Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Why Kittania over New Pitts?
 |  Printable Version
thryn
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 07:19 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've not changed Zai from Human yet -- I might do it this DK, but wanted to hold off until I thought I'd be comfortable playing her as something else -- but from this thread, I'm getting the impression that the stam/fat effects of the various foods are the same regardless of what race one is playing. If that's true, tweaking that might entice more zombies to stay in NP, etc. For my part, I loooooove the drinks in NP, but I usually go there, drink up, and leave, unless I'm Danquesting.

Profile Email
wvf
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 08:15 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I think the big draw to Kittania is that it's /nice/ there. Mutant, Midget, and Zombie are all rather negative races to play. Human and Robot are neutral, and only the Joker and the Kittymorph are positive. Between Jokers and Kittymorphs, I'd say Kitties are the funner race. They lounge around all day talking with their friends and being relaxed. They don't have worries or cares. What could be better? This is reflected in Kittania's description and surrounding player-written buildings. They're almost universally nice, clean, welcoming places. It's just the culture of the city.

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Then why have DK limits for races at all? Just let rookies play jokers, if that's what they want to do. God forbid there be any longer-tem goals to work towards that have a reward more than an extra digit in the DK count.

In contrast to Kittymorphs, Jokers are a bit edgier. They're more threatening; they are a bit more aloof. (Hell, what isn't a bit more aloof than a Kittymorph? Rolling Eyes ) Jokers are powerful, mysterious, and they're a bit stranger. However, it's crucial to the Joker image that it's kind of hard to get to them. By allowing only experienced players at them, they are just much more classy as a race. They don't make noob mistakes. They're on top of it. It's part of the Joker to be kind of world-savvy. Cool In a game, it's OK to have things that are harder to get. Jokers are not impossible - it's only a few drive kills - but they are enough to be rarer.

There is also, playing in Kittania, a bit of a safe haven feeling. The world, with it's monsters and mutants and midgets, is largely at bay in Kittania. Ideally, when playing a rather escapist game, one escapes to a _nicer_ reality. Kittania is, simply put, the safest, warmest, fuzziest place on the island, and it's nice to spend time there.

I support the two-dk-for-kittymorph, since... hell, I think it's a great stay for Improbable Island. Moving it up would feel... wrong, I think. Improbable Island is, overall, a rather dark game when I think about it. Kittania is the light spot of relief in it, and I think it's nice to show people that early on. Not everyone wants to play a mutated horror. Some people are just too sunny. Big Grin

There is something I was avoiding, but Adder+Moray says it very nicely.
Quote by: Adder+Moray

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

Quote by: Maniak

I'm sorry, what? A creature that licks its own arse to get clean isn't very sexually appealing to me, but maybe that's because I'm the weirdo.

http://rentmovie.com/movie-posters/cat-girl-nuku-nuku-5.jpg This. I don't find it appealing either, but it's what people are thinking about and that's even a clean image.

Would have thought you'd go for someone more traditional/famous/fetishfueling

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Figure, that or some variation of that, is driving at least 20% of all Kittymorphs.

Of course, I'd say closer to 70% at least have LadyRavenSkye image's in the back of their mind. Wink I don't think you can be a kittymorph and not be influenced by the trope.

P.S.
Quote by: tehdave

"1000 req for a Sausage-inna-bun. And that's Cuttin' Me Own Throat..."

You're now officially marked down as 'great' in my books. Congrats. Razz

Profile Email
spandex
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 10:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Would it work to have the critical things distributed around the outposts, and only available in each? Sheila's, food, eboys, building supplies, etc?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 10:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: wvf

Quote by: Adder+Moray

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

url=http://rentmovie.com/movie-posters/cat-girl-nuku-nuku-5.jpg]http://rentmovie.com/movie-posters/cat-girl-nuku-nuku-5.jpg[/url] This. I don't find it appealing either, but it's what people are thinking about and that's even a clean image.

Would have thought you'd go for someone more traditional/famous/fetishfueling

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Figure, that or some variation of that, is driving at least 20% of all Kittymorphs.

Of course, I'd say closer to 70% at least have LadyRavenSkye image's in the back of their mind. Wink I don't think you can be a kittymorph and not be influenced by the trope.

If you're inspired by cats, then there's lots of cliches that you can pick on. What about the nose-in-the-air cat that disdainfully allows their staff* to feed them, as a display of divine grace and favour? Does anybody remember 'Old fat smelly tom-cat Bernard'? But people mostly want the cutesy cutesy kitten.

*Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 12:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

However, it's crucial to the Joker image that it's kind of hard to get to them. By allowing only experienced players at them, they are just much more classy as a race. They don't make noob mistakes. They're on top of it. It's part of the Joker to be kind of world-savvy. Cool In a game, it's OK to have things that are harder to get. Jokers are not impossible - it's only a few drive kills - but they are enough to be rarer.

Except they kind of aren't rare at all. Jokers being everywhere seem a bit contrary to the entire point of the race, or at least so it seems to me. I don't know, in my opinion maybe twelve DKs just isn't enough time/experience to have an excuse to write world bending powah, but then again, if I had my way, Joker would only unlock after a good thirty or forty DKs.

This is kind of besides the point; you're right about a lot of the races having a more negative image and the outpost suffering as a result. I am confident that CC404 and NP being constantly under attack is because Robot and Zombie are terrible races and nobody who cares at all about actual gameplay should touch them. Ace High kind of mystifies me as to why it's under attack so often, what with everyone and their uncle being a Joker anymore - it even has Cake or Death! - and maybe Squat Hole has somthing to do with it being on a swamp square with no easy train access. It's pretty obvious why Pleasantville would stay safe, and I don't think enough people use the drinks in NP to really give it the same appeal, even if they're awesome.

Quote by: spandex

Would it work to have the critical things distributed around the outposts, and only available in each? Sheila's, food, eboys, building supplies, etc?

No offense but that doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

Profile Email
Chamomile
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 05:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Speaking as someone who doesn't yet have any DKs and really wants to be a Joker, I wholeheartedly agree that they should be bumped upwards in terms of DK requirement. Jokers are completely contaminated by Improbability, and that's not something that should happen within about six in-game months.

More on-topic, the food should be balanced. Certain locations should not be obviously better than others in terms of how much you're allowed to play per day (with the possible exception of NewHome, since it's the newb city), because even if the NP drinks come out to more req per day or even more XP per day, that doesn't really compare to more playtime per day.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

If you're inspired by cats, then there's lots of cliches that you can pick on. What about the nose-in-the-air cat that disdainfully allows their staff* to feed them, as a display of divine grace and favour? Does anybody remember 'Old fat smelly tom-cat Bernard'? But people mostly want the cutesy cutesy kitten.

*Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

I remember Tom-cat Bernard. One of his more disgustingly hilarious incarnations.

As far as Dave goes...I take more a cartoon inspiration (Have I Mentioned Lately that Dave is a Cartoon?) and the more energetic/curious tendency of cats to run around and do incredibly silly things like miss a jump, land in a bit of a heap, then shake themselves off and look around with a "I meant to do that" kind of look about them. Or inspect and antagonize things for the fun of it.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Grey
 Thursday, October 06 2011 @ 01:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I support the two-dk-for-kittymorph, since... hell, I think it's a great stay for Improbable Island. Moving it up would feel... wrong, I think. Improbable Island is, overall, a rather dark game when I think about it. Kittania is the light spot of relief in it, and I think it's nice to show people that early on. Not everyone wants to play a mutated horror. Some people are just too sunny. Big Grin

I have to agree, I tend to find I don't have the correct mentality to play races such as the Joker, I try to, but I can never get my head into it, I also have to add the point of the look of the outposts, Pleasantville, New Pitts and Squat Hole all in my mind are greatly unappealing like their races, PV is described as having no reflective surfaces and boarded up windows, SH is just a S**T (he apologises for the swearing but this is the most accurate description) hole due to the midgets's treatment of it, and the NP give the impression that everything is decaying and rotting, this is why I do not spend much time there

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, October 07 2011 @ 02:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Grey

I have to agree, I tend to find I don't have the correct mentality to play races such as the Joker, I try to, but I can never get my head into it, I also have to add the point of the look of the outposts, Pleasantville, New Pitts and Squat Hole all in my mind are greatly unappealing like their races, PV is described as having no reflective surfaces and boarded up windows, SH is just a S**T (he apologises for the swearing but this is the most accurate description) hole due to the midgets's treatment of it, and the NP give the impression that everything is decaying and rotting, this is why I do not spend much time there

Some of the monsters (particularly ones I've written <.< ) make gratuitous use of the words "shit" and "fuck", so don't worry about profanity on these forums; we're all (well, kinda...) mature adults here.

Before this topic, I actually never considered the idea that Kittymorphs and Kittania are appealing because they're not shit-covered. You're right that Zombies are grisly, Midgets are gross, and Mutants are grotesque, Jokers are intimidating, and Humans and Robots are neutral. I mean, I've said before that the entire attraction I have to Zombies is specifically that ghoulish gruesomeness, but I get that people like playing something 'nice' more than that.

I don't exactly know how set-in-stone race options will always be in Improbable Island, so I don't exactly know whether it's really open for propositions of new races to further spread out the 'pretty race' fans. Maybe we should get some magic-addicted elves as a race... Wink

Profile Email
Grey
 Friday, October 07 2011 @ 02:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Maybe we should get some magic-addicted elves as a race...

Oh god no!
*runs for the hills at the mention of magic elves and cowers*
Thy'll all want to frolic and force us to listen to Cher's greatest hits
*Yeah he's lost it*

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, October 07 2011 @ 03:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh god no!
*Yeah he's lost it*

How in the hell did you manage to credit that quote to Maniak?

Anyway, as to the elves, maybe we'll et the Dancers CMJ's mentioned someday.

Profile Email
Grey
 Friday, October 07 2011 @ 03:08 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Oh god no!
*Yeah he's lost it*

How in the hell did you manage to credit that quote to Maniak?

Anyway, as to the elves, maybe we'll et the Dancers CMJ's mentioned someday.

*blinks* I have no idea. I blame it on it being four thirty am here, as for the dancers... Well they'll be fun to see, I just have a fear of actual elves, too much D&D.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, October 07 2011 @ 05:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On these forums, I think the number one person I'd be confused for would be Maniak, so it makes sense. Number two comparison would be a Robert Downey Jr / Hugh Laurie hybrid. Mmmmmm, god I love mirrors.

(Warning: this post is completely full of bullshit.)

Profile Email
tehdave
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 05:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Maybe we should get some magic-addicted elves as a race... Wink

Just keep them away from ancient beings of power... You don't want them doing something stupid like trying to summon a great evil onto the Island...

OT: I think the idea that Midgets, Mutants, and Zombies are all...well...the icky races are up to a bit of interpretation, really. It's up to the player to determine exactly how mutated or zombified they are, and I've seen a few people play rather cleaned-up midgets.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 06:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't think there's ever going to be a way to even out the population across outposts. This isn't natural anyway. Folks will always hang out where they want to irrespective of race, stam boosting food/drinks etc. It's just the way it is and I don't see it as a problem.

I do think some balancing of breaches would be appropriate. Maybe the usual four threatened outposts should have stronger walls than the more popular outposts. Maybe relate that to the number of posts in story/banter, encouraging more RP in the oft breached towns. Dunno, if that's doable or even makes sense.

If you want to see Kitts raised and the 100m walls devastated have a once in a while motherfather of a Titan than cannot be destroyed until after it's wiped out an outpost. Eek!

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Feynt
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 04:39 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hey, first post.

So I was thinking about this quite a bit the past few days, and I think the biggest drawback of the food system is that food is treated the same for everything that eats. But zombies aren't "living" so maybe they don't metabolize food anymore. Maybe all they want is brains, and so fat has no effect on them. Meanwhile kittymorphs may not be able to digest plants well (felines, being carnivores, don't digest vegetable material well. Part of the reason cats eat grass, to pass other non-digestible material like hair out of their systems). But the point is foods shouldn't affect all races equally.

The second thing, why are monsters drawn to out of the way, mostly unpopulated cities? They're likely hungry, so why aren't they going where all the food is, where the largest groupings of people are? It makes sense for Kitt and NH to take the brunt of the outpost raids while the others have less activity.

Profile Email
Rob Anybody
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 05:52 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: tehdave [..] I've seen a few people play rather cleaned-up midgets.

Ach, 'ow kind of ye fer noticin' me effort! and gobs hard in a corner

Feynt has a point here.. when I was playing as a zombie, I wondered why eating brains did not give any beneficial effects, although zombies are known not to be able to go without brains for a long time (it makes them really cranky)
Same goes for 'pain'; according to the description, zombies do not feel any pain, but if you get a tattoo as a zombie it still takes a few days of 'pain' to heal.

Profile Email
Feynt
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 06:20 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Some zombies are known to crave the flesh of the living (or recently deceased) and not specifically brains, but that still brings up the point of why would something they crave, and in some cases need to survive, make them fat? If anything I'd say the state of being hungry (for a zombie) should occur more often and inflict a "craves braaaain" state (maybe a minor reduction in health for being hungry, but increased attack?) while being well fed confers bonuses (more defense perhaps and less stamina use per action).

It seems like the most used races all have some factor to them that makes them different enough from the norm (humans). Besides being able to eat meat without cooking it, what bonus does a zombie really get? I mean, these are supposed to be the tireless hordes of undeath, ceaselessly craving the flesh of the living and not stopping unless (depending on the laws of that particular universe) they're completely destroyed or their brain is damaged. These zombies don't make me think of those zombies I knew growing up.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 07:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Feynt

why would something they crave, and in some cases need to survive, make them fat?

Profile Email
Feynt
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 08:28 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Feynt

why would something they crave, and in some cases need to survive, make them fat?

Yes but they're dead. Why would consuming anything make them fat? Or from another angle, why would anything they eat not make them fat (ah, the mysteries of zombie digestion)? It just seems silly to me that zombies get penalized for eating the thing they want most to survive.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply