Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Small tweaks to Place-building interfaces
 |  Printable Version
Buddleia
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 03:07 PM UTC (Read 3135 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm going to list a few things - that I hope should be small fixes - that would make builders' lives easier.

Other Place-builders, please comment and add related requests to this thread!

Master settings page

• Toggle Rooms, Pages and Doors sections open and closed, like the [?] for showing a room's description.
  • OR - have separate pages for controlling each.
  • Have radio buttons and a Make All Changes button for setting e.g. a whole set of chats and Who's Nearby functions etc at once (rather than doing one thing to one room, page reloads, scroll back to where you were, do another thing, page reloads, etc).
  • Chose a default pattern that all new rooms are set to.
  • Be able to lock and unlock doors from here.

Program menu
  • Be able to use items straight from building inventory, rather than you having to go to inventory, take what you think you'll need, then back, and then into programs again.
  • Pages to list which rooms they are attached to.
  • Program naming to be more obviously a [click-here-and-type] box and a [click-here-to-set] button (it took me several attempts to realise that Oops! )

Building inventory
  • Sort items (by type? Alphabetically? By number? Into separate tables? Custom sort?)
  • Separate (new table on same page) list of furniture in sleep slots to ones loose in inventory.

Create Build Job menu
  • Decorate Room - add [?]s to toggle room descriptions in list of rooms.
  • Decorate Page - ditto

Current Build Jobs menu
  • Doors to say which rooms they're linking

That's my list for today. I'll probably have even more suggestions tomorrow.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 04:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

All things which would make things easier.
If not too much work I'd like to see those improvements too.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 11:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes. These would all be very good.

Also rooms undergoing decoration to get their new title immediately. I build rooms and set up deco jobs, and then do a few at once. I'm often unsure just what room I've just finished decorating.

Beds in inventory, say what room they're in.

I'll make a note as I come across others.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, October 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Would it be possible to make it such that when you put C&C's into a Place's inventory, their preferences get reset? At the moment, they list as seperate items when I've been experimenting with them, and you're never quite sure how many of what ever it is that you've got.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, October 25 2011 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Master Settings:

1. If radio buttons for setting lots of things at once are not practical ... how about having the page automatically scroll back to where you were when you last changed/saved a setting? That would save me, and many others with large buildings, a huge amount of ctrl-Fing and scrolling.

2. Doors are listed by the room ID of the lower-room-ID. It's great that they are organised like that, but is it possible to double-sort them? So they are listed first by room 1's ID and then by room 2's ID, rather than just 1 and then random?

(For example, my tower's third floor's doors link to 21 rooms that have sequential room IDs, and the doors were set and made sequentially, but in the settings page, the doors go 13, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 14, 0, 15, 17, 12, 5, 1, 4, 3, 2. And it's not that they're sorting by door ID - they are pretty randomised, with 3680, 3582, 3581, 3580, 3579, 3578, 3682, 3733, 3681, 3725, 3679, 3726, 3678, 3724, 3727, 3728, 3577, 2452, 2333, 2237, 2335, 2334. Lolwut.)

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 01:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bumping this thread with another request.

Building Inventory screen: furniture in slots to have some way of showing whether or not it's occupied.

Re petition 108: since once furniture is in a sleep slot, it is listed individually anyway (rather than, as, say "Single Bed: you have 2 of these"), perhaps a note like "currently occupied by: playername" with a link to the Kick Players screen? Or perhaps a confirmation screen "this bed is currently occupied by playername; moving it will kick them out. Continue yes/no?" or similar.

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Monday, November 21 2011 @ 01:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was looking back at the old threads, and I've remembered another few thing that we used to have and that would be very handy to have back.

1. Some way of simply and clearly listing all doors (not the Master Settings page, that's already far too cluttered) and whether they are locked or open, and ideally whether they are shown, hidden, or by a Program - and of simply one-click changing them. In Dwellings, we had the Open and Locked page. Now, you can't find out unless you go all the way through the rabbit warren checking everything very carefully.

2. A "Back to the dwelling entrance" link. Because sometimes you want to backtrack quickly or get yourself un-lost, but often you don't want to leave by hitting Back To Map because that would trigger a Newday, which can be inconvenient for various reasons.

Also, a new-for-Places non-Dwelling suggestion:

3. Reordering pages. Is there some way we could change the order that the nav links to Pages appear in? Right now, they show in the order that they were constructed in, and if you suddenly realise that you want to change it, you'd have to redecorate them (or hide them and make/decorate new ones).

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Sunday, December 04 2011 @ 05:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another related pair of requests, often seen from builders and people sharing logs/stone:

1. Keep building materials at the top of the inventory list for easy access. (Building inventory and player's inventory.)

2. Have an input box for selecting how many of an item to take (and pick up from the map, and set down from your inventory, if possible!), rather than scroll - click - [page reloads] - scroll - click - [page reloads] - repeat ad nauseam. Or, at least, add x5 and x10 links - maybe x50 and x100 as well.

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Sunday, December 04 2011 @ 01:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Instead of keeping building materials at the top of the inventory list, wouldn't it be better if we could sort our places-inventory, like we can with our backpack?

Alphabetical, Amount or perhaps by Type/Category. I'm leaving Recently Acquired out of that, because the most recent items will be at the bottom, which is completely backwards.

EDIT: In fact, that's what you suggested in the post you started this thread with, and I think that would be a whole lot easier.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Sonny
 Sunday, January 15 2012 @ 12:01 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

So, after rebuilding two dwellings, and lots of cursing, I thought it's time to bump this thread.

While the new places stuff is really great and many things are easier now (thanks for that), there are still things that are less than optimal and might not seem high priority, or important, or a problem for a programmer at all, but are somewhat annoying, or just confusing, etc., and still improvable. You might not see them, but for someone playing and building big places, they might become visible and even lessen the joy of playing.

Many important points were mentioned and I would like to repeat some I noticed often (in no particular order):

1. No back to dwelling entrance link! Countless times I wished to just go back to the entrance, not the map, not the rooms before, just back to the entrance. For various reasons already mentioned. Please! Can we have it back? Pretty please?

2. The Master settings page is veeeery ... annoying... At least with more than 10 rooms or so, all the scrolling around just sucks. And there's a list for comments, then pages, then hiding doors... And it's jumping back to the top everytime you change something! Aaaaah!
... So, uhm, yeah. How about a simple page with boxes to check and a "save changes" button? And all options and stuff available for a room in one line? At least making it better visually accessible and less scrolling? Jumping back to the line you have been?
3. Including locks? Yes, still need to go to a room to lock it, I think.
It's a text based game after all and this would be one instance where a simple wall of text/list/with radio buttons/boxes/whatever with all the toggle options and stuff in one, neat place would be much much cleaner and less frustrating, IMO.

4. Oh and an option to simply delete doors, not just hide them. You can build it, you can destroy it, right?
Some decisions just don't seem logical or practical to me, sorry.

5. Sort of messy menus. Click here for building, and there for master settings, and then you have to return to the room because back to the map would trigger a new day, and now where was this room I wanted a door to, and where was this other thing, and hrmpf, what was it I wanted to do right now?

I miss the old, instant connection the rooms had. It was simpler. Go to room, add room, done. Granted, decorating again required to walk all the way and sent you back to the entrance afterwards, but building was more straight-forward. Now one has to navigate through lots of menus, more menus to put in chat and other options, and should you wish to lock it, you still have to walk there, while there are all these menus on the left side, cluttering things up.
(At least I couldn't find the option to do it elsewhere. Sorry if it's there somewhere.)

Other stuff that came up:

6. A place to test memories and other complicated things would be nice. Like the test server. Do memories work there yet? Is it up to date?
Probably programming just isn't my thing.

7. The Con...thing that checks for a clan has the clans listed, no, not alphabetically, but for the number of members? Don't know, but I'm sure an alphabetic list would be appreciated.

8. How about accessing a program also shows you all available C&C in the inventories? Would also make things easier.

9. Cheap sleeping spots? Floor spaces were cool.
Or a way to log out without leaving the building or timing out when no sleeping spots are available.

Well, and of course a bump for all the other stuff that was mentioned by Buddleia. Thanks for collecting all the small and big issues!

Also thanks to CMJ for the game and the new system!

tl,dnr: stuff that could still be improved.

Well, sorry for the long post.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Sunday, January 15 2012 @ 01:23 AM UTC  

I keep meaning to weigh in on this, and keep not doing it. So I'll do it now, while I'm still looking at the page!

Some of my own thoughts:

Ability to deposit Mementos into a place's inventory without setting up a program to take them.

Ability to destroy anything you've already built, with or without any kind of refund. Delete pages, delete rooms, delete doors, delete Programs (though refunds for deleting programs would be nice).

An indication of some kind when a door is locked. Color the link, bold the link, add "(locked)" to the link... A quick and simple visual cue that this door is locked would be so nice.

Ability to toggle Keybearer privileges when viewing a Place. Or rather, a "View as Guest" option, which hides Keybearer links, prevents you from using locked doors, hides deleted comments and delete/restore links. This would be so much simpler and better than having to use an alt or ask a friend to doublecheck how everything looks, which is something I do every time I build something. It's something I could even use while just roleplaying in one of my places.

Ideas of Buddleia's that I wholeheartedly agree with:

Toggle Master Settings sections open or closed
Radio buttons for Master Settings to change multiple things at once

C&Cs usable from from building inventory
Item sorting options for building inventory
Separate inventory section for Furniture In Slots

Page displaying all doors with lock/unlock options
Reordering pages

x5, x10, x50 options for depositing/taking any items from building inventory

And of Hairy Mary's as well:

Room and page titles change immediately

Count Sessine
 Sunday, January 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Sonny

1. No back to dwelling entrance link! Countless times I wished to just go back to the entrance, not the map, not the rooms before, just back to the entrance. For various reasons already mentioned. Please! Can we have it back? Pretty please?

2. The Master settings page is veeeery ... annoying... At least with more than 10 rooms or so, all the scrolling around just sucks. And there's a list for comments, then pages, then hiding doors... And it's jumping back to the top everytime you change something! Aaaaah!

1. Back to the Entrance for owners... mn, fine. But please, not for anyone without builder privileges. There are Places now that depend on the link not being there!

2. If it could just not jump back to the top, that would solve the problem, I think. The trouble is that you have to keep on scrolling down again, over and over, for every single change you make, to relocate the place where you were. With a place of any size at all, this quickly becomes a huge pain.

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Sunday, January 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yes! I subscribe. Especially with (I've selected those I deem most useful/needed from Buddleia's list. I think the other things mentioned here, in all of the thread would be nifty, but these in particular):

Quote by: Buddleia

Master settings page

• Toggle Rooms, Pages and Doors sections open and closed, like the [?] for showing a room's description.
  • OR - have separate pages for controlling each.
  • Have radio buttons and a Make All Changes button for setting e.g. a whole set of chats and Who's Nearby functions etc at once (rather than doing one thing to one room, page reloads, scroll back to where you were, do another thing, page reloads, etc).

Program menu
  • Pages to list which rooms they are attached to.

Building inventory
  • Sort items (by type? Alphabetically? By number? Into separate tables? Custom sort?)

Create Build Job menu
  • Decorate Room - add [?]s to toggle room descriptions in list of rooms.[/b] <----------------- This! Yes! HM's idea would also work, instantly renaming the link when you submit it.
  • Decorate Page - ditto

Current Build Jobs menu
  • Doors to say which rooms they're linking

Also mucho useful would be (as mentioned by Sonny and Escemfer):

-the ability to delete/destroy something you've build, not just hide. Because even if you hide it from the visitor's POV, you, as the owner/keybearer, still get to deal with it forever and ever while you work with the inner mechanics for the place. And that, for large places is.. urgh.
-"view as guest" option
-reordering pages on the same principle as doors

I'd also add (maybe Imissed something?), it would be nice to be able to change the "Explore Area" link for Pages, same as we can do for doors. Reeally nice.

I might have missed some stuff, I've taken up building places rather recently, haven't toyed much with programs, yet, for instance.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, January 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To those that want a "back to the front room" link, here's a tip.

Have one room which is the "Master Control Room" which casual visitors will never see. In certain key rooms (the front room for example) have a little program that warps you there when you use the right password. Also have one way doors leading from the Control Room back to all those key rooms.

This makes navigating large places when building and setting up jobs etc. much easier.

Make the password short, two or three characters, as you'll use it a lot, and having to type in "take me to my secret lair now" will quickly become a pain in the arse.

I did this, and I'm very glad that I did. It has made life so much easier. You can add new doors as and when needed. Obviously.

Now you've got this, there are other things that you can do with it.

You can decorate it with useful notes, like what all the different slots in your memories are being used for for example, instead of having endless bits of paper floating around. ("I had it written down here somewhere, I'm sure." Then you find an old, out of date list, and everything goes pear-shaped.)

I also have a page off of here that resets all my memories to zero so that I can go through the Place and see what it looks like to somebody newly arrived.

These last two are bonuses, quite useful. But having a central room that connects to various parts - now I've got it, it's a necessity.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 03:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I really really love the new Master Settings page. It is so much easier now to do what you want to do without spending ages scrolling and/or Ctrl-F'ing - reducing player frustration and server pageloads. The first post in this thread is no longer relevant - thank you so much for listening!

However, having one part of the owner interface so much improved rather emphasises the relative lack of polish on the others. Any chance that the Set Build Job > Decorate Room and Decorate Page screens could have similar makeovers? That should even be simpler for you to do, I hope - it'd only need the automatic hiding of descriptions with the click-to-expand and click-to-rehide, not the toggles and so many input boxes. As these menus are now, there is a huge amount of scrolling to find the correct room/page to decorate.

Also, is there any chance of the Building Inventory page having a redesign?

At the moment, it works basically like a backpack or card case. While this is quite a good model for our characters, it is a rather unhelpful one for Places. I do appreciate the graphics, but they actually distract me from looking for the information or item, and make the menu far far longer than it needs to be, and presumably add to server load.

My suggestions:

• Split the table into sections: Materials, Furniture, Contrivances/Contraptions and Memories, and Mementos/Things. Have jump-to-section links at each section.

• Give these sections the same sort of auto-hide as the Master Settings, so if you just want to check whether you have enough logs to build the right number of Pages, you don't have to ctrl-F or scroll past your dozens of Contraptions/beds/etc.

• Separate lists for furniture in slots and loose in inventory.

• For moving furniture currently in a slot, have some alert for when there is someone sleeping in it - perhaps a confirm screen of "PlayerX is currently asleep in this bed. Moving it will turf them out. Continue Y/N?" (The navlinks could be funny: "Yes, boot the lazy sod out of bed, I want to move it" and "Nah, let them sleep.")

• Sort the Contrivances/Contraptions in some more obvious way, e.g. alphabetically, or by number in storage.

• Allow Contrivances/Contraptions to be used directly from the Programming menu, not having to go to the Inventory to find and take the ones you want and then go back to the Programming menu and then find the Program you want.

(Come to think of it, on an unrelated subject, any chance of having player inventories with collapsible sections?)

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 05:02 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Not that unrelated of a subject, Buddleia. Long has it been on my to-do list to give Inventories and Place Inventories a proper makeover, and the code is similar enough that I really should just write a function to show a set of items in a pretty way, with various links. It's on the cards.

Profile Email Website
Ilovemath224
 Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 11:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

While ordering doors was a nice addition to master settings... ordering pages would be helpful too. For example:

Currently, in my list of pages for the Warehouse in Mobile Base Alpha, it goes:
Robot I
Robot II
Robot IV
Robot V
Robot VI
Robot VII
Robot III
Robot +

Naturally, it would make more sense for me to be able to get robot III between robot II and robot IV. And before you ask why I didn't do it that way to start with, I had little clue how to write the page for robot III until recently, which is why it's at the bottom of the list. That, and I don't want to redecorate those pages just to get them in the right order.

Considering the code for reordering doors exists, I don't see why this can't be implemented either.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Monday, March 26 2012 @ 11:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OOOH!

I just was wishing for this yesterday.

Page ordering! yes please!

Big Grin

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply