Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Alts
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Tuesday, March 29 2011 @ 03:44 PM UTC  

Quote by: CavemanJoe

WARNING: You are about to have sex with someone you hate.
WARNING: Your clan and several others are run by the same man.
WARNING: You are standing up for the feminist principles of a misogynist troll pretending to be a female Rookie.
WARNING: You are being lied to.

Eungh. I really need to say it. This seriously bothers me. And I will say why:

If someone is using an alt to sabotage, trick, mock, lie, or otherwise be dickish to other players, then their behavior needs to be looked at privately, taken up privately, and dealt with privately. It shouldn't have to be a bigger deal than it already is. I don't understand why it matters if someone's being a dick on their alt or being a dick on their main, because either way, they're being a dick.

Also, this is a game for grown-ups. We are all supposed to be grownups, and we are all supposed to know not to take it seriously. If you are going to get drastically upset over one of these possible dickeries, you either need to cool your jets, or be more careful. Don't cyber-sex people you aren't sure you know. Ask around about a clan before you join one. Ignore someone who is being a dick, or report them to mods. Take this stuff at face value, and brush it off your shoulder.

All of these warnings, and the issues CMJ seems to be concerned with, are all what I would consider issues of personal accountability. The only people who need to be responsible, or affected, by these things are the person doing them and the person having them done to him/her. I am against any measures implemented that may affect the entire community in an adverse way (per other concerns expressed in this thread) because a few people are being dicks.

g_rock
 Tuesday, March 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've very little to add except to agree with the general feeling, as I understand it, that No on this feature.

Personally, I don't WANT to know whose alts are whose. Even given a number, "Calliaphone has 37.5 alts" I wouldn't want to know, nor would I ask. The same goes with a trust button. I like the idea, but I would hope that, if you trusted someone enough to share that info, you would already have done so.

These types of features are discouraging to legitimate users, but the dicks who abuse the alts in the first place would be put out not at all, as is usually the case with dicks.

My feeling is that I'd like my blissful ignorance, and if the mods know about this sort of dickness, then isn't it the sort of thing that needs to be blown up just with the individuals?

[Warning: Well then maybe I should have found out more before I hooped in the sack, eh?
Warning: If it's my clan leader, he likely misplaced the first one, forgot about it, and accidentally created the new one while trying to get his motorized scooter parking validated
Warning: Maybe the misogynist troll needs to have their alt deleted
Warning: Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last]

Basically, you mods all have my sympathies, the burden of knowledge and all that. Having to watch this kinda stuff and not really being sure whether to intervene without being asked.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, March 29 2011 @ 10:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do like the idea of the list upon registration. Even if it wasn't "HEY WE KNOW YOU'RE MAKING A NEW CHARACTER" and just "If you've forgotten your old character's name, here are characters we found listed for you," it provides a reality check that it -is- information that can be fetched, and that if the player thinks they're being clever by registering an alt, they need to re-evaluate just how clever they are.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, March 29 2011 @ 10:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Can this be with the list? Please?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, March 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think this is more the Island's speed, though.

Profile Email
hajen
 Wednesday, March 30 2011 @ 01:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

looks like we've exhausted this thread...
*pulls out a timetable and studies it*
*pulls out and glances at pocket watch*
*nods head and points at the timetable*
just as I thought, the Ashtu special should be pulling into the station on track three, platform B of this thread in 15 minutes...
Wink

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, March 30 2011 @ 01:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

NOW BOARDING THE BEEPS EXPRESS, DERAILING EARLY

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, March 30 2011 @ 01:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: hajen

the Ashtu special should be pulling into the station on track three, platform B of this thread in 15 minutes...

Quote by: Beeps

NOW BOARDING THE BEEPS EXPRESS, DERAILING EARLY

Thank you, Beeps - I'm enjoying a cup of coffee, and really didn't feel like throwing the switch.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Darcy
 Thursday, March 31 2011 @ 12:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm saying No for the idea of listing alts in a bio or calling characters an alt. Darcy here is my second character-who-is-now-my-main and I've got a little rookie alt that I run around on when I can't Comms Tent RP in other Outposts and I want to see what's going on (I also had a rather awkwardly named alt for when I decided to peer around the Bordello for the first time but I don't use that one anymore since I decided the name might be offensive).

I think people should be able to 'start over' if they want to or have their little 'just for fun' alts they use for wandering the Island or posting amusing things in Banter/Story. Plenty of people know I was Waif once, but I didn't tell them until I had been around for a good bit since I was trying to establish myself as Darcy, not the first character (some people call me Waif still and it makes me weep).

If people are being dicks, then the moderators should be able to handle the situation since they can check who plays what. Unless this becomes a really severe problem, then let's not have any in-game things that other players can see. Of course, I might be giving people too much credit.

Profile Email
Raidur
 Thursday, March 31 2011 @ 09:28 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

My turn. I do have a single alt, who I prefer to keep anonymous. Its a rather different character and if people knew it was mine, they'd treat it quite differently. I don't want that. They do not intereact, they do not gift anything, they do not help each other in any way. They've only been in RP together a very few times and they've not interacted much as there were others around as well. Heck, they don't even go to each others dwellings (which they did not help each other with). I do tell others that I have an alt, but not who it is, for the mentioned reasons. Anyway, my 2 cents...

NO line in bio, or trust button. A few people may be being dickish with alts, but (hopefully) its not the majority, and should be dealt with privately, not by punishing everyone that decides they want to play a different character.

WARNING: You are about to have sex with someone you hate.
Obviously if their about to have sex, the characters don't hate each other... seriously, a bit of narrator/character separation here. I may dislike certain narrators, but that doesn't mean my characters have to hate their characters. I've even been in the situation that one of my characters (not here) fell in love with another character, who's narrator I disliked. Its STORY, deal with it as such, not by bringing in your petty RL grievances.

WARNING: Your clan and several others are run by the same man.
See, this shouldn't be happening in my opinion. Clans should not be able to be created by the same narrator. Admittedly, both my characters are officers in their clans, because they were asked and I did let the clan leaders know the character is an alt (or that I play multiple characters) Both characters do recruiting for their clans periodically as well.

WARNING: You are standing up for the feminist principles of a misogynist troll pretending to be a female Rookie.
Umm, yeah? Its the internet, we're playing CHARACTERS, who may have completely different ideas from each other. My alts would probably hate each other if they had an extended conversation. So what?

WARNING: You are being lied to.
Again, its the internet, and by definition, roleplaying is lying, as it's a fabrication of fantasy and hence, NOT REAL.

Anyway, theres my opinion, if I'm in the minority, feel free to ignore me, otherwise, perhaps I've added something worthwhile to the process.

Profile Email
Johnson
 Thursday, March 31 2011 @ 10:06 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Chucking in my 0.002 cents in a definite, if polite, no on this idea.

Making the majority pay for the minority's crimes is distressing. And as part of the giddy majority with alts or friends-with-alts for roleplay reasons, I don't want to know that someone else has this number of alts, or that they have 'em at all. That takes away half the fun of reading someone and going, "Is that an alt? THEY WRITE SO WELL. THEY MUST BE AN ALT. WHO CAN IT BE. They sound like Callia! KES, IS IT CALLIA? Tell me already! LET US ANALYSE THEIR CONVERSATIONAL STYLE. Oh. No, Callia just said it's not her. Hmn. Maybe they are just an exceptional rookie. Ebennnnnnnnnnn... Can I squeeze it out of you? Please? Please?"

Guessing is half the fun. Making people guess is the other half. The relief of being someone entirely different from a character you've previously set up is the third half. Yes. Three halves. I'm repeating what other, more lucid people have said- Calli being an example, Escemfer and G_rock being others- but it takes away one whole half of the fun if a rookie comes along and a little note informs you in their bio that they are actually an alt. No, two halves.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, March 31 2011 @ 10:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There was one thing I was confused about in this discussion - There were some mentions of playing alts, either in the same clan, or different clans, as a way to farm resources - While I realize that with a second character you get twice as many game days, The actual amount of work a character does isn't decreased if the character is played by one player or another (Unless one player's a psychotic minmaxer and the other's a casual player, but DETAILS). I know there are a FEW events that you can use to get items per day, but really, are two or three cigs a day going to tip the scales? Is there something here I'm missing that makes having alts in a clan ridiculously unbalanced?
On the topic of alts, but veering slightly to the side to visit a tourist trap along the line of thought here...
Improbable Island seems like it's very much not about the game. Yes, there are people for which it is, but a lot of people are here for the community, to talk, to roleplay, and generally share their creations. To this end, I can't even see a problem with the issue of resource funneling via alts - If a player can figure out a way to use a second character that keeps them in enough money that their main is never short on One-Shots (At the cost of a penny per trade, no less), speeding along dwelling building, does that really give them an "unfair advantage?" So they have a few extra rooms built before another person.
The concept of an unfair advantage is based on the idea that there is a level of competition in the player base where spending time doing one thing and not another would put the player at a detriment, either gameplay-wise or when compared to other players. This really doesn't seem like the case. Yes, there are ways that a player could cheat and do things to get themselves extra cigs, or have 50k req on the beginning of a Rank 7 DK, but there are always ways to do that, both 'legal' and 'illegal.' I know that there are some players who have friendly rivalries going on with things (Getting to Level 100 logging first, race to complete a DK, whatever), but policing how the players in these rivalries get their materials/funding seems like it should be more up to the players in the competitions. If player A uses an alt to start their DK off with 10k more than Player B in the competition, how is that any more or less fair than player C donating a fiver and getting a bag of req? Or if player D asked player E to hold onto some crates for them at the end of their DK so they could pick them up at the beginning of the next?
I realize the topic here is (I believe) more about people just being dicks and not playing like dicks, but this has been running in the back of my head a while.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, March 31 2011 @ 12:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Beeps, as someone who plays the game primarily for the game, I can vouch that the idea of fair competition still exists in Improbable Island. As for bags of req, I completely ignore their existence, along with cartons of cigs. Paying for cosmetic features is a fine way to fund the developer, paying for an in-game advantage breaks the spirit of fair play. When I get to 100 Stonecutting, I'm going to say, "Heck yeah, I'm one of the top stonecutters and I'm probably the only one who didn't use a Builder's Brew to get here." On the flip side of the token, it's quite likely that the top stonecutters who did use Builder's Brews did so because they weren't trying to engage in some character-skill-developing-competition, they just wanted their awesome buildings constructed quickly.

With such dual aspect in the game, I can entertain the idea of having the Builder's Brews--you use them "knowing" that you're disqualified from that particular leaderboard, because you're trying to facilitate your RP experience instead.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.45 seconds
New Topic Post Reply