Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 When you talk to people about the Island...
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 06:59 PM UTC (Read 12016 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

...what do you say to them? I mean, real-life people. Like, when people at parties ask me what I do, and I tell them I run an online game, and they ask what it's about, and I have to tell them in a way that doesn't take half an hour. It's tricky. What do you tell people who ask about the Island?

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 07:54 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'll tell you what not to do. If you have grown children, do not start to read them the login page.

I mean, sure, it's fun watching them squirm... but for some strange reason they do not want to hear any more about the place!

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 08:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I'll tell you what not to do. If you have grown children, do not start to read them the login page.

I mean, sure, it's fun watching them squirm... but for some strange reason they do not want to hear any more about the place!

Clearly you haven't raised 'em with the right sense of humor Mr. Green

I kid, I kid...I'm sure having a parent read that might be a bit unsettling...

As far as how to explain it to people...uh... depends. If they're the kind of person who's played games remotely similar (online text-based, etc) I describe the game a bit and also talk about the RP community. To non-gamers, I mostly talk about the RP community, and oh, it's a place where the group of people I choose to associate with use a Bingo Hall That Stretches The Boundaries of Reality™ and such like that...

Usually it's the strange stuff that hooks people in. (Then again, I have odd friends)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 08:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

...what do you say to them?

Well, first I ask if they know what the Internet is.*
If I get a yes, I ask if they've heard of World of Warcraft.
If they still say yes, I say it's kinda like that, but with no pictures, just text.

If their eyes glaze over at any point in this conversation, I carefully change the subject. If their eyes and grins just get bigger, I give them the URL.

*You think I'm kidding? Chimental, help me out here.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 08:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You leave me out of this conversation, Leslie.

Now excuse me as I jump into this conversation.

And I have this terrible terrible image of Sessine telling about the purple sex toy to the Mini-Sessines.

Speaking of mini, I was given a lovely mini clay model of Chimental from Ferryn, and I now have it on my bedside. This of course leads to questions (specially since the model shows a tentacle reaching out). So far, I tell them I play an online game called Improbable Island. When they asked what I am, I say 'no one knows. That's the idea.' That's as deep as I had to go.

My roommate wanted to get on there when I told him about it.

I convinced him not to sign up.

You would've thanked me.

We almost had a Transformer on the Island.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Bob.
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 09:23 PM UTC  

I just don't talk about it IRL.
Or to most of my online friends. [Who aren't on the island.]
RPing here is like a little guilty habit of mine, to be honest. It's the only place I will ever roleplay [unless my other friends and I are being silly and making fun of it].

My mum knows now, obviously. She met Ferryn IRL just a week [or two?] ago when she came down to my state.
I think she's the only person who might know I roleplay on only one site online. And I don't think she even knows that.

Talking about the island, or roleplaying, to someone is like telling them you have an imaginary friend, or still have a stuffed animal from when you were a baby. They might understand, but they'd be quick to think you're very childish and immature. At least the way I see it.
I don't mean this in an offensive way, but from where I come from, this sort of thing being known would be incredibly embarrassing. So I simply keep it from being known.

If somebody asks what "the island" is [which is what I refer to it as], I simply state it's "just some online game I sort of like". That gets them off my back about it, and I don't have to embarrass myself with how much I actually do like it, or having to state what it is and all that nonsense.
This is sort of the same rule for my characters, if that helps take the offensiveness away. Everyone I know in real life, except maybe one or two people, has no idea that I create and draw characters. Most of them think the only thing I ever draw are dragons. Which makes sense.

As for my online friends who don't know what it is, the ones who are on other sites? We usually make fun of roleplaying.
Chimental and Ferryn know this already, I'm pretty sure. They've seen us in action on iScribble.
Although, to be clear, we're usually making fun of the boards that are against the rules on that site. They get mad, we bring in a mod.

Again, this isn't supposed to mean "ohhh my god, i'm embarrassed of the people i hang out with, here". There are quite a few people on the island who are really great. I love 'em. It's more of an upbringing sort of thing? Maybe, gasp, a type of Peer Pressure, I suppose.
But I'm okay with it being like this, honestly. There are some close calls occasionally, someone might get a little too curious. And if that happens? I might actually sit down and tell them. Depends on them.

Ashtu
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 09:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

You leave me out of this conversation, Leslie.

It's Wesley, dammit!

Thank you.

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 09:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I was actually asked if I was interested by a friend. He definitely made it sound fun.

I tell people that it's a text-based game first (which ended up with my sister calling me a nerd. I thanked her). If they seem interested, I ask if they want the link. If they get the "glazed-over" look in their eyes...well, then I leave them alone.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 10:28 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Well for me, there is a group of friends I have that all play - me, Piper, 'n Ari are all really good friends so usually when I want to yabber at them about the island, I will. I also have a gmail account for the island which lets my yabber at other players. Oh and I yabber (i like this word) to my siblings too.

Recently, because I spend an obscene amount of time on the island, my parents asked what I did on the computer all day and I told them "I play a roleplaying game online."

Of course, they asked me what RP was and I had to explain it was kind of like writing a story with a bunch of other people. I am now the nerd of the family.

I am kind of the same way as Bob in that it is a guilty pleasure, so I don't talk about it alot outside of whoever is involved.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Kelwine
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 10:29 PM UTC  

I simply tell them it's a text based game that I happen to like a lot. If they ask what it's about I'll tell them. If they ask what the goal is, I'll tell them that my personal goal is the role play. Luckily, no one has tried to poke fun at me for it yet.

Epaphus
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 11:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks to this most informative post, I now know the definitions of the following words that I had to go look up: friends, real life, Transformers.*

___

* And yes, Chimental, we thank you. Here--have a cookie.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 11:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A lot of my friends are the sensible sort that would be aghast at the idea of me spending untold hours neglecting my studying for a text-based roleplay game full of unorthodox monsters and generally inappropriate encounters. The friends who would be thrilled with the entendres and funny monsters generally think they're too cool to even be associated with a site where there's roleplaying, so they tend to give up in disgust before hitting level 5.

A very few people I know through the internet are roleplay-types, so to these people I'd say something like "Well, there's this great game, and the neat thing about it is that there's a browser game AND a roleplay community, and you just have to see these monsters, and I promise once you read to the bottom of the first page you'll be hooked..." Then if I can remember a monster that relates to something they like, I'll mention it, which will usually spark interest.

Incidentally, the II homepage is awesome. Most intriguing game intro I've ever read, hands down!

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I usually go with "group writing project."

When I was telling my mum about different characters on Improbable Island, she said to me, "On a game where you can be anything, you choose to play a boring accountant? Yeah, that sounds like you..."

I should be flattered, right?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 12:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I hate to say it, but I'm with Cherri and Bob in that I keep the Island a bit private from those friends of mine who don't also play. I tried getting an old friend of mine (whom I know is into roleplaying) into the game, and I sort of explained it by saying that "it's a weird hybrid of a browser game and a roleplaying forum". I got her to sign up, but... Confused Guess she lost interest.

Profile Email
TylerDurham
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 02:30 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Most of my close friends and family know about the Island, one or two of them play with me, and the lot of us are rather nerdy people overall. Generally I just start with "It's an online, text-based role-playing game," and as some of you have said, if their eyes glaze over then I drop the subject.

If they say "Huh, that sounds interesting," I say "Yes! It is! Here, come check this out," and I read them (or have them read) the front intro page. So far nobody who has gotten that far has not been at the very least thoroughly amused, and in a couple cases interested in joining the game.

It isn't something that I bring up randomly, but with my friends it tends to be "there's this awesome game I like to play," and either they're interested or they're not. Most of them are probably tired of hearing me tell them what happened to my characters since the last time we talked. xD

I used to spend a lot of time on forums and chatrooms in the RP community, so I'm generally pretty shameless about my hobby. =] At least this has awesome people and what, for me, amounts to a mini-game for when I'm feeling less sociable.

Profile Email
Marly
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 04:36 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

"It's like Gilligan was on Lost, but it was written by Doctor Seuss fanfiction authors. Kinda. Sorta. ...not really."

I usually don't try to explain it beyond "group writing thing" anymore.

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 04:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Marly

"It's like Gilligan was on Lost, but it was written by Doctor Seuss fanfiction authors. Kinda. Sorta. ...not really."

May I use this when explaining to some people? It is quite awesome and definitely something that fits Improbable Island to an H.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 05:10 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ebenezer

I usually go with "group writing project."

When I was telling my mum about different characters on Improbable Island, she said to me, "On a game where you can be anything, you choose to play a boring accountant? Yeah, that sounds like you..."

I should be flattered, right?

Well, honey, to be honest...

**There is the sound of scuffling in the background and the possible threatening sound of sharpening pencils. Cherri suddenly smiles a little too brightly**

Of couuuurse its a compliment.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 06:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"So there's this browser game I play. It's another one of those text-based ones."
"Goddamnit, another text game? Really, man?"
"No! It's good this time! It's really funny and doesn't take itself seriously. Look, this is one of the jungle encounters when you're spamming fights!"
*shows them my saved files of Orc, Gothic Romance Heroine, Pretentious Jerks*

Then, depending on which friend type:

Type A: "God you're lame. Why don't you play a real game? OH RIGHT BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY 'CAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB MR. COLLEGE"
Type B: "XDDD Alright man, have fun."
Type C: "Oh, that seems really good. I might give it a shot."

Both my Type C friends stopped playing quickly, but to be fair, they still think it's a good game that I should enjoy, they just are too busy to play this game as well.

Profile Email
Miss Hellebore
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well, my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer, Unknown Armies, Vampire, Werewolf, Unhallowed Metropolis, Mage, Scion, Nobilis, Call of Cthulhu, Dark Sun and on and on.

So, when I say it's an absurdist, (vaguely) post-apocalyptic game where you can be cat people or zombies or midgets and your goal is to kill a Drive, knowing that every time you do, it just comes back... they don't even bat an eye.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply