Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Something really strange just happened.
 |  Printable Version
D Valentine
 Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zpatula

Hey, something really strange just happened. I walked out of Kittania and my head immediately began to hurt, like there was a dentist's drill behind my eyes. I turned around and standing in front of me was... my first wife. I didn't even know she was on The Island! Eek!

I thought you ate her or something. Well. . .the Island is a big one.

Profile Email
Painted Pony
 Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Count+Sessine

CavemanJoe isn't writing novels because, while he is indeed an amazing writer, he is also that good at making the game world we all play in. He combines these two talents to achieve heretofore undreamed-of levels of AWESOMEness.*
------
* Also incredible riches! Or at least... that's the plan. Eventually.

-Is making 'OH, OH, OH' sounds right now, you just can't hear it.- It's all clearer to me now. I always find it incredible that some people can do two things so incredibly--for instance, coding AND writing. To me, they seem so very different, using entirely different parts of the brain. I could be wrong, as I do not do any coding myself, but in any case, the patience required is beyond my capabilities. I attempted to learn HTML and know very basic things and can usually figure out simple codes/commands but WOAH. The level of skill, memorization, and patience just amazes. Putting an entire site together and maintaining it is mind-blowing. I respect anyone that can do that FULL TIME AND write all of the interesting and wonderful stories/plots/etc. like we have in I.I. It is a true pleasure to be a part of the community and to get to take part in the fun.

Thanks for replying and clearing up some things for me Razz

Profile Email Website
Epaphus
 Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 09:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

Hey, something really strange just happened. I walked out of Kittania and my head immediately began to hurt, like there was a dentist's drill behind my eyes. I turned around and standing in front of me was... my first wife. I didn't even know she was on The Island! Eek!

By the way, Zpat, I gave her a key to your dwelling. She said something about showing up with a moving van to claim a bed or two in return for all the back alimony you owe ...

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Flatter me enough, I'll bite. Wink

I'll probably write a blog post about this one day, but here's the short version: I don't write novels because I can do more with a text adventure game than I can with a novel.

In a novel, I can't suddenly take away something (say, a logo graphic) that the reader has been looking at for dozens (in some cases hundreds; in a few cases thousands) of hours, in order to make the experience of a given plot point more unsettling.

In a novel, I can't have the words tell one side of the story, and the packaging tell a completely contradictory side (you'll understand when you see the next Watcher plot point, coming soon!). In a novel, the people reading it aren't all playing with each other to extend the story beyond the page.

And, importantly, unless you self-publish, then writing a novel earns you really, really shit pay. Seriously, far less than minimum wage. The publishing industry has been completely fucked for decades now, and thankfully all the major publishers will either change dramatically or die off within the next three or four years. And I'll say good riddance to 'em.

(yeah... three years ago I thought "You know what, I give newspapers another ten years, tops, and CD's another eight." And I thought that was kind of radical. It turned out to be a very conservative estimate. If you think the world seems to turn faster because you're getting old, you're wrong - it really is getting faster all the time)

That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a half-baked novel sitting on my hard drive, getting some extra icing every couple of weeks. Wink

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Monday, January 24 2011 @ 12:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We're not saying you have to be a novelist Dan. After all you make far more money off of us than you would off of book royalties, and we're much happier that way. (Or at least I am. I'd rather not have you get only 3% or so of what I payed for a book and the rest go to publishers and such.)

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Painted Pony
 Monday, January 24 2011 @ 02:12 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: CavemanJoe

That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a half-baked novel sitting on my hard drive, getting some extra icing every couple of weeks. Wink

I'm totally willing to edit that bad boy if you ever feel an urge to publish on a whim, regardless of your feelings about the publishing industry (and I have no doubt you're correct), just saying.

Quote by: Rosin

We're not saying you have to be a novelist Dan. After all you make far more money off of us than you would off of book royalties, and we're much happier that way. (Or at least I am. I'd rather not have you get only 3% or so of what I payed for a book and the rest go to publishers and such.)

This is true. Goodness no! You don't have to be a novelist. You don't even have to be a novelist to write novels--Look at the U.S., we publish novels by just about anyone these days. In any case, it is good to know there are sites like this that are labors of love by honestly talented people (and no, I'm not purposefully brown-nosing--it is coincidental). You likely do make more money on this site than you would writing books, but regardless, I believe it is still great that you get your words out there. The fact that I can read your words a few bajillion miles away in another country is pretty awesome, and I'm not complaining that it's free. I'm just saying it surprised me that it was/is free. I'm certainly ecstatic about it.

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Monday, January 24 2011 @ 08:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

Quote by: D+Valentine

Does anyone know what happens if you try to run?

Yup. Get away, unharmed, return to an outpost. Dunno if you get a second chance.

No, as far as I can tell you don't get a second chance.

Quote by: Matthew

That's the boring option.

And I would kindly remind you sir, that a sense of self preservation isn't boring.
I can't wait for you all to turn into mindless zombies so Swede can go "Evil Dead" on you.
Wink

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Monday, January 24 2011 @ 08:41 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Matthew

That's the boring option.

And I would kindly remind you sir, that a sense of self preservation isn't boring.
I can't wait for you all to turn into mindless zombies so Swede can go "Evil Dead" on you.
Wink

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains!

Sorry, I just came back from New Pittsburgh.

Profile Email
Swede
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 08:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains!

Sorry, I just came back from New Pittsburgh.

Swede is off to get his chainsaw attached and loads his boomstick.
Things are happening faster than I anticipated.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

So I've just got back from the doctor's, with a bottle of eye drops for my right eye which developed a nasty infection a couple of days after I wrote that quest. It hurts when the corners of my eyes wrinkle up, so I'm trying not to smile.

You wanna fuckin' talk about life imitating art... Rolling Eyes

Profile Email Website
Kuroiten
 Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 04:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

So I've just got back from the doctor's, with a bottle of eye drops for my right eye which developed a nasty infection a couple of days after I wrote that quest. It hurts when the corners of my eyes wrinkle up, so I'm trying not to smile.

You wanna fuckin' talk about life imitating art... Rolling Eyes

So long as it doesn't start glowing orange. If it does...well, I've heard masks are in. Everyone will be wearing them in the future! Big Grin

Judging by the chaos, I've been here already.

Profile Email Website
A Bad Joker
 Friday, January 28 2011 @ 01:28 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hello. Should I befriend you?

I'm so, so lonely so

Profile Email
Hiraniva
 Friday, January 28 2011 @ 02:23 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: A+Bad+Joker

Hello. Should I befriend you?

You look like you really need a friend desperately, sir.

How odd, my nose is bleeding again... But then again, I have a blood clotting issue. So surely it is just that, right?

Profile Email
William
 Friday, January 28 2011 @ 11:27 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The Gentleman is coming by
Looking in windows,
Knocking on doors...

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Saturday, January 29 2011 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: William

Looking in windows,
Knocking on doors...

The Drive followed me home? Or was it the Stranger who showed up at the dorm?

Profile Email
Chimental
 Saturday, January 29 2011 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Looking in windows,
Knocking on doors...

Nah, it's Blic-news. They want you to see their blog, and they're willing to slap you in the face with their front page.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Saturday, January 29 2011 @ 03:01 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Chimental

Looking in windows,
Knocking on doors...

Nah, it's Blic-news. They want you to see their blog, and they're willing to slap you in the face with their front page.

Oh no! I thought I told them to stop trolling! My yard is already full of fliers and people!

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, January 29 2011 @ 03:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Has anyone linked to this yet? Marble Hornets

Goat Collector

Profile Email
A Bad Joker
 Saturday, January 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Beeps

I wish why you believe this is me, yes?

I'm so, so lonely so

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, January 29 2011 @ 02:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

Beeps, you bastard*. I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks, and I'm only up to Entry #20!

*And I mean bastard in the most loving way, of course.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.74 seconds
New Topic Post Reply