Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Secret Rooms in Places, and Failed Command Log
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM UTC (Read 2333 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay folks, if you've played with the test server at all then you'll know that there are a ton of different ways to make Secret Rooms, but none of them involve commentary commands so far.

I'm thinking of two different Contrivances for dealing with commentary commands; one of which checks if a phrase matches exactly (like the current system) and one of which checks whether the entered command contains a word or phrase. A single Contrivance would be able to hold up to half a dozen phrases, but you could use Contrivances in series with each other if you need more room.

Now, one of the things that I can do (but this would have to be a supporter option) is log the commands that the player enters that don't do anything. So for example, say you've got a Room like this:

PHP Formatted Code
You are standing in a small living room.  On the walls are a painting of a noble gentleman, a pair of crossed rifles, and a bookcase.

And you've got a Commentary Command Contrivance set up to sniff for "EXAMINE BOOKCASE", that leads the player to a hidden room or gives them a Memento or whatever.

Now, say the player entered "DRAW MOUSTACHE ON NOBLE GENTLEMAN" - you wouldn't know about it, but maybe seeing that could inspire you to perhaps make something happen if the player were to enter that. How much would you pay to see that data?

So it'd be presented something like this:

PHP Formatted Code
Name | Command | Room | Page
Admin CavemanJoe | DRAW MOUSTACHE ON NOBLE GENTLEMAN | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | DRAW MOUSTACHE ON PAINTING | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | DEFACE PAINTING | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | PEE ON PAINTING | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | LOOK AT BOOKCASE | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | TIP OVER BOOKCASE | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | DRAW MOUSTACHE ON BOOKCASE | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | PEE ON BOOKCASE | Living Room | None
Admin CavemanJoe | PEE ON EVERYTHING | Living Room | None

So there you can see that people expect the painting to do something and maybe you should oblige them, and you should also probably add "LOOK AT BOOKCASE" or perhaps just "BOOKCASE" to the triggers to the bookcase.

Logging all of this stuff will generate lots of data and take up system resources, but it could be very, very useful and lead to more awesome Places. So, how much should I charge to enable it for a whole Place?

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Saturday, August 27 2011 @ 02:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh god, I'm so sorry, I couldn't stop myself! Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, considering the second question about how much would I pay for a contraption (or contrivance?) that would log entered commands.... If it applies to the whole dwelling, I thick that would be as valuable as a Memory, but it'd be only a one-time purchase, so maybe it's more valuable... but it would only be valuable to people who want to use commands to trigger things, like adventure quests and mazes... So I'm guessing not a lot of people would actually use it (I could be wrong, though), so it should be a premium item. Maybe in the ten-dollar range? Confused

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Swede
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 10:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do see the fun of it, but not something I'd use if it cost too much, so something about 2-3 dollar?
I don't know if that still makes it worth the hassle for you, just stating what it would be worth to me.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is something that I'd like to have. I think that for a whole dwelling, I'd pay in the ten dollar range.
But it would be the last thing that I bought when I'd saved up enough, after memories, permanent accounts (hyper rings) and special comments.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think as a payed item, hopefully nice and easily grabed at the lodge... 6 options...

I'd say $3-6

I think that 6 options will fill up fast with most dedicated builders and home designers and they would be more likely to buy more at a moderate price, but have it high enough that the lesser builders can do a bit of messing about and it help the site.

with even my small place 'm planning with like 6 rooms or so I could easily fill 6 commands that might make pages and their descriptions appear that otherwise where hidden.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 06:31 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

I think as a payed item, hopefully nice and easily grabed at the lodge... 6 options...

I'd say $3-6

I think that 6 options will fill up fast with most dedicated builders and home designers and they would be more likely to buy more at a moderate price, but have it high enough that the lesser builders can do a bit of messing about and it help the site.

with even my small place 'm planning with like 6 rooms or so I could easily fill 6 commands that might make pages and their descriptions appear that otherwise where hidden.

No - the commentary command thingies are free in the Scrapyard, I'm asking how much you'd pay to see what people typed in that you didn't have a Contrivance set up to detect.

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 02:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

I'd say $3-6

No - the commentary command thingies are free in the Scrapyard, I'm asking how much you'd pay to see what people typed in that you didn't have a Contrivance set up to detect.

gah must have read it wrong then... hmmm something that works full place $10

maybe something that only works for one room as cheaper that people might buy up and set for just the one room I can see a cheep $1-2.5 item being popular by room for the less serious builders maybe? I dunno >.>

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 31 2011 @ 07:27 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

An update: Contrivances to check commentary commands are now live on the beta server. After much umming and aahing on my part, they only accept one phrase each; the slight PITA of having to program each one and find room for it is offset by its own simplicity and the usefulness of the Partial Match Contrivance, and there's a "Pass Through" Contrivance that will help when you absolutely do need to use a load of different exact-match phrases.

Failed Command Log isn't in there yet; that might be something to add post-release. And yeah, I'm thinking a tenner sounds about right, as a giftable Lodge item.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.36 seconds
New Topic Post Reply