Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Mementos topic
 |  Printable Version
Maniak
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm sorry for raining on the buffs-parade, people. It's just a game-mechanic, one that's open for possible abuse.

Recycling of mementos: Mementos are objects that serve as a mental bridge to a memory. Usually they are souvenirs, pictures. Things of low value. If you don't want it anymore, you throw it out. Or burn. Or drown in the ocean. I'm looking at you, Mr Runcible. Uh, so no recycling please. Don't you have enough cobblestones as it is?

As for pricing for individual/mass production Mementos. I like the forge idea we have now. Maybe you could buy a forge/kiln for 50 custom/unique mementos? The kiln itself would be slightly more expensive than a mold, or could be based on a 100 character description, 225 character use text. Cobblestone prices would vary, depending on character length.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Uh, so no recycling please. Don't you have enough cobblestones as it is?

I think the idea is mostly to be able to get rid of the... well, frankly stupid mementos. Like ascii breasts. I have to agree with the 'come on, really?' sentiment.

Quote by: CavemanJoe

A Dwellings option to check for the presence of a given Memento and replace flavour text if true.

Ooh. Dynamic dwelling descriptions? Very yes.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:41 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Beeps

The addition of the hide/show option seems to be making my current collection of Mementos even longer. I now have two single Memento1s (One which had been shown in my bio for a moment and one that hadn't) and two grouped Memento2s in my backpack.

Hmm. This is working almost as it should. The Inventory system will automatically group items whose prefs are identical, so that's working as intended - but I think there's a discrepancy in how item prefs are being saved (ah, PHP - TRUE can end up as a bool, int, or string, depending on how you hold your mouth at the time).

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The addition of the hide/show option seems to be making my current collection of Mementos even longer. I now have two single Memento1s (One which had been shown in my bio for a moment and one that hadn't) and two grouped Memento2s in my backpack.

Hmm. This is working almost as it should. The Inventory system will automatically group items whose prefs are identical, so that's working as intended - but I think there's a discrepancy in how item prefs are being saved (ah, PHP - TRUE can end up as a bool, int, or string, depending on how you hold your mouth at the time).

I don't think there are supposed to be Mementos in my backpack at all, either. I may be mistaken.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:43 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

Uh, so no recycling please. Don't you have enough cobblestones as it is?

I think the idea is mostly to be able to get rid of the... well, frankly stupid mementos. Like ascii breasts. I have to agree with the 'come on, really?' sentiment.

A Dwellings option to check for the presence of a given Memento and replace flavour text if true.

Ooh. Dynamic dwelling descriptions? Very yes.

If you come across spam Mementos cluttering up the world map, just toss 'em. Spam is in the eye of the beholder, and if they're on the World Map lying around and not belonging to anyone, they're fair game.

And yeah, the flavour text thing - well, basically you'd be able to append an extra bit of text to the room description, that only shows up when the player has xx Memento.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I don't think there are supposed to be Mementos in my backpack at all, either. I may be mistaken.

No, no there are not. :-/ They're all supposed to go in your ShoeBox. This might be a bug left over from when I first launched Mementos, in which case... do you even have a ShoeBox?

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, no there are not. :-/ They're all supposed to go in your ShoeBox. This might be a bug left over from when I first launched Mementos, in which case... do you even have a ShoeBox?

BEHOLD, THE RECURSIVE QUOTATION PYRAMID

I have a shoebox. I either accidentally or purposefully transferred a couple mementos to my backpack, but there's no option to transfer them back, so they're just stuck. I could toss them, but I'm trying to keep count.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And yeah, the flavour text thing - well, basically you'd be able to append an extra bit of text to the room description, that only shows up when the player has xx Memento.

Would this work like when you're finding a card, or could there be more creative ways to change room descriptions? Say you hold 3D-glasses or a stack of LSD, could that change the entire room description?

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 09:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"The note you were given earlier reminds you that the secret password is 'Butter.'"

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:00 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I have a shoebox. I either accidentally or purposefully transferred a couple mementos to my backpack, but there's no option to transfer them back, so they're just stuck. I could toss them, but I'm trying to keep count.

They should probably be set up like playing cards, which only go in their card case and can never be transferred to any other container.

Come to think of it... while you're in there looking at the inventory code, it would be very nice if you could add an option to container objects to toggle them open and closed. (That is, open: list their contents, or closed: don't list them, show only the container.) Backpack, bandolier, lodge bag, card case, and now shoebox... we're now up to five container objects, and who knows what else may come along?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I realize this is entirely unrelated to mementos, really, but I think the idea of being able to set up multiple dwelling descriptions for weather/time of day/whatever has come up before. Is anything like that in the works? I've an upcoming project that I'd love to be able to set up nighttime descriptions for, like in the common ground.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:08 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

They should probably be set up like playing cards, which only go in their card case and can never be transferred to any other container.

Come to think of it... while you're in there looking at the inventory code, it would be very nice if you could add an option to container objects to toggle them open and closed. (That is, open: list their contents, or closed: don't list them, show only the container.) Backpack, bandolier, lodge bag, card case, and now shoebox... we're now up to five container objects, and who knows what else may come along?

Good idea. I'll probably end up doing this with JavaScript.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:09 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I realize this is entirely unrelated to mementos, really, but I think the idea of being able to set up multiple dwelling descriptions for weather/time of day/whatever has come up before. Is anything like that in the works? I've an upcoming project that I'd love to be able to set up nighttime descriptions for, like in the common ground.

Yes, that's coming - but we've gotta sort out the time and weather system first. Which is nearly finished, now.

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the same subject, could the Jump to: Bandolier, Backpack, lodge bag, card case buttons be moved to the LEFT, together with the Sort By Alphabetical, Quantity buttons?

Go little quote pyramid go!

Profile Email Website
Mogar
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:38 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

On the same subject, could the Jump to: Bandolier, Backpack, lodge bag, card case buttons be moved to the LEFT, together with the Sort By Alphabetical, Quantity buttons?

Go little quote pyramid go!

To add some pocket change to the Shoebox discussion, I don't have a shoebox either. I transferred an item to my backpack, and can't get it out, even if I put it down and pick it back up, and the other item has an out of container section at the very bottom of my inventory and it has its own empty glitchboxitem beneath that that doesn't go away. As information that may not have been stated yet, the empty glitchboxitem disappears when you move an item to the backpack. I haven't experimented yet, but I believe that mementos in the backpack follow the light/dark switching background between items,if that means anything or helps at all.

And, perhaps, show "Quantity: 1 | Weight:1.8 kg" when there's only one of an item in the pack? I don't know how other people feel about it, and it probably took some work to hide it, but I would love seeing blue numbers on everything! Among other reasons, like it lines everything up a bit more nicely.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Mogar

To add some pocket change to the Shoebox discussion, I don't have a shoebox either. I transferred an item to my backpack, and can't get it out, even if I put it down and pick it back up, and the other item has an out of container section at the very bottom of my inventory and it has its own empty glitchboxitem beneath that that doesn't go away. As information that may not have been stated yet, the empty glitchboxitem disappears when you move an item to the backpack. I haven't experimented yet, but I believe that mementos in the backpack follow the light/dark switching background between items,if that means anything or helps at all.

You should hopefully be fixed now?

Profile Email Website
Kallio
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

My shoebox isn't actually marked 'Shoebox'; it's just a blank box. Is that how it's supposed to work, or has something gone wrong?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't have a shoebox, period. Then again, I don't have any mementos, either, so I dunno if that's worth mentioning.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Kallio

My shoebox isn't actually marked 'Shoebox'; it's just a blank box. Is that how it's supposed to work, or has something gone wrong?

Nah, it's supposed to be a shoebox.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 11:00 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I don't have a shoebox, period. Then again, I don't have any mementos, either, so I dunno if that's worth mentioning.

You should get your shoebox the first time you get a Memento.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply