gathering money. Or leveling up, should one wants it.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

There, you see. Now the only use they have is increasing your combat skills. And that's it, fighting normally is (Now)more efficient in terms of gathering money. Or leveling up, should one wants it.

Last I checked, Titans give no experience points. They are of no use in 'leveling up'.

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
KimmyMonstah
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 07:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay...
Let me just say that, I find constantly raising their hp is a bit ridiculous.
First , 1mil. Then 3 mil.
A bunch of 5 mil ones were great for annoyances.

Maybe make it more challenging instead of just more annoying?
If these are supposed to be the Titan Parents, have them bigger, but LESS OF THEM.
And less other Titans around, that way it's more like a boss battle instead of pulling one of those "this is the same thing you've been fighting, but it's color is different, so it's tougher now".

Sure, the Boss Titans could have more hp, but maybe have them cover two squares at once or something? Make them hit just a bit harder, and have them dump double the cash or something. Make it worth it for the players. This can still invoke teamwork, but at least it'll be more interesting! More people would actually feel up for it, that way.

Otherwise, all I see is just "oh, look, 10 mil titans. oh, look, 15 mil. oh, look, 20859898million hp for titans."
That seems so incredibly boring! And not worth a player's time.
Especially if you've got, what, thirty 3987397937million titans all over the map? The outposts will just have to learn how to live as pancakes.

[/chomping at the bit]

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

Last I checked, Titans give no experience points. They are of no use in 'leveling up'.

Fighting - Standard skill experience shoots up just by spamming the "1" key until you're at 40% stamina or so.

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 10:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

It seems the change has definitely decreased the amount of caring about fighting them. It had been awhile since I had seen one get to an outpost, then today... AceHigh had THREE titans on top of it, and there are still so many others on the map.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM UTC  

Quote by: Snow+Gray

It seems the change has definitely decreased the amount of caring about fighting them. It had been awhile since I had seen one get to an outpost, then today... AceHigh had THREE titans on top of it, and there are still so many others on the map.

Were you around last weekend?
Granted Ace High only had two titans, but you could stand on Pleasentville and see /twelve/.

Is it just me who feels like the island gets overrun every weekend at the moment?

Ashtu
 Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 10:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Wongo the Sane

Is it just me who feels like the island gets overrun every weekend at the moment?

Well - the Failboat has been awfully crowded last coupla weekends - hard to even get a nap......

Thank you.

Profile Email
Ada
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sessine: I wondered about that, when they first came out. "Isn't this too easy? Aren't I getting paid too much for this?" And then I realized "No, wait. If I weren't getting paid this much, I wouldn't do it at all."
Judging by the boasting that's been going on in other threads about titans, I don't think the players who do most of the killing really care at all for the co-operative effort. The players who do most of the killing are probably not the slightest bit interested in fighting titans if they are not getting paid decent money for it. I know I'm not. Even if you know what you're doing about killing titans, it's still a whole pile of button presses, and it's not worth your time to do that if you're not getting anything for it.
I don't care, not one bit, about saving the island. I'm not inclined to go for titans out of a sense of altruism. Remember when Onslaught was turned up really high, how people who did care about saving the island felt? Stressed out and unhappy. Raising titan hp like this is probably going to result in about the same thing.

(Edit to add: oh, and I just logged in to find that I'd gotten a total of 5 req for a titan I'd kicked in the knees a few times once my plasma gun had run out. Weren't we just talking about how discouraging titan fighting must be for newbies? Ada with a dead plasma gun is one hell of a lot tougher than a newbie with the best equipment available. I don't imagine newbies are feeling particularly encouraged about titan fighting, at the moment.)

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

. I don't imagine newbies are feeling particularly encouraged about titan fighting, at the moment.)

Exactly.
I feel like a mercenary. Or even a bounty hunter. But for taking out 3 million on a titan earlier, and only getting 4 req, MAYBE, from that one, it isn't worth it.
Not at all.
And if I, someone who actually enjoys bringing the stupid oafs down on an almost-constant basis [when I'm not trying to do, gasp, OTHER THINGS with my island time], is starting to find that this isn't worth it, other people who never fight them but now feel pressured into doing so are going to hate every single minute of it.
And then, after that? They'll quit. They will become tired of the Outposts always being under attack. They can't really play if they're couped up in their dwellings constantly and unable to visit Outposts because the Outposts are always being breached.
You don't want people quitting here. Especially here.

5 million was enough, I think.

Profile Email
Ada
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heck, even 5-mil titans had me wandering off to find something a bit more worth my time.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heck, even 5-mil titans had me wandering off to find something a bit more worth my time.

That's what I mean by enough. Those were the big bad ones that were annoying and usually left off to the people who knew how to get them down.

Profile Email
Mack
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:29 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I kicked a titan in the knees for a while today. Let me tell you, doing over 500k damage with 5 or 6 plasma gun refills and 4 new days, and getting 2k req from it is not at all encouraging. (And I'm one of the ones who does want to try and stop places from being overrun. Being 4Xth place in reinforcement proves that.) It's just not worth my time to wail on a titan who's not going down for at least...32-35 new days for me. Very not worth it for me. I could DK twice in that time. Not to mention the req and ciggies I could get instead.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Ada
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Given that it's going to cause outposts to become overrun, you could DK a lot more than twice in 35 days....

KM: whether you "know how to get them down" or not, there's very little point in going for a 5m titan. 100k for 5m... or you could fight two other titans and get 200k. If they were permanently increased to 5m hp, I think I would cease caring about titans just as I have for 8m ones; that's twice as many button presses as titans used to take, and it's not like hitting the same button over and over again that many times is fun.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

KM: whether you "know how to get them down" or not, there's very little point in going for a 5m titan. 100k for 5m... or you could fight two other titans and get 200k. If they were permanently increased to 5m hp, I think I would cease caring about titans just as I have for 8m ones; that's twice as many button presses as titans used to take, and it's not like hitting the same button over and over again that many times is fun.

Wink I'm not arguing with you. I'm all in it for just the cash.
But I'd rather live with the half that are 5mil instead of all of them suddenly being 8million.
Hell, if we didn't have the 5million ones, I'd be skipping through fields of flowers and slime right now.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Camille
 Monday, October 25 2010 @ 02:46 AM UTC  

Isn't the idea of titans in general a little unbalanced? As... Ada, I believe, said, newbies (like me) are incredibly discouraged by these things and generally helpless against them. It's not really anything we can help with, and that alone

1) lessens the number of players who can take them down, regardless of whether or not they feel like it

and

2) means that those who do [take them down], up 'til, apparently, now, are going to have more cash. Which means a definite advantage over us newbies

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, necessarily, it could act as a kind of... incentive. But, if the others are anything like me, it's only turning them off to titan killing, and besides from which, the ever-increasing HP rates are making even the higher-ups retreat. Having a party come kill titans with you is a hassle, let's be honest.

Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply