Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Islanders in Trouble.
 |  Printable Version
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, May 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM UTC (Read 10924 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A few of us islanders that I know had been informed of an islander that had been hit by the recent tornado.
Right now she's homeless and jobless. I wish I could help her, but I have no real way how.

While I don't think there's anything we could really DO to help out any of our islanders in trouble, I think that there should at least be a place for us to give them our best wishes.

If anyone does come up with something, feel free to post ideas. But that isn't the main point here.
I feel that we just need to send some of our dear friends some really good luck, wishes, and happy thoughts their way.

Thanks in advance for any postings, it will probably mean a lot for the person you're wishing for.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Tuesday, May 24 2011 @ 11:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I feel that a good thing for the rest of us to do would be to make sure these persons have a Hyper Ring. It could take a little pressure off. If CMJ can't be persuaded to offer the benefits of the ring, maybe he can set it up for us to donate. I would be happy to buy a ring for someone who needs it.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 01:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Best wishes to whoever this person is, you're having a bit of a hard time here aren't you? Hope you manage to get back on your feet again soon.

But that sounds a little hollow when I don't actually know who it is. Kimmy, could you give us all a few more details please? Like her name for example.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 01:37 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Mongo

I feel that a good thing for the rest of us to do would be to make sure these persons have a Hyper Ring. It could take a little pressure off. If CMJ can't be persuaded to offer the benefits of the ring, maybe he can set it up for us to donate. I would be happy to buy a ring for someone who needs it.

That's a very kind thought, Mongo.

It's not only the big headline-making disasters that can disrupt a person's life to the point where logging in to a game just isn't going to happen. An auto accident will do it.

The mechanism is already in place for giving HyperRings to someone who's dealing with a real-life disaster -- except for one awkward thing: giftwrap. HyperRings currently will only work if the person logs in and unwraps their gift. Otherwise -- this sounds weird, but it's how the giving works, behind the scenes -- all they own (or rather, all that the game knows they own) is a bit of giftwrap, and it's the giftwrap that owns the HyperRing!

Giftwrap is a nice touch... nobody wants it to go away. And for anything else, requiring a recipient to log in and unwrap the gift before they actually possess it is perfectly reasonable. The whole point of a HyperRing, though, is to protect a character who isn't going to be able to log in, and maybe already can't.

It really ought to be able to work its magic even through wrapping paper and ribbons.

Profile Email
Assacura
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 02:02 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hair Mary, I believe Kimmy is talking about Sinlyx (aka, the narrator for Sinna and Alyxia among others). This is just a guess going off of that I heard what went on where she lived in another forum, ran to our census thread to find the map and see where she had stuck her pin to make sure. Also, I haven't seen her on gtalk the last couple of days.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 02:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Said unfortunate Islander is a dear friend of mine, and let me tell you that this is probably the last thing in the entire world that she needed right now. Well, not to say that anyone particularly needs it, but her less so. Unfortunately, well wishes are really the best I can give, so...

Hang in there, you (and maybe others who were affected, I don't know of any others), we all wish you the best. Frown

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 05:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I did not disclose who the islander was, because that person may not want to be disclosed.
This is not only a forum topic for her, but for any other islander who you feel could use some well-wishings.
They may not have to be someone in trouble, but they may just be feeling bad. If you know someone and would like to wish them well here, feel free! It just seems like a nice thing to do, even if you can't really go in and help them, as much as you'd like to.
I felt, however, that they simply would like to see that there are a lot of us out there, who really do care about them.

-While ideas are not the main topic of this thread, I do like Mongo's idea. It seems like a nice thing to do.

-Again, Hairy, this is more to anyone, and not just one person. But the suffering this one person has had to endure spurred me to create a topic for all of them. Even the ones we might not all know.

-Sessine, thanks for helping to explain this, you understand perfectly what I'm striving to do, here.
As for the whole unwrapping issue, perhaps if there was a way to check a little box that would say to not giftwrap HyperRings? Just a thought.

-Yes, Assacura. She informed Ebenezer, and then myself not much later, then had to leave. She's a dear friend to me.
Dear friends of others need to be well wished for as well.

Thank you all, however, for your consideration.

My best wishes to all of you, the ones who are able to read this, and the others who could use our thoughts.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 07:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This thread was a nice thought.

I'd like to add what weight I can to what will hopefully turn into a groundswell of good feeling and hope for any islanders in need.

Whoever, wherever you are remember that when RL deals you a duff hand tomorrow is a New Day and we're all here on the island
rooting for you, missing you and waiting for your safe return.

Chin up!

Mak.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
KimmyMonstah
 Wednesday, May 25 2011 @ 09:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Makiwa

This thread was a nice thought.

Thank you.

Thank you more for your kind words.

Profile Email
Sinna
 Thursday, May 26 2011 @ 02:02 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Oh, gods. Guys, I'm crying right now. I swear, I'm bawling like a little baby. Thank you so much for your well wishes, everyone. My home is flattened. Wiped off like it was never there. My job is..... Well, they hope they can fix it, but it won't be for a good, long while. For those who don't know, I am Sinna/Alyxia/Selene/Billie/Aislinn. I haven't been on because of the disaster, but I should be able to log my girls every once in a while. There are places here that are allowing internet time, so I am able to keep my girls from disappearing, but I won't be able to play for some time. If anyone wants to speak to me directly, distract any of my girls or email me at sinnamystika@gmail.com and I will reply as soon as I am able. You can YouTube "Joplin Tornado" for pictures and videos of the tornado and the damage. If you search "Plaza Apartments" and find damage photos, that was my home. I can tell people now 'cause, well, I don't live there anymore and creepy stalkers won't find me in the rubble. Send your thoughts and prayers for those who lost more than I did. I'll be okay. Thank you everyone. I can't thank you enough, Kimmy, for doing this. I love you all. Take care of your loved ones. Cherish them. And pray to whatever gods you believe in that everyone who survived is found. I know they pulled seven survivors out of Wal-Mart yesterday. I want to hear that they've found more.

Dear Gods and Goddesses..... Help the babies find their mommies and daddies. Help the mommies and daddies find their babies. Bless those who will never see their families again. I got lucky. Please help everyone who wasn't so lucky as I. I have no home or job, but many of these people lost so much more. Thank you Gods and Goddesses all. Protect them, every one.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Thursday, May 26 2011 @ 02:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't cry, I've been crying too much over this already.
Thank you, but I wish there was more we could do for you. It's good to see that you're uninjured.
I've already talked to you through gTalk, so I won't keep this long. But you really do have our best, as well as anyone else who needs well-wishings either right here and now, or sometime in the future.

Be Safe. We Love You.

Profile Email
Swede
 Thursday, May 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wow... Eek!
Best wishes to all that were hit by this.

Profile Email
Anna Dewhurst
 Thursday, May 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I don't think there's anything I can say that will mean anything when I have so little idea what you're going through, Sinna, but my thoughts and prayers are with you. Please, be safe. Please.

Profile Email
Sinna
 Thursday, May 26 2011 @ 04:39 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Thank you, everyone. Thank you for your well wishes. I have some photos up of my home on Flickr, if you want to see. I'll get more up as time goes on, so keep watching. Thankfully, a few of my possessions (camera, tinyputer, some clothes) were at a friend's place that day and are okay.

Here is a place that she managed to get her camera out in her back yard before it hit. They were on the edge of the tornado, from what I understand. But the edge of a 3/4 mile (1.2 km) wide tornado is still pretty bad. She's actually a friend of my friend, so we're glad this is all she got.

This video was taken by a person as the tornado ripped apart the gas station they were in. As far as I know, everyone there was okay. He's also got a video where he went back and showed what the gas station looked like afterwards.

Here is a video of the monster forming. Again: 3/4 mile (1.2km) wide.

Just so you have an idea of what Joplin went through. In case you were curious.

Profile Email
Sinna
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 05:12 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Found more survivors, but many more bodies. Last official count I heard was 125. Westboro Cult is coming here to "preach" on Sunday, I hear. The President will also be making an appearance at the college. This is just to let you guys know I'm okay. Hope this isn't considered abuse of the forum.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 05:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't think it is. It seems like you're only giving updates.

That really is awful that they're finding more deaths, but finding more survivors is a good thing. Hopefully those people will not have to suffer too much longer.

Continue to be Safe, Sinna. We love you very much.
Take it one day at a time. Please don't stress yourself too much.

Again, if there are any more people who any of would like to send well-wishings, or hope, or just a general "hope you feel better soon", feel free to post it here. They'll be thankful of your caring.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 06:26 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Gimme a day or two to get my dev machine up and devving, and I'll sort you out with Hyperrings.

I'm gonna try to do a geographical IP address lookup for anyone who might have been affected by the tornado, and give them hyperrings too, but that might take some time. Meanwhile, if anyone is conspicuously absent and contact attempts fail, please bring it to my attention.

Profile Email Website
Sinna
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Thank you so much. I really hope nobody else was effected. That would be awful. There was a big one in Oklahoma too, so you might try emailing people?? I don't know. I think I can get on the internet periodically, but I never know when. I've been lucky enough to be able to get on almost every day since it happened on Sunday, but I don't think that will last. Again, I hope no one else was hurt or at all involved. One of us is more than enough. Thank you all for everything. I'll try to keep updating periodically.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Sunday, May 29 2011 @ 05:44 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Sinna: To see you thinking of others at a time like this is an inspiration for us all.
Blessings on you.

Yaay CMJ, a leader we're proud to follow!

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Sinna
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 10:36 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Rumor has it that only one person showed from Westboro. That person was chased away by the biker group that travels along behind Westboro and buffers people from them. We saw them come through on Saturday, but never saw anyone from Westboro. The President came and did a nifty little speech, but they shut down all the important streets when he was there, so it was hard to get around town. Some places have electricity back and we're not under boil order anymore. Went out to where the tornado touched down. It's bad out there too. Before it even had any debris to tear things up with, it was chewing things up badly.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply