Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 "discard all" button
 |  Printable Version
Aurom
 Wednesday, November 16 2011 @ 05:42 PM UTC (Read 2992 times)  
Forum Newbie

While this really isn't a major flaw, it is rather annoying to have to discard useless things one by one when you don't want them. A "discard all" button (preferably with a conformation message) would fix this nicely. The annoyance mainly manifests when I'm getting rid of my crap meat. Or when I'm just dumping my meat so it doesn't become a meatling... yick. So... yea, not a big thing, but it's a thought.

Profile Email
Itazu
 Thursday, November 17 2011 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I agree wholeheartedly. Also, I did not know meat in your bag caused meatlings... that is good to know Mr. Green

Profile Email
Omega
 Thursday, November 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes, I'd very much like one, or buttons to discard or drop a specific amount. Be assured that this is probably being considered!

(By the way, there is nothing you can do to prevent creating a Meatling, they are random game enemies that have nothing to do with anything you can do. Also, you may want to not clean carcasses of monsters that don't give you tasty meat. Personally, I only clean the bear strapped to the back of another bear, wild horses, the army of hippopotami, and three french hen, probably. You may want to go to here for an incomplete list of meat drops.)

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, November 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Also, if you're into the whole "cooking your own meat" thing, the Panthzer. OH MY GOD THE PANTHZER. SO MUCH MEAT!

(The seventy-headed hellhound actually used to be the best monster to clean, but it got fixed and then the cooking system got tied into the restaurant food system and it's no longer worth it except for the 40 req Kebabs'll give you.)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Monday, November 21 2011 @ 07:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Itazu

I agree wholeheartedly. Also, I did not know meat in your bag caused meatlings... that is good to know Mr. Green

Oh, that's wrong. Meatlings are just monsters, you can't 'cause' them. They appear at a certain level, whether you have meat or not.

But I do agree about the discard all button. I think this has been brought up in the past, or been an issue for a while, so.. I am inclined to think there's some reason CMJ hasn't implemented it.

Usually there's some ugly coding problem in the way that we can't fathom without being programmers. Otherwise, he tries to make things as easy for us as humanly possible.

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Tuesday, November 22 2011 @ 02:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

This actually became a problem for me recently; even with my advanced backpack.

so, yeah... another vote on the stack, please.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 12:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I vote no on this.

There's three ways of amassing so many of an item that clicking Discard becomes a hassle: opening a crate, buying the items and meat from monsters. The first two ways would hardly benefit from a Discard All button because they're items you can sell. Why chuck 27 Small Medkits when you can chuck only 12 and sell the other 15?

So it comes down to meat, which, barring going through the Meat List after every kill, the only way of knowing what monsters give what meat is through trial and error. This makes cleaning a carcass and getting 50 Crap Meat a learning experience. If you don't want to press the Discard button for 5 solid minutes, then you'll learn not to clean a 70-Headed Hellhound.

Adding a Discard All button would take time that could be better spent then solving a trivial matter that can easily be avoided after the first time.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

I vote no on this.

There's three ways of amassing so many of an item that clicking Discard becomes a hassle: opening a crate, buying the items and meat from monsters. The first two ways would hardly benefit from a Discard All button because they're items you can sell. Why chuck 27 Small Medkits when you can chuck only 12 and sell the other 15?

So it comes down to meat, which, barring going through the Meat List after every kill, the only way of knowing what monsters give what meat is through trial and error. This makes cleaning a carcass and getting 50 Crap Meat a learning experience. If you don't want to press the Discard button for 5 solid minutes, then you'll learn not to clean a 70-Headed Hellhound.

Adding a Discard All button would take time that could be better spent then solving a trivial matter that can easily be avoided after the first time.

This issue is time spent and page loads. Fine, if you don't want to discard 27 Small Medkits, let there please be a sell 27 Small Medkits feature.

The argument that the player workaround is a better solution than a simple option to do a very basic action in a quick way seems quite ridiculous. "Learn where the game is incredibly tedious, and avoid it." That sounds like a feature of good game design!

What we should have, which has been said over and over and over, is a text-input box to specify exactly how many times we want the action to be done. "Discard [12] Small Medkits" "Sell [305] BANG Grenades" "Drop [4505] Stone".

Profile Email
Boudi
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 06:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'd actually really like this idea! For the meat problem, this is actually terrible once you start getting into the motions of spamming fights with classy insults. Oh look! You've killed him in one click. That added 'c' click has now earned you some annoying clumps of meat in your backpack that will take a pause to unload. While I can understand where the argument of suffering the consequences of one's mistake, it would really be very useful for those who do clean carcasses or who do it by mistake.

-Boudicca

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 10:21 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

This issue is time spent and page loads. Fine, if you don't want to discard 27 Small Medkits, let there please be a sell 27 Small Medkits feature.

The argument that the player workaround is a better solution than a simple option to do a very basic action in a quick way seems quite ridiculous. "Learn where the game is incredibly tedious, and avoid it." That sounds like a feature of good game design!

What we should have, which has been said over and over and over, is a text-input box to specify exactly how many times we want the action to be done. "Discard [12] Small Medkits" "Sell [305] BANG Grenades" "Drop [4505] Stone".

I agree on both points here. One, yeah, telling people to just deal with it and waste their time for no other reason isn't helpful to anyone.

On the input box, that sounds like a really useful idea. Like the example above, maybe you want to get rid of some of a large number for weight reasons, or in sales, but not all.

If that's programmably possible, that would be incredibly conveiniant.

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 10:54 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

This makes cleaning a carcass and getting 50 Crap Meat a learning experience. If you don't want to press the Discard button for 5 solid minutes, then you'll learn not to clean a 70-Headed Hellhound.

There are more ways to end up with 50 crap meat than cleaning a 70 headed hellhound.
Cleaning a few Ravenous Bug-Blatter Beasts, or a bunch of Fat Butchers and Evolutions Greatest Failures. 50 Adult Moldwarps/Popes/Foreign Travellers will do it. They all give out two or more tasty meat, so none of these would constitute a 'bad' choice in carcass cleaning. Nonetheless, the crap (and half-decent) meat adds up. It's not a learning experience. It's just annoying.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Doesn't anyone else just let the meat walk? Maybe I've never, ever filled my backpack up enough from cleaning to run into this problem, but accidentally cleaning an undesirable carcass really doesn't phase me. Then, if I happen to be passing one of four outposts, I can pop in and get a few req. Anything I don't sell just wriggles away from me at dawn, to live happily in the swamp around SH with others of its kind.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: talkydoor

Doesn't anyone else just let the meat walk? Maybe I've never, ever filled my backpack up enough from cleaning to run into this problem, but accidentally cleaning an undesirable carcass really doesn't phase me. Then, if I happen to be passing one of four outposts, I can pop in and get a few req. Anything I don't sell just wriggles away from me at dawn, to live happily in the swamp around SH with others of its kind.

I think it has more to do with overloading your backpack. It's quite easy if you like to find crates and clean carcasses. Or keep a big stash of items on you. Or if you just have a small backpack because you're a rookie who thinks cleaning the carcass is a useful skill because he doesn't know about steaks. I may or may not be citing personal experience... >.>

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Twist
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 08:13 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

There could just be a separate meat bag. I mean, if the ciggies go in a 'tobacco pouch', then it's not at all far-fetched to think that one could tie up some cutlets in a separate pouch on the backpack that you can just turn inside-out. Somebody could think up a clever code for that, probably.

In any case, I've been just walking over to the Squat Hole and selling it all. Beats clicking 'Discard' a few hundred times.Not a great solution, but...

... and vokda as well.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply