Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Alcoholism
 |  Printable Version
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 06:23 AM UTC (Read 4849 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Like the Nicotine addiction.

Now that we're getting lovely pubs everywhere, Fred's been doing a lot more drinking. And of course, I have no time to use my imagination, so since I want him to start getting drunk, I'm going to instead bother the admin to make it a game mechanic.

Alcoholism will make you dependent on drinks, whatever they might be, and if you get smashed in one day, you should start the next day with a hang-over, which can either get cured by using up the day without drinking, or getting another drink to push it to another day. Razz

Let there be a benefit to being a perpetual drinker or smoker, though. This ain't real life, and it is a game, so chain-smokers should get a stronger buzz than normal players, and booze durations should start lengthening for alcoholics.

Perhaps there could be liver or lung problems that cost a hefty req bill if you chain-smoke or drink for like 14 game-days straight or something. I don't know how interesting that feature would be.

Why do I want this game to be full of sex, smoking, and alcohol?

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I actually think this is a wonderful idea. We get withdraw from smoking, so why not make people in Alcoholics?
It would encourage me to actually go and get Skye drunk when I RP her as such... which is most of the time. Like right now, she is doing it.

Of course, this can lead to people being offended (i.e. "My so-so is an alcoholic and it's baaad"), much like people are offended when people use "being crazy" as an excuse for being a jackass.
When one doesn't think about, though, the people who get offended, it's actually, again, a good idea. It would, however, discourage those who don't want the negative buff from the drinking.

There, while we're at this, could be room (maybe? I'm not pushing it) for a statcounterthingdookickymabobbersomethingwhacamacallit. Which will show how much we have had to drink, and rank us... then we can see who the real drunks of the Island are.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Why do I want this game to be full of sex, smoking, and alcohol?

Ah, the finer things in life...

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

then we can see who the real drunks of the Island are.

GERMans...
Just...trying to save you the trouble of looking it up...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 05:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: tehdave

GERMans...

Whaaat?! I can't hear you over how horribly drunk Skye is.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's already the drunkenness mechanic for drinks from the PSK. Dan won't sell you more if you're too drunk, and if you don't sober up before Newday, you'll get a hangover.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
LadyRavenSkye
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Really? I will have to go fully find out myself then. I'm usually saving up my req for food instead of on drinks so I can build, so I haven't played with the drinking at the PSK that much. Thanks Buddleia.

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

GERMans...

Uhm. Sunshine, anyone?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Friday, October 29 2010 @ 03:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mr+Geppetto

GERMans...

Uhm. Sunshine, anyone?

Quantity (Or bill size) over quality, miss!

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Tanya Rubirose
 Wednesday, November 03 2010 @ 01:40 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, how about an additional effect? With alcohol, if they end up hungover, they have a small chance of having an improbable event of them waking up married, quietly getting divorced, and spending the day getting extra req due to constantly looking out for signs of someone knowing about the marriage?

I was thinking you could even hook what they get married to into the monster list and have it be randomly generated by what would be a normal encounter for their level.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, November 03 2010 @ 01:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

they could wake up married to their mount...

Profile Email
Tanya Rubirose
 Wednesday, November 03 2010 @ 02:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

They could also end up married to their future self. I think that would be a good sign to lay off the alcohol Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, November 03 2010 @ 10:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Tanya+Rubirose

Well, how about an additional effect? With alcohol, if they end up hungover, they have a small chance of having an improbable event of them waking up married, quietly getting divorced, and spending the day getting extra req due to constantly looking out for signs of someone knowing about the marriage?

I was thinking you could even hook what they get married to into the monster list and have it be randomly generated by what would be a normal encounter for their level.

Quote by: dizzyizzy

they could wake up married to their mount...

Quote by: Tanya+Rubirose

They could also end up married to their future self. I think that would be a good sign to lay off the alcohol.

I will not think about the Ashtus. I will not think about the Ashtus. I will not think about......

AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Thank you.

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, November 05 2010 @ 12:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

There's already the drunkenness mechanic for drinks from the PSK. Dan won't sell you more if you're too drunk, and if you don't sober up before Newday, you'll get a hangover.

Slurring, too, unless that's been taken out? If you're drunk, anything you type straight in to the chat box (without : ) will come out garbled and slurred. I used to have a serious problem with this when trying to answer questions in Loc Four...

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Friday, November 05 2010 @ 01:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

(Reposted from "/Off-topic/In-game/Alcoholism?". oops.)
Hey! What the heck is this line doing in my New Day page??

"Waking up in the gutter after your last little 'adventure with alcohol', you lose 1 turn crawling back to your normal lodging."

I don't even drink!.....anything but Guinness....

Thank you.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 06:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am necroing this thread, because I have that kind of power.

I had particularly bad luck with my DanQuest during my last DK and wasn't able to complete it, so I didn't start with the money I needed for a Force Generator. So, I'm leveling quite normally.

I realize now that for my optimal play while my internet ping is messing with Timed Fighting, I am throwing drinks from Vigour Mortis constantly. I'm also chain-smoking for a constant buzz. Obviously, substance abuse is the best thing in the world.

This makes me realize how short the durations of buffs are in general. The Clan Buff was never enough until it got to infinite. I never get weapons with limited rounds of fighting except for those with 100+ rounds, and those are usually overpowered enough that they result in every fight being just one round. But buff durations in general is not a topic for this thread.

I'm raising this thread from the dead to say, I am knocking back waaaaay too many drinks with no consequence other than a smidgen of req loss. The smoking will catch up to me with withdrawal and a lower duration from every subsequent smoke, but drinks do nothing but good.

Since the PSK has drink-limiting and apparently there is a consequence of those drinks, we should have something similar to drinks--

OR WE COULD DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY IN THE OPPOSITE VEIN.

I'm looking at the number of drinks I keep getting to keep the buff up. What if we just made drink buffs a much longer duration? Then we're not constantly chugging a crazy amount of stuff. (The problem is a little more that I have to keep leaving the jungle every 4 fights to restore my buffs.)

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 07:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I'm raising this thread from the dead to say, I am knocking back waaaaay too many drinks with no consequence other than a smidgen of req loss. The smoking will catch up to me with withdrawal and a lower duration from every subsequent smoke, but drinks do nothing but good.

Since the PSK has drink-limiting and apparently there is a consequence of those drinks, we should have something similar to drinks--

OR WE COULD DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY IN THE OPPOSITE VEIN.

I'm looking at the number of drinks I keep getting to keep the buff up. What if we just made drink buffs a much longer duration? Then we're not constantly chugging a crazy amount of stuff. (The problem is a little more that I have to keep leaving the jungle every 4 fights to restore my buffs.)

Like fail cake?

Profile Email
Hiraniva
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 07:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

This whole topic is just a great big "YES".

Profile Email
Harris
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 08:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The "slurring speech" after you've had some alcohol is gone.
I enjoyed that very much, and think that'd be a wonderful penalty for overdrinking that wouldn't take away the benefits of the buff (and make people mad).

Plus, it sounded silly anytime you read it out loud. Big Grin

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 10:25 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Harris

The "slurring speech" after you've had some alcohol is gone.
I enjoyed that very much, and think that'd be a wonderful penalty for overdrinking that wouldn't take away the benefits of the buff (and make people mad).

Plus, it sounded silly anytime you read it out loud. Big Grin

Funny, sure. Once or twice. Would you really want it messing up story-telling? Okay, you could avoid it -- so it only impacted new players who hadn't learned to do an emote -- but it still ruined /specials. A lot of people were relieved when it went away.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with Sessine and the other players who've had a /special go wrong because of the drunk bit in chat. I am glad it is gone, and I like it better without that. Most people went around it and those who actually decided to write their character drunk mostly used emotes anyway so it really didn't make any difference except to new players.

Actions fumbling because you're drunk? Possible, probable, and potentially entertaining when you don't realize you've nailed your hand to the outpost wall instead of the plank. (A sort of once-funny thing, like most puns.) BUT, minor improbable events based on your level of sobriety? Potentially a lot of AWESOME in there.

Although that's also a huge huge undertaking it seems to me. Maybe on the Season Three horizon.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply