Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Mementos topic
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 11:08 PM UTC (Read 21685 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Discuss.

Planned extra features:
Image support
A way to show these in your Bio

Potential features:
Mild buffs
Consumable Mementos

Profile Email Website
Wolfgang
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 11:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

First off: CMJ Very very cool Idea. I even enjoy the name.

Secondly: Out of curiosity and just general wondering, Where did the idea for the momentos come from? (this might help generate appropriate discussion and feedback)

The image support is kinda cool, but i feel somewhat pointless dependent on what exactly is being created. I think in some cases it'd be cool or handy, but in most, the description should do. My own personal opinion though.

Bio: Perhaps have an "Inventory" like function that basically is a place to keep these momento's and their descriptions? or show it like the weapons and armor
Ex. Wolfgang is carrying (Insert momento here)

The mild buff thing could be very interesting, but It would have to cost extra supporter points or something. (By the way, nice addition with the Cobblestones)
Consumables? Hm. not so sure how good this one would be. depends on what consuming it would do i suppose.

Wolf

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 11:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm lazy and just quoting what I said here. Ignore any time I use the word "Widget" instead of "Memento."

Quote by: Beeps

Storage.
Not beds, something like storage spaces. These would take up the same floor spaces as beds. I will call these simply "Storage" from here on out. Options for how to get them:
1. A "I want one with this many spaces, it will cost ___ cigs/req" setup, like custom furniture. Probably not the best idea because of later.
2. Standard furniture method, one with 5 slots costs 10,000req, one with 10 slots costs 20,000req, or whatever.

These would be, by default something basic, like a table, a bookshelf, and a cabinet. Add in the same customization options as beds, so you can turn these into fridges, wall safes, picture frames, tool boxes, memento chests, words words words words you get the idea. Like current furniture, you name it and give it a description. And added field I'd like would be the "interaction" name. "Look at" [Storage]. "Talk To" [Storage]. "You cannot play gin rummy with" [Storage]. Plunk this down in your dwelling, and voilŗ! You've got your Storage space. But obviously, this Storage needs things in it!

Now, this part is probably seems pretty obvious - Mementos go into Storage. Rather than "Folding bed available," the option would be [Interaction name] [Storage's name here]."
Inspecting it would take you to something like eBoy's crossed with a dwelling room - If you're the dwelling owner, you can take or place Mementos into spaces in Storage. You also have the option to lock or unlock the Storage. Locking/unlocking would disallow/allow people to take items from it. Maybe another key option, like rooms.
If you don't own the dwelling, your options are to look at the objects. This takes you to a page that displays the current object's description, as well as giving you the option to look at other things in the display (Think how the journal entries work in the Museum) or to go back to the Storage/Dwelling. If the Storage is unlocked or you have a key, you will have the option to take the item here. This would be handy for making, say, a snack bar in a dwelling that you replenish from time to time, or something.

Oh, and another thing. If these are separate and basically work like mucked-up house rooms... They'd have Widget IDs. That you could hook modules into. Make a cell phone that lets you talk to people in another city, but charges you per-word from your bank account. Sell them. Make a music box that, when used, emotes playing music in the commentary you're in/closest to.

I don't know how the Memento system works - Would the idea of being able to hook modules into Memento IDs be viable? If so, then the consumable idea would be a lot more interesting - I think.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In recent news, the Island was brought to a standstill when the Bordello attempted to gift 400 copies of "Naughty bits" to their patrons.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Darcy
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I actually squealed out loud when I saw this. It's a great idea and one that both boosts roleplay and helps bring money to the Island! Seriously, I love you guys for this. This and the weather in-development have me just so very happy.

Edit: oh and the Stranger event. That too. But this is about Mementos so now I can just plan all of the fun mementos...

Profile Email
Wigs
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Image Support
Well assuming it's going to be optional, then I think it's a good idea. It would make sense for it to cost more points to give it an image though.

Bio Show
Well. This seems nifty, but I would be worried about it being much to cluttered if you've gathered quite a bit of mementos. If there was a limit, for example 5 mementos you could assign to the bio. Just the general idea, than it seems like it would be okay..

Mild Buffs
Seems like a kind of nervous and touchy discussion, at least for me. I suppose all I would need to put feedback on this is, that it would need to be very carefully done.

Consumable
I always wanted to know what a Red Music Box tasted like...!
But realistically I think it would be a quirky and nice feature, especially for foods and treats. It would make sense to mold bunches of consumable treats that could be eaten to read their description for a nice bit to read.

And that's my feedback. How stereotypical of me...
Oops! Did I also mention I LOVE the idea by the way?
I do.

I don't usually post on the forums, but I do read them.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 01:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Now I can finally sell baked goods, like I'd always dreamed of

Except it would be a cookie that lasted forever.

Man, I want a cookie like that.

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 02:52 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

This would be better if you could also drop the mementos in people's Dwellings. This would help my dungeon quests immensely.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OMCMJ this is fantastic! So many ideas filling up my head, which to try first....

Quote by: Wigs

Image Support
Well assuming it's going to be optional, then I think it's a good idea. It would make sense for it to cost more points to give it an image though.

Yes, yes! Optional cost related images please.

Bio Show
Well. This seems nifty, but I would be worried about it being much to cluttered if you've gathered quite a bit of mementos. If there was a limit, for example 5 mementos you could assign to the bio. Just the general idea, than it seems like it would be okay..

And this.

Mild Buffs
Seems like a kind of nervous and touchy discussion, at least for me. I suppose all I would need to put feedback on this is, that it would need to be very carefully done.

This would too complicated? Dunno about this one, my little brain isn't big enough to wrap round this properly - plus it's Ist coffee early in the morning at the moment.

Consumable
I always wanted to know what a Red Music Box tasted like...!
But realistically I think it would be a quirky and nice feature, especially for foods and treats. It would make sense to mold bunches of consumable treats that could be eaten to read their description for a nice bit to read.

This is great too.

runs off to play..

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Kallio
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 06:02 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I haven't made one yet, but it looks like a super nifty feature.

One thing: I've got about 220,000 Cobblestones. People who've been using the world community grid longer than me have even more. If I made the example memento with the 92-character description and 238-character use text, I could afford to make 650+ copies with Cobblestones. It would cost around $273 to make that many with supporter points. Not sure how valuable you want supporter points to be, but that seems like it might be slightly unbalanced.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 06:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kallio

One thing: I've got about 220,000 Cobblestones. People who've been using the world community grid longer than me have even more. If I made the example memento with the 92-character description and 238-character use text, I could afford to make 650+ copies with Cobblestones. It would cost around $273 to make that many with supporter points. Not sure how valuable you want supporter points to be, but that seems like it might be slightly unbalanced.

Keep in mind that for every 50 you made, you'd have to spend another $1.50 to make a mould. Plus, this system is simple and non-intrusive enough to actual gameplay that it's a perfect outlet for cobblestones, whether you have 27 or 270,000.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Anna Dewhurst
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 06:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Matthew

That'd be really awesome.

Oh and the topic. Yeah.

...I'm on board with that, too.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 08:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It appears in the process of testing the system, I've gotten two Mementos into my backpack (Since you can transfer them to the backpack, but not back), and have a fifth section to my inventory which is an empty, nameless bag with an empty, nameless item that I can discard or transfer to my backpack. However, selecting either option does nothing. I also cannot discard Mementos while on the map, but I can drop them.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Kallio
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 09:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Beeps

Quote by: Kallio

Keep in mind that for every 50 you made, you'd have to spend another $1.50 to make a mould. Plus, this system is simple and non-intrusive enough to actual gameplay that it's a perfect outlet for cobblestones, whether you have 27 or 270,000.

Ohh. The mold is only good for 50 copies? Okay. I missed that somehow, sorry.

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 12:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Anna+Dewhurst

Quote by: Matthew

That'd be really awesome.

Never-ending gum. Somebody make that!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 01:16 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I just realized this thing replicates Supply Crates on the map.

I find this most unfun.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 03:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the idea of a display case for your 'mentos, it would add a bit of dynamic to otherwise static dwellings. I'm certain it's a great addition for people that use their dwelling as their house. That, and yay for the req sink.

I'd also like a dispenser thing that hooks into dwellings - Like a medal, you could make a memento that says "I visited Thistlewhite Manor and shat my pants." or, "I still haven't found my way out of the maze in the Tent by the Shore." and even "I tried to pick up a Supply Crate but all I got was a lousy dwelling."

While you're at it, I'd like world peace too. But I'll settle for 2 outta 3.

Good job finding an excellent use for Cobblestones. The cost-ratio of cobblestones/supporter points will either drive more people to WCG, will open up more trading, and/or the Island will make more money.

And it's a proper clan badge, too! I predict this to be a great success.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 03:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

This is a really interesting new development, with lots of possibilities. Iím intrigued, and starting to dream up ways to use mementos. But I think the system would need some tweaks, to really give it the kind of scope Iíd like.

Pricing Structure

This is the biggest change Iíd like to see.

As it stands, the system seems quite expensive, unless you just want to make the occasional new item and many identical copies. It occurs to me that this may promote mass-production rather than creativity. Likewise, proliferation of lots of items perceived as ďvaluableĒ rather than throwaway nothings with only sentimental value - which might rather saturate the environment with treasures, and thus reduce the pleasure in finding them.

I personally find it more fun to RP attaching personal value to a mundane item, most of the time. I donít think my character is the only one who gives away little bits of nonsense (a wing-nut, a crayon, a slightly grubby marshmallow). Occasionally Callia will make something more special, as a one-off. But little bits of rubbish are her stock-in-trade.

I also like to ring the changes. I donít want to give away fifty slightly grubby marshmallows! Well, okay, I might, but only over a long period. During which Iíd also want to be giving away a whole host of other items. Stickers, bottlecaps, chocomilk cartons, hand-rolled cigarettes made from bingo hall administration forms, you-name-it...

But at a minimum of 50 DP per unique item, I canít afford this kind of variety. So hereís a suggestion that would suit me better. Rather than buying a mould to mass produce items with long descriptions, I would be much more interested in:
- paying a one-off cost to buy a memento-making machine (perhaps which was only good for 50 uses)
- paying a low per-character cost to use said machine to churn out non-identical items with names and short-descriptions - ideal for mundane bits of nothing
- having the option to add long descriptions to individual mementos, but at a higher per-char cost (to encourage people to treat them as treasure, rather than bling)

That way, if i wanted to give away 50 mundane items with minimal description, it wouldnít cost me much more than the one-off payment for the machine. But if I wanted to give away items Iíd crafted (therefore deserving more than a single line of description), then Iíd have to pay more to do it.

Other Thoughts

For me, being able to drop/pick up mementos in dwellings would be fantastic. Because it would open up the scope to use dwellings and mementoes together . To make place-oriented mysteries with actual clues, or treasure hunts with actual treasure. HUGE fun factor here (in my view). (Perishable clues would add urgency as well, which could be interesting).

I like the idea of consumables/non-consumables. What about also perishables/non-perishables? (Perhaps with non-perishable items costing more to make than perishables.)

If youíre going to add mild buffs, what about also mild debuffs?

Someone earlier suggested giving capability to add modules to mementos. This idea also interests me. Suppose you had a memento that gave a mild buff or debuff, according to what you did with it? Suppose you could build games of chance into mementos?

Someone also said about showing them in biographies. This would be very nice indeed.

Ok. Thatís all I got, for now.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 04:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Sneaky

I just realized this thing replicates Supply Crates on the map.

I find this most unfun.

There's now a cleanup crew. If you like, you can send any of these to me so we can know when our task is complete (IE we have all 50 copies).

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 11:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"Drop all" causes you to drop all mementos, not just all of the current memento. This appears to drop all in your shoebox or in your backpack. Because of the state of my memento collection mentioned earlier, when I went to the map, I got:

There are 13 here. //these are Memento1s from Shoebox.
There are 2 here. //these are Memento1s from my backpack.
There are 7 here. //These are Memento2s from shoebox.
There is a Memento2 here. //this is a Memento2 from my backpack.

The navigation bar had:

Pick up Memento1
Pick up all
Pick up Memento1
Pick up all
Pick up Memento2
Pick up all
Pick up Memento2

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply