Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Fears Survey
 |  Printable Version
Laplacy
 Wednesday, January 25 2012 @ 06:32 AM UTC (Read 4944 times)  
Forum Newbie

Hey all.

I'm working on a project related to the island right now (though it's top secret at the moment.) Anyway, it concerns fear(s).
I've dabbled in studying fear off and on, so I got curious and I've decided to make a small survey for my fellow contestants. (In Character.)

Here it is:

1. What are you afraid of?
2. Why?
3. Does anything else make you vaguely uncomfortable?
4. Does your fear have something to do with what you are? (Race, gender, etc.)
[5. Does your narrator/writer share these fears?]

I'll start by answering! :3

1. Zombies
2. There's just something really creepy about infected "humans" that eat you. Total uncanny valley.
3. I really hate western dolls. And babies creep me out, too.
4. Well, when I was a human, my fear of zombies was worse. Being a zombie made me realize that they aren't all that bad. And now that I'm a cat, I'm pretty relaxed.
[5. Yes]

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, January 25 2012 @ 07:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1)My friends getting hurt, and forgetting who I am.
2)I can take a lot of pain without much trouble, thanks to Korbel, Johnson, and the Hospital Tent. I think all of my friends get hurt by pain more than I do, and I don't want them to ever be sad, but there's no way I can protect them all, or from all of it. I'm only a Kittymorph who knows a lot of things.
I don't know anymore how many other people's memories I have thanks to Stonehenge, and haven't for a long time (At least it feels like a long one). Even putting asidewho I know and am, just having so many thoughts, and knowing they're not mine is scary when I stop to think about it, because it's like a tide- I can control my path through it if I'm careful, but if I mess up once... Will my own thoughts drag me under like a wave?
3)The Stranger. He could easily hurt my friends, but Constable Swede said not to kill him. So I'm going to capture him. But I don't know how yet.
4)Hmmm. I don't think so? I think I used to be human, but it's hard to tell what history's mine, and what history I just remember. It might be partly 'cause I'm a Kittymorph. We don't like to let on, but a LOT of us are very edgy people.
[5)My what now? I think I saw someone, once. There were numbers. And a 'capes low key'. He seemed more excited than afraid, though.]
[Brackets are fun.]

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, January 25 2012 @ 03:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1) Soap. Losin me wullet loik.
2) Stunds tu reasun loik dunnit? Soaps nusty dirty stuff. Nuwun wunts tu lose thur wullet.
3) The Skronkys in a bad mood.
4) Wot yu sayin? Fear uv soapz gut nuffin tu do wiv bein uh midget. Uny sunsibul person iz.
[5) No.]

Profile Email
Raimar
 Monday, January 30 2012 @ 07:53 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

1. The dark, swimming in deep water, and (certain) heights.
2. For the dark and swimming, it's the possibility of the unknown; that there's something out there, watching, waiting to grab her and pull her to her death. Oddly, scuba-diving never disturbed her. Heights, only when they're on what (to her mind seems to be) an unstably surface; "How is this thing not crumbling under me and plunging to my death?!" Type surface.
3. People getting unnecessarily touchy-feely.
4. No.
[5. YES]

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Monday, January 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

1. I'm not-I'm not afraid. Why do you think I'm-I'm afraid. You-you know what I think? I think-I think you're afraid, that-that's what I think.
2. Because you're-erm-well-I-erm. Don't change the subject!
3. Th-this question make me unc-com-comfortable.
4. I al-already told you. I'm not afraid!
5. [Absolutely.]

Profile Email
Anonymous: Artist+Dragon
 Monday, January 30 2012 @ 12:29 PM UTC  

1. People disliking my muffins. and my snuggles. And my drawings....
2. B.b.b.because i do it for others. WHY ELSE WOULD I DO IT? its my life work!
3. Lonelyness. SO very lonely.
4. Wha? what a stupid question! thats like asking a lion how he hides in a sandwich!
[5. Only the thing about huggles and snuggles. i can' t draw for shiz. or bake.]

Omega
 Monday, January 30 2012 @ 06:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. Nothing besides losing a valuable costumer. I am not very good at finding out what I am actually afraid of, but I am okay with that. In fact, I get a certain thrill from experiencing what others would call "Creepy". Pleasantville is a nice place to visit.
2. Not dealing with emotions makes it easier to be a professional mercenary. When you make your living out of something, you need to do it very well.
3. Nearly losing a limb makes me vaguely uncomfortable, especially if I'm wearing my favorite suit; that thing is expensive! (I also am slightly nervous at people "reading" me, and finding some of the habits I can't control, such as starting every line with the same letter in letters, or picking m--Wait, this is not going to be public, is it?)
4. No. Yes. I am not sure, I don't know many people who share my same fears and race. But I don't know many people closer than a professional level.
[5. No...Okay, mostly no.]

And here we go. (By the way, I bet I know vaguely what your project is about!)

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Tuesday, January 31 2012 @ 12:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. Lillith
2. LILLITH
3. Not for very long.
4. As a GERMan, i'd say, yes.
5. I live safely in the knowledge that she doesn't know where i am, exactly.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Liebs
 Tuesday, January 31 2012 @ 03:50 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

1. Uh...scary things. You know. Failed experiments. Bad data. Unfamiliar things. Brainwashing.
2. Actually, uhm, if you're interested, I read this really cool paper about the evolutionary basis of fear. If you want I can get it for you? I mean, you don't have to read it, uhm, just if you want, I guess.
3. Really terrible pick-up lines. (She looks over her shoulder, briefly, and sighs in relief when she finds no one there.)
4. Why would it?
[5. More or less. Like Liebs, I startle ridiculously easily. Also, I wasn't thinking of any paper in particular, but I did do a brief PubMed search and found a salient one. GUYS, THEY SCARED SEALS WITH LOUD NOISES. IS THAT NOT THE SADDEST.]

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, January 31 2012 @ 04:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't play much any more, but I'll do the survey anyway. It's entertaining to imagine my character finding or being sent this and filling it out, or being approached by someone with a clipboard to ask personal questions. And I'm interested to see what your project will be.

a)
The Stranger.
b) I don't have any phobias.
c) I fear getting emotionally hurt - by friendships turned sour, by friends getting hurt, by rejections, insults, attacks and losses, by loneliness.
d) I no longer fear getting physically hurt.
e) I fear losing my sense of self, including memories and long-held skills and abilities.
f) I fear breaking or losing my glasses when I cannot get to a replacement pair.

2. Why?
a)
Because he is terrifying and wrong at a level I cannot understand or explain. The Drive twists normal reality; he is an actual break, a fracture, a hole. And maybe once he was a normal person, so maybe normal people could turn into that.
b) I think. (I used to be afraid of heights, but I've got over that now.)
c) This is a normal fear for any social animal, no?
d) Two years here will do that to you ... the jungle and the hospital tent, not to mention the Failboat, gets you used to rather more than you might have expected, and you get used to being able to fight back.
e) I am not sure how to explain this one. If something is intrinsic to myself, if it is lost, I would have a terrible sense of something missing and wrong.
f) Because my eyesight is that bad that without them, I would be fairly helpless. (I wouldn't be able to recognise a friend's face if they were standing further than arm's length away, let alone spot a lion hiding in the jungle.) And being helpless in a known and safe environment is frustrating, but in a dangerous and varying one like the Island it could be very bad indeed.

a)
Exhibitionist humping and onstentatious sexualisation. I don't mind PDA, but is really necessary to make a big scene of "look at me I am so big and clever and awesome I am sexing it up right in front of everyone!"? It makes me uncomfortable when things are so in-your-face: to me, sex should be a private thing between consenting participants, not something to flaunt at everyone or constantly emphasise.
b) Between-contestants violence. We are here to survive and fight the Drive, not each other. We're supposed to be members of a cooperative society, not a lawless and amoral chaos. Surely the place is big enough that even if you hate someone you can just go somewhere else. And if they are attacking you, why not call one of the Moderators? They have the Admin Goggles and powers to sort out this sort of thing!
c) Drama (including relationship troubles, OMG I Am Different, I Wuv You, Tragic Misunderstandings, I Am Awesome, Tragic Past/Pity Me, bullying, yelling, whining, arguments, etc). If I wanted a soap opera, I'd be watching daytime TV, not chatting with friends or passing through town ...
d) People who show off all the time, putting a huge emphasis on their strength, speed, smexiness, ability to shoot fireballs, dragonishness, number of tails, etc. It just feels weird, like that damn Fourth Wall is starting to fracture. Also, the weird proportion of people who have green eyes (even allowing for Jokers) and red hair. What is this, the AGM of the Redhead Society?
e) I have to admit that some mutants (and, occasionally, zombies and midgets) can make me feel uncomfortable if they appear or act in ways that would be considered disgusting in your average Mainland society. Oozing slime, skronking, attempting to eat your brains without even a "hello", etc. This, however, is entirely my problem, and unless they are actively harming me, I will do my best to ignore my reaction and respond normally.

These are standard ones to every form I've been. There are some extras that only apply when I have been different. Examples:
a) My robot self had absolutely no fear of physical damage.
b) When I am kittymorph, I am more startled by loud noises and less keen on getting wet, and larger predatory-shaped contestants can make me nervous.
c) As a midget, I was less uncomfortable with rudeness and yucky things. Mudslinging and swearing came naturally.

Yep, except The Stranger. He is awesome.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Thursday, February 02 2012 @ 09:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. Afraid? I'm not afraid.. now some things make me a bit... nervous perhaps.. like say people only being able to sing, robots.. and technology in general.. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm afraid of any of them.. exactly.
2. Why they're unnatural.
3. Too much pink, too much glitter.. people just staring and not blinking.. ever..
4. Well I never encountered much of the technology that I... don't really like.. before I came to the island
[5. nope]

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Friday, February 03 2012 @ 02:25 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

1. Anyone vanishing without a trace, or being forgotten. People have come and gone, but to lose them, and to never know where they are, is problematic. Similarly, people change, but nothing should ever be forgotten, even on purpose. To forget is to vanish.

2. Erm. Forgetting someone is worse than killing them. As long as they're there, as an idea, they can be reborn. Or, they can live as that idea. It's also the only way I think I'll ever die, truly.

3. Monkeys. So close to being human, and they're smarter than people think.

4. Yes. It's the only way I'll die. Change happens, including what people think I am, and thus what I am.

5. [Earnestly, yes. It's why I've found the Weeping Angels and Silent so scary from DW - they prey more on the mind than who you are, and are a taunt to who you are.]

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
Agelmar
 Friday, February 03 2012 @ 09:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

"Afraid? Cor, there's a lot what I'm afeared of. Mainly, though. I don' like the unknown. Because what I do know, I know how ta work agin'st. I have a plan for most fings, or a plan for planning a plan. But if I'm completely in the dark, no intel, no-one at my back, no s'port... That frightens me."
2. Why?
"Wot? Why? Dinnae I just--Ah, fuck. Why? Why, then. Well, I base e'rryfin' Ah do on what I know. So when we get inta the realm of what I don' know, et's like pullin' the rug out from unner me feet. Very disc'ncertin'."
"Yes, indeedy. Z-zedword fings. Um. Z-.. The fuckers in Pitts, a'right? I don' fookin' like 'em, they put me on edge, an' the smell es terrible. Whoever thought up walking corpses, I would.. I would do some [i]very[/i] narsty stuff to 'em."
"Not at all. Nope."
((I just don't like spiders. Spoiled milk and me have a history as well.))

They all think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who are crazy. It is I who am MAD!

Profile Email
jenkins
 Friday, February 17 2012 @ 01:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

1.Guns!

2.Cause they're bad and they shoot things. Why does everyone have them? I mean really, the monsters don't have guns. Why do all the contestants?!

3.Small animals. They're out to get me, i'm telling you. And squirrels! They're the worst. They allways hide in a tree when you see them! Coincidence? I think not. They're definitely hiding something

4. Well, do I look like a damned gun? Guns don't care what you are. And neither do squirrels. Right, i'm not a squirrel either, or else I wouldn't be filling out your silly questionaire now would I? No, I'd be in a tree, plotting something.

5.[Nope, nothing to fear but fear itself. And heights]

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, February 17 2012 @ 02:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

:I alright, I'll have Bob do this, why not.

1. ...Butterflies.

2. Because they're scary. And they pop out at you and you can hear them coming from those wing beats. They eat your dead friends, you know. Right out of their little coffins.

3. Warm things. People, sometimes. People climbing me without asking. Loud things. Whacking my head on a doorway. Not knowing what to say during a conversation. Eating too much and making myself look rude. Being unable to find a freakin' loincloth whenever I get turned into a cat...thing. Robots. Sometimes Zombies, but most seem...aware? Alcohol.
...Maybe some other things.

4. The first fear? No.

[5. No, and she thinks I'm SILLY FOR IT. >:C]

That last one just pertains to the first fear.
Being afraid of people and not knowing what to say in a conversation are ones I share. And maybe warm things, that just depends. And loud things. :I
[Bob had a caterpillar pet as a kid. He thought a butterfly ate its "dead body" after it grew a cocoon for itself. He is easily horrified by the eating-of-dead-friends thing.]

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 08:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

I agree with Buddleia for points 1-3 completely, apart form f, because my eyesight isn't yet that bad. My own extra comments are:

1)g) Mirrors. Pools of very still water.
1)h) Shop dummies.

2)g) Cousjava's a mutant. Need I say more?
3)g) They fall right into uncanny valley, and of course, they featured in the very first DW episode of the NuWho, one of only two to give me a permanent phobia.

4)Yes, for g). Others, less such.

5)Yes, including The Stranger. My other fears? Weeping Angels and the Slender Man on which I think this has the right sentiment. I am only glad I have not met him.

Apologies for all nightmares caused. Looking them up is going to give me them, so it only fair to share them around.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Grey
 Monday, February 27 2012 @ 11:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

1) Umm.. lessee
a) Needles, specifically hypodermic needles (shudders)
b) Rejection and people not liking me for things I can't change, be it personality or physical
c) Being alone, kinda stems from b)
d) Disappointing others
e) Being helpless when someone I care for is being hurt, especially if I caused it.

2)
a) Traumatic event when I was a kid involving a very bad dentist
b)-e) Because I do and it would take too long to explain it all

3)Mmmnm, I'm usually hard to make uncomfortable, but.. if you won't tell.
a) Violence, not just fighting, but the intent to severely hurt someone
b) T..the Stranger... he only wants to be my friend
c) Mutants, some of them, just well... Ewww
d) PDAs that I'm not involved in =p

4)... Not that I know of

5) Nope not at aJESUS GREY! Don't sneak up behind me with one of those, you know I'm terrified of needles!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.57 seconds
New Topic Post Reply