Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Mementos topic
 |  Printable Version
Ashtu
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 11:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

....One that was ascii breasts, nothing else....

You were kidding, right? Please tell me you were kidding.....

Thank you.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 11:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

You were kidding, right? Please tell me you were kidding.....

I'd send it to you if I hadn't burned it on sight.

Backpack stuff appears to be all cleaned up. Mementos that are shown, then hidden again, also go back into the stack correctly. Thanks tons, Joe.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 11:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ASCII breasts are boring.

ASCII tits are much more amusing.

PHP Formatted Code

:tfLLLfjj,       
                                tLjtjtttiijj;, 
                               ;L.       ,:       
                              ,.Lf,. .;jj.       
                            .i;;jffLjLLLf         
                          .;tttittittjtLf:       
                        :tjfftjjjjffjf :j;       
                      :ijjffjt;itttff:  i;       
                    :;jffffjfffjffj;    j:       
                  .jLLLLLfffffjt;:    .t.         
                .jGfjfjjffti,.       ,t           
               ,Lfjjjti,          ,ii.           
            :iffjti,,,,:::. .:::,,               
        ,ijLfi,.        ;i;;.                     
     ,tLLt;.             f.L:                     
    ,;,.               :;i,;L                     
                        ....ji                   
                           .::.                   

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, March 07 2011 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

ASCII breasts are boring.

ASCII tits are much more amusing.

PHP Formatted Code

:tfLLLfjj,       
                                tLjtjtttiijj;, 
                               ;L.       ,:       
                              ,.Lf,. .;jj.       
                            .i;;jffLjLLLf         
                          .;tttittittjtLf:       
                        :tjfftjjjjffjf :j;       
                      :ijjffjt;itttff:  i;       
                    :;jffffjfffjffj;    j:       
                  .jLLLLLfffffjt;:    .t.         
                .jGfjfjjffti,.       ,t           
               ,Lfjjjti,          ,ii.           
            :iffjti,,,,:::. .:::,,               
        ,ijLfi,.        ;i;;.                     
     ,tLLt;.             f.L:                     
    ,;,.               :;i,;L                     
                        ....ji                   
                           .::.                   

...Agreed. I'd have at least laughed if that's what it had been.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, March 08 2011 @ 08:59 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I WRITE DWELLING AND MEMENTO STUFF.

I fiddle with the grotesque innards of Dwellings while sleep-deprived and listening to this. And this.

(edit: better with video)

So basically you'll be able to set up your Mementos so that...

Well, say your Memento is a bucket of soapy frogs. You'll be able to walk through your Dwelling and have your frogs pass comment on each individual room. You'll also be able to walk through the same Dwelling with a completely different Memento and have completely different things happen. You'll ALSO be able to walk through a completely different Dwelling with your original bucket of soapy frogs and have them do different things. You specify the actions and triggers from your Dwelling, but each Memento needn't be tied to just one specific room, and each room needn't be tied to just one specific Memento.

This sounds horribly horribly complicated from a codey standpoint, but it's actually just

PHP Formatted Code
set_item_pref("memento_dwellingtrigger_".$hid."_".$rid,$thingthatyouwanttohappen,$itemid);

I love my Items system. The Dwellings system is horrible and I will rewrite it One Of These Days.

Profile Email Website
Wigs
 Tuesday, March 08 2011 @ 12:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Well, say your Memento is a bucket of soapy frogs. You'll be able to walk through your Dwelling and have your frogs pass comment on each individual room. You'll also be able to walk through the same Dwelling with a completely different Memento and have completely different things happen. You'll ALSO be able to walk through a completely different Dwelling with your original bucket of soapy frogs and have them do different things. You specify the actions and triggers from your Dwelling, but each Memento needn't be tied to just one specific room, and each room needn't be tied to just one specific Memento.

So, this is exactly what I had been hoping to read.
Though will this apply to anyone with a dwelling or will there be prerequisites?

I don't usually post on the forums, but I do read them.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, March 08 2011 @ 02:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I WRITE DWELLING AND MEMENTO STUFF.

I fiddle with the grotesque innards of Dwellings while sleep-deprived and listening to this. And this.

(edit: better with video)

This sounds horribly horribly complicated from a codey standpoint, but it's actually just

PHP Formatted Code
set_item_pref("memento_dwellingtrigger_".$hid."_".$rid,$thingthatyouwanttohappen,$itemid);

I love my Items system. The Dwellings system is horrible and I will rewrite it One Of These Days.

Oh. You're right, that does sound horribly horribly complicated. It also sounds like great fun. Now I've got to go and think of something to do with it. Big Grin

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 01:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

If I can take Titans down by myself in a couple of shots, costs for the trinket won't matter. It'll pay for itself in req or be far too expensive for anyone to bother with.

If you take a Titan down in one shot, you get a grand total of ~1005 req for it.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you pick up a memento, you don't automagically get a shoebox. If you make a Memento, you automagically get a shoebox. Not sure about gifting, at the moment...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 02:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Picked up mementos do seem to end up in the player's backpack still. I just picked up another a bit ago, and it's in my backpack.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 04:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I honestly don't get why Mementos are on a per-character cost.

The characters are necessary to say the idea behind the item that's being crafted, and as such, the English language is what truly determines the "worth" of the item you wish to make. I don't think we'll get to the point where people starved on SP will use 'u' and 'r' and '4' and 'srsly' in their mementos, but it's the whole general direction that I wouldn't want things to point. I also don't think it's that great to say that "This is a green gum wrapper" should cost slightly more than a memento that says "This is a red gum wrapper". It's not like the green one is more interesting and thereby worth more to produce.

Then, there's that whole multiple copies of the same one being cheaper. It encourages mass-production, but reading people's bios, it's not like everyone has indistinguishable cookies handed out by a single person--those items are generally unique.

That's why I'd say to keep it simple. I think a flat cost per memento is really the most sensible sale model in this case.

At least for Supporter Points. Maybe a flat SP cost and a per-character Cobblestone cost.

But flat SP cost for sure.

Profile Email
Kallio
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 02:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I honestly don't get why Mementos are on a per-character cost.

The characters are necessary to say the idea behind the item that's being crafted, and as such, the English language is what truly determines the "worth" of the item you wish to make. I don't think we'll get to the point where people starved on SP will use 'u' and 'r' and '4' and 'srsly' in their mementos, but it's the whole general direction that I wouldn't want things to point. I also don't think it's that great to say that "This is a green gum wrapper" should cost slightly more than a memento that says "This is a red gum wrapper". It's not like the green one is more interesting and thereby worth more to produce.

Then, there's that whole multiple copies of the same one being cheaper. It encourages mass-production, but reading people's bios, it's not like everyone has indistinguishable cookies handed out by a single person--those items are generally unique.

That's why I'd say to keep it simple. I think a flat cost per memento is really the most sensible sale model in this case.

At least for Supporter Points. Maybe a flat SP cost and a per-character Cobblestone cost.

But flat SP cost for sure.

I think there needs to be some way for the cost to correspond to what exactly you want to create. Number of characters may not correspond perfectly to complication, but in a text-based game, it's the best measure we've got. It's worked out okay for decorating Dwellings, and I don't really think the one-supporter-point cost difference between a red gum wrapper and a green gum wrapper is really a super big deal.

One interesting thing is that it makes generic, well-known items much cheaper to produce than items that have never before been seen. For example, if people didn't have words for what 'gum' was or what 'red' was or what a 'wrapper' was, I would have to describe a 'red gum wrapper' as 'A small piece of paper, slightly sticky from the residue of the chewy candy it once contained, colored in such a way as to reflect light at a wavelength between roughly 630 and 740 nanometers.' Or something like that. I could probably cut that down a bit, but not very much without losing clarity. And the fewer specific words people had for things, the longer I would have to make it.

For this reason, it would cost more to create e.g. a completely new type of flower than it would to create a rose. It would be extremely cheap to create a complicated but well-known item like a watch or even a car. What all this means is that while the cost corresponds less exactly to the actual complication of the item, it corresponds more exactly to how special and unique that item is. Not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's.... interesting.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 06:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I don't have a shoebox, period. Then again, I don't have any mementos, either, so I dunno if that's worth mentioning.

You should get your shoebox the first time you get a Memento.

I have picked up and put down a Memento, and now I've been sent one, too. I still don't have a Shoebox, just an unnamed section.

That's where the items from Gifts appear, too, when you open the box. It doesn't default to your Inventory or Lodge bag or card case as appropriate. Maybe it's a sort of sorting area?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Anna Dewhurst
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 07:05 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Beeps

Picked up mementos do seem to end up in the player's backpack still. I just picked up another a bit ago, and it's in my backpack.

This isn't the case for me -- I've never created a memento, and I have a shoebox, and the mementos I do pick up always end up there.

Profile Email
Mack
 Thursday, March 10 2011 @ 04:25 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

One small issue, I was creating mementos with my cobblestone, and my page size decided to suddenly change, costing me 28 more supporter points than I was intending to spend...

Also, just to point it out, there is a small black ] in the top right corner of the memento forge screen. (On top of the skin.)

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bug: you can't gift more than one of the same memento per game day.

Also, an option where you can edit existing molds for a reduced price would be nice. Only after making a mold and then several copies did I notice that I made a small typo on it. Fuck!

Profile Email
tehdave
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 06:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Bug: you can't gift more than one of the same memento per game day.

I'm not sure this is the case. I managed to gift several Glorious Bastard trophies in one gameday. Could be to the same person though...

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I tried to gift one of them to someone and then another to someone else; not only did it not reduce the number of mementos I had, but the count only went down by one when I New Day'd. And I have no idea whom it went to.

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 10:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm liking mementos so far- and kudos to whoever came up with the counterfeit playing cards. Mr. Green
Haven't tried making any yet, but I have had some technical problems as well:

I got a memento as a gift, and upon opening it, received my memento in the same unmarked featureless box at the bottom of my inventory that opened gifts always go into.
When I picked up my second memento off of the map, my shoebox appeared, with my second memento in it.
Lastly, I too have joined the ranks of those who've gotten a memento stuck in their backpack. Is that still bad? If so, help?

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Derp derp
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Would it be possible to allow Mementos made by someone else to trigger text in dwellings?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply