Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Questions in need of answering
 |  Printable Version
Chamomile
 Sunday, October 02 2011 @ 11:35 PM UTC (Read 7319 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have a very large number of questions concerning this game. Mostly concerning things which have already happened. Most of them are plot-related, so I stuck them here, but I honestly have no idea where they're supposed to go, seeing as how this forum doesn't have any kind of general discussion sub-forum.

First, what was so big about S2 mechanically speaking that it needed to be separated from S1? That implies a pretty hefty shift in mechanics, but I have no idea what it was, exactly. I gather that there were turns involved at some point in S1, whereas now there's Stamina, so I guess that had something to do with it.

Second, what was so big about S2 plotwise that it had to be rebooted as an entirely different universe six feet down on the fifth axis? Was S2 just a convenient point to have a ZOMG END OF WORLD!!!111!!1!one! plot that people kind of wanted anyway, or was there a mechanical reason that necessitated the plot support two separate and parallel Improbable Islands?

Third, how does the plot work, exactly? Are there significant plot differences between the S1 and S2 Islands? Have there been any one-off plot events other than the one that created S2?

Fourth, how can I get involved in general roleplay when playing a character who isn't exceptionally outgoing?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 12:23 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

First, this sub-forum is exactly the right place to discuss this. There's a wealth of information in the Wiki, but (as you will have doubtless already noticed), it is called the Wiki of Lies, and not without reason.

Season One didn't have much in the way of canon plot. There were plenty of player-generated plots, and CMJ certainly had some ideas simmering in his mind which have always been true, but he didn't write many of them into the game back then, so we players didn't know about them.

In terms of game mechanics, the S1-S2 transition was necessary because Season Two was very different. For one thing, you're right, that's when the whole Stamina system was introduced; the basic Legend of the Green Dragon battle engine works using 'turns'. Also, a number of causes had combined to send the Season One economy spiraling completely out of control. For instance, at one point, my bank account held 72 million req. It wouldn't have been fair to let S1 veterans keep all that easily-acquired loot, and their 500 DKs and their 4,000 hit points, when new players were going to have to struggle in a more hard-scrabble economy.

So there was going to be a reset, with everyone starting off from zero again. About all that characters got to keep, aside from their names and account numbers, was their total of supporter points. As you can imagine, there were as many wildly varying ideas about how to roleplay getting from one system to the other, as there were creative roleplayers on the Island.

What was finally settled on was a master-plot that contained enough paradox and time-space weirdness to allow all of the players' personal transitions to be true.

Fourth, how can I get involved in general roleplay when playing a character who isn't exceptionally outgoing?

The Banter chat spaces are intended for out-of-character discussions; if you're outgoing even though your character isn't, that's a pretty good place to jump in and get to know other players. If you're feeling diffident and a bit overwhelmed... well, maybe it would help to realize that most of the players you're seeing around you felt exactly the same way when they first arrived on the Island. You'll find a lot of friendly people here.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey, do you mind if I hi-jack this thread to ask my own questions? If not, say nothing.

Okay, cool.

1. Is there a cap or upper limit on how much req one can have?
2. When does one's trainer seek one out? Is it after a flat number of xp over the blue, or a percent, or what?
3. Why does the Wiki/Forum/Media Gallery portray itself as a newspaper?
4. Can all mounts find the Raven Inn?
5. Does the Budget Horse disappear after time?
6. Why can't one have a place on water or swamps?

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 05:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Hey, do you mind if I hi-jack this thread to ask my own questions? If not, say nothing.

Okay, cool.

2. When does one's trainer seek one out? Is it after a flat number of xp over the blue, or a percent, or what?

1. No
2. When you have enough exp to level up twice.
3. It is a newspaper. I'm not sure if it was originally intended for parts to be used in RPing.
4. Unless the Zonkey can, no just the Budget Horse.
5. Buy one and find out.
6. Because the powerful and almighty Poseidon forbids human creations upon his domain and by extension any land with at least 50% water in its composition. Except snow. Poseidon doesn't like it.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 06:36 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Docenspiel

Okay, cool.

1. No
2. When you have enough exp to level up twice.
3. It is a newspaper. I'm not sure if it was originally intended for parts to be used in RPing.
4. Unless the Zonkey can, no just the Budget Horse.
5. Buy one and find out.
6. Because the powerful and almighty Poseidon forbids human creations upon his domain and by extension any land with at least 50% water in its composition. Except snow. Poseidon doesn't like it.

3. It is a newspaper because the Island needs a newspaper.
4. Just the Budget Horse.

6. Poseidon, nothing. (Who the heck is... ? Oh, a Greek god, you say? Right. The Island is over-endowed with demons, angels, gods, goddesses, vampires, and... I seem to remember meeting Ra's girlfriend once. Poseidon wants to hang out on the Island, he's gotta start off scrabbling for a spork and pink panties, same as anyone else.)

For swamp, it's the Skronkys, that family/gang of Thieving Midget Bastards. They wanted their Squat Hole (yes, it's theirs) to be the only place built on swamp, so they had a chat with Suzie. ("Nice wee shop yeh got 'ere, innit. Pity if anyfing 'appened to it....") She shrugged and figured it just wasn't worth the hassle to accept registrations for swampland.

As for the water... exactly how would one go about planting a land stake in water, anyway?

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 07:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We could ask the Dutch.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

But it *isn't* a newspaper; it's a forum/wiki/gallery. Why would The Enquirer be a forum/wiki/gallery? I am confused as to what in-game people would read.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

But it *isn't* a newspaper; it's a forum/wiki/gallery. Why would The Enquirer be a forum/wiki/gallery? I am confused as to what in-game people would read.

You just need to squint at it from the right angle.

They mostly read the Letters to the Editor column. That would be the Forum. Very active, lively discourse there, most entertaining. Always some debate going on.

Then, once in a while, there's an Editorial (the middle column). They read that, too. Sometimes they look at the Arts section (the Gallery). And, of course, there's the thick, gossipy Island Life section (the Wiki), which includes the Classifieds.

As for the rest? Fish wrap.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 26 2011 @ 09:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You just need to squint at it from the right angle.

They mostly read the Letters to the Editor column. That would be the Forum. Very active, lively discourse there, most entertaining. Always some debate going on.

Then, once in a while, there's an Editorial (the middle column). They read that, too. Sometimes they look at the Arts section (the Gallery). And, of course, there's the thick, gossipy Island Life section (the Wiki), which includes the Classifieds.

As for the rest? Fish wrap.

Ah. I had my suspicions, but this clears it up. Editorial? Is that the MOTD?

Also:

As for the water... exactly how would one go about planting a land stake in water, anyway?

Boats. Or rafts. Or large poles leading to the ground underneath the water.

For swamp, it's the Skronkys, that family/gang of Thieving Midget Bastards. They wanted their Squat Hole (yes, it's theirs) to be the only place built on swamp, so they had a chat with Suzie. ("Nice wee shop yeh got 'ere, innit. Pity if anyfing 'appened to it....") She shrugged and figured it just wasn't worth the hassle to accept registrations for swampland.

Heh heh. Good answer. Please let me know if that's canon, or if you just made it up. Or both.

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Sunday, January 01 2012 @ 12:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, cool.

6,442,450,942 req.

2,147,483,647 of which in the bank, the rest (4,294,967,295) on hand.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, January 02 2012 @ 12:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Okay, cool.

6,442,450,942 req.

That... is quite a lot of req. Did you come by this information through first-hand experience?

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 02 2012 @ 12:37 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Maniak

Okay, cool.

6,442,450,942 req.

That... is quite a lot of req. Did you come by this information through first-hand experience?

Geek-joke: the bank balance in the accounts table is a signed integer variable which can hold numbers from -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647, but the req on hand is an unsigned integer, so it can hold numbers from 0 to 4,294,967,295.

Thus Maniak is absolutely correct, there is a cap.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, January 02 2012 @ 03:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The reason these numbers are easily known by computer geeks is that 2147483648 is 2^31, and 4294967296 is 2^32. In a signed integer, the first bit is used to signify positive or negative, and then the rest (the other 31) are used to make a binary version of numbers. In an unsigned integer, all 32 bits get to be used, which doubles the range compared to a 31-bit number.

And when you work with computers, you work with powers of 2 a lot (because of ones and zeroes), and will easily come to recognize 2^16, 2^32, 2^64, etc.

Also about finding the Raven Inn, all of the mounts can chance upon the Raven Inn. The Budget Horse is the only one that can find it when it looks for it.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, January 02 2012 @ 04:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

The reason these numbers are easily known by computer geeks is that 2147483648 is 2^31, and 4294967296 is 2^32. In a signed integer, the first bit is used to signify positive or negative, and then the rest (the other 31) are used to make a binary version of numbers. In an unsigned integer, all 32 bits get to be used, which doubles the range compared to a 31-bit number.
And when you work with computers, you work with powers of 2 a lot (because of ones and zeroes), and will easily come to recognize 2^16, 2^32, 2^64, etc.
Also about finding the Raven Inn, all of the mounts can chance upon the Raven Inn. The Budget Horse is the only one that can find it when it looks for it.

Actually, to my knowledge anyone can happen upon the Raven Inn as a random encounter, but having the Budget Horse gives you the option to seek it out specifically.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, January 07 2012 @ 03:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Geek-joke: the bank balance in the accounts table is a signed integer variable which can hold numbers from -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647

A helpful explanation

That implies that there is a need to track negative values of Req in the bank. Why?

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Saturday, January 07 2012 @ 07:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Geek-joke: the bank balance in the accounts table is a signed integer variable which can hold numbers from -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647

A helpful explanation

That implies that there is a need to track negative values of Req in the bank. Why?

Bank loans.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, January 07 2012 @ 08:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bank loans.

Really? How does one procure one of these loans?

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Saturday, January 07 2012 @ 11:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bank loans.

Really? How does one procure one of these loans?

I don't think you can anymore but you used to at one point I believe... If I remember right.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, January 08 2012 @ 07:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chamomile

I have a very large number of questions concerning this game.

Ha ha. Right.

1. Hats. How is their size determined?

2. Levels. What is the highest level one can reach? What are the amounts of XP needed to reach them (list, please?)?. How were those amounts determined?

That's all for now.

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Sunday, January 08 2012 @ 10:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. I don't have the formula for hat size, but I think someone was making a graph of it at one point... other than "pay Deimos more money, get bigger hat" I'm afraid I have to pass on this one.

2. You can get to level 15. Monsters can be up to level 17 (for Suicidal Hunting at level 15).

The XP needed to level up goes up each time you DK, so it's not a simple list ... but there are player-written Greasemonkey Scripts that will add an extra XP bar to show you when you will be hunted down by the dojo master.

These numbers have been found by either writing it down each time you level up, and asking all your friends to do the same (my method), and by going code-diving on GitHub (the sensible technical method).

My laptop is off for repairs so I can't give you the formula right now, but you may be able to derive it from that script. I remember that each DK adds 25 to the XP for level 1, but don't remember where it goes from there.

Unless, of course, you mean in skills rather than in fighting level. Those max out at level 100, but the XP needed for each one is different, and there are racial modifiers, etc.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.75 seconds
New Topic Post Reply