Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Season 2 and Newbie Retention
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Former Noob
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 05:25 AM UTC (Read 2393 times)  

For me, the biggest turn off for this game is that a handful of players seem to dominate the game.

And looking through this forum, they seem to have been dominant for some time.

And that leads me to believe they will continue to do so in Season 2.

While some will argue that is a natural occurrence in an online game I would counter that it is unhealthy.

Ultimately, I feel it greatly limits the appeal to new players.
"Why should I even play? I'll never catch up!"

Ideas

1. Reset the Hall of Fame monthly/weekly

2. Make Clan Buffs consumable. You have to keep feeding them Cigs/Req to keep them working.
I like the idea of not being able to max all buffs.

3. Give clans a Newbie Buff if they have a certain number of low level members or a penalty if they don't have newbies.

4. Drop inactive clan members quicker.

5. Add a cost to post DK buffs. example: You can add 5 charm but it will cost 1 turn.

6. Automatically send newbies an email asking for input.

7. Redo the FAQ. Less LOL more info. People go the the FAQ because they are frustrated or lost. In that state the humor can come across as 'You're on your own! Yuck Yuck." The Primer is a good start but I feel it should be more succinct.

Basically what I am suggesting is to introduce more balancing elements and explore ways to get more feedback from your target players (ie newbies).

Count of S-G
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 07:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't think that you are right about this at all. I believe that the top 5 players at the time of the reset were, JtPN (gone), Ufkegger (gone), Tigger (gone), Rhiannon (still here), and myself. So thats only two out of five, and as a whole I believe that it's reflective of a trend for players in general, a number of people had real life situations that caused them to lessen their play time.

I do believe that there will be a new system for person resets every couple months (mentioned in CMJ's post about season 2) which would also make a difference.

On your ideas:

1) ? do you mean weekly/monthly global resets? Because if you do, I can think of nothing more likely to get players to quit then that. The first reset we had lost a significant number of people, losing everything each week would be hideous. Also, there is a tournament server that resets monthly. If you mean something else, please clarify.

2) CMJ is working on reducing the power of clan buffs, they were much more of a problem in the pilot when you could use them in PvP.

3) I like the idea of a Newbie buff, but I think a penalty is a bit much. Also, CMJ has mentioned that he will be lowering the limit on clan size once again.

4) That's the policy of clans. Sweet drops people if they're inactive for 2 weeks.

5) Not sure if I understand this, are you saying that the improbability drive points should have downsides? Because if they didn't actually help, then there would be no reason to quest to kill the drive, and then no one would watch the TV show.

6) I think that a simple request for input would be a good idea.

7) Agreed, in fact, CMJ, I volunteer to rewrite the FAQs to explain more, and try to keep some of the humor.

At the end of the day, I'd have to say that having played the game more gives an advantage to people with experience...

Also, in light of suggestions I've made for donation rewards, it would help donaters advance through the game. Something that I think everyone can agree on. Also, if you notice, I believe all of the top 10 players have donated to the game, and it does help some.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 02:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Count, with due respect, you're not a newbie. I can see that 'handful of big players' is the impression that many newbies may get.
To float an idea, perhaps having a hall of fame not for number of DKs but for speed of DKs, so average days per DK over the last 5 or 10 DKs?
I do like the idea of specifically asking for newbie input, perhaps after they've played 5 game days or something.
I think the FAQ will need regular revision, based on the questions that newbies are actually frequently asking. It's easy to forget what was confusing to you long ago now you've got the hang of it. Or even that you never had a problem with because it got introduced bit by bit, while you were already here, rather than suddenly having it all hit you in one fell swoop.

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 02:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am too a Newbie. Just look at my title on the island. (Changed specifically for this response)

And If you think that the hall of fame is unbalanced now, you should have seen the hall of fame before the reset.

I think that the problem with average drive kill speed is that the same people would end up in the lead who were already up there. I think that it would be a nice thing if you could tell when a person signed up for the island so that you could compare your self to others. Perhaps a tier in the drive kill hall of fame or something.

And I would like to say that the Newbies have a lot more help then they did when I started. I wasn't in a clan for my first 10 drive kills, none of this restoration for free as a newbie, no travel agents, etc. I do agree that there could be some changes to the FAQ, which is the reason why we have a Newbie Advisory in the wiki of lies. I do also try to answer Newbie questions whenever I see them asked.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 03:05 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The important point about this is that someone felt this way.

It needs to be addressed.

The easiest way to make a new player leave the game is to make them feel excluded. If you entered a new game where it looked like all the top slots were locked up forever, and everything was in control of a small in-group of which you could never be a part... wouldn't you eventually decide you didn't need that, and go elsewhere?

It doesn't matter if it's founded in facts or not. If the top players are making newcomers, and even fairly experienced players,* feel this way, then something has to be done. Putting it in social terms: the game structure naturally leads to an aristocracy. Being an aristocrat is very ego-gratifying and all, but if the top players act too much like an aristocracy, they will drive other players away.

The existence of an in-group arises naturally, too: players who have been around for a long time just know each other, like each other, and tend to cooperate with each other to their mutual advantage. It's all very innocent. But it's a problem for the game.

And it isn't a question that can be solved by fiddling with game mechanics.

Also, a lot of the role-playing that goes on in the towns sounds to an outsider like one long, involved, in-joke that they will never be allowed to understand. (Of course, that's not something CMJ should even try to change.)

I think we need to talk openly about what the more influential players can do, both within and outside the clan structure, to draw newcomers in and make them feel they have a chance to be important. And about what may be going on, inadvertently, to give the opposite impression.

==
* This poster called him/herself a former noob. From internal evidence, this is someone who has stuck around for a while -- but is still feeling excluded. That shouldn't be happening.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 03:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

First off, you anonymous Former Noob you, thanks for giving feedback. Getting feedback from people who have left the game is next to bloody impossible, so thanks for doing this.

Clearly something needs to be done - in Season Two I'm going to try and break up the clans so that they're smaller and have less influence on the game.

Oh, and to address the reset... Lots and lots and lots of people threatened to leave. Very, very few actually did. Server traffic roughly doubled immediately following the move into Season One.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 04:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The clans are probably a big reason for discouraging newbies, Former Noob mentioned this. I think it's probably worth analysing why.
The problem is, as I see it, not just large buffs, but also the limits on clan membership mean that the big clans are now full up, newbies can't join, and have to start their own, or go clanless. The big boys and girls are altogether having their fun, and the newbies are left out in the cold, the very opposite of the warm inclusive feeling that gifting engendered so well.

How about 2 or 3 of you aristos in the big clans seperating off and starting a new clan? I'm by no means one of the top players, but I'm very probably going to leave CIA and join a much smaller clan, I've just this evening written a distraction to the founder of a very small clan (5 members, combined DK count of 3) asking if I might join them. For the very big players, it would probably be better to have 2 or 3 of you start your own, otherwise it would be all too easy to come across as giving it the big 'I Am', let them come to you, not the other way round. If any of you decide to do this, and want me to join them, and distract me soon enough, then count me in. I won't contribute much in terms of officer work or the like, but I can help make up the numbers. I strongly urge some of you to think about this, as I believe it would make the island a better place to be. Or even better, several of you start more than one new clan.

*** WARNING - Another idea brought to you from 'Hairy's House Of Daft Ideas' ***

Let clans split. Start off deciding what the maximum clan buff should be and halve it. Once a clan is big enough, in some sense, let them split in two, and divide members and clan buffs between them however they see fit, or perhaps divide buffs proportionally according to members in each new clan. These clans are now associate. Each clan then gets their own buffs, plus 10% of the buffs of any associate clan. Don't allow a clan to have more than 5 associate clans, so the total maximum buff is what you wanted in the first place. Association is not transitive (if clan A is associate with clan B, and clan B is associate with clan C, this does not mean that clan A is associate with clan C). Hopefully this will encourage the aristocracy to spread themselves around a bit more.

*** End of Daft Idea. ***

P.S. Count St.G. I see now why changing your front was for my benefit, I first found out when reading the boards in the game, and was somewhat mystified why putting 'Newbie' in front was a dig at me, and left a line or two to that effect. Big Grin

Profile Email
Fogger
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 05:23 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Former Noob

5. Add a cost to post DK buffs. example: You can add 5 charm but it will cost 1 turn.

I actually like this idea. Something like this could add a higher level of strategy to the game.

As an alternative, base the post Drive Kill buffs on the race that you played.
ie a reborn Kittymorph gets +5 Charm and -1 Defense, a reborn Zombie gets +2 Turns and -2 Charm, etc.

As far as balance, maybe level caps is something worth exploring.
Say, no more additional buffs once you hit 100 DK's.

That might mean higher level players quit or restart but maybe that's a good thing.
Their leaving would allow others to move up and prevent the game from getting stagnant.

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 05:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the note of clans, I believe CMJ has said that he is working on balancing buffs, and reducing membership once again. Also, as far as Sweet goes, I try to always have room for new players, and most of the "aristos" in our clan, actually have jobs that they do, as does all of our leadership regardless of drive kill amount. I actually spend a great deal of time organizing Sweet.

As I believe I've said in a couple places, Sweet had a sizable amount of it's players leave after we maxed out our clan buffs during the pilot, and I have not noticed that happening at all for any of the clans with maxed out buffs this season.

And if anyone has any grips with how I do things, please tell me, and I'll try to change my habits.

On the note of role-playing: One of our officers' duties (recently assigned) is to try to post pertinent information from role-playing to the wiki of lies, so that new players could understand what the role playing is all about.

Fogger having the experienced players leave is a bad idea. I think that CMJ's idea about if you get a certain number of drive kills or something (He hasn't entirely explained it to everyone) you lose all of your drive kills and restart with an advantage, kind of like killing the drive in the first place, but taking less time. I know that I would be annoyed if the game was specifically designed to drive off players after playing for a long enough time.

Well as a comment, here is part of what I would add to the New Player Primer:

Clans
You may have noticed that most players have a in front of their name. This is their clan. Clans allow for players to better work together, and have a number of benefits. The benefits come from players donating cigarettes (one of the currencies in the game) to their clan, and the clan leadership is then able to purchase clan buffs for the entire clan. Although it is quite possible to play this game without being in a clan, clan play helps because of both the tangible benefit, and because players in the clan are normally quite willing to go out of their way to help new players in their clan.

By visiting the clan hall, you can view the current clans, and decide which one is best for you. Clans with 50 or more people are currently full, and would be unable to accept you, but smaller clans are normally quite willing to accept new players.

The Improbability Drive
At the end of the day, everyone on the island is trying to destroy the improbability drive because it forced us here in the first place. The drive is a fearsome opponent however, and you are unable to search for it until you are level 15. Once you are level 15, a new option will appear in the jungle, and you can search for the improbability drive in that city. However, the drive is elusive, and might not be in the city that you expect it to be in. It can be in any city on the island except Improbable Central, and you might have to check all of them.

Cities
There are 8 cities on the island, with the two most important to new players being New Home, the home of humans, and Improbable Central, the capital of the island. You are most likely in New Home (you do start there as a new player), to find Improbable central, you head in a northward direction, in order to find where it is for sure, you can purchase a map in the communications tent.

Weapons and Armor
You can purchase weapons and armor from Sheila's in any city, this weapons come with a money back guarantee. You can also purchase weapons and armor that have been haphazardly thrown together by other players in the Scavenger's Store in New Home.

Still Lost?
Ask any questions in town, or send a distractions to a more experienced player who is online. They are almost always willing to help.

I would also mention in the part about PvP that the pub is located in Improbable Central. It bugged me endlessly as a new player because I couldn't find the pub. And I think that "Where's the pub?" is one of the more commonly asked questions.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 11:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You're doing a good job with newbie advice there St.G. well done.

On the subject of clans though, yes you try to always make room for new players, but you've got a clan limit of 50, and there's around 1000 players on the island, about half of them (my very rough estimation) on their first 2 or 3 DKs. With the best will in the world, you can't possibly fit them all in. This is why in the advice, you point out that if a clan has 50 or more players in it, then it's full and can't accept anyone new.
I'm not saying that there's a deliberate conspiracy of longer players to keep everything to themselves, but that that's the way it's panning out. I'm also not saying that every single player with more than 50 DK say should instantly rush out and start a new clan, but I am saying that if some of you got together and started one or two new clans, then I think that would be a good thing for the island.

Profile Email
Icterid
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 12:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

For starters, I'd like to thank anonymous Former Noob for posting his/her issues. The game can only be improved by people registering their complaints.

Some of my thoughts:

To sort of address point 1 (resetting the HoF), what if the hall of fame listing was available in several categories:

1) everyone together (as it is now)
2) DK 1-5
3) DK 6-10
4) DK 11-20
5) DK 21-50
6) DK 51-100
7) DK 101 - 150
8) ... for as many as we need

This way, players could look at where they stand with respect to players with at a similar experience level. I don't know how often players would check up on how they're doing in the ranks, but it might provide some with a more reachable challenge - (hooray, I've got the highest scavenging level in my class!) instead of looking at the top dogs and thinking, how am I ever going to get there?

Point 2 (consumable clan buffs): I think this would be addressed by allowing clan transcendence. Buffs are reset, and the clan get some sort of Awesomeness badge, and start working to get the buffs back.

Point 3 (Newbie buff/penalty): Lower clan numbers in Season 2 will encourage more clans to form, so you won't see only a few high-ranking clans dominating the landscape. Also, if clans are given a newbie buff, they might be prone to pulling in Newbie just to have Newbies, and not necessarily because those Newbies are going to be a good addition to the clan.

Point 5 (DK buff cost): I think this would be a bad idea - as CoSG pointed out, going through DKs would lose some meaning if you had to sacrifice some abilities for new ones. Plus it would make fighting monsters harder as you ascended if you couldn't build up att/def along the way.

Point 6 (Newbie feedback): I agree that this would be very helpful. Perhaps when a character is erased, CMJ, you could have some email triggered that asks a player to provide some feedback (could be a link in the email that directs them to an online survey-type form) about why the stopped playing. I'm not sure how many people would partake, but some info is better than none.

Alternatively, you could have a Feedback link in the game which allows players to provide comments or directs them to a form they could fill out - because it would be best to get feedback from players while they're still in the game (though I could see that becoming a tool for venting).

Another possibility, is send an email after 5-10 days of not playing, to remind them about II, and also to provide a link to a feedback form. They might be more inclined to provide feedback when the game is slightly fresher in their minds. After 30 days, they might have forgotten all about II.

Profile Email
Jerkymaster
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 03:18 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I haven't played much during season 1, but here are my opinions on some of these ideas.

1) I love the idea of a leveled HoF. When I'm a newbie at any game, I like to compare myself to people who are close to my level, not the people who I will probably never catch up to.

2) I think clan buffs that you have to pay to keep is a good idea. The cost could be scaled based on the level of the buff, so it would become expensive for the clan to max out all buffs and may be more profitable to only max some aspects of the buff and skip over others.

3&4) In my opinion, clans should be able to have their own membership rules

5) I agree that DK buff costs would be a bad idea.

6) Feed back is always good.

"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 04:06 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

OK, I've changed the expiry notice to include a request for feedback in the Enquirer about the game. Doubt it'll do much good, but we'll see.

Loving the tiered HOF idea. Only problem is, if you've got a HOF for contestants with, say, 1-5 DK's... What's the HOF for? Charm? Gold? Glory?

(I loved the Glory stat. Want to do more with it, make it a bigger part of the game.)

Profile Email Website
Fodder Kid
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 04:09 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I don't want to sound like a tool, but the HALL OF FAME is exactly that. I HALL OF THE BESTEST BASTARDS THAT EVER SET FOOT HERE! I was floored when I first looked at it, just like I was when I looked at the Gamer Score of some people who must play Halo 20 hours a day to have the scores they have. But I've only been on this game 2 months top and now I find myself ranked 103 in the DK list. It IS possible to find yourself on ALL the HoF listings, it just takes some time. It WOULD be easier if it just told you what page you were on from the get go, maybe CMJ could add that to the percentage stat as well so you COULD look at yourself with other folks.

Maybe we could add a HoF stat for the original date you arrived on the Island, that way you could compare yourself to people who have been here roughly as long as you have.

Yet again, I don't think smaller clans is the idea. I could be wrong, but I'm JUST now beginning to REALLY get to know some folks in my clan and by NOT being in their clan anymore It would become a pain to just distract them all the time. I like goofing with them in the call, clan distractions, etc. That being said what if there was an imposed clan level mechanism of some sort? (sorry I am a computer dunce and these will NOT be the correct terms so bear with me, you'll get the drift)

Every clan would be allowed to have a certain number of officers. Then they would be REQUIRED to have 5-10 people with less than 8 DKs, 5-10 people with 8-15 DKs, and so on up.

This way, a clan would have to REALLY look into who was helping benefit the clan. Sure you always keep some newbies around because you'd have to, they would get buff etc. But to be able to still be in the clan you would have to maintain whatever requirements that clan set up. Maybe it's PVP, maybe questing, maybe gifting, maybe role playing. Hell the clan could choose to make each "group" do something else to be able to stay in the clan.

Sorry for the length, but I just don't want to see really small clans out there and be forced to leave my pals. THAT would piss me off more than anything else. Yes I agree that clans could use some over hauling, but is smaller numbers really the key?

Fodder Kid

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 04:48 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

As a complete aside, I'm considering a new rule that makes it mandatory to put "apologies for length" at the end of every single forum post.

Not because they're too long to read, you understand. Just because it'd result in some pretty imaginative penis jokes.

Profile Email Website
Icterid
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 05:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Loving the tiered HOF idea. Only problem is, if you've got a HOF for contestants with, say, 1-5 DK's... What's the HOF for? Charm? Gold? Glory?

I was envisioning the different DK levels acting like a filter - you'd still get to click through all the different stats (DK, cigs, gold, glory, ect...) but the results would be filtered to only show contestants within the DK range you selected. Perhaps a drop-down menu at the top of each page to apply a filter to the stat you're currently viewing?

Fodder Kid - some are inspired by the HoF to try harder to get up to the top. Others are discouraged by it, as it seems Former Noob was. Especially if you consider the rate at which high level players can DK (i.e., multiple times in one game day) and compare that to the 20+ days it takes Newbies to get their first DK...

Personally, I don't like the idea of having to maintain a certain number of members in certain DK tiers. It could cause members to get kicked out because someone advanced into the next tier, but there were already the maximum number of people in that tier. So instead of kicking out the members that are least active overall, you have to kick out a member that might be active, but less so than other member in his/her tier. And recruiting might turn into "anyone between DK level 5 and 10 is welcome, no one else is," which doesn't seem very friendly.

I'd rather have clans be tight-knit groups that fluctuated less (in terms of membership) but interacted better within the clan and throughout the island. Smaller clans seem to fit that profile better. Way to go if you're really great friends with all 49+ other clan members - but in SWEET there is a small number of people who post on a regular occasion. I could see the clan dropping to 25 members and I probably wouldn't notice much of a change.

On the upside, I'm guessing the clans won't change until season 2, so you'll probably be able to get some if not many of your friends into the same clan when that starts...

EDIT
PS - Sorry for my short to medium post length. I try to keep it short most of the time, but sometimes it gets out of control and just gets longer and longer. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Anonymous: Tor NaGoth
 Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 05:35 AM UTC  

First: Thanks, Joe. That last entry gave me a real chuckle.

second: I think tying the start date into the hall of fame would really help. I'm relatively new (started in september) but I've managed to achieve some pretty significant HoF Milestones, and it's one part of the reason I play as much as I do.

third: While I am opposed to resetting the master Hall of Fame, I do think it would be cool to have a Monthly, or even Weekly hall of fame that does reset.

and Lastly: I apologize if the relatively short length of this post has left anyone unsatisfied, and I will endeavor to make longer entries in the Future. ;o)

~Tor

Cath
 Tuesday, November 11 2008 @ 12:04 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

So, I don't know if I count as a Newbie any more... I started on Aug 12 (according to my first confirmation email). I have about 24 DKs (level 15 on 24, so nearly 25). I've worked hard to get myself higher up in the HoF standings because I knew I could do it, not because it was impossible. I'm now almost on page one of the DK listing (28 minimum), I'm on the top quester list, 31st most glorious... I understand that resetting the HoF monthly might be good for some things, but completely ridding it of the all time stats makes it so that people like me who do want to have a place in the "real" standings have nothing to work for. Why would I care about getting high glory if it would be deleted after a month. It's not like (on some sites) you get any benefits from being on the list.

If there was a buff or turn bonus or Req bonus daily for being on the list it would make sense to me to clear it regularly so that more people have a chance at it but as just a journal of the standings, there's no reason to reset.

I suppose it would be nice to see your standing on par with people near to your DK #s but *shrug* it doesn't really sound as impressive. "Yay! I'm 4th on the list of people with 1-5 DKs..." That's like having the best drawing from all kids aged 2-5... chances are, it's still a pretty crappy drawing.

Granted, I will probably never catch up to people with hundreds of DKs unless they stop playing for a year or so but it is possible to get good spots on other lists including within my guild.

Whether you kept the guilds at the 50 person max or halved it, what about having a HoF for the members of the guilds. That would be a way to limit the people in the HoF and give you a way to compare against your clan mates.

Yes, I know you can look at the list of clannies to see the # of DKs everyone has but I'm a stat-addict... I'd like to see how I compare in all the categories.

Profile Email
cowtessa
 Tuesday, November 11 2008 @ 01:48 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

In regards to the Hall of Fame:

I joined the game on August 4th, so I've only been around for about half of season one. I don't think that puts me really in the category of n00b or, really into that box labeled "Veterans". I won't say that its work but it does take a bit of effort, to get onto the HoF boards. I now find myself listed in the top 50 for drive kills, drive kill speed, charm, monster kills and sometimes on the lists for scavenging (currently just under the list) and toughness (when at 14/15). Personally I felt like I'd made a pretty big accomplishment even managing to get my name on the same lists as some of the people that have been playing since the beginning. Being on the first page of the HoF would lose some of its meaning if it reset constantly. It wouldn't be an accomplishment any more. "Yay! I'm in the top 50 list and its been 30 minutes since the reset!" doesn't have quite the same feel as playing for 2 months and seeing your name on that first page. You know...unless you happen to be into the whole slash dot "FIRST!" thing.

In the same vein, it would be interesting to see the clan DK list sorted by DK/member rather than just overall DK...(if only because KATS would be 5th rather than 9th ^_^ )

Clan Buffs:

I'm really curious to see how this works out. I know that building it up with a small group has been a slow process for KATS, and we're only 13% along the way. Several of us are making frequent contributions to it, but its still slow, painful going. I don't know that we'd necessarily go for the ascendance thing if that becomes an option, but I'll be curious to see what is done. I very much like the feel of our clan, and feel that we have a pretty tight knit group overall.

DK/Improbable points:

*cringe* Yes...that could add an element of strategy to the game, but really, is it needed? As it is there is a lot of personal debate about which way to spend points as it is. Adding in exchanges would become an equation rather than an accomplishment (what is with that word today...I think I need to take it in for an exchange...) People would just look to see what point(s) they could buy most economically for ciggies/donor points and then use those for the exchanges, changing them through however many DK into the desired attribute (and then where would the fun be of talking to the bartender in the Raven Inn to see what other people put their points into?)

Overall, it would be less fun in my book. Sort of like going to upgrade your computer and being told in order to put in more RAM for games you need to pull out one of the hard drives. Next upgrade you go to put in a new hard drive and are told that you need to downgrade your video card. You never really get to where you want to be. Your just artificially creating new bottlenecks.

Newbies:

I like the idea of some sort of clan buff tied to having new players join...I'm not really sure, though, on how to balance it out. What would prevent a clan of a few players from inviting new players in and then kicking them out when the buff wears out? Or having a new player join/leave/join to renew the buff, etc.?

Rewards:

Perhaps there are other things, like CoSG was mentioning, that some of the more veteran players could volunteer to help with, possibly in exchange for some in game shiny? A different tattoo/jewelry option available to those that maintain some of the other parts? Or minor rewards for excellent roleplay/newbie advice in the game (req/ciggies/extra turns for a period/shiny names and/or titles). I'm sure that there are things that CMJ could hand off to those that are deemed Worthy to take some of the load off him (and let him get back to coding more ^_^ )

And yes, I apologize for the size, but they're completely natural. (The posts! Dirty, dirty people...no shame!)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply