Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The PV Vending Machine
 |  Printable Version
Albert Wesker
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 01:13 AM UTC (Read 4984 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I would formally like to make a proposal. Recently, I have been in Pleasantville, talking with my fellow contestants and making merry in the outpost. I went and spent my special comment quills on something I believe might be quite entertaining as a permanent addition to the outpost.
Ladies and Gentlemen (or rather, CMJ), I humbly request this idea: The Pleasantville Vending Machine.

You may ask me:

A vending machine? On the Island? Preposterous!

Of course, vending machines should be obsolete by now. Not this one! the Mutants uncovered it in the jungle, and using their knobbly and wriggly bits, with the help of other proper tools, fixed the old baby up, and it's now running smoothly.

Okay, so they have a vending machine that functions. Cool beans. What would you do with it??

If this doesn't take too much trouble to make (which I highly doubt), it'd be, in my opinion, a nice addition to the home of Mutants. You could spend requisition tokens and get random bags of, well, random snacks and munchies.
Of course, the snacks themselves aren't the most savoury, although you might perchance find something edible and slightly tasty. Or, perhaps, something not so edible. And sentient. Requisition tokens spitting back out might be another option. Or nothing at all.

And what about the descriptions?

I've come up with a few things; namely, a few possible goodies that would be dispensed, the Mutant that lives in the machine/restocks it, et cetera.

I'd love to hear feedback on this idea, changes, criticism, questions. Of course, if this doesn't fly, I'll just attempt to send it out as a jungle monster.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 02:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Actually Vending Machines were back in Season One. We would put items in, cigs mostly, set a price, and leave. Come back later and have tens, even dozens of coins. So someone coming across them again and polishing them up isn't too farfetched.

However, perhaps PV wouldn't be the best place for them, since they have a good place to eat, which might distract them from the vending machines. Acehigh might be an option due to the snacks improbable properties (and to go with that cake) or even CyberCity to give the place some means of nourishment. (heck, the vending machies could be sentient there.)

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Albert Wesker
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 02:16 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Chimental

Actually Vending Machines were back in Season One. We would put items in, cigs mostly, set a price, and leave. Come back later and have tens, even dozens of coins. So someone coming across them again and polishing them up isn't too farfetched.

However, perhaps PV wouldn't be the best place for them, since they have a good place to eat, which might distract them from the vending machines. Acehigh might be an option due to the snacks improbable properties (and to go with that cake) or even CyberCity to give the place some means of nourishment. (heck, the vending machies could be sentient there.)

Ah, I never knew! That sounds rather practical, putting it in CC404. I only suggested PV because it produced rather... disgusting snacks.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 04:45 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

If this is ever written, CC404 is the logical place for it. That's where the Scrapyard is. You can find just about anything in the Scrapyard if you look long and hard enough through the mountains of junk.

In fact, Sessine found several of the old Season One vending machines there some years ago. None of them was in working order, but he's been tinkering ever since, off and on, in his workshop behind The Terminus. Not with any sense of urgency, you know, only something to do in idle moments.

Someday, he might even get a single working machine.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Monday, November 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Chimental

Oh, I like that! It would also draw some people to THE ABANDONED OUTPOSTS more often, at least when new, to check it out. And your logic is sound on both reasons.

Let's hope Sessine keeps it in mind! Big Grin

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, November 22 2011 @ 12:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: TeddybearofDeath

Oh, I like that! It would also draw some people to THE ABANDONED OUTPOSTS more often, at least when new, to check it out. And your logic is sound on both reasons.

At least when new.

Population manipulation is something I've been trying to figure out for this game for a while. It's easy to assume what you've said as correct: that putting in an exclusive feature in an abandoned area will revitalize it.

It's actually not nearly as effective as it seems. CC404 should be a hotspot because it's the only outpost where Stone is mine-able. CC404 is essential for Contraptions and Contrivances. It's home to the Rally, which offers 20+ cigs as its prize each day! It's where the Abandoned Factory is, where people get some ciggy goodies as well. Etcetera.

It's still a quiet town, constantly threatened by the Onslaught. It seems that these perks don't mean anything to the majority of the players--that they don't hang around the city enough to keep its walls high and monsters low and its chat space flowing. The strongest option to population increasing, it seems, is to offer a good meal. Kittania and Pleasantville have great meals. NewHome has a stream of the new players. Improbable Central is very much like what CC404 has become, a non-eatery-town that has the shops to help enjoy other aspects of the game, but it's positioned very close to NewHome and Kittania. The other towns (New Pitts, Squat Hole, AceHigh) are all ghost towns for having shitty food, in addition to having not much to offer.

*cough* But this is a thread about the Vending Machine, not my third thread on suggesting moving populations around.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Tuesday, November 22 2011 @ 05:06 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

At least when new.

Population manipulation is something I've been trying to figure out for this game for a while. It's easy to assume what you've said as correct: that putting in an exclusive feature in an abandoned area will revitalize it.

It's actually not nearly as effective as it seems. CC404 should be a hotspot because it's the only outpost where Stone is mine-able. CC404 is essential for Contraptions and Contrivances. It's home to the Rally, which offers 20+ cigs as its prize each day! It's where the Abandoned Factory is, where people get some ciggy goodies as well. Etcetera.

It's still a quiet town, constantly threatened by the Onslaught. It seems that these perks don't mean anything to the majority of the players--that they don't hang around the city enough to keep its walls high and monsters low and its chat space flowing. The strongest option to population increasing, it seems, is to offer a good meal. Kittania and Pleasantville have great meals. NewHome has a stream of the new players. Improbable Central is very much like what CC404 has become, a non-eatery-town that has the shops to help enjoy other aspects of the game, but it's positioned very close to NewHome and Kittania. The other towns (New Pitts, Squat Hole, AceHigh) are all ghost towns for having shitty food, in addition to having not much to offer.

*cough* But this is a thread about the Vending Machine, not my third thread on suggesting moving populations around.

Hey, I'll admit it's wishful thinking on my part. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the number of people like are in New Home and Kitt in CC404 and PV all the time. Those are my favorite outposts that I can actually story in and do things without being interupted or overwhelmed. But total abandonment isn't helpful either. It'd be nice to have a happy medium because of some food.

CC404 is a long way in high-stam terrain to get very little reward. Not everyone uses the scrapyard, I can say from my own experience, or the rally. There's not a lot of incentives otherwise, except for people that find story reasons to be there, or like the atmosphere as I and some people I know do.

At least Pitts and SquatHole aren't so damn far away.

As for why all the population centers around Newhome and Kitt, NH is self explanitory. But why no one likes to spend more time in New Pitts, I have no idea. My character is very attached to that outpost, and I love roleplaying there. And some of the dedicted midgets make SquatHole worth while if you check in. And I like IC and sometimes it actually is that happy medium of mild activity. Some food would be good, but the PSK and villager hut offer at least something to get you to the next food post. You have nothing between PV and CC404..

But like you said, this isn't really a thread about that.

On topic, I really think this idea could be fun and spice up some of those outposts. I realize the ammount of programming might pose more trouble than it's worth, but if our programmers can get behind it, I for one would enjoy the fruit of their labors.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, November 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

CC404 should be a hotspot because it's the only outpost where Stone is mine-able. CC404 is essential for Contraptions and Contrivances. It's home to the Rally, which offers 20+ cigs as its prize each day! It's where the Abandoned Factory is, where people get some ciggy goodies as well. Etcetera.

Well the thing about quarrying stone and C&Cs is that you go there and then want to spend your entire day's stamina quarrying/hunting for gadgets. Then you want to go off to your Place and use/drop them off. Anybody who tries defending the outpost with 100+ stone in their backpack really isn't going to last very long, no matter what Joker bonuses they have.

The other thing about stone quarrying; the price of teleports has rocketed. Before Places were introduced they hovered around between 3000 - 5000 req. Now they float between 10 000 - 15 000 req. I now walk up from Pleasantville to the nearest mountain square when I'm quarrying stone. It's plains all the way, and doesn't take that much stam.

The abandoned factory is different though. You go to CC404, enter the factory, then what do you do with the rest of the day? Well you're in CC now anyway.

I'm in agreement with Teddy on this. It's nice to have some outposts which are fairly empty. I like knowing that if I want to muck about with the midgets then there's a good chance that I can get stuck in straight away. If somebody's just done something then I can come back in a day or so's time and do it then. In fact, on occasion I've even seen people go to Squathole to play out a romantic scene. And I mean deliberately pick Squathole, not happen to meet there and soon go off to find somewhere nicer. At first sight this seems odd. Squathole is hardly the most romantic setting on the Island you wouldn't have thought. It's because they know that they can have a proper uninterrupted chat in the Hole that they can't do in Kittiania.

But back to the thread topic.

How would a vending machine be different from the pinata, or listening to Seth in the PSK? I suspect that were such a thing to come into being, then there'd be a small flurry of excitement for the first couple of weeks, and then it would just be one more thing that you can do. Gamers would know exactly when it was or wasn't worth doing (in the long run), and it would just be routine.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

How would a vending machine be different from the pinata, or listening to Seth in the PSK? I suspect that were such a thing to come into being, then there'd be a small flurry of excitement for the first couple of weeks, and then it would just be one more thing that you can do. Gamers would know exactly when it was or wasn't worth doing (in the long run), and it would just be routine.

Very true. So... let's talk design for a bit. How does one design an outpost attraction so that it does have continuing interest, stays fun, and attracts gamers who will fight in the outpost's jungle... without giving away so many goodies that it will upset game balance?

Forget for the moment about what it looks like, whether a vending machine or a pub or some secret Doctor Improbable laboratory hidden deep in a scrapyard tunnel complex. Let's think about what it would have to do.

(The level of RP is not a very exact indicator of how many people are in an outpost. Without *ahem* trains, people do often end up setting RP scenes wherever they happen to want to be fighting, so there may be more correlation than there used to be, but it's still not a good way to tell.)

Flat-out rewarding fighting in that jungle is not sufficient in itself. People do Dan quests but complain bitterly about them. There are increased req payouts when an outpost is in trouble, and that doesn't seem to pull in enough of a crowd either.

The Factory used to be a good draw, and now it isn't so much. The huge cig-demand required to max out clan buffs that we had earlier in the season has tapered off (lots of clans have already accomplished that goal and are still accepting members), and nothing on the game side has replaced that. Also, for people who do still need as many cigs as they can collect, there are now other ways to get them.

A new attraction would have to do something different.

What?

Edit: And look at me... here I am encouraging Awesome Fred in his thread-drift addiction! Big Grin

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 12:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Very true. So... let's talk design for a bit. How does one design an outpost attraction so that it does have continuing interest, stays fun, and attracts gamers who will fight in the outpost's jungle... without giving away so many goodies that it will upset game balance?

Forget for the moment about what it looks like, whether a vending machine or a pub or some secret Doctor Improbable laboratory hidden deep in a scrapyard tunnel complex. Let's think about what it would have to do.

(The level of RP is not a very exact indicator of how many people are in an outpost. Without *ahem* trains, people do often end up setting RP scenes wherever they happen to want to be fighting, so there may be more correlation than there used to be, but it's still not a good way to tell.)

Flat-out rewarding fighting in that jungle is not sufficient in itself. People do Dan quests but complain bitterly about them. There are increased req payouts when an outpost is in trouble, and that doesn't seem to pull in enough of a crowd either.

The Factory used to be a good draw, and now it isn't so much. The huge cig-demand required to max out clan buffs that we had earlier in the season has tapered off (lots of clans have already accomplished that goal and are still accepting members), and nothing on the game side has replaced that. Also, for people who do still need as many cigs as they can collect, there are now other ways to get them.

A new attraction would have to do something different.

What?

Edit: And look at me... here I am encouraging Awesome Fred in his thread-drift addiction! Big Grin

I am so torn between continuing the conversation and trying to keep the thread from drifting... gah... urrrrrg...

You're completely right in asking the question, how do we make this non-routine? Since I use many different examples of games for comparisons, let me use a different one that might raise eyebrows: NEOPETS.

When I played Neopets so long ago like any twelve-year-old, I quickly learned to establish a routine and kept it going for a long time. I visited the dinosaur place and got my free slice of omelet per day. I visited the jelly world and got my free slice of jelly per day. I went to the Haunted Woods and spun the Wheel, then went to the Fairie World and spun their Wheel of Fortune, and spun the Wheel of Mediocrity at the dinosaur place, and then I went to get my blessing from the Sehkmet Obelisk, and then I played a perfect minigame of Evil Fuzzles From Beyond The Stars three times in a row, submitting my score for 500 neopoints each time. There was even more to do in the routine that I don't remember--but every single day that I logged on, I went around the world to the exact same places in order to maximize my free or essentially-free randomized bonuses.

Most people agree: it gets old.

So my reactionary instinct from my paragraph is to say, "well, perhaps it shouldn't be a free or near-free randomized bonus".

We have enough/too many of those.

I remember in another thread people saying that we should have a vending machine specifically to acquire the specific desired C&Cs. That's not a randomized bonus at all, and it immediately becomes a tool to acquire a desired object rather than something you check routinely. So far, it sounds like a worthwhile addition to the game.

But since we have the Scrapyard to acquire C&Cs, and that costs 10 cigarettes to hoard loads of random ones, how do we keep that relevant while also having the vending machine?

Perhaps, overall, the vending machine is a more costly route, thereby making the interesting tradeoff. Perhaps it should require depositing an undesired C||C in exchange, along with one cigarette every time? That could easily be reasoned by flavor--the Vending Machine is a sentient robot that can easily redesign your Contrivance or Contraption, but is a chain-smoker who needs to keep her habit up. She'd have a banged-up body, her front window would be fogged up black with smoke and grime, and she might leak oil every now and then. You'd have to go into the Scrapyard in order to get the payment, in addition to the cig per C||C that you redesign, making it innately costlier.

Then, and only then, in addition to this function, the Vending Machine might have an "accident" in her state, and unknowingly drop some ancient disgusting snacks, or the cig or some req tokens or an extra C||C through her bottom slot--it's been desensitized down there after all she's been through. (I am starting to mentally squick at my own metaphors.) So, that randomized bonus that was part of the original idea can still be there, but using the vending machine isn't part of some daily routine at all. You only use it while you're working on your dwelling project, which itself is a creative outlet that avoids "grinding" for the most part.

Although maybe it would be better to put it in Pleasantville just so that players get to stretch their Travelling - Mountain legs more when the go between CC404 and Pleasantville. Just kidding, anyone who leaves the Scrapyard will use a teleporter.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

That is like, exactly what I said, maybe three times now. It wouldn't universally correct the outpost situation, just increase interest briefly. To quite myself from my first post, 'at least when new'.

Quote by:Awesome+Fred

You only use it while you're working on your dwelling project, which itself is a creative outlet that avoids "grinding" for the most part.

Ok, but what about those of us who don't give a crap about C&Cs, have complete Places, or newer players who can't even fathom the cigs for those things yet. You're still only targetting narrow group of people.

Everyone keeps forgetting the number one rule in valuable real estate: location, location, location! It sucks so much travelling to CC404! Newhome, Kitt, and IC are all clustered together. It's easy to move between them, and conveiniant. Not everyone has 6 hours every day to play this game and waste time in unwanted fights, traveling to far-out outposts, failboating and having to go back where they started, just to see a friend while they can. People are always going to pick conveiniance over any setting or incentives. Acehigh and CC404 will always have location working against them.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That is like, exactly what I said, maybe three times now. It wouldn't universally correct the outpost situation, just increase interest briefly. To quite myself from my first post, 'at least when new'.

Quote by:Awesome+Fred

You only use it while you're working on your dwelling project, which itself is a creative outlet that avoids "grinding" for the most part.

Ok, but what about those of us who don't give a crap about C&Cs, have complete Places, or newer players who can't even fathom the cigs for those things yet. You're still only targetting narrow group of people.

Everyone keeps forgetting the number one rule in valuable real estate: location, location, location! It sucks so much travelling to CC404! Newhome, Kitt, and IC are all clustered together. It's easy to move between them, and conveiniant. Not everyone has 6 hours every day to play this game and waste time in unwanted fights, traveling to far-out outposts, failboating and having to go back where they started, just to see a friend while they can. People are always going to pick conveiniance over any setting or incentives. Acehigh and CC404 will always have location working against them.

Have you played while Trains existed? Trains made getting anywhere incredibly trivial, and AceHigh and CC404 still were abandoned ghost towns. It's not just positioning, it's awareness. People don't *think* about CC404 because it's not on their maps as they walk between the triad of NH, IC, and KT and almost everything they need--which is just to hang out with their friends, you indicate--is in those areas.

As for forgetting about new people with low cig counts, that's inherently involved when you give a prohibitive cig cost. The entire idea behind it is to gate content and have reward various levels of effort with varying levels of reward. By saying, yeah, it'll cost loads of cigs, I'm saying it's to be an obstacle for players who haven't gotten to the point of high in-game wealth from getting that reward. That's how games work: you give players a carrot on a stick, but you make sure the ride is fun. If the activity is naturally enjoyable, great! If the sense of achievement is the driving force, well, that's not great, but it's okay. If the experience is fun and the accomplishment feels satisfactory at the end, that's perfect.

Look, a vending machine that works for "everybody" instead of a "narrow target" would be placed in NewHome, and be a simple link that you just click and you get a randomized prize of req or food or cigarettes in exchange for 10 req or a cheek swab. It's accessible to new players, and regardless of what you give a crap about and how many Places you've completed, it's still a benefit. But is that fun? Did you enjoy using it? Are you gonna be happy as you use it every day to maximize your free stuff?

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 07:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Have you played while Trains existed? Trains made getting anywhere incredibly trivial, and AceHigh and CC404 still were abandoned ghost towns. It's not just positioning, it's awareness. People don't *think* about CC404 because it's not on their maps as they walk between the triad of NH, IC, and KT and almost everything they need--which is just to hang out with their friends, you indicate--is in those areas.

As for forgetting about new people with low cig counts, that's inherently involved when you give a prohibitive cig cost. The entire idea behind it is to gate content and have reward various levels of effort with varying levels of reward. By saying, yeah, it'll cost loads of cigs, I'm saying it's to be an obstacle for players who haven't gotten to the point of high in-game wealth from getting that reward. That's how games work: you give players a carrot on a stick, but you make sure the ride is fun. If the activity is naturally enjoyable, great! If the sense of achievement is the driving force, well, that's not great, but it's okay. If the experience is fun and the accomplishment feels satisfactory at the end, that's perfect.

Look, a vending machine that works for "everybody" instead of a "narrow target" would be placed in NewHome, and be a simple link that you just click and you get a randomized prize of req or food or cigarettes in exchange for 10 req or a cheek swab. It's accessible to new players, and regardless of what you give a crap about and how many Places you've completed, it's still a benefit. But is that fun? Did you enjoy using it? Are you gonna be happy as you use it every day to maximize your free stuff?

Yes, I played when trains existed. I never used them, I didn't understand it. You have to try and find cards to maybe get a one-way ride to an outpost? It's faster just to walk fo rme than figure it out. And now it doesn't even work, so moot point. People think about the outposts less now that they can ride rails.

Before you get short tempered with me, I don't understand this whole carrot stick thing you're on about. I'm just saying, whatever the vending machine is, panding soley to people who build places is not my vote. I'm happy to have my place, but it was a pain in ass to build, I have no need or desire for the new programming, and I don't want to use up any more cigs on it. I don't like saving for weeks to have enough cigs to do something. I don't find it especially fun to forget half of whatyou started because something was stupidly expensive. I'm not especially good at the combat part of this game to play R5+ every run. I don't have tons of money to spend in real life on cookies and such to make it easier. Just to roleplay.

You're the one who is saying you want more people to go to the other outposts, and yet, you attack the idea of making something for a wider audience than the small group who are hardcore builders. I'm saying, it'd be good for a vending machine in the outer posts that offered a better incentive than places only. I don't know what yet, I'm just saying that yet ANOTHER places bonus perhaps isn't the best motivation.

You're awful crabby, you know.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 10:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

**glances around**

Hey uhh...Can this topic be less hostile and more fun-oriented, like when Wesker started it?
This is all for fun, guys, no need to get in a big fight about it! :C

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

**glances around**

Hey uhh...Can this topic be less hostile and more fun-oriented, like when Wesker started it?
This is all for fun, guys, no need to get in a big fight about it! :C

Well said Kimmy. And apologies from me. I helped to start the build up when I said that I didn't think that another pinata etc. would be very good without mentioning that Teddy had already said this. Sorry there Teddy.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Pondering what this 'something' would have to do?

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Flat-out rewarding fighting in that jungle is not sufficient in itself... There are increased req payouts when an outpost is in trouble, and that doesn't seem to pull in enough of a crowd either.

It occurs to me that increasing the req payouts in outposts where there is no real way of storing the req is not particularly attractive. Case in point: I would've been fighting in CC today but the bank was closed and I'm at that stage of a DK where I can't afford to have the money wiped out on the long walk back to Pleasentville.

Could there perhaps also be an increased cig-drop rate in those outposts where the monsters are actually attacking the wall HP? This would also mean that those low-rank RP players would need to grind less to get the cigarettes they need as long as they do so somewhere that's in trouble. And yes, it would mean that the high-rank combat players would get even more cigarettes but, frankly, we can probably already swim in them Scrooge McDuck style so a few more probably won't make a noticeable difference.

Actually, hold that thought...
*goes away and does some calculations*
That's a depressingly low volume - I'll need about ten times more before I can even bathe in them Frown

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

That's a depressingly low volume - I'll need about ten times more before I can even bathe in them Frown

Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you.. The Carrot..

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 05:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you.. The Carrot..

Ooh, a carrot! C'mere! Hey, why're you running away? I'll get you! *runs in circles for hours of enjoyment before finally catching the carrot* Haha! Got you now carrot! Om nom no- wait... is that another carrot?!

*ahem* Gaming in a nutshell.

Fred's suggesting the machine to be Places-oriented because the majority of people that go to 404 do so because of Places. Whether it be for Stone ,like back when the trains were around, or now, with C&Cs. He's already pointed out that a vending machine that could help everyone for free wouldn't draw in any new people. So, instead, focus on the ones who do frequent it. I know there's people who think 'oh, these Contraption things look so cool, but it's hard to get them and you're not guaranteed what you want (this is a carrot on a stick, by the way. If you want what you want, you have to keep at it. Because it's a game and games aren't fun if you're given absolutely everything for nothing). Having a way of getting exactly the Contraption/Contrivance you want will draw in more of the wary people.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 08:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You're awful crabby, you know.

Tone is quite difficult to convey with text, and word choice does not do too much to fix the ambiguities. It's why Wikipedia has the tenet, "Assume good faith" for editing wars, because it's hard to interpret an author's voice when debating in a Talk thread. I was being explanatory with a spot of exasperation at the end, and I was perceiving you to be the crabby one.

That is like, exactly what I said, maybe three times now.

Ok, but what about those of us who don't give a crap about C&Cs,

Not everyone has 6 hours every day to play this game and waste time in unwanted fights

See where I'm coming from? I interpreted your statements to portray impatience, and I apologize for misinterpreting.

If I read my post quickly, I see the rushed ranting. If you mentally slow it down, though, it becomes what I intended: a clarification of what I was suggesting and an explanation to why it was so. Docenspiel concisely explains what a carrot-on-a-stick is in his parenthetical in his post above. Hopefully, that should clear up any perception of hostility in this thread--that's neither my intended expression, nor is it yours.

(Though I do feel I must defend, I've never spent a dime on cookies or brews to make the game easier, only just for cosmetic changes. Donations are donations, not in-game purchases, a philosophy I hold firm.)

As for this vending machine idea, what "crowd" should it be a useful solution for? I admit that I assumed that most people do keep at their Places as ongoing projects, and that's an oversight that's fair game to refute. I honestly didn't consider "builders" to be a separate group, I thought that RPers loved building.

Profile Email
Albert Wesker
 Thursday, November 24 2011 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm... actually surprised that this topic spawned some good points and hearty discussion!
Of course, when I spewed this idea out with my fumbling fingers, I never took into account the amount of work and cost needed to create it. I thought of it simply on a whim.

Perhaps, overall, the vending machine is a more costly route, thereby making the interesting tradeoff. Perhaps it should require depositing an undesired C||C in exchange, along with one cigarette every time? That could easily be reasoned by flavor--the Vending Machine is a sentient robot that can easily redesign your Contrivance or Contraption, but is a chain-smoker who needs to keep her habit up. She'd have a banged-up body, her front window would be fogged up black with smoke and grime, and she might leak oil every now and then. You'd have to go into the Scrapyard in order to get the payment, in addition to the cig per C||C that you redesign, making it innately costlier.

Then, and only then, in addition to this function, the Vending Machine might have an "accident" in her state, and unknowingly drop some ancient disgusting snacks, or the cig or some req tokens or an extra C||C through her bottom slot--it's been desensitized down there after all she's been through. (I am starting to mentally squick at my own metaphors.) So, that randomized bonus that was part of the original idea can still be there, but using the vending machine isn't part of some daily routine at all. You only use it while you're working on your dwelling project, which itself is a creative outlet that avoids "grinding" for the most part.

Although maybe it would be better to put it in Pleasantville just so that players get to stretch their Travelling - Mountain legs more when the go between CC404 and Pleasantville. Just kidding, anyone who leaves the Scrapyard will use a teleporter.

I quite like the idea, Fred. And the double entendre.
I'm going on a limb, now, but perhaps it could even be an event whilst travelling, if not stationed at an outpost. Now, I'm not entirely sure what the cost of this would be to good ol' CMJ. (as you can see, I've absolutely no good things to contribute to this conversation. Forgive me.)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.76 seconds
New Topic Post Reply