Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Everything Else New Topic Post Reply
 where are things now?
 |  Printable Version
dark
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 03:48 PM UTC (Read 1981 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hi.

Yes, I'm at least partially crawling back from under the mat, ---- indeed whether I crawl back or not will probably depend upon the answer to this question.

Rather ironically for a visually impared person I've been keeping an eye on where improbable island is going for quite a while now. Right back in fact to about 2009 when cmj posted about the game on our forums at audiogames.net, a site devoted to gaming for the ocularly disadvantaged (there is an entry in the database there for improbable island written by me).

I played the game seriously last year for a while, and got to a drive kill, even submitted a monster or two, though sadly I believe my account has now been eaten up by the resident inactivity goblin (my own fault really, I should've bought the hyper ring).

i however am wondering where the game is now.

Last i was here, the game had some great monsters and text, but I just personally found the exploration a bit lacking. huge map, lots of dwellings to see, ---- but not really too much to actually do by wandering around the map which was a shame, sinse the accessible navigation on the map is really interesting.

I see a lot of discussion of "places" replacing dwellings. Will these give bennifits to exploring the map? I also see something about a change to more strategical combat, ---- which sounds cool too (indeed if changes have been made it might be that that entry on audiogames.net needs some expantion).

i'm quite happy to start again, but I'd very much like to know where the game is now, and whether it's been expanded, not just for audiogames.net, but for myself as well.

So if someone could give information about recent changes, aprticlarly how they might work with new explorables, I'd be very greatful.

Profile Email
Omega
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 04:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, I am not the best source on changes, but yes. Places are here. They literally replace dwellings. Dwellings, in a sense, have been improved and named Places.

One of the very important points of places is that they can contain programs which allow you to manipulate the place in many ways, such as adding secret phrases that trigger actions, (say, you yell open sesame and the same room you're in changes, or a page link shows up. Pages are mini-rooms, sort of, but let's not stray into that.) or teleport a player into another room, or have several pages showing up depending on the time of the day. Programs depend on Contraptions and Contrivances. Contrivances check for things such as the number of drivekills you have or your race or the time of the day you're in or activate after you insert a command, either exactly or in part. Contraptions do things when activated, such as give a memento to the person who activates them, or hide a page or a room or show another, open doors or teleport people.

In combat, you have some sort of a "Puzzle" system where many monsters have body parts which you hit, and if you manage to memorize (Once you do it correctly once, it will show you the order. You don't actually need to keep it in memory.) the correct order of body parts, you can stun a monster and make your fight very easy. Monsters can also guard some parts or prepare to (Then do) strike you with a "strong hit". If you hit the body part the monster is planning to strike you with, you can block or weaken the hit. Also, some monsters are smart, and hide the actual state of their body parts.

I hope this helps! It's hard to cover something as big as this. There are Place Building Tutorials in-game and in the Wiki, by the way.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
dark
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hi.

I've started a new account and had a bash. the combat system is indeed pretty cool, indeed I'll write something up on audiogames.net just for that if nothing else, however I do wonder about those places.

previously, the problem I found personally in the game was that exploring the map you couldn't actually find! anything. There was the odd supply crate, but not really anything that would warrent you wandering around a lot, and all going into dwellings got you, other than a lot of interesting descriptions of the places was essentially a place to log out from the game and get bennifits.

There weren't for example special monsters or objects to find or hunt on the map, or locations (other than the cities), that you could practically do anything in other than log out from the game.

Will places change that? will places contain minigames or battles or similar? Is there anything to do surrounding the different terrain types hunting? fishing?

I know some of these points were discussed when I was last around, but as I said, I'm not sure if anything happened in them, and I always felt a little sad that the game with such a great map system didn't give players more incentive for wandering around on it.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I think Places will change that, but they're not quite there yet. You see, there's a programming facility now that will let players make mini-games. I myself am working on one that will be like an old-fashioned text adventure, but designing even that much is quite a challenge. I don't know how many such mini-games have been completed to the point of being open for others to play in. Also: exciting extensions to the programming facility are under way right now. (See the other most-current Enquirer thread for hints!)

As for what you can do on the map -- there's chat, so you can roleplay, now. Was that there when you last looked? Supply crates are different, in that you can choose to leave them for others if you don't happen to need the supplies.

The biggest change on the map is Titans. These are huge monsters with millions of hit points. Their footsteps shake the very ground you're walking on. They come out of the ocean, and each one heads for a particular outpost. If it reaches its destination, it will demolish the walls to nothing, and there will be nothing to stop hordes of monsters from pouring in. Fortunately, Titans move very, very slowly, and players can fight them together, if they choose. Fighting a Titan is difficult, but there are ways to do it, and the rewards can be high.

Profile Email
dark
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hi.

Well titans and map chat were both there when I left, and while places look cool it still seems mostly that they are there for show, ---- though as you said with how programming is going that may well change in the near future if places can actually have minigames and such. I will confess though I'm a little disappointed the map and exploring the island hasn't a little more to it in terms of in game rewards and actual reasons to go wandering from place to place.

All that being said, the combat system is certainly new, I love the new targits thing, so obviously some changes have taken place sinse I was last here. I'll stick around for a bit and see what I can find.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 08:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Oh, wait -- was the Rally (it starts in CC404) here when you left? That definitely does give in-game rewards for map travel.

Profile Email
dark
 Tuesday, March 06 2012 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Yep, rally was here, but I was thinking something a litle less pvp and slightly more exploration.

Say the rally was replaced with a mission to go defeat a special monster at a given location, or stuff to find or hunt out there.

As I said the map is great, I've just always wanted there to be a little bit more to do with it than there currently is, and some reason to go off wandering around it.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, March 07 2012 @ 12:27 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: dark

Yep, rally was here, but I was thinking something a litle less pvp and slightly more exploration.

Say the rally was replaced with a mission to go defeat a special monster at a given location, or stuff to find or hunt out there.

As I said the map is great, I've just always wanted there to be a little bit more to do with it than there currently is, and some reason to go off wandering around it.

Well, these do happen, at least the 'finding stuff' version -- created by players. Typically, there can be mementos scattered for pickup, or there may be a puzzle clue to the next location hidden in a Place, or... well, there are lots of possible variations. And prizes may be role-played, or mementos, or they may be game goodies from the Lodge and eBoy's via the gifting station. Until now, though, these have been special one-time events organized by some enthusiastic group of players. Memorable, and lots of fun if you luck into one of them, but not permanent parts of the Island that anyone can encounter. This may change, with the ability to set up permanent mini-games in Places... but so far as I know there aren't any examples yet. (Hey, somebody, chime in here and prove me wrong!)

There are, however, bits of story written by CMJ that unfold as you play and advance through the game. No spoilers... but you will have run into Jill already. There are quite a few of these, and the most recent episode did involve some travel. CMJ has promised that this year is going to yield a lot more such writing.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, March 07 2012 @ 12:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not sure whether or not this applies to you Dark, but one of the most satisfying things I've found about map travel is bits of dropped RP. Often seasoned players and storytellers 'drop' RP on the map, and I have spent many a day poking around and discovering delightful presents of sorts in story form.

Examples of unadvertised exciting discoveries I have had, more often than not between characters I had no interaction with before:

A 9 page long adventure where a Cat Man (Matthew), a small wild-haired girl (Felidae) and a stoic human (Bishop) all fought a giant Magpie (Rosin) in the forests near IC.

Shortly after all the dwellings were destroyed and Places was implemented, Ebenezer finding 'his stuff neatly organized but no longer in house form' and having to rebuild it.

A dangerous deal between a doctor (Refugee) a set of scary NPC's (also Refugee) and a Kittymorph who watched it from the tree line on the beach (Jay).

Spandex putting up flyers in Ace High for her various 'services' which I believe includes hair cutting and domesticated creature care.

Sneaking into 'dwellings' or Places I have also found gems (If it's unlocked I might stalk you!):

Sessine, Justa and Micha in the Lucky Dip dealing with the ramifications of holding a character hostage in the form of a pig (it was more confusing than that, trust me).

Various tours through the Imaginatorium (sadly currently locked) between such fun characters as Sundance Cassidy and Kolojang as well as Thornyribbon.

But I digress.

It sounds like you're really asking about straight up gameplay, not RP, and while as Sessine said there are mini games being built (I myself am struggling with one for story reasons not contraption reasons, it's COMPLICATED!) there aren't too many that I know of that are up and ready to mess about in yet.

There are definitely lots of great Places (formerly dwellings) that I personally find exciting to wander about in regardless of 'play' options, but there aren't too many things like 'fishing' say.

My hearty recommendation (from my heart, as opposed to from my thumb or maybe my nose) is that you do as suggested and work on getting bits of story through the canon plotline. Meet up with Jill, do the Museum Quest again because it will open up more storylines, make it to your first Joker form one more time and lots more story bits will open.

Hope you stick around! I love it here, and good things should be shared.

Also, penguins.

Big Grin

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.36 seconds
New Topic Post Reply