Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 CC404 Stone Theft.
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Cheshire+Child
 Tuesday, November 23 2010 @ 10:03 PM UTC (Read 1866 times)  

A while ago, I was working on getting some stone over CC404 when someone stole from me about 25 stone. A couple of days later, someone else had about 400 stone taken from then. Since then, there seems to be a rash of theft of stone being stolen. I understand that that is part of the risk but I was thinking of some kind of solution

I'm not sure if this has already been thought of... As the community grows, there is bound to be more and more people who either doesn't know about the work that goes into cutting stone (I was one) or doesn't care and take it. So I thought that maybe the bag place in Ace High could host an Improbable (or whatever) bag that allows you to hold an unlimited amount of weight which you can rent for a day for 1-5 cigs. This will allow crate hunters and stone and wood cutters to not have to drop their items or shuttle back and forth from one place to the next.

Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 23 2010 @ 11:40 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Cheshire+Child

A while ago, I was working on getting some stone over CC404 when someone stole from me about 25 stone. A couple of days later, someone else had about 400 stone taken from then. Since then, there seems to be a rash of theft of stone being stolen. I understand that that is part of the risk but I was thinking of some kind of solution

I'm not sure if this has already been thought of... As the community grows, there is bound to be more and more people who either doesn't know about the work that goes into cutting stone (I was one) or doesn't care and take it. So I thought that maybe the bag place in Ace High could host an Improbable (or whatever) bag that allows you to hold an unlimited amount of weight which you can rent for a day for 1-5 cigs. This will allow crate hunters and stone and wood cutters to not have to drop their items or shuttle back and forth from one place to the next.

The 400-stone incident turned out to be a rookie who didn't know. It wasn't theft, just an honest mistake. The rookie apologized, the stone has been forwarded to its intended location, and everyone's happy now.

Still. You do make a good point. There is precedent for such improbable containers -- the strange, weightless bag you get at the Hunter's Lodge... Or, it could be another item you could rent for a cig a day from Suzie's Hardware -- a container that rests on the ground, and only encumbers you if you try to move with it, but not while you're cutting.

Profile Email
 Tuesday, November 23 2010 @ 11:45 PM UTC  

I am so glad he got all that stone back! I wanted to cry for him.

But, either way, that's what I mean. As I said, until someone told me otherwise, I hadn't realized how much work went into it. And when I worked my own stone, I realized how easy it was to have it taken, mistakenly or not. And so much more likely never to get it back.

That's what made me realize the rentable container to hold all the stone you could want would fix all that. I'm not sure how hard it would be to code, though.

Matthew
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 12:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honestly, I'd like an overweight backpack to just not affect stamina costs for logging or masonry. That way you can only drop things that you actually want to be taken.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 12:19 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Matthew

Honestly, I'd like an overweight backpack to just not affect stamina costs for logging or masonry. That way you can only drop things that you actually want to be taken.

Mnnn... yup. What he said.

The comedy value of requiring us to stuff each oversized log or stone into our backpacks and then try to keep on logging or stonecutting while wearing the backpacks... has worn rather thin.

It was a funny-once, maybe.

Can't we just assume that we now have the sense to put those horribly overstuffed backpacks on the ground beside us while we're gathering materials? And then pick it up when we're ready to move?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 03:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Matthew

Mnnn... yup. What he said.

The comedy value of requiring us to stuff each oversized log or stone into our backpacks and then try to keep on logging or stonecutting while wearing the backpacks... has worn rather thin.

It was a funny-once, maybe.

Can't we just assume that we now have the sense to put those horribly overstuffed backpacks on the ground beside us while we're gathering materials? And then pick it up when we're ready to move?

That would be nice. It would make life easier in a number of ways. Apart from the stated problem, which to be fair, has only very rarely happened to me in a lot of building, there's also potential confusion when two people are mining in CC404 at the same time. (I suspect about 90% of stone used on the Island comes from that one square, and then is transported using 1st class train tickets.)

Most importantly, the sheer pain in the arse factor when mining/lumberjacking, of having to stop every third or fourth unit, go into your backpack, scroll down to where the wood/stone is (and it will be at the bottom since its the last thing that you've put in there) dropping the lot, returning to the map, and starting all over again. That is really not fun. Its not making strategic decisions on how best to use your resources or anything like that, its just tedious. Having to press the same key 100+ times on the trot is bad enough, that makes it a lot worse.

Profile Email
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 03:48 AM UTC  

That would be nice. It would make life easier in a number of ways. Apart from the stated problem, which to be fair, has only very rarely happened to me in a lot of building, there's also potential confusion when two people are mining in CC404 at the same time. (I suspect about 90% of stone used on the Island comes from that one square, and then is transported using 1st class train tickets.)

Most importantly, the sheer pain in the arse factor when mining/lumberjacking, of having to stop every third or fourth unit, go into your backpack, scroll down to where the wood/stone is (and it will be at the bottom since its the last thing that you've put in there) dropping the lot, returning to the map, and starting all over again. That is really not fun. Its not making strategic decisions on how best to use your resources or anything like that, its just tedious. Having to press the same key 100+ times on the trot is bad enough, that makes it a lot worse.[/p]

Good lord, I would love to not have to put the stupid stone down, or get a chunk of stamina taken out everytime I decide NOT to put stone down, or count how much wood I just cut down. Either way, anything to make that particular experience a better would be VERY nice.

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 07:31 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay.

While I'm at it, Secret Rooms are only a buck each now.

And the textarea for putting in your descriptions is bigger.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 07:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Okay.

Ooh, I love the new desc. Boxes. Since I have no idea what isn't a word processor, I just write them in there.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 03:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Since I have no idea what isn't a word processor, I just write them in there.

Try notepad-plus-plus.org. Or the regular text editor that comes with your computer; as long as it doesn't do bold or italics it's probably good.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 04:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Iriana

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Since I have no idea what isn't a word processor, I just write them in there.

Try notepad-plus-plus.org. Or the regular text editor that comes with your computer; as long as it doesn't do bold or italics it's probably good.

The other thing to remember is: even if you're just typing into the text box supplied...

don't try to get fancy with special characters.

That's what did for a lot of the best dwellings in the Cataclysm -- not a word processor messing with what was typed, at all, but a compulsively perfectionist writer carefully putting in the correct accent in a French word, or a visual artist reaching for some of the more arcane graphic characters to create a special effect. The text box will accept such things. But if the data ever has to be restored from backup, it will turn into unusable garbage. With the more robust re-written dwellings system only the one room will be ruined, not the entire dwelling, but you still don't want that to happen.

(Strictly speaking, the fault doesn't lie with word processors or with players, but with a backup/restore process that doesn't maintain data integrity. Or... one could lay the blame on a text input process that accepts special characters that can't be backed up and restored. A system that lets such things happen is not the user's fault. All the same, given that that's what we've got to work with, staying away from anything that can generate special characters, including but not limited to word processors, is a good idea.)

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Wednesday, November 24 2010 @ 04:39 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Okay.

So, then I can put in 5 Secret Rooms when I get my 500DPs back finally from the Cataclysm?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, December 11 2010 @ 07:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I will shamefully admit that it may have been me that picked up the 25 stone, way back when I was but a young rookie and didn't know what it did. I think I put it down a few squares away, when I realized it was REALLY HEAVY.
However, it's completely understandable that this happens, since as a newbie in a game, you're conditioned that "You find a _____ lying on the ground!" sounds like "Bring this to a shop and sell it." There's no explanation that "A pile of 34 stones which you can pick up" is, in fact, a resource someone else spent a lot of time gathering.
In the off chance that it was me, give me a location to drop materials off at and I'll see to it you get some stone.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.47 seconds
New Topic Post Reply