Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 The Infection
 |  Printable Version
Arodang
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 01:51 AM UTC (Read 8575 times)  
Forum Newbie

Island Survival: Zombies vs The Resistance
This is it. It's finally happened. Those zombies, the peaceful brainsuckers everyone know and love, they've snapped. The Outbreak started small. There was an incident, an accident of sorts. One contestant on Improbable Island was infected by horrid disease that rotted the flesh of his/her body around him/her. Before the physical changes occurred, though, the psychological ones did. This resident of the Island was consumed with a bloodlust so strong it led him/her to attack his/her fellow contestants.
From this one person, the disease spread rapidly. As of this moment, it only travels through contact- saliva seems to be a key ingredient in sparking the growth of the sickness. Infected creatures have noticeably ashen skin, an aggressive and unpleasant demeanor, and a distinct lack of hair. They are almost always driven by the insatiable need for fresh blood or raw meat, preferably that of contestants. Use these symptoms to recognize an Infected before being turned into one yourself, and avoid them at all costs. You must also be wary of the Alpha- the first to have become infected. There is no knowledge of who this person is- whoever it is, the creature is among us and spreading the disease.
If you see one of the Infected, you have two choices: Run or kill. Don't feel any remorse about the death of a fellow contestant. It's a case of kill or be eaten, and it's better to kill then end up one of the brainsuckers yourself. But try not to beat them up too badly. Your goal is to discover the cure and heal the infected.
For those willing to join the resistance movement please contact Bart (Beeps), the albino trenchcoat wearing rabbit. He will provide you with a bandana marking you as a member.

Rules (Because nothing is complete without them):
1. No outposts! Keep the RP involving this event in unoccupied map squares or pre-approved dwellings.
2. No attacking random contestants. All participants will be given a “Resistance Bandana” memento and MUST display it in their Bio.
3. Follow the Island rules. Seriously. Don't be a dick. No godmodding or anything like that. Keep it sensible.
4. No reading echoes or insta-knowledge. It's crap, and you know it. Wait for another character to tell yours information. And if you find echoes revealing who the Alpha is, for the love of Horatio don't tell anyone who it is (See:No reading echoes)!

Anyone who is found not following these rules will be removed from the event.

Approved dwellings to use in this event (and a big thank you to those who gave permission):

* Tahv's Camp- Tahv
* Jardin Surleau- Marly
* Frank Thomas Honest Lodge- LHTF
* Kittania Guest House- Omega
* The von Carstein Bunker- Seammus
* The Nomad Camp- Bouddica
* TUNES Base- TUNES
* Val's Tea Treehouse- D Valentine

Who to contact for information:
-Arodang
-Boudicca

Infected:
So you've become an infected! Congratulations! Well, sort of. You're probably noticing a few changes in your person. Do not be alarmed, they are a normal part of the disease that is ravaging your body. Common effects include, but are not limited to: ashen & rotting skin, aggressive behavior, lack of hair, and a need for fresh blood and raw meat. Feel free to indulge yourself on any un-infected contestants wearing a Resistance bandanna around their heads (like the one wrapped around your arm), they've the sweetest blood. Oh, and make sure you're outside of outposts. The guards don't take kindly to your kind.

Resistance:
So you’ve decided to fight for your right to survive? Good job! Make sure you have your bandanna wrapped tight around your head and confer to Bart (Beeps), as he is leading the resistance. Make sure you keep your zombie slaying outside the outposts, though. Try to keep it to unoccupied parts of the Jungle, or the Dwellings registered as Resistance Hotspots.

Remember to add yourself to the proper list on the Wiki of Lies

Profile Email
Chimental
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 02:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Arodang

It's coming...

Geez, I return home from Spring Break and everyone makes a big deal about it.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Zephy
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

It's coming...
Stay tuned for more, later tonight. But be aware. And be afraid.

That's what you get for so many visits to the bordello without taking precautions !!

Razz

Profile Email
Arodang
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 03:51 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Alright. This is getting put off until tomorrow due to technical difficulties, but here's a bit of a teaser:

This is it. It's finally happened. Those zombies, the peaceful brainsuckers everyone know and love, they've snapped. The Outbreak started small. There was an incident, an accident of sorts. One contestant on Improbable Island was infected by horrid disease that rotted the flesh of his/her body around him/her. Before the physical changes occurred, though, the psychological ones did. This resident of the Island was consumed with a bloodlust so strong it led him/her to attack his/her fellow contestants.

This has not happened yet. I will update this thread with new information when the event starts.

Hope that little bit of text interests you. If you'd like to get involved, send me a distraction and let me know.
Also, we're looking for people who are willing to allow us to use their dwellings in the post-infection apocalypse. It's going to last about a week, with as many people playing as we can get. Please distract me and let me know.

Questions, comments, ideas? Let me know.
Dwellings to be used:
Frank Thomas Honest Lodge, thanks to Clan LHTF
Jardin Surleau, thanks to Marly
Tahvohck's Camp, thanks to Tahvohck.

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 04:21 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Zephy

It's coming...
Stay tuned for more, later tonight. But be aware. And be afraid.

That's what you get for so many visits to the bordello without taking precautions !!

Razz

...Win.

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 06:39 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I know you know, Arodang, and I understand you're planning to do all this in dwellings, which is fine. But... please make sure everyone involved knows: don't let any of this be RPd in NewHome or on the Failboat.

Not that many Rookies probably wouldn't enjoy reading a good zombie tale; I'm sure they would, and some would like participating. All the same, the rule is be nice in NewHome.

Profile Email
Arodang
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hey Sessine, I sent you an email if you could check it and get back to me. Thanks a bunch.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Darned, I thought I stopped the last zombie outbreak!

I'll distract you later about dwelling stuff Arodang.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Arodang
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 09:10 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The first seed has been sown. The infection is starting.

Improbable Island Commentary Export from section mapchat-22,16,1 2011-03-13 20:18:17: Mr Doctor: : slowly enters, leading Arodang and ranting about 'the cure'.
2011-03-13 20:18:50: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : follows, listening quietly. How he managed to convey his current situation, one could only guess.
2011-03-13 20:23:49: Mr Doctor: : stops, setting his briefcase on a table that just happens to be right there. He pulls out a vial of something and sticks a needle on the end, turning to Aro. "Hokey. Zis iz goin to 'urt. Eh should fixz yer ray-dation doh."
2011-03-13 20:24:54: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : winces at the sight of the needle, popping the armor off his right arm and laying it on the table. Aro bares the bare arm, bracing for the injection.
2011-03-13 20:27:51: Mr Doctor: : is about to make the injection when he hears something approaching. He looks up, watching for the incoming creature.
2011-03-13 20:29:46: ***: : pauses, then takes a few steps forward. He offers a mostly hesitant wave. Then turns and walks away... Although, what he really does is duck behind a nearby tree. What exactly is going on here?
2011-03-13 20:29:56: Mr Doctor: : blinks. "Oh. Iz jus nufer person. Hokey. Now we fixz ray-dation." He jabs the needle into Aro's arm.
2011-03-13 20:31:09: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : groans, jerking his arm away. The needle sprays into the air, drops landing on the table and Mr Doctor, burning wood and flesh alike.
2011-03-13 20:32:38: Silent Protagonist Arodang: Suddenly, the air seems to distort around Arodang. He glows faintly, a bright green. And then- ``bFWOOSH``b. A shockwave shoots out, throwing Arodang and the doctor across the Jungle floor and penetratrating everything in the vicinity.
2011-03-13 20:34:17: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : is tossed into a tree, head slamming backwards with a resounding crack, and putting him out cold.
2011-03-13 20:34:50: Mr Doctor: : is suddenly gone, the briefcase, table, and any 'medicines' with him.
2011-03-13 20:36:04: ***: : is hit in a in a way that feels much akin to being hit by a bus. Or maybe a spectral airplane. He flies backwards, hitting the dirt and half skids, half bounces a few feet further. For a long moment, he just lies there. Then he groans.
2011-03-13 20:38:14: ***: : pushes himself slowly up into a seated position. He slowly checks himself for any injuries. Aside from wha will probably be some rather impressive bruises, and a large number of relatively small scrapes and gashes, he seems to be fine.
2011-03-13 20:39:01: ***: : pushes himself slowly up into a seated position. He slowly checks himself for any injuries. Aside from what will probably be some rather impressive bruises, and a large number of relatively small scrapes and gashes, he seems to be fine.
2011-03-13 20:41:15: ***: : stands, rubbing gingerly at his left shoulder, which he's fairly sure was the first part of him to hit the ground, and on a rock no less. Then he approaches, looking about nervously. He can see the one man, but where is the doctor?
2011-03-13 20:44:49: ***: : eventually shrugs to himself, and goes over to check on the man. After a brief examination, he seems to be... Mostly alright, aside from the nasty knock to his head. Unconscious, though.
2011-03-13 20:46:08: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : is unconcious, slumped against the tree. He slowly cracks open his eyes, staring at the tall man but seeing nothing.
2011-03-13 20:46:53: ***: : squats. "Hey... You alright?"
2011-03-13 20:47:56: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : groans silently. He still can't seem to talk. Aro just shakes his head.
2011-03-13 20:49:23: ***: : bites his lip, then mutters, "Crap..." He raises his voice and asks, "You need help back to Kittania?"
2011-03-13 20:50:24: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : nods his head the tiniest fraction, shaking hands going up to clutch it as his eyes light up in pain.
2011-03-13 20:52:20: ***: : offers him a hand. "C'mon, let's get you back to civilization." He
looks around, frowning.
"Away from whatever it was that happened here."
2011-03-13 20:56:06: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : shudders and takes the hand, wobbling as he pulls himself to his feet.
2011-03-13 20:57:24: ***: : says, "You ready?" He shifts, wrapping an arm around the man, hopefully to support some of his weight. "Let's get out of here."
2011-03-13 20:58:02: Silent Protagonist Arodang: : nods and takes one unsteady step after another, heading for Kittania.

If you know who the Alpha Zombie is, please don't say anything and please remember that your character doesn't know. The event will start once I get the OK.

Profile Email
Arodang
 Monday, March 14 2011 @ 01:27 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

It's starting. The good Mr. Doctor, who (unwittingly) has started the pandemic, has chosen a leader for the Resistance. The following message was left in a briefcase for the elected person/animal. So far, the disease hasn't spread to any other contestants. This may soon change.

They're coming. It's going to spread. Mustn't let it spread. You are the one. Must lead. Must resist. Move the masses, protect the people. Don't fall to the horde. The horde is coming. Don't fall. Mustn't spread. They're infected. It's the disease. I'll find the cure. The cure to the sickness. Mustn't spread. Lead. Resist. Don't fall.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, March 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's starting. The good Mr. Doctor, who (unwittingly) has started the pandemic, has chosen a leader for the Resistance. The following message was left in a briefcase for the elected person/animal. So far, the disease hasn't spread to any other contestants. This may soon change.

Weknowyou're tired, tiredandscared. Happenstoeveryone, okay? Justdon'tletyourfeetstop. Dancingiseverything. Danceintip-topform. Dancesoitallkeepsspinning. Ifyoudothat, wemightbeabletodosomethingforyou. Yougottadance. Aslongasthemusicplays.

One should never trust messages in briefcases. Especially of those messages are ticking.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, March 14 2011 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

Especially of those messages are ticking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9vL11CRe8

Profile Email
Arodang
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 12:33 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Z sez: OP moved to top of the thread.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 12:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

EDIT: I guess I know what's going on now.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 04:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Journal Entry: March somethingth, 20something-or-other

The head case that left me the briefcase showed back up, at my home of all places. Why does this person know so much about me? Blathered about zombie attacks, something about that Trowa fellow getting bitten - Doesn't make a bit of sense to me. Stuffed a bunch of bandanas into my paws and vanished, Joker-like. Maybe this has something to do with the Stranger? The guy at my door did seem questionable, and he had a number of syringes in the case he was carrying. Why did I let him into my house?

Figured if something was wrong with the Zombies, it would start in New Pittsburgh. Checked t
here, no sign of anything. Last I'd seen Trowa, he was hanging around Kittania, so I headed east. Checked Squat Hole, still n
o leads. After a long day, decided to rest at the clan hall for the night and continue in the morning. When I got there, a questionable pair of men were leaving. Despite my exhaustion, I followed them east to the place Dan takes us for Houses and Humans. Thank god for Chronospheres. Looted a crate on the way, and between that and the chronosphere I was equipped with a healthy collection of Improbability Bombs when I arrived. Didn't help my mood, having to chase people halfway across the island.

What is it about that place that seems to m
ake my blood boil? Every time I go there, I leave with my safety in my paw.

Wandered into the lab, didn't find anyone there. Poked around - They have a strange piece of glowing metal there, seemed to not appreciate being fired upon. Who would, I suppose? Whatever kept me up and going long enough to get my drunken lapine posterior into Petra's while on fire the other night helped out again. Damn metal scrap must've been part of the Drive or something. Improbably Burny Fire is a bitch when you have - Or rather, had - fur. Need a new trenchcoat, too.

Lost my temper, pelted the only place I figured the intruders could be with Improbability Bombs. As always, one ended up chucking me when it detonated. Crushed a Chronosphere. Shit luck, that. Only two left. Personal note: Pay for damages to the base. Or blame it on the other two.

Dragged my ass back out to the main room to wait for anyone left standi
ng to come out. Bloke in a hoodie and ripped jeans came out, and somehow managed to walk right past me despite h
eavy fire. Waited for others to come out. After half an hour, I wearily dragged myself into the room I trashed. No one else was there. So either the other bastard in our Lodge was completely destroyed by the Bombs, or these things can teleport.

Whatever the hell's going on, this is bigger t
han I can take on by myself. The madman with the notes said he was working on a cure, though I still don't have any idea for what. Teleporting crazy trespassers? Maybe that means he's one of these things himself.

Maybe Doc was right. Should've stayed out of this. But would that have been possible? The guy was at my door, for christ's sake. How many people know I live there?

More l
ater. Resting for now.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 04:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For those interested in playing, fair warning: None of the existing zombies have the bandanas signifying them as playing. So... suspect all Zombies, I guess.

For those joining: You may have to wait a while. The Memento system only allows one Memento to be sent per day. I only have three spares, and I have five people who are waiting for bandanas.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 04:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

For those interested in playing, fair warning: None of the existing zombies have the bandanas signifying them as playing. So... suspect all Zombies, I guess.

Bandanna acquired and showing. Also made my username a little more recognizable (following Tamar's lead). Either going to change my icon or not display it, haven't decided yet.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 08:57 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Fixed some cache-related bugs in the Item system - the Gift Station should be working properly now.

Profile Email Website
Arodang
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The fix worked. I sent Boud 6 of the same memento, she got all of 'em. Thanks CMJ!

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 07:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Journal Entry: March somethingth +1, 20something-or-other

Really ought to figure out what day it is.

I'm sore all over, partially
from getting knocked around and partially from the tender areas from the burns yesterday. Really bloody stupid. Hardly slept - every time I started to drift off, I thought I heard noises outside. Kept the drawer closed, just in case. Bonuses of being small, eh?

I don't know what's going on, but I guess others do. I woke up this morning to find half a dozen notes from people I've never heard of, asking me for one of the bandanas I was given. More of the bandanas themselves were stuffed under my door, so I guess the guy anticipated this.

Went back to the lodge today to see if I could find out why these people were there. Ran into Viv, she said she'd help if should could. Gave her one of the bandanas. Fell asleep in the middle of putting it on her. Sort of
embarrassing. She carried me back to her place to get some rest. Must've slept well, I don't even remember the trip there.

Now that I've got some informatio
n on grenades, I figure I need to start opening up and learning where to get the rest of the things I may need. Started asking around, talking to shop owners and landowners. If I can get some regular trade partners, I might be able to make a living off that alone, while keeping myself stocked with what I need. Still don't have a way to open up the Bombs, but I've got some ideas - pit Improbability against Improbability. It's a matter of time 'til I find a way. Still need to find somewhere that'll sell me one of those vehicle things to work into something usable for someone my size. What's her name didn't say much, and claimed she found the parts in the Scrapyard... Maybe they're all gone by now.

On the topic of trade opportunities, met a couple of pe
ople today. Odd little camp out between Central and Kitt. Nigel and Boud - I guess they run a clan by the name "DJIN." Both had some things they needed, so I've got some trade chances there. More importantly, Nigel claimed to have seen the guy who's been bugging me. Boudicca mentioned that she'd heard about some rookies that acted like the guy I ran into the other night. Other than that, no one's seen or heard of anything like this. Both offered to help - gave Boud the only bandana I had on me, Nigel's picking his up tomorrow.

Nothing else worth mentioning today.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply