Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Enquirer requests.
 |  Printable Version
Beeps
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 01:54 PM UTC (Read 2921 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Two requests here:
1. Lock or rename the Legacy forums. The "Everything that isn't a bug report should go somewhere in this forum..." title has obviously led some people astray in the past months, and will likely continue to do so.

2. Update the Wiki stylesheet so that footnote hover-overs have a background color and the text actually fits in the box.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 03:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Seconded.

(I can be concise if I have to! Except now this is no longer a concise post. Oops.)

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I concur.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Me also. Being able to read the footnotes by hovering over the whatsits would be nice.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have no opinion on the first one, but I do love me some readable footnotes! Fiftiethed! Fivthed? Fifthed? N+1'd, anyhow.

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, December 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Monday, December 19 2011 @ 10:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Additionally, I'd like to switch to IPB, for improved posting thingummies and better spamblocking diddlydoos.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, December 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

I... uh... okay?

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, December 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Beeps was being self-referential about necroing the thread, Mr. Lion -- posting in it after a long period of time.

I find it unlikely we'll move away from GeekLog, unfortunately, and at least with the set o' tools I have at my disposal, there's no easy way to mass lock posts in this system. I agree too, though. Razz It's a matter of finding the time to sit down and do it. Maybe if you're all very lucky, my relations will be horrible over the next week and I'll find myself wanting to wade endlessly through the forums.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, December 22 2011 @ 05:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. Welcome back, Bart! Good to see you again.

2. I still agree that those things would be good.

3. Hi there Full Metal Lion! That's an interesting name. I'm giggling to imagine a lion crashing around in a (human) suit of armour, even if that isn't at all what your character is like.

4. I agree with Dizzy, even if I am not familiar with IPB - less spam would be lovely. And improved posting ditto.

5. Aw. Well, I would actually prefer for you to have a happy Christmas, Z - but if you do find yourself that irritated, many thanks if you take the time to do that chore!

6. If we do (at some vague hypothetical point) move to a different kind of forum, I would be very happy if:

a) there was a way we could +1 posts. Many times I want to agree with a post or set of posts in a thread, but don't want to spam it just to say "yes".

b) The quoting function was better. Many other forums have, as the quote function, not just the person's name but a link to the actual post where they said it.

c) We could have Spoiler tags for hiding big walls of text where they are needed (or spoilers, of course).

d) We could have an automatic "this thread has not been posted in for X days. Are you sure you want to necro? Perhaps making a new thread would be better?" alert.

e) We could edit our posts after the three-minute GREM window, or however short it is. (An auto-added "edited by name at timestamp" marker is standard for that sort of thing.)

f) And, what the hell - maybe rebuild the whole forum so that our Enquirer login is the same as our character's name. It's useful to know who people are. (Yes, I know, that would cut out being able to make anonymous remarks without fear of reprisal, and making joke accounts like The Stranger, etc ... so actually perhaps that isn't a good idea. Hm.)

But, anyway, all that is for the dim and distant future. For now, my vote goes to updating the Wiki stylesheet as the one thing to do first.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, December 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Beeps was being self-referential about necroing the thread, Mr. Lion -- posting in it after a long period of time.

Ooooohhhhhh. Right, yes. These forums must move fairly slowly then, because this topic was near the top.
Quote by: Buddleia

3. Hi there Full Metal Lion! That's an interesting name. I'm giggling to imagine a lion crashing around in a (human) suit of armour, even if that isn't at all what your character is like.

6. If we do (at some vague hypothetical point) move to a different kind of forum, I would be very happy if:

a-e) Stuff.

f) And, what the hell - maybe rebuild the whole forum so that our Enquirer login is the same as our character's name. It's useful to know who people are. (Yes, I know, that would cut out being able to make anonymous remarks without fear of reprisal, and making joke accounts like The Stranger, etc ... so actually perhaps that isn't a good idea. Hm.)

But, anyway, all that is for the dim and distant future. For now, my vote goes to updating the Wiki stylesheet as the one thing to do first.

3. Heh heh.

a-e) I agree. The model I would propose is the Escapist's forums. I think it's a pretty cool system. CBA to give you a link, though.
f) That would also be convenient.

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, February 01 2014 @ 11:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

I have no opinion on the first one, but I do love me some readable footnotes! Fiftiethed! Fivthed? Fifthed? N+1'd, anyhow.

Who is this adorable rookie who, way back in 2011, was necromancing threads and perhaps posting slightly too often? Well, no matter, for I have come to this thread with an answer to your prayers!

While I can't lock the Legacy forums, I can make a Greasemonkey userscript about the footnotes on the wiki. Since I didn't have a fancy-shmancy site to put it on, you can find the userscript here. I accept gratitude in the form of money, words of praise, and kitten gifs.
Don't let this make you think I'm a l33t hacker, though; I don't even own a leather trenchcoat.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, February 01 2014 @ 11:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Superb! I have no kitten gifs and not much money, so instead just let me say that you are a truly wonderful human being and I personally nominate you for president of the universe. Is that praise enough?

One small question, I've looked at it and it looks very clever, how do I use it?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Saturday, February 01 2014 @ 11:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I use Tampermonkey with chrome, which allows me to make new scripts in my browser. Then I just copied and pasted the script FML provided.

But yeah, probably need a file for this for other users.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, February 01 2014 @ 11:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Mr. Green Oh, you're too kind! Anyhow...

Step one: copy-paste the code into a text file. Save it as "ii-FootnoteFixer.user.js" (make sure you change the filetype to .js, not just the name. "ii-FootnoteFixer.user.js.txt" is no good)

Step two:
If you're in Chrome, drag-and-drop the file onto your extensions page (which you can access via Menu->Tools->Extensions). (In the past, you needed some sort of Greasemonkey Extension, but that seems to no longer be the case (for me at least))

If you're in Firefox, get the Greasemonkey Add-On and then (after restarting firefox or whatever) drag-and-drop the file onto the new User Scripts section in your Add-Ons menu.

If you use a different browser, the process is probably similar.

Edit: A file, eh? Good idea. I'll add one.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, February 02 2014 @ 12:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It works! It works! Big Grin
That is so good!
I feel really clever now for managing to work out how to find extensions pages etc. all by myself!
Maybe I'll be allowed to cross the road without holding somebody's hand now! Maybe that's my next major life challenge! I may even learn how to write without using far too many exclamation marks!

Full Metal Lion, you are a genius and proof that we live in the best of all possible worlds!

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, February 02 2014 @ 12:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Woooo! Awesome! Love it, FML!

As requested, a kitten gif:

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply