Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 What about flogging train tickets in the hunter's lodge?
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 06:03 PM UTC (Read 1757 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As the title says. There may be times when someone particularly wants a train ticket now. If there's some roleplaying going on on the train. (Although the train is a most underused roleplay space it seems to me. Its got far more potential.)

I'm not sure what price though. Reasonably hefty. 500 DP for an ordinary ticket maybe? That's enough for 10 000 req. So a few one shots? Something like that maybe?

Just an idea.

Profile Email
Kash
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 11:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Alternatively, give a lower price so that people are more inclined to buy them in place of card-gathering. The trains serve a much more practical purpose than role-playing, to be specific getting around the Island really fast, and that is what most people will want to use it for. It takes on average 5 game days to get a new rail pass (or if you're lucky, two or three new passes) by gathering cards, but personally, if I were out of passes and wanted to DK, I might spend a buck to buy a pass and find the drive. Not $5 though. It also makes the likelihood that any given player will buy the pass through the lodge for role-playing purposes about five times more likely, I imagine.

You must consider, though, that once Sessine gets the randomness of card spawns sorted out, selling passes in the Lodge will become the more profitable option, in terms of game efficiency. So perhaps that in itself warrants a higher price, so as to prevent the Lodge from defeating an implicit purpose of the Cards module, which is to encourage exploration of dwellings.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 08:32 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Right now, the problem is way too many rail passes out there! So my initial reaction was, "Nope, no way!"

But... more dollars in CMJ's pocket. Hm.

How about this. Let's wait and see how the dynamics settle out once I've got the new code in place and it has run for a while. You're right, Kash, about the purpose of the Cards module. Still, there might well be room for a Lodge pass.

Game balance is hard!

Profile Email
Mack
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 10:07 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

This is just an idea, but maybe you could get an "Economy class" ticket that's only good for one use on the train? Get on, lose ticket, get off at some point. This would allow people who wish to roleplay on the train to do so, but also make it an unappealing way to get around the island, as you'd be paying for every trip. In my mind, finding a moderate price point would be the only real concern. Cheap enough so people buy them, but not so cheap as to be convenient.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
bl0b
 Saturday, December 04 2010 @ 03:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Might be a bit late, but send me a distraction with the character that wants the tickets. I'm loaded on cards

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, December 04 2010 @ 05:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: bl0b

Might be a bit late, but send me a distraction with the character that wants the tickets. I'm loaded on cards

Cheers for the offer, but I don't actually need them right now. It just occured to me that something like this might happen to somebody occasionally. The roleplaying need was just the first one that came to mind. As has been pointed out, train tickets have other uses. I myself tend to use them more for building, especially for transporting large quantities of stone from the mountains to building sites.

The biggest problem would seem to be pricing. Expensive enough so that they don't replace teleports, but cheap enough so that people might actually want to buy them.

I agree with Sussine that its probably worth waiting for the new system before doing anything, if at all.

It just seemed that it might be worth thinking about, so I thought that I'd throw the idea out there.

What I've since thought might be more likely to something that people might want to pay SP for, would be another place to write on your bio sheet, directly above the natter space, so you could have a small description there of what your space 'looks like'.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.26 seconds
New Topic Post Reply