Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Door Destruction
 |  Printable Version
calliaphone
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 03:24 PM UTC (Read 2093 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

I love that we can now show/hide doors via a setting. Very easy to use, and easy to reverse. Great feature.

I still wish, however, that we still had the option to destroy unwanted doors. Without it, you only have to make a few mistakes and re-tweaks to your layout, and you've got a whole load of doors you want to permanently hide. With the way the settings are presented, that will make a long list get longer over time, with no option to clean up unwanted stuff. I'd be very happy to see door destruction back in place, although not instead of show/hide doors - just as well as.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

pages too. i am proliferating pages at a rate of knots. i'm having to hide them all and label them "Spare page in room ID..." so that I don't get too confused when I'm decorating or setting parameters on a page-related contraption.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 10:46 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

...aaaand programs too? My debug mode is getting crowded with abandoned empty programs. It's colourful and all that, but I wouldn't mind cleaning it up some.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, August 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm going to concur with Callia here. Logically, doors which are permanently locked and hidden look identical to any visitor to doors which aren't there at all, but psychologically to the builder they're really not helpful. I'd go so far as to say that if it cost twice as much wood and stamina to change where doorways led from and to as it did to build a new one, then I'd still use that simply to get rid of unwanted doors.

The whole places system is quite complicated, simply because there's so many wonderful things that we can do with them. Once people start building big places, (and with dwellings we've seen quite a few that if not quite as large as the Bingo Hall, are in that sort of ballpark), then it's going to get hard to keep your head round what's going on. Anything that can simplify matters would be good.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 30 2011 @ 04:01 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Programs at least will sort themselves out so that you don't have any more than you need - the first in any Room or Page is free, but subsequent ones will cost 100sp, to cover the extra server load per page.

(Place Testing items give SP's on the beta server, did you notice?)

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, August 30 2011 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

(Place Testing items give SP's on the beta server, did you notice?)[/p]

I didn't realize that's where it was from, at first. I thought my SP were mirrored from the main server. You gave a fucking heart attack trying to figure out when I'd tossed 80 bucks in the hat.

Profile Email
Swede
 Tuesday, August 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Programs at least will sort themselves out so that you don't have any more than you need - the first in any Room or Page is free, but subsequent ones will cost 100sp, to cover the extra server load per page.p]

I don't really see how that gets rid of unwanted programs? Or am I jumping the gun?

About paying for subsequent programs (which I think is a good idea) I have a suggestion.
Perhaps the option to move those programs slots you'd paid for around is an idea?
As example, someone writes a program for a room, buys another program for it, but discovers later that a new page (with programs) works better.

(I hope it is clear what I mean, for some reason I'm having problems with my English this morning)

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, September 07 2011 @ 08:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Swede
About paying for subsequent programs (which I think is a good idea) I have a suggestion.
Perhaps the option to move those programs slots you'd paid for around is an idea?
As example, someone writes a program for a room, buys another program for it, but discovers later that a new page (with programs) works better.

(I hope it is clear what I mean, for some reason I'm having problems with my English this morning)

I'd really like to see this: I've screwed around for *checks watch* three hours or so so far and already have decided that I'll want to be able to move around program slots from room to room, even if I did get lucky and end up with a spare program in the room I'll want it in (in the test server). If I'm spending a dollar, cheap bastard that I am, I want to be able to move the sonuvabitch.

(This was the same problem I had with beds, actually. I'm that cheap of a bastard.)

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, September 07 2011 @ 10:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Oh, and on topic: I'd like to see either the option to destroy (or move) pages. Doors I can't see being as much of a problem, but as locked down as they are, building rewrites will inevitably leaves messes of unused pages everywhere.

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, September 07 2011 @ 11:54 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

**sigh** Perhaps I should sleep instead of staying up all night messing with places: After "research", I learned that doors don't move like I thought. Oops!

So yeah. Those and pages: destroyable or movable. Or both. (with destroying returning part of the materials, maybe?)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply