Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Putting together a care package for Spider Robinson
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 03:32 AM UTC (Read 2427 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

To sum up, this is an E-mail I sent to Spider's email-handling people a little while back:

Hey. I notice Spider's website hasn't been updated in a while, and I imagine he must still be feeling pretty low. His books have cheered me up when the world seemed a very dark place, and I'd like to extend the favour - ideally I'd like to send him something, a box of coffee and Bushmill's and books and music and lovely things. Just... y'know, something to remind him that there are a lot of people who have never met him, but who love him anyway.

If I were to post something to you, could you send it on to him? (you can open it first if you want and check that I'm not, like, a crazy person...)

Thanks, and if you say no, I'll understand completely,

-Dan Hall
improbableisland.com

A few minutes ago, I got this reply:

Dear Dan,

Go for itóand thank you in advance. You correctly guess Iíve been feeling low lately, and I appreciate your kindness. My mailing address is:

(Spider's mailing address)

And from now on youíre welcome to use my private email address, (Spider's email). I read mail sent there daily, here monthly at best.

As soon as I can, Iíll get another podcast posted, and Iím trying as hard as I can to write the next book; sooner or later I imagine Iíll succeed. And youíre right: itís way past time I updated the site. Itís been over a year, now. Soon....I hope.

Thanks again,
Spider

The long version:
Spider Robinson is a sci-fi author who wrote, among other works, the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series - books guaranteed to cheer you up if you're in a dark place. Without us ever meeting, he's helped me through some very, very grim times. On the 30th of May last year, Spider's wife Jeanne succumbed to cancer. Since her death, he's been pretty much incommunicado, and I got worried - 'cause if you're famous, then sometimes people are afraid to talk to you, to wish you well. Or maybe people think that there will be so many other people wishing you well that you don't need one more. Sometimes that turns out to be faulty logic.

I figure Spider already knows that people love him, but... a box of presents is a physical thing. It's proof. It's a grounding of the kilovolts of love that must be scattered, floating around the world in handfuls of amps here and there. Proof is important sometimes.

So, my question for you, Islanders, particularly those of you who are fans of Spider Robinson...

...what would you put in the box?

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 08:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Season tickets to his favorite public entertainment venue.

(Shared pain is diminished - shared joy is increased.)

Thank you.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 09:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you're going for whiskey I'd put a bottle of Black Bush, the finest Irish there is IMO.

A box of Belgian chocolates.

A "It's A New Day.." T-Shirt?

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Boudi
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 02:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Good tea or coffee. It's amazing how it can lift a soul up.

Profile Email
Anna Dewhurst
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 10:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Boudi

Good tea or coffee. It's amazing how it can lift a soul up.

Seconded! Maybe a good book, or a few? Of the bordering-on-obscure-so-you're-pretty-sure-he-hasn't-read-them sort?

Profile Email
Boudi
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 11:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Anna+Dewhurst

Seconded! Maybe a good book, or a few? Of the bordering-on-obscure-so-you're-pretty-sure-he-hasn't-read-them sort?

I thought of that, but I worried that he might already have read them. I mean, the ones I would recommend would have been any five of the books in the Hitchhiker trilogy. I'm sure he's already read those.

A happy book. Can be inspiring or the like, but, most importantly, I'd say a sense of humor would be needed.

Now, I'm not a terribly big reader. Not nowadays. Maybe Christopher Moore as a light-hearted one? I simply don't know. But tea and a book have helped me through many a bad day. This bloke needs it.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, June 07 2011 @ 11:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Makiwa

A "It's A New Day.." T-Shirt?

I'd go for the mug, actually. Especially if you're giving coffee and tea. Coffee goes great with mug. Plus, no guessing at sizes or anything, and if he doesn't play a LoGD-based game, it's kind of a hard shirt to explain, so it probably wouldn't get worn.

Dig around in those dollar movie bins at wal-mart. Sometimes you can find some fantastic stuff underneath the top layer of crap. The copyrights are running out on those fantastic old sci fi and horror movies.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Wednesday, June 08 2011 @ 05:22 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Something handmade.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, June 08 2011 @ 10:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

hmmmm - Thinking out of the box, here - something improbable to draw him out.....

Create a new bar in IC and call it The Place, serving only Irish Coffee. The coffee could give a mild buff, perhaps - similar to the Cake.

Reserve a table in The Place for him; a place for him to hold court and converse with the Islanders.

Create a special, preconfigured account for him - upon logging in, he is automatically placed in his chair (barstool?) in The Place.

Then, finally, politely ask him to stop by and meet us there - (giving all of us sufficient notice, of course) - so those of us who already know and love him can express that, and those unfortunates who don't know him can remedy that.

He is, after all, the patron saint of Improbability.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Thursday, June 09 2011 @ 02:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'd suggest a prayer bead bracelet.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Anonymous: beamjt
 Thursday, June 09 2011 @ 11:08 PM UTC  

Spider has a Wish List on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&type=wishlist&cid=A1K2J1OGK8WBSL

Ashtu
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 01:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: beamjt

Spider has a Wish List on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&type=wishlist&cid=A1K2J1OGK8WBSL

Yeah, and it's getting shorter.....

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.42 seconds
New Topic Post Reply