Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Town Bulletin Boards - In-Game Classifieds
 |  Printable Version
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, December 18 2011 @ 04:15 AM UTC (Read 1706 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Last time this concept was brought up, one of our players with a lot of initiative went ahead and created the Classifieds, which is a very nice and neat wiki page. I like it a lot. I even have an ad up there myself.

But it's on the wiki.

Is that a problem, Awesome Fred?

Yes. That's the reason why it doesn't get seen very much.

But the Island links to the Enquirer right at the top of the page! It's part of the Island!

That means very little.

It's not in the game. It's not a game feature. It's not part of the game. It's outside. It's on the list of links at the top that generally point outside the Island. And beyond that, it's actually hidden away inside the wiki, where essentially only the people searching for it can find it.

What I want is a Board in every outpost. Players can click in in-town link to go there, and the Board page will have a table like the one on the Wiki page, full of everyone's adverts. There will be lots of squares with black outlines and some that are outlined in gold. If the square is outlined in gold, it's blank and "unowned". You can click on it and rent the square for 1 week, which costs 350 req. Then you can type up your advertisement as you wish. Every square has a limit of 255 characters and uses all the color codes and other pretty formatting the game usually allows us.

Once it's been posted, now anyone who goes to the Board will see it along with all the other filled-out squares, and can browse to fulfill any requests or go help anyone who needs it. After 1 week, it will simply vanish and the box turns gold again.

But we have messaging in-game. When people type things in chat, they stay for 7 days, and some chats don't move fast at all. Blah blah blah waste of CMJ's time.

People fucking love impersonal communication. Don't be fooled by those who say that the personal touch of a handwritten letter is more moving and makes them feel like a human and all that. They're kinda right, but it's not relevant. People also love the ability to say what they want to say without engaging in a conversation that goes back and forth. They love the ability to address everybody without anyone having to sync up their attention spans on one another. I can post a request for some help finishing my building jobs, and then log out for the night, and the next morning I might have a distraction from someone who said, "I saw your request and I had some spare stamina, so I finished all the jobs for you. Have fun!" Our community is full of helpful people but it's also full of shy people. Let's help the helpful people help the shy people who need help but are so shy, they shy away from asking for help.

With a Town Message Board, you have a designated area for everyone in game to check for your advert. People can leave up a message with easy formatting and then they know it will get read, unlike a chat message that can scroll away in populated places and won't be seen in unpopulated places. The req cost exists so that spammers would need to actually play the game, but it's low because a newbie with requests would benefit from using it.

And we've seen from the Classifieds we currently have that people will make use of it. I was considering the possibility that we don't have enough tradeable items to really justify this kind of thing, but services of any nature can be performed or requested by players.

I'm leaving the suggestion at that because this seems "relatively easy" compared to some of the depths I've envisioned. I have concepts in my head swirling about about the viewers being able to tag the adverts as "Being Fulfilled" or at least hit a "Responding" button which increments a message below every advert saying "2 Responses". It would kinda in a sense be equivalent to "[Player] takes a breath..." so that others know that someone is or isn't already tending to this player's request. But that has all sorts of here's and there's to consider. I think it's a very doable, very worthwhile thing to put a Community Board in every outpost, or even a shared one amongst all outposts. It could even go in the Council Offices.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Sunday, December 18 2011 @ 07:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like this idea. Smile Using banter for this kind of thing is great, but often doesn't stay up for long enough.

A shared board would probably be less work, and this would save IC and NH from being flooded while other outposts often stay empty. However, this means that IC and NH-type messages will flood the thing, and outpost-specific messages would get overlooked easier.* (I thought I had an opinion when I started writing, but apparently both options have good and bad points - who'd have thought?)

*Me, shuffling zombie. You, woman with sprained ankle. We shared a moment. If you felt this too, contact me at I Only Want You For Your Braaaaains, PO Box 40, clan halls.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Sunday, December 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I'm leaving the suggestion at that because this seems "relatively easy" compared to some of the depths I've envisioned. I have concepts in my head swirling about about the viewers being able to tag the adverts as "Being Fulfilled" or at least hit a "Responding" button which increments a message below every advert saying "2 Responses". It would kinda in a sense be equivalent to "[Player] takes a breath..." so that others know that someone is or isn't already tending to this player's request. But that has all sorts of here's and there's to consider. I think it's a very doable, very worthwhile thing to put a Community Board in every outpost, or even a shared one amongst all outposts. It could even go in the Council Offices.

Sounds like our petitioning system, which could be transmogrified into what you're proposing with "relative ease".

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, December 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Last time this concept was brought up, one of our players with a lot of initiative went ahead and created the Classifieds, which is a very nice and neat wiki page. I like it a lot. I even have an ad up there myself.

Question Fred. When you started this thread you brought up the classifieds, which is all IC for the most part.

This proposition sounds completely OOC.

Which one are you proposing? IC or OOC? Or are you proposing both?

Just clarifying for the sake of argument.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, December 18 2011 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Question Fred. When you started this thread you brought up the classifieds, which is all IC for the most part.

This proposition sounds completely OOC.

Which one are you proposing? IC or OOC? Or are you proposing both?

Just clarifying for the sake of argument.

-Rose

Oh, right. <.< I almost purely communicate by Distraction or in Banter nowadays, so my example Distraction was OOC. (I've quickly found most people using OOC in Distractions.) I intended for it to be In-Character, almost exactly like our Classifieds Wiki Page.

But I also want to note that the way this game works, most of the game mechanics, like what a Rank 7 is, are reasonable to assume that the characters know about 'em since the Watcher talks to them at the beginning of every DK. Simply saying "spare stamina" is probably too fourth-wall-ey.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.24 seconds
New Topic Post Reply