Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Idea for new implant
 |  Printable Version
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 02:55 AM UTC (Read 2035 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm a massive Half Life fan, and I would be tickled pink if Headcrabs were an Implant.

You'd come across it in the Jungle. It attaches to your head and turns you into a mindless animal thing. It stays connected until you get FailBoated or kill the Drive. There are three different effects; one raises attack and gives a small Stamina boost, another makes travel easier, and another slowly poisons you each New Day it's still attached. They are in addition to a regular implant, temporarily reducing the standard implant's use points to zero. This might not be possible, but I always felt this game needed a few Half Life references.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 07:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think that's a great idea, but I think some of the possible effects should be totally non-sensical. "Everything now smells like Old Spice aftershave." "Your are experiencing a phantom third limb and it itches terribly." "You taste walnuts in the back of your throat." "You can't get the Benny Hill Theme Song (Yakety Sax) out of your mind."

I should add that there should be an easier cure than death. Perhaps monster repellent?

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 07:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Possibly. I'm trying to stay as close to what they do to Gordon in HL2. What an amazing FPS.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 08:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Giuseppe+Lorenzo

Possibly. I'm trying to stay as close to what they do to Gordon in HL2. What an amazing FPS.

I've never played it. I think the last FPS I played was Going Postal 2 or Quake Arena.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 04:26 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

If I wanted to play Half Life, at all, ever, even a little bit, I'd dig up a copy and go play the real thing. Anyone who's suffering pangs of Half Life Nostalgia should do that. There have been so many ports that anybody should be able to find some version they can use in a remainder bin somewhere. As for me, I would vastly prefer the Island to remain the genuine Island, the one and only, unique on the Internet, and not have it haring off trying to imitate a 1990s first person shooter.

This is not Doom or Quake or Half Life. It is Improbable Island.

Profile Email
Symar
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 05:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

So if we do run into some sort of item reference from one of those other games, it should do something improbable.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Saturday, August 22 2009 @ 06:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Symar

So if we do run into some sort of item reference from one of those other games, it should do something improbable.

I still like the idea of head lice. It reminds me of the aphids in A Scanner Darkly. But I agree with the improbability effects.

Profile Email
Fenrir
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 05:22 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

If I wanted to play Half Life, at all, ever, even a little bit, I'd dig up a copy and go play the real thing. Anyone who's suffering pangs of Half Life Nostalgia should do that. There have been so many ports that anybody should be able to find some version they can use in a remainder bin somewhere. As for me, I would vastly prefer the Island to remain the genuine Island, the one and only, unique on the Internet, and not have it haring off trying to imitate a 1990s first person shooter.

I agree.
Most of Improbable Island's charm is preserved through it's originality. I honestly feel like there are already just a bit too many pop culture references throughout. (Mostly as the monsters.)

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think you guys are missing the point, or at least what I see as the point. The pop culture reference is a starting point, but the idea (similar to one I posted here, yet different) is of a parasitical implant. Giuseppe's idea was for head lice, mine was for an Alien STD, but the underlying principal is the same. The improbability potential is endless.

I also feel bound to point out that saying you love I-I except for the pop cultural references is almost like saying you don't like 90% of I-I. It's a pastiche of references from page one. It's the reformulation of them that is so creative and original. Maybe no one is saying the above, but they'd be Pretentious Jerks™ if they did. And then I'd eat them, because Pretentious Jerks™ are 1 crappy bit, 2 decent bits, and 1 tasty bit.

Profile Email
Fenrir
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 11:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well, I /do/ like that concept.
And I guess that perhaps most of the references are lost on me, if that's the case. Razz

Profile Email
Cath
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 01:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Pinche, I would agree with you completely. Of course II is all about references to other games or pop cultural icons... The alternates suggested that would make it original and improbable would be great and would definitely fit. The part that doesn't agree with your argument is GL's second post:

Quote by: Giuseppe+Lorenzo

If he wants to stay that close to it, it's just going to be a rip-off of the original and have nothing improbable about it. I believe that that is where the disagreement is coming from.

It would have to be renamed, and have things like your suggestions added to make it fit with the island and not just a rubber-stamped version.

I suggest "Headcheese" instead of "Headcrabs" as well as a larger variety of possible effects.

I'm not sure that I agree it should be a secondary implant, though. Having two implants, one that you randomly pick up in the jungle and, apparently, can't get rid of other than by killing yourself, seems a bit unbalanced and seems that it could quickly become something that people just loathed. There would definitely have to be some other way of getting rid of it.

I will add that the basic three effects do sound quite a bit like the Joker's natural "action buffs" if you will. Part of Jokers is that they will randomly (daily) be assigned a number. If it's negative, they lose HP each fight, if positive, they gain it. They also get to "roll the dice" three times each game day, giving them a random set of buffs and debuffs. Really great rolls can highly boost your atk and def, bad ones can make it practically impossible to do battle that day. Generally, you get something somewhere in between.

So, if that sounds, to Giuseppe Lorenzo like what he's looking for, perhaps he should just wait until the Jokers are fully activated and play as one of them.

Profile Email
Symar
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 01:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

They're subtle references.

What about, if it was a helmet instead? An actual crab, sitting on your head, maybe gives an attack boost or does it's own extra attacks.
Then you'd have a 'headcrab', but with it's own interpretation.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What about, if it was a helmet instead? An actual crab, sitting on your head, maybe gives an attack boost or does it's own extra attacks.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

And I think dousing oneself with monster repellent should be a cure. While you are infected by the crab your other implant doesn't work, possibly because the crab has penetrated the victim's skull or otherwise compromised the victim's nervous system. Another negative could be loss of charm to offset the extra attacks(claws)/defense bonus (from its hard shell).

Cath, point taken about the second comment. I just didn't want to shoot someone down when they were just brainstorming. Hopefully, Guiseppe isn't married to the idea of exact replication.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 02:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love this idea! Just don't hit them with a crowbar.

Profile Email
Fenrir
 Wednesday, August 26 2009 @ 07:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

And I think dousing oneself with monster repellent should be a cure. While you are infected by the crab your other implant doesn't work, possibly because the crab has penetrated the victim's skull or otherwise compromised the victim's nervous system. Another negative could be loss of charm to offset the extra attacks(claws)/defense bonus (from its hard shell).
p]

^ I like these ideas. I'm thinking about a -X% charm debuff while worn and having all charm recovered once more when it's removed. I also think that a "Separation Anxiety" debuff should be incurred after it leaves, possibly contigent on how long you let it remain attached, similar to cigarettes.

The only thing that bothers me about the headcrab idea, which I failed to phrase properly earlier, is probably just that it's called a "headcrab." It's a deliberate and direct reference to Half-Life and ONLY Half-Life. Most equipment items and implants don't really have any ties like that. They may have references nestled within their descriptions or subtly resemble things, but they're not duplicates. Unless I'm missing things again.

The short version: I'd feel better about it if it had a different name. Maybe "Xenomorphic Face-Humping Symbiote." Eh?

Profile Email
Fergus
 Wednesday, August 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

While I like the idea of an implant that has those buffs, PLEASE do not make it something you are forced into getting. I love my Chem Pack because I know how to make it sing, and having to run into town and buy monster repellents when I constantly get it would be very annoying, especially since something like this will drive up the prices for monster repellents.

If it would be made, make it into an Improbable Event that you can choose what you do.
"You spot a dead contestant on the ground along with some weird creature that seems to have attached itself to the contestant's head. What do you do?
Inspect the corpse
Ignore the corpse."
Also, make it obvious that a can of monster repellent would be the thing that gets rid of it, so newbies know how to get rid of it and/or don't accidentally spray themselves if they'd actually want to keep it.

Profile Email
acheron
 Wednesday, January 12 2011 @ 11:06 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hitch-hiker's Guide gets a ton of references, Mario, 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm sure there are more. Perhaps a contestant was a huge FPS fan and happened to notice something looks a bit like a headcrab and BANG! headcrab leaps at him.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply