Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Exploring the world map
 |  Printable Version
dark
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM UTC (Read 2945 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm not exactly sure if this is in the game or not currently, so this is either a feature request or a "can I do this?" question.

Basically, I really like the freely explorable map, it's one of the things that makes Improbable different from logd, and gives a great sense of space to the game and area to explore.

the problem is though, there really doesn't! seem to be much point exploring the map, other than traveling betwene outposts. There is the supply crate locating, but this doesn't really seem to play as much part in the game as it probably should do.

There don't seem to be any special locations, randomly occurring encounters unique to the map, or many activities which must specifically be performed on the map, in fact the only map specific thing I've found seems to be building lodges and gathering resources for them.

It'd be great if the map played more of a part in the game, say with the ability to freely explore and hunt for specific creatures or resources which only! occurred on the map and not in the conventional jungle,, ---- for instance hunting, fishing, or looking for treasure.

You might for instance borrow some of the Logd ruins or quarry locations, but instead of just sticking them in outposts, have them on specific map squares, or have them move at random.The same might be said for map specific creatures.

You might also considder having quests which were tied to the map, rather than being simply a wait on a random jungle encounter, for instance to go to coordinates such and such and obtain an item or fight a monster.

I really do like the in game map, but it just seems currently I there's litle need to use it.

Of course, if I've missed something which is already in the game, fair enough.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There are dwellings, which you already mentioned. For a lot of people, that's a great part of exploration and unique to the map.

We also have Titans, massive beasts that appear only on the world map. You might've seen them around. That's the only thing you've missed.

For the rest, you're right.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
dark
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well i've seen titans around though never encountered one as yet.

In that case then I'd love to see more done with the map, sinse it's such an interesting in game feature and so different from the usual logd.

Btw, Logd was the first brouser based game I ever played back in 2002. I did in the green dragon a few times, but at which point thins started feeling a trifle repetitive so I left.

From then on I'd go back every so often, ---- usually about 18 months or so, just to see what had changed and do in the green dragon a few times, I think I last did this in somewhere around 2008.

Inadvertently, it was logd that actually got me the position I've got now as administrator of audiogames.net, a site dedicated to gaming for persons of reduced visibility.

I played an early beta, but mucking about online theother day saw that a lot had changed so came back to see some more.

As an exploration fan, I love the map, but I rather wish there was somewhat more to explore on it, especially with all the random environments and such.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You're underestimating dwellings. If you'd like some exploration, dive into that. For a suggestion on what's good, see this thread.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
dark
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well it is true I have seen some most impressively done dwellings, my problem is that they really don't essentially seem to do much for advancing the game, sinse all they let you do is chat, and logue out to gain staminer.

However many rooms they have, and however well constructed, exploring them doesn't essentially gain me anything or help me advance in the game.

If people could sell items from dwellings, have random games to play or encounters or similar, then possibly I'd find them more of a draw, ---- but that of course would probably lend itself to all sorts of balance type issues, which is why I'd probably prefer some sort of game related objective or similar to be added to the map.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

All of those things and more can be done with Dwellings - that's what Improbable Labs is for. It's just that you've gotta code 'em up yourself. Razz

Bigger things are happening in the background with quests and Dwellings. For now, I'd like to ask you specifically about the World Map, since you're in the position to tell me... is it accessible enough? Out of all the game elements, the world map is the one I've had the most trouble making accessible to JAWS / NVDA / screen readers in general.

Profile Email Website
dark
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 06:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well true, after I began harping on about this topic I did see the thread about quests, which is very much my sort of thing, and I'll deffinately be keeping an eye on those updates.

I'll also check improbable labs to see what's in the works if anything.

For accessibility of the world map, things are fine as far as readability goes. I've enabled all the screen reader related stuff in prefs and they seem to work without a problem.

The only thing I can't speak about is the map obtainable from comms tent sinse I haven't bought one yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

There really is only one access related issue which makes the map, --- well at the least inconvenient.

Using Hal, ---- and indeed some other screen readers, the squares in the 5 x 5 view are read sequencially one after another, eg 5-5 ocean, 5-6 ocean, 5-7 river, 5-8 river, 5-9 forest, 6-5 forest etc.

This is fine for getting a general overviewof what's around you, but it's a right royal pain for actually knowing what square your currently on sinse you actually have to count the appropriate number of spaces through.

Would it be possible to add a quick note of your current coordinates to the top of each page on the map? That way it'd be fairly easy to determine where you were, and the 5x5 view would be more logical to read.
This would be even more useful if, as I hope, the map plays more of a part in the game in future.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 10:39 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

One dwelling-related feature is the Trains system. For each outpost, there is a dwelling that functions as a train station. For some outposts the station is located on the same square. For others it is one square distant -- for Squat Hole, since one cannot build on swamp, it is two squares to the west.

To board the train, you will need a rail pass. You cannot, however, buy a rail pass. The Improbable Island Railway Company gives out free passes in exchange for collections of playing cards. (Don't ask what they want with so many playing cards; they might figure out they don't actually need them -- and stop!)

To get started on collecting cards, go to the Grand Concourse East station, one square east of Improbable Central. Have at least 10 cigarettes with you, and look for the peddler. After you've concluded a deal, you will find an occasional card for your collection in the jungle or while travelling. There are also certain dwellings where you can find cards.

Profile Email
dark
 Tuesday, January 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Thanks for the tip, I've now got the case. It's more of this sort of thing that I'd like to see, ---- though I admit I'd have probably not found this one sinse I only tend to look at dwellings when I'm thinking o logging out (though this may change if more is added of course).

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.38 seconds
New Topic Post Reply