Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Traffic to CC404 and New Pitts.
 |  Printable Version
Daedalus
 Monday, November 15 2010 @ 07:09 AM UTC (Read 1831 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was cogitating on a couple of recent threads* in which the ongoing question of attracting more activity to the outer Outposts was an underlying issue, and had the following thoughts ...

CC404 and New Pitts (and to a lesser extent Ace High and Squat Hole) seem to consistently breach under assault. The causes would appear to be that a) the walls usually have lower HP, and b) that when the monster spawning starts there are fewer contestants hunting in the jungles nearby to thin them** out, leading to quicker growth of large hordes. Compare this to say IC, Kitt and NH, where there are usually large numbers of hunters in the jungle when the spawning starts, and the exponential growth is slowed ... exponentially, or inversely , or whatever the mathematical types would call it..

Both of these can be linked to lower contestant traffic in the posts.

The improvement (eg Pubs) of facilities in these posts will make life better for the contestants that do go there, but may not be enough to attract more of them.

What can be used to attract more contestants to these posts? Why money (Req), of course. Is there a mechanism in place for doing this? Sort of, but it will need some tweaking***: Dan's quests.

Scenario: Contestant goes to Dan ... asks about rumours, etc. Instead of Dan just offering one mission, as in: "There's a (adjective noun of adverb) at (Outpost)," and the contestant can take it or leave it ... perhaps he could say: There's a (blah blah blah) at PV, which will earn you 2500 req, or you might want to look at CC404/New PItts, where there's a (blah blah blah) that will earn you (say) 5000 req. Which do you want to take?" Contestant can select preferred option. Quest item is same difficulty etc.

I can only speculate on the basis of my own game play motivations, but 95% of the time I'd take the outlying post for the higher return. If, and it's a big if, my preference is shared by enough others ... the result is more contestants spending time hunting around the outlying outposts, and using up the non-hunting remainder of day's Stam in wall reinforcements.

So, for what it's worth ... there it is. Not suggesting that this will be a stand alone solution, but along with improvements like pubs, might be of value.

D.

*Why yes, I do need to get a life. Eek!

** the monsters, not the jungles. You knew that, right?

*** A euphamism for "Someone else will have to do some work to make this happen"

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, November 15 2010 @ 07:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For higher level contestants that have already gotten the equipment they want and have enough in the bank to feed themselves every day, req bonuses are good incentives (especially if you're using it to jumpstart your next DK), but I'd think not always good enough to want to take a hike up to CC. Would it be possible to have a [i[chance[/i] of a cig bonus at the more remote outpost? So you could go to Kitt and get 2500 req, or CC and get 3000 req and a kind of dice-roll at an extra cig or two. Going off my own gameplay style, I'd spring for the cigs every time, even if it's only, say, a one in five chance, whereas I might not always for just the req.

But something to think about: what about those races that have their Dojos in the remote outposts? They'd be going there anyways to level up, as long as they're not going by Truancy.

This is a great idea, though, because Danquests, as we all know, take a godawful long time. If you get a quest, your ass is stuck there till you find your monster. Which is good, for this purpose. Wink

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, November 15 2010 @ 11:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One way to stimulate more travel between the outposts is the Council Offices. Right now, rookies can only pick up their freebies in New Home. The 3 grenades they can get are worth ~600 req, or they use them to survive. They have to return to New Home or they loose out on a big bonus. Humans, more than any other race, are tied to their outpost. New Home is busy and chaotic, and it's because there is no incentive to get away from it.

If a rookie could pick up their daily freebies from any outpost, they would be more inclined to travel.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Monday, November 15 2010 @ 03:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like to say, having a Dwelling by CC404 and cutting stone translates into CC404 being one of my usual hangouts. It's funny that from my perspective, if I didn't see the frequency of breaches, I wouldn't think that CC404 is a ghost town.

Also, at this current time, CC404 is at 30+ story chat pages, nearly 1.5 million walls, and the turret lights are blue with the occasional green. Recently, I've stepped up on defending CC404, and other people like Trones, Buddleia (sorry if that's not how it's spelt D: ), and Makiwa have all done work on restoring the town recently I've seen. (Obviously, there's probably several other people, but I can't know who did how much reinforcing or anything.)

Thanks to everyone who's trying to make Cyber City a livable place!

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Monday, November 15 2010 @ 04:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Personally I don't see a problem with the way things are at the moment. I think the balance is right.

When rookies are ready, experienced, and drawn into the game a bit they'll find their way to the remoter outposts and figure out how to get there and how to survive there. We all did right?

Maybe I'm off the mark here but what's the purpose in enticing rookies to the further flung places? Isn't the gradual approach better - getting them to explore bit by bit rather than enticing them to CC404 where they're surely going to find the going tough, perhaps too tough, too early?

When they do venture to out of the way outposts and find them crawling with beasties/overrun they'll gain a lot of experience quickly and a sense of accomplishment no? Heh, that's how it was for me anyway.

I believe the original issue was the high and confusing traffic in NH. Perhaps (as someone suggest elsewhere) a second 'starter' outpost like NH would be better to dilute the traffic a bit.

Sorry if this is all bollocks.

Just my 2 reqs worth.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, November 15 2010 @ 05:12 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Just pointing out... Rookies are far from the only humans in the player base. For equal playability, human council goodies ought to be available from every council outpost. We've discussed this before, and despite general consensus amongst those who read and post on the Enquirer, it hasn't happened. So... chances are it isn't going to -- at least, not until race balancing is revisited, which I'm guessing is far down the list of priorities at the moment. Robots and mutants need attention too, as do zombies, now that devouring their kills fills them up.

But the topic of this thread is how to attract more players to the less frequented outposts.

Quests are a very good idea. Perhaps not re-tweaked Dan quests, though. New and interesting rewards for fighting in the less active outposts would be a) more fun for players, and b) much more fun for our creative and imaginative Admin to code.

One possible wrinkle would be to link the locations for these new quests to the current monster counts in outposts, so that the game would respond dynamically to shifts in player activity. Not many folks fighting in CC404 right now? The threat level has passed a certain threshold? Well, direct anyone who asks for a quest... to the mountain outpost, where they're needed!

Profile Email
Trones
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 05:42 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quests are a very good idea. Perhaps not re-tweaked Dan quests, though. New and interesting rewards for fighting in the less active outposts would be a) more fun for players, and b) much more fun for our creative and imaginative Admin to code.

One possible wrinkle would be to link the locations for these new quests to the current monster counts in outposts, so that the game would respond dynamically to shifts in player activity. Not many folks fighting in CC404 right now? The threat level has passed a certain threshold? Well, direct anyone who asks for a quest... to the mountain outpost, where they're needed!

You beat me to it =)
I was thinking exactly that -- either link the onslaught levels to Danquests, or create an all new feature that directs players to troubled outposts. I haven't the foggiest what that new feature might be as I'm not exactly the most creative individual, some sort of incentive to put players into ailing outposts would be helpful. Maybe something like an Island Defense Network where you can get reports on the status of the Outposts, then sign up for one of them if the threat level is high enough to warrant reinforcements. Any jungle fights from the time you enter your Outpost of choice until the time you leave it would count towards some sort of bonus.

Food for thought, anyway =)

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 06:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the idea of linking threat levels to a rewards system. (If not req or cigs, maybe you could get extra XP, or a combat buff, while you're fighting in the place that needs it?)

As for a defence network, how about adding a function to the Council Offices? They could tell you the threat level and approximate wall HP of, say, the two most threatened towns.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 11:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Perhaps the council can also tell you something about the horde size, such as available when the walls are breached. I've spend a few days fighting and re-enforcing, only to leave without having made any visible difference.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 04:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Swede

Perhaps the council can also tell you something about the horde size, such as available when the walls are breached. I've spend a few days fighting and re-enforcing, only to leave without having made any visible difference.

That doesn't seem that hard to code...really, its just I think onslaught_checkmonsters(), outputed in the council offics...*buries head in code*

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 08:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

From what I've seen in the code this -could- be a bit harder to implement than anticipated, but what about making breaches more common in more active outposts? Currently onslaughts seem to be pretty evenly distributed, but player population isn't. The chances of NewHome, IC or Kittania having a massive breach is relatively low (Especially NewHome), and it seems like in most cases if they do fall, it's for a short period of time.
For a way to determine this, maybe make it check the recent post count for each city when deciding where to send a titan?

But yes, I agree that there needs to be more drive to go out to CC404 and other far-off lands. However, another minor issue with adding new things is that the nature of II is to quietly implement new features and let people find them - There's an interesting new, if short, quest in CC404! At the risk of mentioning unpleasant projects, there's the scrapbot idea... AceHigh is the Joker city, maybe a bunch of games of chance?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 11:48 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Beeps

There's an interesting new, if short, quest in CC404!

No spoilers, please, but -- has anyone playing a Robot encountered that quest?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Tried to be as unspecific as possible without saying, "There's some stuff in them thar hills."
Not I - Actually, when I found out about it I chose Robot as my race as a way to get to CC404 quickly. It wasn't until after I got out there that I realized it did a check for race.

Spoilers(?): The part with the blimp dogfight sounds interesting! (highlight to see)

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 12:12 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Not I - Actually, when I found out about it I chose Robot as my race as a way to get to CC404 quickly. It wasn't until after I got out there that I realized it did a check for race.

I was afraid that might be the case.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply