Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Why Kittania over New Pitts?
 |  Printable Version
Sneaky
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Why don't the zombies actually help one another?

We see it happening prominently whenever New Pittsburgh is under attack but it doesn't really go anywhere. It's just a plot device; you stupid monsters can only really invade the ghost town when no one is in it anymore.

Beyond a few bonuses, all the Zombie's got going for it is eating without cooking or butchering. You can't control what you eat (and stay healthy) without remembering what tastes best. The butchering bonus is great for selling the meat later, but that's about it.

It would be great if, while in New Pittsburgh (or any square with sufficient amounts of online Zombie players; not just Outposts for the clever) there were a bonus for fighting as a Zombie. This bonus would be higher while fighting in New Pittsburgh itself, and rise incrementally while it's being raided (until the outpost is breached). Other zombies (or even player names) would show up and deal a small amount of minion (auto) damage each round a particular player's in combat. There could even be random events where a butchering or feasting player could share their meat with a wandering Zombie NPC (for a possible sale quicker than actually traveling, or they'd just lose their meat at worst).

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rob+Anybody

I chose Zombie for my 3rd DK, and I've spent most of my time in New Pitts ever since.
Mostly because of the excellent drinks, decent food (brains brains brains brains and spam are quite ok), and the steady flow of cards from sources nearby. Although that changed a bit in the switch from dwellings to places.
Although it does feel a bit odd to see that when the outpost is really in danger of beeing breached there are only 2 or 3 people there to defend it. Perhaps some incentive for helping an outpost in need could change the "I'm not there so I don't care" mentality

The food isn't decent when you're living on steaks normally. Both the Kittania and Pleasantville steaks give you loads of stamina and lots of nutrition without any fat. All the menu of BRAINS is full of fat (brains are full of cholesterol in real life meals, I think) so while you get the nutrition, you also lose that bonus from your fatness.

We've already done some incentives like the increased requisition payouts in dangerous outposts. It'll take an extreme reward, it seems, to get players to leave what they're normally doing and go help a falling outpost instead.

That's why I think it's more effective to make the city more regularly populated in the first place than try to draw defenders only when the city needs it.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Move the DK requirement for kitty to 4, or beyond. Could increase NP's population?

I'm not quite sure that would be a good thing. The Kittymorphs are especially good at traveling and at not getting failboated. This makes them the best race for people who want to roleplay often without caring about the game aspect, you see...

Well, that's the point. Shooting some of the new players over to NP would be beneficial for the outposts, and, based on sessine's graph, they'd also try out Midget on their third DK, it would help get them acclimated to the gameplay aspect before they stall for RP.

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, that's the point. Shooting some of the new players over to NP would be beneficial for the outposts, and, based on sessine's graph, they'd also try out Midget on their third DK, it would help get them acclimated to the gameplay aspect before they stall for RP.

But you're not seeing my point. This is a game. The players should do what they want, instead of what they SHOULD do. If they don't feel like fighting, some might quit because the game is boring and hard to role-play in. Others might feel unwell. I know people who only have two drive kills and never got any more because Kittymorph is enough for their taste.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Omega's right. People who want to play a Kittymorph cannot be coerced into playing something else.

Lured, yes, that's all right. "Ooh, shiny! New toy!" But it's a big Internet out there, and the Island doesn't have any way to keep people logging in if they're not having fun. There's always something else to do only a mouse-click away.

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

It would be nicer if it felt less like a 'label' and more like 'i'm a zombie, I wreck stuff'. There's no pack mentality, for good or ill. Just a generic bonus. It's a Human that starts with a Spork and gets no Grenades.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 09:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Omega's right. People who want to play a Kittymorph cannot be coerced into playing something else.

Lured, yes, that's all right. "Ooh, shiny! New toy!" But it's a big Internet out there, and the Island doesn't have any way to keep people logging in if they're not having fun. There's always something else to do only a mouse-click away.

Then why have DK limits for races at all? Just let rookies play jokers, if that's what they want to do. God forbid there be any longer-tem goals to work towards that have a reward more than an extra digit in the DK count.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 04:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sessine and Omega, I have to say that Dizzyizzy has a good suggestion and a good point. Don't take "people should do what they want to do" too far--I will tell you flat out that people will get bored and move on. Games have constraints for you to play within. They're there because they help form the direction of your play and you enjoy it as you go through its course.

Seriously, I'm not some crotchety old man who thinks people shouldn't have fun. But the idea that everyone should be able to do whatever they want in a game with no effort--not work, effort--means you have a game that doesn't appeal to people who enjoy a challenge of any sort.

The idea that you can't move the DK requirement for Kittymorph access is very short-sighted. "It's doing great where it is--don't change it!" Yes, you may seen players who DK only once and stay Kittymorph forever. But you know, maybe a high percentage of those people will be fine DKing 3 times and then staying a Kittymorph forever at that point. And maybe others will get to try out Zombie or Midget and say, "Hey, waitaminute, combat is a very fun part of the game too! I'm gonna be doing fast DKs with Midget more often!"

No one is coercing anyone to do anything on the game. Not a single person can be coerced to do anything on a game website. Moving the Kittymorph requirement to 4 DKs in order to rebalance the distribution of population in the game is a legitimate change that a developer can do if he or she thinks a redistribution of population would be better for any variety of reasons, whatever they may be. There is no coercing involved.

Dizzyizzy makes a succinct argument. If moving the DK limit of Kittymorph up to 4 is coercing players to do things they don't like, we might as well throw out the awfully gestapo-worthy twelve! DK requirement for Jokers, especially because of that graph indicating the enormous popularity of Jokers.

If you can't tell, I found the use of the term "coerce" highly improper in characterizing Dizzy's suggestion.

What all of us seem to want, is the same thing: luring people to play in New Pittsburgh more in order to prevent its fall from the Onslaught more. Nerfing Onslaught is not what I want because I enjoy it on the whole. Stopping people from roleplaying is not my end goal. Getting people to participate in combat more is something I support. I want all of this clear because I don't think there should be any big divide between people in this thread.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 05:40 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Sessine and Omega, I have to say that Dizzyizzy has a good suggestion and a good point. Don't take "people should do what they want to do" too far--I will tell you flat out that people will get bored and move on. Games have constraints for you to play within. They're there because they help form the direction of your play and you enjoy it as you go through its course.

Seriously, I'm not some crotchety old man who thinks people shouldn't have fun. But the idea that everyone should be able to do whatever they want in a game with no effort--not work, effort--means you have a game that doesn't appeal to people who enjoy a challenge of any sort.

The idea that you can't move the DK requirement for Kittymorph access is very short-sighted. "It's doing great where it is--don't change it!" Yes, you may seen players who DK only once and stay Kittymorph forever. But you know, maybe a high percentage of those people will be fine DKing 3 times and then staying a Kittymorph forever at that point. And maybe others will get to try out Zombie or Midget and say, "Hey, waitaminute, combat is a very fun part of the game too! I'm gonna be doing fast DKs with Midget more often!"

No one is coercing anyone to do anything on the game. Not a single person can be coerced to do anything on a game website. Moving the Kittymorph requirement to 4 DKs in order to rebalance the distribution of population in the game is a legitimate change that a developer can do if he or she thinks a redistribution of population would be better for any variety of reasons, whatever they may be. There is no coercing involved.

Dizzyizzy makes a succinct argument. If moving the DK limit of Kittymorph up to 4 is coercing players to do things they don't like, we might as well throw out the awfully gestapo-worthy twelve! DK requirement for Jokers, especially because of that graph indicating the enormous popularity of Jokers.

If you can't tell, I found the use of the term "coerce" highly improper in characterizing Dizzy's suggestion.

What all of us seem to want, is the same thing: luring people to play in New Pittsburgh more in order to prevent its fall from the Onslaught more. Nerfing Onslaught is not what I want because I enjoy it on the whole. Stopping people from roleplaying is not my end goal. Getting people to participate in combat more is something I support. I want all of this clear because I don't think there should be any big divide between people in this thread.

Points well made, Fred. I withdraw the word coerce, and apologize.

I'm wondering about how effective the proposed change would be. It wouldn't affect any of the people who have already reached Kittymorph and stopped. Only new people coming in. I suppose we could just shrug off the inevitable, "Hey, how come she gets to be a Kittymorph with only one DK? Why do I have to wait for my fourth DK?"

Another interesting thought experiment: I wonder what would happen if the choices after the first DK were Zombie and Midget?

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 07:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm personally for a raise in the limit on DK's, but it doesn't seem a favorable option, but that's just my opinion.

What I think would work is more quests. Not Dan's quests, those irk a lot of the people I talk to, and I know a few people who've been looking for months for their quest beast. Something special you can only unlock as a zombie, and it's random chance, and might not happen the first time you're a zombie, and offering a shiny medal for it too? People like medals!

I do like zombies, I don't remember the last time I played one though. Must of been months ago, if not a full year. My favorite option, and only reason I'd go back to being one is the MEEEEEAAAAAT. Skye's not a zombie, and I had trouble then writing her as one, and it would be a pain writing her as one again.

I know zombies aren't all that bad, Darling plays a wonderful zombie! And Makiwa (These are just two people I'm listing off the top of my head. It's 4AM, and I know many people who write wonderful zombies). It just seems to me, as I play a majority for the RP, is that Zombies don't have the sex-appeal a bouncy, fluffy, naked kittymorph does.
Think of a bouncy, naked zombie for a minute as they fall apart upon landing... Yup, get that image in there... It doesn't sell very well, does it?

Maybe... MAYBE NewPitts... needs it's own massage parlor.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 09:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

Not Dan's quests, those irk a lot of the people I talk to, and I know a few people who've been looking for months for their quest beast.

They're not jungling then. Or in the wrong outpost. Simple as that.

It just seems to me, as I play a majority for the RP, is that Zombies don't have the sex-appeal a bouncy, fluffy, naked kittymorph does. Think of a bouncy, naked zombie for a minute as they fall apart upon landing... Yup, get that image in there... It doesn't sell very well, does it?

I'm sorry, what? A creature that licks its own arse to get clean isn't very sexually appealing to me, but maybe that's because I'm the weirdo. Me, I'd go for something more humanoid. Even if it's dead. Something like a zombie that can detach its limbs? Hawt. Or how about a tentacle mutant? They sell very well, don't they? BRB, making an alt to stalk the bordello.

Anyway. *rubs hands clean on a dirty towel* Where was I?

How about a re-balancing of the races? If Joker, Midget and Kittymorph are the most prevalent choices, perhaps they need a shuffle. Robots could use an upgrade. Zombies too, I suppose. Kittymorphs are pretty overpowered. I'd be very very happy to see the Watcher-endorsed Nudity bonus go. (Seriously. Enough with the glomping already. It isn't cute.)

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Another interesting thought experiment: I wonder what would happen if the choices after the first DK were Zombie and Midget?

We'd probably see a whole lot more humans. Either descriptor (Zombie, Midget) isn't exactly flattering. Kittymorph is an appealing race even with the fluffy lore of it besides; a hefty travel bonus is appealing even to people who only RP, and the Claws bonus is good for batting away those pesky monsters that they're most definitely not here for. I agree that the races need a serious re-examining; maybe not new ones or less options, I think the ones that are already here are a fairly good variety, but if you're not one of the Big Three (Joker, Kittymorph, Midget) you're pretty much intentionally hindering yourself.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

Move the DK requirement for kitty to 4, or beyond. Could increase NP's population?

I'm not quite sure that would be a good thing. The Kittymorphs are especially good at traveling and at not getting failboated. This makes them the best race for people who want to roleplay often without caring about the game aspect, you see...

Not convinced by that. I think that most role players game play kittymorphs because they want to role play kittymorphs. It feels better when you can fit in like that. I like midgets, and my midget RP characters are all midget GP characters.

Incidently, I rarely have any trouble getting to where I want to go because of it either.

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Monday, September 19 2011 @ 02:49 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Maniak

I'm sorry, what? A creature that licks its own arse to get clean isn't very sexually appealing to me, but maybe that's because I'm the weirdo.

http://rentmovie.com/movie-posters/cat-girl-nuku-nuku-5.jpg This. I don't find it appealing either, but it's what people are thinking about and that's even a clean image.

Despite you being an asshat there, I do agree with the re-balancing of the races; but that would be season 3 talk, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Monday, September 19 2011 @ 04:29 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm sorry, what? A creature that licks its own arse to get clean isn't very sexually appealing to me, but maybe that's because I'm the weirdo.

http://rentmovie.com/movie-posters/cat-girl-nuku-nuku-5.jpg This. I don't find it appealing either, but it's what people are thinking about and that's even a clean image.

Would have thought you'd go for someone more traditional/famous/fetishfueling

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Figure, that or some variation of that, is driving at least 20% of all Kittymorphs.

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Monday, September 19 2011 @ 05:44 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Adder+Moray

Would have thought you'd go for someone more traditional/famous/fetishfueling

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Figure, that or some variation of that, is driving at least 20% of all Kittymorphs.

I was going for a less sultry image... But then we are all adults here: http://tomatodragon.deviantart.com/art/Golden-Anthro-Kitty-68209740

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 05:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To be fair, not everyone who picks KittyMorphs picks them because of the implied (or rather, pretty much thrust at us) sexuality of the race.

Dave, for instance, is a KittyMorph because he's...well...a cartoon. In the classic Warner Brothers Looney Toons sense. And that's really the race that I feel exemplifies that the most. Although he's a Joker at all times, because IMO, Joker is a State of Mind (at least, once you've been around long enough). I wish I could see statistics of what DKs I've done, at what ranks, as what race...you'd probably find maybe 3 or 4 zombie runs, I think 1 or 2 mutant, a bunch of Midget, 4 or 5 human, and the rest split between Kitty and Joker. It's really more the cat's curiosity and the Joker's Mischievous nature that draws me (him? us?) to those races. I guess he could be called a "Jokermorph" as that's the classic definition, but I prefer to call him a KittyMorph that just happens to be a Joker.

And yes, he runs around naked, but that's more a convenience thing, and the only contestant worried about his Nudity (as far as he, or I, for that matter, is/are aware of) is Ari, whom he's happily married to.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC!

I don't know that there's really a way to draw people to New Pitts...it kind of feels like it, like CC404, should, to some extent, be a ghost town. I think the right fix would be to have Onslaught ignore unpopulated towns more, and have Kitt and PV be in danger more.

As far as Sessine's "wandering food cart" idea...
"1000 req for a Sausage-inna-bun. And that's Cuttin' Me Own Throat..."

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Rob Anybody
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 06:36 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

"1000 req for a Sausage-inna-bun. And that's Cuttin' Me Own Throat..."[/p]

I'd rather have something less 'organic' and somewhat healthier than CMOT Dibbler's 'sausage inna bun'..
It would be interesting if Zombies actually got a bonus from eating loads of brains, instead of just going fat. Also adding something that is special for the town itself might help. I mean, CC has the factory, Squat has the massage parlour, etc.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rob+Anybody

"1000 req for a Sausage-inna-bun. And that's Cuttin' Me Own Throat..."

I'd rather have something less 'organic' and somewhat healthier than CMOT Dibbler's 'sausage inna bun'..
It would be interesting if Zombies actually got a bonus from eating loads of brains, instead of just going fat. Also adding something that is special for the town itself might help. I mean, CC has the factory, Squat has the massage parlour, etc.

Well the idea for the CMOT Dibbler as the wandering cart vendor would be less "healthy" food and more along the lines of "Damnit, that wasn't what I wanted at all! Now I'm pissed!" and get a bonus to attack for a while...so food that acts sort of between restaurant food and pub drinks...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Temper
 Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 09:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

So yes, coming to respond to things a bit late.
I am wildly against changing the DK requirements. For anything. There's a point, I think, to Jokers needing so much time to reach. Because they're so cool and powerful. For me, I see the 12 DKs as a chance for new players to mess around as races, and maybe see some of the veterans, and how they play, before "Oh my god, sudden power, I am the powerrrr." and whatnot. Okay, okay, I know, some people (like me, sadly) need a bit more... bashing about the head before we learn to play nice. But it's there as a chance to learn, I think, and I like it that way. As far as making the kittymorph harder to get to... I don't know that it would change much. I mean, yes, try out other characters, but everyone's going to tromp on over to PV and Kit just like they normally do. It's a habit, and the food rather needs to be fixed.

As far as interesting people in playing the other races, I really like the idea of race-specific quests. At least it would be an incentive for people to try being the zombies and the mutants and the robots. Myself, I don't understand why there aren't more mutants, because you basically get free hand in being what you want (mutants are my favorite NPCs to run into, just for that reason).

As far as tweaking the races go, maybe make kittymorphs able to eat a bit less, and make zombies run through being fat that much quicker? Also, a robot-exclusive place to power up their energy(read as: stamina) to an extent at CC would be nice. Might help get rid of my instinctive knee-jerk reaction to being one. They're fun to RP... But man, they're not so great at fighting unless you master the overclocking. Which I've never been able to do, because I'm lazy and there are easier options out there. And didn't we get rid of Gobots because they were just too awful? As a Season 3 change... Maybe move Kittania a little further away from NewHome? Switch it with NP, even. Weirder things have happened on the Island. Well, there's my two cents (strictly in monopoly money, of course.)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply