Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Fourth wall Radio!
 |  Printable Version
Wolfgang
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM UTC (Read 1826 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

So although i am liking the radio channel, I had a thought:
Won't this global banter replace Location four? if it is indeed meant to stick around.... I dunno i just feel like directing people to the global banter will replace Loaction Four...

Wolf

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 03:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's inevitable that some questions will be answered quicker in the Radio banter and I'm fine with that. However, Location 4 still serves a purpose. First off, the banter moves way too fast to check for an answer later. Secondly, questions might simply be overshadowed by all the Queen lyrics. Lastly, *dons mustache, smoking jacket and monocle* some people prefer the quality and service we can provide in Location Four that can't be found or replaced elsewhere.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Wolfgang
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Edit: I was requested that i clarify...

What i'm thinking is having a banter channel at hand all the time no matter where you are on the island, it's like a portable location four. Therefore, Whats the point in keeping Location four if everyone can access a banter channel (And face it, banter is pretty much a small L4 all in it's own) They can ask their questions there.
I feel having a banter channel beside story, a global banter, and L4 would be redundant X3.

ALTHOUGH i haven't been around on the island long enough to really know how much each place is used... And how the coding works as well, i got no flippin idea.

So if we keep this Global banter (Meaning like... it actually works, and doesn't royally F^&$ the server) i guess my question is, should we dispense of L4, and maybe even banter at some point?

Pro's would be that the questions and banter talk would be almost completely separate from the story
Con's, could frig up the server, might not work on all browsers.... thats more or less all i can think of. anyone else got some idea's?

@ maniak: I dunno, as a newb, i used the enquirer and regular banter for all my needs... but again, thats just me. I don't know how often L4 is actually used.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 03:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

L4 is used more often than the Banter in Squathole and Necropolis combined. There's usually 12-13 pages. It has a very good signal to noise ratio. Something you won't find in Banter. I saw this in action yesterday, when the question "What do you get in the Midget Brothel" was asked. Well, you can guess the responses. ;-)

As far as one Banter to rule them all: No. Dear god no. What if I'm roleplaying in an outpost and quickly ask my co-player if X is alright? There's a good chance my fellow actor will miss my question amongst all the drivel. Banter in Kittania, NewHome and the failboat can go pretty fast at times, imagine that all in one space. Insanity I tell you.

Other than that, technical issues/user friendliness. I don't know how it works on a mobile phone, but I imagine switching tabs and popups to be rubbish.

If you have a simple question like "How I become Kittymorph so I can be teh fuzzy?" - yeah, banter is fine. Ask something more complicated like "I'm a kittymorph noa! wuts this slender penanlty?" and there will be a few stammered answers. Ask anything slightly complex like how Ranks/Titans work, and you really need to be lucky the right person is online.

Banter is for silliness. Location four is serious business.

Profile Email Website
Symar
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 03:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I wouldn't want to dispense of local banters if global banter stays.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 04:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

....Banter is for silliness. Location four is serious business.

Say that again, louder. For emphasis.

Banter is for silliness. Location four is serious business.

And I know it's been mentioned before, but - Location Four on the HMS Failboat? Please?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 04:58 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

We'll have to see how it settles out. It's hard to know in advance how people will come to use a facility -- the predictions when local Banter was introduced were pretty much all wrong. I think L4 will continue to be the best place to get a game-mechanics question answered -- because, as Maniak says, it has a high signal-to-noise ratio.

As for how usage will settle out between local Banter and this new radio channel... possibly a fair bit of the chit-chat that's not story-related will move to Radio, if only because the conversations won't have to be interrupted if a character hits the failboat. I can see this -- maybe -- encouraging more actual game-play from some players.

The questions on my mind, though, are: After the novelty has worn off, who will be keeping that other tab open? Will there be a lot of new players? What social norms will develop there? What tone should mods be trying to encourage? I don't think we can answer any of that right now, but it's what I'm going to be thinking about.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

+1 on keeping L4. Maniak said it.

On Global Chat: yes, it's fun, but it seems rather pointless apart from silliness. (Not that silliness is bad, of course! I love being silly!) I'm far more likely to use local banter if I want to say or ask something of any significance. But, uh, any chance of moving the link to the left menu bar, or at least to the bottom of the right stat bar? Instead of right up there with the vital info? Now my buffs are even futher down the page and I keep having to scroll mid battle...

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

But, uh, any chance of moving the link to the left menu bar, or at least to the bottom of the right stat bar? Instead of right up there with the vital info? Now my buffs are even futher down the page and I keep having to scroll mid battle...

Yes, please. Little annoyances like this are more damaging than one would think. Other than that, it's an interesting idea, and I hope it stays. At the same time, I won't be too crushed if it doesn't.

On a similar note, I notice the radio banter doesn't have underlined names and holy shit it looks so much better. I realize it's because the names aren't links to the bios like they are in the regular game, but any chance we can get those dotted underlines removed from regular story/banter? They are so ugly.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heh, I knew this would get mentioned as soon as I saw where the link was. I agree though, it clutters the view.

Could the labs and the enquirer be merged, then a link to the radio on the top bar where the labs link was? It's the most unobtrusive yet accessible place I can think of. Otherwise, a pref to not show the Game State. It's not vital data, and I can find all that info elsewhere.

Profile Email Website
Mongo
 Sunday, April 17 2011 @ 04:22 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

For a minimum fix, could we swap places for Game State and Buffs? Get the one we use closer to the top of the list?

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, April 17 2011 @ 05:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mongo

For a minimum fix, could we swap places for Game State and Buffs? Get the one we use closer to the top of the list?

Or, better, simply move Buffs above Game State, and keep Global Banter on the bottom, so that it goes in order of general use.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Sunday, April 17 2011 @ 11:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Matthew

Quote by: Mongo

Or, better, simply move Buffs above Game State, and keep Global Banter on the bottom, so that it goes in order of general use.

Right! I should think first, then write.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply