Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Alts
 |  Printable Version
Rosin
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Temper

I would say, if alts are being used for dickish purposes, couldn't the mods take it up with that alt's main character?

That's sorta what I've been saying. A mod can see who the characters linked with an account are, so I don't think it really helps displaying who has how many alts. More hurtful than doing any good, in my (highly opinionated) opinion.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Kes
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 06:53 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Agelmar

Quote by: Kes

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

...I'd like to be able to use both of them at the same time sometimes.

Seconded. Fervently.

Uh, off topic, but still addressing this seconded notion:
you can be on two accounts in the same browser, as a sure thing, by going through both improbableisland.com and www.improbableisland.com

you can do more alts with multiple browsers (Though I don't like to do that, even on my beefy processor), or by using a private tab. I know for a fact I can use a couple accounts on one domain with one being in an open tab and the other in a private tab.

[IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT].

...was more referring to hajen's suggestion of only being able to log onto only one account each gameday/real day, but I did not know that method for different characters in the same browser. Cheers, Agelmar!

Profile Email
Chef Micha
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 07:21 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

As a RP player with an alt, I quite like the fact that there is no severe ban on alts now. I feel it's more a wink and a nod to RP alts, and the fact that I can't send a crate from Micha to Joanna Toothacher the Alt is fine with me (this may have changed since I last tried).

I don't like the idea of a long waiting period between creating alts and being able to play them, though. I DO like the idea of being able to log in in the same browser with different characters. Currently I use Safari for my main and Firefox for my alt, when we're on at the same time (which is admittedly rare) but I will admit that having a way to RP both characters in the same browser would be wicked cool.

I am also totally cool with not being able to gift stuff from the main to the alt or vice versa (because I know there are some people who are just dicks Frown saaaad ) but if you were a proven account that is free of dickishness that would be nice if we could occasionally move crates or req? But I suppose, thinking about it, the idea to use DP's to enable that is basically the same as the Hunter's Lodge. Herp derp.

In summation, I like alts! I like them for roleplaying! Having a line in the bio is okay with me.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, in full disclosure, that my alt is in a clan. It is also for RP purposes. I also think that is okay, although perhaps the argument about alts booting out legit players is void now because of the buy-in for higher clan member numbers - but the clan that I had Joanna join doesn't seem to be having a recruiting overload. Regardless, I still think that in general, the Island is pretty good about self-policing for jackassery and having RP clan members isn't a big problem. Hope I'm not overly optimistic and wrong on this one! (don't think I am.)

Profile Email Website
Wigs
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 07:35 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'd like to put in some of my own input, since I have more than one story-specific alts.
But I haven't quite figured out yet.

Is this an issue between alts being used for bad-communication or tomfoolery? (Community and not gameplay abuse)
Or it this an issue about alts being used for bad gameplay? (Not community abuse)

Because I'm starting to lean towards it being about a community problem, since a gameplay mechanic wouldn't be solved much from adding a line on a bio.

I'd just like to know, perhaps. So that I can figure out which I'd really need to sit and think about. The thread is bouncing between both so far. Sorry if THIS is useless input.
/sob

I don't usually post on the forums, but I do read them.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't wish to know all the details of the dickery that's prompted CMJ to open this thread--that's a mod/admin thing, and I'm happy to stay out of it. But I do think it's important for us to know the general nature of it. Is it item transferring? Is it ganging up on a character? Is it sneaking behind clan lines that shouldn't be snuck behind? Knowing what the problem is will probably point us towards better suggestions as to how to make it better.

Anyways, I also don't think that showing how many alts a person has will help. It may not hurt, in particular, but... due to some recent conversations I've had about alts, I'm thinking that that may just make people suspicious--especially since the names won't be revealed. I know some clans don't really like their members to have characters in other clans, so this may complicate things.

So far, I know that gifting doesn't work with alts anyways. So unless someone's being very sneaky about this somehow, I don't know how item-transferring would work. (On a semi-related note, I agree with being able to transfer Lodge items; you paid or did something for the SP, when it comes down to it.) As far as clan-sneaking, perhaps there could be a way for clan leaders to see how many alts their members have? I still think that that would just contribute to paranoia and suspicion. Not good!

Yeah, so basically I haven't said anything constructive. I'm still trying to think of a good mechanism to allow alts that are good and fun, and discourage ones that are cheaty or dickish... easier said than done.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 07:39 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Hrm. I nearly jumped in to the last topic that talked about alts, but then I had no time! Still, clearly I gotta make time now.

I have about 20 alts, which I have created over many months - mostly for specific scenes or stories, sometimes for shits'n'giggles, sometimes for other reasons. I have RPd them individually, I have done scenes with several of them at a time (the maximum was 5 at once, and required application of strong drink afterwards, to facilitate recovery). I consider one of them as much my main as Callia is, and keep these two characters very separate in RP. I use another (like Kestrel does) as an anonymous "reader" - who never RPs and never hunts the drive, but allows me to be quietly online.

I do not tell everyone who they all are, but I imagine it is unusual to have so many. If the number of alts is revealed in my characters' biographies, it will probably amount to unmasking them all in my case. I would be sad about this. Callia is a very demanding figure to RP, and there have been times where I've desperately needed to get away from the little horror. If I hadn't had other characters, and been able to keep them anonymous, I'd have quit the island a long time back - simply from burnout, and the sheer relentlessness of always being identified as Callia. I have continued to have fun on-island, by giving myself alternatives in this way. I try not to spoil anyone else's fun, as a rule.

Thinking about the issue more generally, it strikes me that, if there is dickishness happening with any character (alt or not), then it is the dickishness that needs dealing with, and not the alts. After all, we've had anonymous alts for a long time - yet only now (perhaps since the community has grown a lot?) has this issue been raised as problem by admin.

I don't know what sort of behaviour we're talking about on this occasion, but ... we've discussed plenty times on this forum the question of "how should players deal with dicks?" And the generally-accepted line seems to be that real problems are best handled by mods. The mods themselves say this. We all know when someone's doing something we don't like - we don't need to know they're an alt to know we're not enjoying it, or to politely ask them to stop, or to speak to moderator (if they won't stop). As for moderators - they already know which characters are connected, and can intervene as appropriate.

Unmasking alts, unmasking the number of alts, muting alts for their first day/week/DK/allowing one char-per-game-day/saying alts can't be in clans or can't build or can't use stamina ... even ruling out transfer of SP/lodge-items between alts (as is currently in place) - these fixes all potentially impact on people who are not intending any mischief or malice, as well as those who are. I'd not like to see these kind of coded-rules proliferate. It seems a case of spoiling everyone's potential for fun in the vain hope that it'll prevent some people from being dicks. Fact is, dicks who can't express it one way will probably just look for another way.

So I end up wondering ... if we're having problems with some people behaving badly, is this a case of needing more moderation, rather than a mechanical fix or more rules. Perhaps our hard-working moderators are simply stretched too thinly for the size of the community and the number of chatspaces. Perhaps some people simply feel they can get away with anything, and are unlikely to get "caught".

Profile Email
Harris
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 08:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have two.

I love having alts, and the fact that they exist.

Having them has allowed me a freedom to speak to people that playing as Harris does not grant me. Not in the sense of "saying what I REALLY want to say" or any other rubbish, but that people hardly talk to Harris at all no matter where I take him.
I pull out my alts, and one or both of them is greeted EVERY time, and engaged in SOME manner.
Sometimes too, I just feel like playing a different character without having to scrap the last one.

Frankly, I love this game's solo portion for the story and story gameplay challenges (JILL ROCKS!), but I love the Island's multiplayer dynamic for the roleplay. Hell, the Island's multiplayer dynamic IS roleplay.
Roleplaying by yourself is just talking to yourself, which you don't really need a computer for, or a game.

As for the fact that they exist, well,.my love is very easily explained: Hairy Mary and Calliaphone. Need I say more?

I think the best equalizer for dickheads abusing the privilege that wouldn't ruin the fun for the rest of us would be a required two name slot in which we type up to two of our other characters (if we have any), and have that be listed on each account Bio.
Sadly, it does seem like some sacrifices will have to made to stop the dickish, but I think this one would be very useful in doing so, as well as do the least damage to the innocent.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 08:30 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Harris
Roleplaying by yourself is just talking to yourself, which you don't really need a computer for, or a game.

Equally, though, roleplaying by yourself could be described as "writing fiction". Whether you're doing it in one voice, or with several (i.e. multiple alts). I admit it's not necessary to use the island to do this - it can even be a right pain in the posterior - but some of us still can't quite shake the habit.

As for the fact that they exist, well,.my love is very easily explained: Hairy Mary and Calliaphone. Need I say more?

Box of chocolates on its way. Callia ate all the toffee ones but there's still some soft-centres left.

Sadly, it does seem like some sacrifices will have to made to stop the dickish, but I think this one would be very useful in doing so, as well as do the least damage to the innocent.

I still strongly doubt whether such sacrifices will bring the required benefits (although it is very hard to discuss much, without knowing what sort of problems we're talking about).

Profile Email
Wigs
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: calliaphone

I still strongly doubt whether such sacrifices will bring the required benefits (although it is very hard to discuss much, without knowing what sort of problems we're talking about).

This is what I'm holding back all of my biggest thoughts, and the time to build on them for ideas, to find out.
And callia puts this in a very perfect way. I do not wish to know too much about the incident or incidents that caused this to spring. Just what kind we're dealing with.
Although, callia's post just before the one I quoted, comes off to express most of my exact thoughts already.

I don't usually post on the forums, but I do read them.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 11:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Momentary derail, 'cause I couldn't resist:

Roleplaying by yourself is just talking to yourself....

I don't talk to myself, do you, Sis?
Naw, I don't, Bro.
*grin* Back on track now.

Thank you.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I shouldn't even be commenting, but. I'll weigh in a bit. I've got a brain and fingers, even if they never work properly.

EDIT: Also? WARNING TANGENT AHEAD. And lots of Sarcasm. [Seriously, take all of this as sarcasm. Unless it makes a point. Which it probably won't.]
EDITEDIT: Before I even post this mofo. Shrinking down some text. It's uhh...It's a pagestretcher. This is what happens when I show up on topics.
EDITEDITEDIT: I haven't even posted this yet. But. No. Okay so. Seriously, nobody get offended by my sarcasm.
I'm not asking. I'm telling. But that's sarcasm too, so my telling doesn't count. But I bolded some of it because I'm sort of serious. Seriously? Sarcasm. Lots of it. AND PAGESTRETCHING. I'm gonna stop now. Because the more I write here, the more there's gonna be. Down there.
EDITEDITEDITEDIT: Actually I did this EDIT and the one above it at the same time. But here we go! This one issss. My Apologies in advance, Dan. Please don't get too pissed off at me when ya read this. If you do. All in good fun of opinions!
OKAY NOW GO, MY SUPER LONG COMMENT!
"DAWW, OKAY BOSS."
Here's the thing.
You're going to have Dicks all over the place, here. This?
This is the internet.
There are lots of Dicks on teh internetz, literally and metaphorically.
Hell, I think we've established that you find me to be one, even if I happen to lack the necessary genitalia.

I've got...oh, five, six, or seven alts. I can't quite remember.
[Also Calli, goddamn, woman. You. Beat. Me. Out. I hate'choo and love you at the same time. Big Grin] -I'm kidding around. Congrats to you and all your brain's SPAWN.
However, unlike my NEW ADVERSARY/NEW ADMIRE-EE, I frequently hint at my alts with my main.
Hell, I like playing them in the same place, together, even, if it's funny.

That's...all I've got mine for. For some humor, because the island is so lacking of it. Especially lately.

You can ban alts if you like, but it's going to make an awful lot of people sad or pissed off. And then that Kitty is going to go Empty, and we do not want dis.

You can, also, have the mods do their jobs. They're mods. You've given them jobs. If it's too much for just them alone, [and I'm sure it is, on occasion], why don't you try...expanding your searchparty?
Find people who are reasonable and can peek around. You've got your other cops, why not get some watchdogs to help them out?
Limit their abilities of mod-ness, obviously. If things get hairy, those mini-mods could poke a big-mod, and we can limit our amount of metaphorical genitalia.

Just a wee thought on that.

Anyway. Before my ideas keep popping up that nobody'll care to read [honestly, I just sort of skimmed the middle pages of this topic. Sorry guys! No offense! But I'm sure some other people do the same thing Razz], I'll get back on taw-peek.
Either you have alts, or you don't, from what I see. You dunno wut-tew-do, because, oh hey, people are assholes.
Well...yeah. That's gonna happen. You've dealt with it before, I'm...pretty sure you can again, you are the Almighty Caveman, after all.
~Limiting the number of alts [if you can even do that? I, LOL, have no idea.], won't help, as people in Calli's case are proving.
~Having a wee bit in somebody's bio saying "OH HAHA GUESS WHAT, THIS? THIS IS AN ALT. LOL SCREWED YOU OVER, YOU THOUGHT I WAS A NOOB" [I'm joking about that], also won't help. That is going to ruin the effect some alts have on people.

-I remember first bringing Norris out and people thinking he was a rookie. It was...kind of a fun feeling, I'll be honest. You get to sit back and have a right chuckle at the people who didn't know who the hell you were.
~Banning them entirely will make people mad. You can do that, of course, but. JOONO, they'll stop feeding kitties.
~wuhhhh. Not doing anything at all will be, OH HEY IT'S THE PRESENT. [Doc, get in the DeLorean!]
~Okay, monitoring them like somebody who's got nothing else to do with their time....well that won't let you get much progress, will it? :\
This is why I suggested mini-mods earlier. Not just for alt-tracking. I mean for like. Commentary-tracking altogether. I know you ABSOLUTELY HATE IT when I reference other websites I'm on, HOWEVER, hear me out, for once: There is a hierarchy of mod-types on Deviantart. You've got your BIG SCARY admins, your BIG SCARY mods, who rule on high over any and everything. And then? then you've got separate mods with smaller parts. They only check a few things. As in: Gallery Moderators, ChatRoom Moderators, ...Puppy Moderators. You see where I'm going with this.
Ebenezer might be a perfect example. But just relying on him isn't enough. He has a life, too. This is why I'm saying...maaaayybe get some more people to help him out, yeah?
Oh look, there was some white text around here, somewhere... HUH.

...What else, hmm? Well. That's more for you to decide, yeah? Do you want less Dicks, or do you want people to stay happy? Sure it's a hard choice, and I'm sure it is for everyone who must make a decision like this. However...I think keeping the people happy is more of a...wise choice? Seems to work out for any other site who lets people have second accounts.
Besides, you're always gonna have Dicks of one form or another. If you didn't, this would probably be some type of a prison. [Seriously, think about this. "No, you can't do this." "No, you have to do THIS." "We can't let you do THIS because it'll MESS THINGS UP."] Nobody'd be able to have fun, because they'd always be up on their toes.
I'm kind of seeing this sort of pattern already, and it's almost completely killed not only my Island-addiction, but an awful lot of the people who are around me.
And those ones? They haven't been established, by you, that they're Dicks, yet. [I say yet. I shouldn't say yet. SORRY GUYS.]

Soooo. Yeah. I hate to say it, but like a famous shoe company says "Just Do It", I'm gonna REALLY GO OUT ON A LIMB HERE, and say "Just Deal With It."
Sorry if that's offensive, or any of this comment is, because it's mostly sarcasm mixed with thoughts.

Sarcasm is so hard to portray in all text. Le Baww, my Frenchies.
And I don't mean this in a bad way. Or a nasty way. I really. Seriously. Do not. It isn't meant to be negative, so don't blow your lid once ya read this'un.
Just...deal with it! Yanno! Like ya used to? Seemed to really help out b'fore. There's like an influx of Dicks lately, and I'm seeing the reasons why, honestly.
But instead of getting all SRS like everybody has been lately, try spicing things up with more of that silliness IIslanders have come to love. That's why we're HERE. We wanna be silly idiots.
If we were gonna be all SRSBZNS, we'd be on another roleplay site.

I've been to LoTGD's site. I got bored of it too. No alts, was one of the reasons. And all the SRSNZ was the other half.
Alts, the good ones, are, from what I'm seeing, trying to keep the silliness alive. And they're having a damned hard time of it, too.
Get rid of the Dicks, yes. Nobody wants Dicks here, sure. But...seriously? We're getting all pissy over alts?
We've taken the fun out of just about everything else, and now we're going after people's raw creativity.

TLDR, and I'm sure most of you didn't read, lol:
Keep the damn alts.
And stop making silly topics and freaking people out about alts. I don't even check here often, and it's like HOLY CRAP ALTS U GUYZ, every time.
Every.
Time.
No seriously. Not even kidding on the every time thing.
This should probably be the last one, tbh.
Let's bury this sucker.
I will get the shovels. Big Grin
And some tacos. We can make a party of it!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 01:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As I see it, the possible areas that alt dickery can fall into are

1) Gameplay, in particular farming. I think that Hajen's defined this as well as it's going to be defined, although if you look hard enough you can always find exceptions to any rule set. In this case, being able to see that someone has alts wouldn't do anything at all, just because Callia has twenty alts says nothing.

2) Using alts to gang up on someone, or be dickish in some similar way. Being able to see that someone has alts again won't do too much, we'll just be able to guess (not know) that it's the same person rather than several people. But it's still dickish behaviour whichever way it's happening.

3) Clan espionage. In this case, being able to see alts may help, the clan leaders, but not on general display to everyone. Even then, it won't give much concrete information, only plant suspicions, which may well end up being worse than not knowing at all if the suspicions turn out to be wrong.

But still, giving clan leaders access to knowing how many alts their clan members have might be useful in this case, although it would probably be better if they had to actively seek it out rather than just being somewhere on the bio which could be seen accidentally when the clan leader happened to be visiting to say something in their natter space for example. It might also help if the clan leaders (and only the clan leaders) knew who the alts were. I'm not 100% convinced by this, but I can see a case.

Harris. Cheers for the mention, although I haven't actually done any real writing since Christmas now, and when I did, it was 90% just me talking to myself. What can I say? I'm an asocial sod. I don't have to do it on the Island, but it feels better to me if I do. The whole backgrounds there. Plus I occasionally get people kind enough to stroke my ego by saying that they enjoy it. So, thank you for the shout out.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Clarification.

The ONLY thing we are talking about is adding the line I talked about above. We're not talking about preventing logins, revealing names, blocking or enabling transfers of resources, or restricting commentary. Please stop splintering to discuss these things, because they're not happening.

KimmyMonstah, quit with the text-shrinking stuff, nobody's printing the forum.

One possible other way we could do this is... I dunno, some sort of a trust button? If both players hit the trust button, then all of their alts are revealed to each other?

What I'm trying to instigate here is basically a warning before people get themselves hurt.

WARNING: You are about to have sex with someone you hate.
WARNING: Your clan and several others are run by the same man.
WARNING: You are standing up for the feminist principles of a misogynist troll pretending to be a female Rookie.
WARNING: You are being lied to.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 02:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Callia: CHOCOLATE!

Kimmy: Not offended, more surprised, really. You sounded very angry, and hardly playfully sarcastic. However, I don't think you need to be. Unless there is something that you know about that hasn't been said here, no-one in charge has said we need to get rid of Alts.
CMJ even started this thread with "let's discuss". Thats sounds like a quite reasonable, non-kill-em-all-let-God-sort-'em-out approach.

HM:
Well then!
You are very welcome, and I look forward to you prattling on to yourself more in the future.

Everyone:
I like everyone I've run into in this odd, odd little game over the past two years. For various reasons, yeah, but I do.
We have a sticky problem here, and one that is actually dear to lots of folk (me being one of them).
I see no reason to lose faith at all, though. Look at what happened when our Mods and our Admin had it pointed out to them, and agreed that NewHome had gotten unwelcoming.
They brought it to us, the players, for a discussion. Together, we changed the damn problem for the better. Are there still troubles? Well yeah, but...they are SO much smaller now. So much more easily removed by Dan and the Moderators entirely, because we banded together, and still are.
We'll be fine, and so will Dan's game.
We just need to keep looking for how.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Clarification.

The ONLY thing we are talking about is adding the line I talked about above.

What I'm trying to instigate here is basically a warning before people get themselves hurt.

I need to ask the silly question here; is it safe to assume that having some kind of 24/7 in-game player-accessible label for people who have alts looks like the only reasonable option?

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey, I'm an opionated bastard who has no problem running to the mods anytime I see something that I think is dickery. Or immoral. or just bad roleplay. (Sorry, Sessine and Eben!) But by what Kimmy was saying, that makes me kinda-a-little-like a mini-mod. Woohoo!

On a more serious note.

I think there is something to be said for having a mod (or mini-mod) camped in Kitt and NewHome, 24/7. Kitt because it NEVER FUCKING SLEEPS, and Newhome for a few reasons: It, as we have covered, has to be much more dick-free than the rest of the island. Also, the island, sadly, can have its downtimes, and I'm not just talking about those godawful periods where I'm cut off from my one true love this silly internet game. Sometimes, there's just not many people around, and a welcoming voice is really needed in Newhome. If there are enough trustworthy people, I think that would be a good course of action.

Whoa. Just saw CMJ's clarification in that handy little "last few posts" box at the bottom. On to that!

I don't think the trust button is 100% necessary... if I trust someone with the information, I let them know over distracts/gchat/msn, and that wouldn't solve the issues at the bottom if someone doesn't trust.

UNLESS

It only shows up when someone has alts? Then you could be like "Hit that trust botton, or no naughty time for you!"

With the original line idea: maybe it could just be something like "This narrator has alts." No specific number, so people can't be like "OMG X Has 26 alts, and Y does too! X is Y OMG."

back to mini-mods... I think there's something to be said for adding a little more responsibility to Clan Leader's plates? I dunno what exactly, but if you really wanna be a leader, you should be responsible for those you're leading, seeing as how you've got total control over it.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 02:41 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Regarding "mini-mods": They already exist. The Island has four mods and each of us has a bloody contingent of folks who have our Distracts and Gtalk handles. They are not shy about waving flags when they see something's gone wrong. For me, at least, Distracts go to my e-mail, which means they go to my phone, which means if (heaven forbid) I am not near my laptop, I can intervene in the wilderness. Folks flag us if we don't see a problem first, and we are able to intervene swiftly and appropriately. I don't reckon it necessary to increase our bureaucratic structure when the system is already in place.

I'm touched y'all are concerned about us being spread thin. Wink I think we're fine right now, given the amount of time we spend (or me and Epaphus spend, anyway, can't say anything about S and Eben) seatdancing to shitty rap, writing, going about real life, and killing many pigs with many small birds. We'll let CMJ know when we're spread too thin, but the alt issues raised here aren't a matter of being spread thin, as CMJ clarified above. And, for me, at least, the job is a lot less stressful and or time consuming than you might imagine. Yes, we do a lot, but it is a pretty straightforward 'lot' which requires regular, short-burst check-ins rather than CONTINUOUS SURVEILLANCE AAHHH.

Two cents THUSLY THROWN, if you think it might be useful to have me on speed-dial and you don't already, then feel free to add me. In pictorial format because I don't want spam :

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Tyr
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 03:35 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

WARNING: You are about to have sex with someone you hate.
WARNING: Your clan and several others are run by the same man.
WARNING: You are standing up for the feminist principles of a misogynist troll pretending to be a female Rookie.
WARNING: You are being lied to.

Here's the thing, though: A line about how many alts someone has isn't going to tell you who those alts are, just that they exist. Maybe your clan leader has 2 alts. Maybe one of them is running Rival Clan You Hate and Would Like To See Burned to The Ground. Or maybe that alt is just a funny little RP alt your leader uses to play someone else now and again. There's no way of knowing (unless you ask your leader, who can just lie).

What happens when one person is willing the push the trust button, and the other isn't? My concern (apparently I have a few of them) is that any in-game, institutionalized method of alt revelation will lead to more distrust and hurt feelings. The single line could create a feeding frenzy of "It's an alt! Oh god, whose is it? Who are you? Hmm? Hmm? Hmm? Look, Callia's alt total went up by one! I wonder who the new one is!"

I had a clan leader once who turned out to be an alt. It upset me greatly, and I ended up leaving the clan. But it had never occurred to me that they could have been an alt, and I'm not sure that a bio-line would have given me any more warning. Though that could be because I'm as thick as a plank of wood.

But if I'm a rookie, and someone asks me to join their clan, I'm not going to be savvy enough to go around peering at and comparing alt-totals (which won't help me anyway), and I'm not going to say to my prospective leader "Hey, I'll show you my alts if you show me yours." New players are too concerned with finding pants and eating something other than ratpacks to think "Gee, is this friendly person lying to me?"

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 03:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One possible other way we could do this is... I dunno, some sort of a trust button? If both players hit the trust button, then all of their alts are revealed to each other?.

I like this.

A button on the bio page, saying "This player has alternate characters (alts) Query now?". PlayerOne hits button, sends an automatic distraction to PlayerTwo. PlayerTwo then has the option of adding PlayerOne to a "Trusted User" text box on PlayerOne's bio page. This box may be edited at any time.

Now, when PlayerOne hits button on PlayerTwo's bio, the alts are automatically revealed.

It puts the burden on the player with alts. If they choose not to respond, then the the requester knows to think twice before interacting.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 04:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am a player with 0 alts. I don't even have the time to spend my 12 chronospheres every two days.

Having a line in the bio saying that the player has alts, that the account is an alt, or that there is a trust button that people might tell alts to one another about, are all useless or ineffective methods of dealing with players who use alt accounts to be dicks.

The methods that would be effective are all restrictive, and it's clear that CMJ doesn't intend on infringing on the availability of alts, just about the visibility.

But I repeat, increasing visibility of alts will give you a very small amount of fixing for a much larger amount of drama. Calliaphone mentions having things like an invisible alt to get away from everything and just let her read solo. If you have a "trust button", and now someone asks calliaphone, "Hey, trust me to know my alts so I can know yours," she might feel that while she does 'trust' the person, she doesn't want anybody to know who she is when she's in Island-Reading-Mode. Yet if she refuses to hit the trust button, now that person is all like, "Hey, how come you don't trust me?" And so now there's either someone's emotions that you have to gently assuage over a long period of time to convince them you like playing with them but you want your independence, or you give in, let them know, and get bothered every time you want to play, ever.

If a person is using alts to be dickish, reprimand the person, ban if needed. If they use alts after that, IP-ban them. If they use proxies, they have WAY too much dedication to trolling, but the mods have to then just play whack-a-mole.

Hmm. Perhaps we just need an ignore function.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply