Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Mementos topic
 |  Printable Version
Beeps
 Friday, March 18 2011 @ 03:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

If you want a specific example to play with/test, then I can cut you a key to my dwelling which has a secret room in it.

Thanks for the offer, but if I test, I'll have to do it on my test server - only place I can actually change the code to test.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, March 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On a related note:

PHP Formatted Code

if (httpget("save")){
        $nphrases = array();
        $phrasecount = 1;
        while (isset($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]))
        {
                $nphrase = stripslashes($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]);
                if ($nphrase!=""){
                        $nphrases[]=strtoupper($nphrase);
                }
                $phrasecount++;
        }
        $house['data']['rooms'][$rid]['triggers']=$nphrases;
        improbablehousing_sethousedata($house);
}

Is tested on said server and appears to solve the issue. I'd accidentally used "secretcode" instead of "phrase" and $_REQUEST instead of $_POST in my original fix.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Friday, March 18 2011 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

On a related note:

PHP Formatted Code

if (httpget("save")){
        $nphrases = array();
        $phrasecount = 1;
        while (isset($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]))
        {
                $nphrase = stripslashes($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]);
                if ($nphrase!=""){
                        $nphrases[]=strtoupper($nphrase);
                }
                $phrasecount++;
        }
        $house['data']['rooms'][$rid]['triggers']=$nphrases;
        improbablehousing_sethousedata($house);
}

Is tested on said server and appears to solve the issue. I'd accidentally used "secretcode" instead of "phrase" and $_REQUEST instead of $_POST in my original fix.

Beeps thanks so much for looking into this. And it seem you've found a cure!?

So what are the next steps/procedure to get it implemented?

Sorry labs/coding not my thing.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Friday, March 18 2011 @ 04:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Makiwa

Hope it gets picked up? I gave the solution for the broken images in the Abandoned Castle back in November. The fix for not being able to run while traveling got picked up pretty quick, though. Took a couple days for that, I think? I've posted fixes and adjustments all over the place, and there doesn't seem to be a standard place to post something that will get it noticed.

Since this is a bug with a feature that actually costs something, I imagine it'll get fixed pretty quick.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Friday, March 18 2011 @ 04:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Makiwa

Hope it gets picked up? I gave the solution for the broken images in the Abandoned Castle back in November. The fix for not being able to run while traveling got picked up pretty quick, though. Took a couple days for that, I think? I've posted fixes and adjustments all over the place, and there doesn't seem to be a standard place to post something that will get it noticed.

I cross fingers and dream Big Grin

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Wednesday, March 23 2011 @ 10:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So I hate to be That Guy again, but there's a bit of a problem with mementos that I think would be easily solved. I hope I'm not the only one who sees it.

Copies are still too cheap, and the original molds are too expensive. This means that making just one of a memento is a much less attractive option, and it means that if a memento is made it's going to have like a billion copies of it on the island as well. It makes them less personal, with cookie-cutter, generic mementos with dozens of copies flying around instead of ones that are unique. That feels like it flies in the face of the entire point.

With a system like this, mass produced mementos are the rule, and the ones that are gifted from one single player to another single player are the exception. That's not right! This should be the other way around.

I suggested this earlier in the thread, and I'm gonna bang on it again, sorry. I think there needs to be an option for a single use memento mold, at a far reduced per-character cost for uses and descriptions - half, a quarter? - to make it just as an attractive option as the mass-producible ones.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, March 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I tend to agree, at least since we have these new attributes tied to them. What if I get a memento with an attribute, and think someone else deserves it as well? I can't make a copy of a Memento that was gifted to me, I'd have to make a new one. I'm a nice guy and fairly altruistic (and modest too!), but I don't feel like spending a buck on telling someone their hair looks nice.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Raidur
 Thursday, March 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but gifting things is not possible if you run out of supporter points. Ran out of points making mementos and then couldn't gift them because I have 0 supporter points left, even though their free to gift.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, March 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

So I hate to be That Guy again, but there's a bit of a problem with mementos that I think would be easily solved. I hope I'm not the only one who sees it.

Copies are still too cheap, and the original molds are too expensive. This means that making just one of a memento is a much less attractive option, and it means that if a memento is made it's going to have like a billion copies of it on the island as well. It makes them less personal, with cookie-cutter, generic mementos with dozens of copies flying around instead of ones that are unique. That feels like it flies in the face of the entire point.

With a system like this, mass produced mementos are the rule, and the ones that are gifted from one single player to another single player are the exception. That's not right! This should be the other way around.

I suggested this earlier in the thread, and I'm gonna bang on it again, sorry. I think there needs to be an option for a single use memento mold, at a far reduced per-character cost for uses and descriptions - half, a quarter? - to make it just as an attractive option as the mass-producible ones.

I gotta agree with Mattie. I still have no plans to make Mementos precisely because of this. With the current pricing structure, the only thing I have even briefly considered actually paying money for is making a generic thank-you note, for giving to people to say "hey, that scene was fun to play" or "hey, that scene was fun to read" or similar. Which would be, at best, rather impersonal. A Natter would do just as well.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, March 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I really, really think that making Mementos on a flat 100 or such supporter point cost would be so much simpler in terms of what is encouraged and what is not. Cobblestones could determine character costs if for some reason you really wanted to compare the 'value' of Memento to Memento. Cobblestones could provide some cheap way to mass-produce or something. But on SP cost, a flat price on creating a Memento is most reasonable in my head.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 26 2011 @ 04:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Moulds really need some kind of indicator on the gifting screen. At least on the gifting screen.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Mothball
 Sunday, March 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

What might be nice would be the ability to edit an already made Memento. Such as if you realized you had typoed, or if you want your Animated Plushie to begin whispering in people's ears as they slept...

Perhaps the Edits would cost the number of characters added (/2, or whatever the mold price is for them) multiplied by the number of copies you have made? Or some such?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 12:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@CMJ: Please could you let us know whether a change in pricing structure is being considered, as requested by so many? I bet that a lot more Mementos would be made if the originals were cheaper, without such an incentive to only make things that you want to make lot of copies of.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, April 08 2011 @ 06:19 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Buddleia

@CMJ: Please could you let us know whether a change in pricing structure is being considered, as requested by so many? I bet that a lot more Mementos would be made if the originals were cheaper, without such an incentive to only make things that you want to make lot of copies of.

Yes, probably soon.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, April 18 2011 @ 03:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Yes, probably soon.

I don't mean to be a pest, truly, but may I ask about the status on this, please?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, April 18 2011 @ 03:47 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

Yes, probably soon.

I don't mean to be a pest, truly, but may I ask about the status on this, please?

Still figuring out the best strategy.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, April 18 2011 @ 05:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Still figuring out the best strategy.

Thank you. I'm glad it hasn't been forgotten.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, May 05 2011 @ 08:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What's stranger is that it apparently only shows up like that in the inventory.

I still have no idea if that blue one is the mould or a copy.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, May 05 2011 @ 05:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What's stranger is that it apparently only shows up like that in the inventory.

I still have no idea if that blue one is the mould or a copy.

Are you certain those aren't two completely different mementos? The text in the ticket is different...

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, May 05 2011 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Are you certain those aren't two completely different mementos? The text in the ticket is different...

My point is that the text for the ticket shape was the same, but the second memento sprouted slashes on the apostrophes, and that I we still have no way to tell whether an item in our inventory is a mould or a copy.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply