Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Watcher Blessing missing - was not announced
 |  Printable Version
tehdave
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM UTC (Read 2416 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, as the title implies, I was on my way to go see the Watcher about tuning up my weapon to fight the Drive, and lo and behold, the option wasn't there!

MUST REPORT BUG!

Oh wait, it was already in the bug reports...and listed as closed because "It was taken out to make room for something better"...

*ahem*
WHY WAS IT NOT ANNOUNCED ANYWHERE THAT THE WATCHER BLESSING WAS GOING TO BE REMOVED?
*cough*
Sorry, thought the question was important. You see...something big like that, some people plan their DK run around. Not myself, personally, because I generally don't need it on anything less than a 7/Bastard, but it's nice to have. So when something that's been a bit of a staple of the game is taken out, could we at least be told, instead of having to find out by going to use it, and it simply not being there?

(Yes, I did a word search on the MOTD, and found nothing related to this. Only one instance of the word Watcher, no instances of the words Tune, Equipment, or Blessing...)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
sre
 Sunday, November 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Eek!

...the stertor is deafening...

there, there... *pats on shoulders* it's middling...

...i'm assured that the variegated suzerains are emphatically contrite about this plenary eventuality.

Gooder than grits.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, November 28 2011 @ 05:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

....wut?

Also, having had a few days, I'm a bit more calm about it, but would like to know why a feature was removed without any sort of announcement for it. I'd ask something similar about the Stocks and the Last DK Statue, but that's been a while, and that was a lot more visible and had less impact on the game itself. (Though I do miss Stocks Tag, and the "Improbable Central Trifecta" of posting about your DK when you get back to IC afterwards, while still being in the stocks and being the contestant statue.)

eta: It took a couple minutes for this post to show up...that was odd...

Also, is this going to be some sort of trend in the future? A feature is taken out without any warning or announcement until someone makes a petition about it? Isn't the MoTD a great place for things like "Oh by the way we're taking out the Watcher Blessing for now, and replacing it with something better."

Though honestly, until that "something better" comes...can we have the blessing back? please?

Alright, still within the edit window:
[10/24 01:09pm] Admin CavemanJoe says "Disabling the weapon tune-up module, because it sucks and is unbalancing and sucks. We'll replace it with something better."

Found in a petition response (petition ID 23) so it's apparently been disabled since late October.....

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yeah, this is one of those things that slipped my mind for long enough that by the time I remembered and had a minute, everybody already knew about it anyway. Oops!

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Monday, November 28 2011 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Yeah, this is one of those things that slipped my mind for long enough that by the time I remembered and had a minute, everybody already knew about it anyway. Oops!

Not really. Just mentioned it to a couple people who hadn't found out about it 'til now. Really less concerned with the fact that the blessing is gone and more that something that "Has an effect on DK strategy" (to paraphrase someone) was removed without any sort of announcement, late or otherwise. Keep up the good work, but please let us know because sometimes it seems like stuff happens behind the scenes without any sort of notice.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from some other games (with much larger dev teams, natch) with fully detailed change notes and such...sooo....
Suggestion: a page where you can just put in recent changes/bugfixes, with a quick explanation? Something where it's just as informal as "Action: Took out watcher blessing. Reason: it sucks and is unbalanced and sucks" or "Action: Changed Danquest items to things that make sense on the Island" that would only take a few seconds to put in each time...Just something where players can see some of the behind the scenes stuff without it taking so long for it to be seen...like a Dev Twitter but (and this is important) somewhere easily accessed and marked as such on the actual Iisland site. It would also probably pique a bit more interest in the specific things and push players to check them out! (Bonus!)

Sorry if I come off angry or annoyed in any of this. I'm not the former (anymore) and only mildly the latter. I understand that yes, this is a changing game and I'm not opposed to changes* but I'd at least like to know about them without having to dig.

*-Exception: I want the stocks back. Cool
And the Contestant Statue. Maybe put it in the Common Grounds?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, November 28 2011 @ 08:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Suggestion: a page where you can just put in recent changes/bugfixes, with a quick explanation? Something where it's just as informal as "Action: Took out watcher blessing. Reason: it sucks and is unbalanced and sucks" or "Action: Changed Danquest items to things that make sense on the Island" that would only take a few seconds to put in each time...Just something where players can see some of the behind the scenes stuff without it taking so long for it to be seen...like a Dev Twitter but (and this is important) somewhere easily accessed and marked as such on the actual Iisland site. It would also probably pique a bit more interest in the specific things and push players to check them out! (Bonus!)

To clarify: I don't mean a twitter account. CMJ already has one, and it's sometimes used for II announcements but not often. What I mean is a popout page (akin to the Petitions page, etc.) with just a list (not a chatroom) of recent changes, that Mods or CMJ can add to. Something simple.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, November 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

CMJ's quite good about announcing bugfixes and changes in either the forums or the MotD, the latter of which flashes ingame whenever it's updated until it's read. This one slipped by and he forgot to announce it. There's not a single game that hasn't made this mistake.

I'm going to guess you're hinting at World of Warcraft. Well, look at the first links of this google search. They're not just cosmetic changes, they're significant bugfixes or class changes in them. Loads of them. In every major patch. In the minor ones too.

If you want a Patch Notes page in-game, I fully support that idea. I'm just saying most significant changes have been announced so far in the MotD or the forum, and that CMJ hasn't been bad about it at all, by any means. This was an accident, and it's unfortunate to have messed up your strategy.

I used to rely on infinite Devour Carcasses as my main benefit to fast DKs due to some levels providing more stamina by eating than lost from hunting. When it was changed before it was announced, it sucked. Ah well, a game's a game.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.30 seconds
New Topic Post Reply