Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Walls and Shops
 |  Printable Version
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, May 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM UTC (Read 3344 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've noticed something. The shop's openings and closings are entirely dependent on threat level, and don't give a fig about walls. You could have an Outpost with 86,528,703 Defense Hitpoints, and if it gets to Interesting Times, things shut down and plunge into chaos. From a Story standpoint, this makes no sense. You can have all the monsters outside you want, but if you're in no danger of breach, why bother not selling things? Selling things makes you money!

From a gameplay standpoint, it also makes walls mostly irrelevant, or, dare I say it, counter-productive.
Walls, at the moment, only affect anything at the highest threat level, and then only serve to delay the Outpost's breach. I assume it is quicker to reduce the monster levels in a breached Outpost than a non-breached one, so an Outpost with no walls would dip into breach a lot, but it'd be a very shallow breach, and easily beaten down to Critical Situation. Meanwhile, the Outpost with walls would stay at Interesting Times (meaning less shops are open) which would build and build as the walls decay until, like a simile you examine too much, they finally break and unleash a gigantic insurmountable pile of monsters on the Outpost, leading to those feelings of hopelessness.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what I've said is true or valuable, because I'm a bit sleep-deprived at the moment, but I have a solution to the above problem of walls being counter-productive. Make shops only close down if the threat level says they should and the walls are below some given amount. 5,000, maybe?

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, May 13 2012 @ 03:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One thing that a wall at the highest threat does give us is access to the pubs, so they're not entirely useless. But - that's it really. I don't generally work on walls, and I've been happy to see a lot of them zeroed (sadly, they'll just get built back up again into the hundreds of millions...) The only place where I think it's worth building up walls and defending the place from titans is Cyber City, because of the Scrapyard. Everywhere else: yes, I agree, almost completely counterproductive.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 12:56 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Keep in mind the fact that a breached Outpost is a deathtrap for low-level or poorly equipped characters. There's no display, really, that warns folks away, so having the walls there keeps people alive.

In addition, Joe's Dojo for the respective race, the Common Ground, the Pubs (as mentioned before by Ada) and various other city-specific resources are available to a city with walls... they're hardly useless. Walls allow lower-level characters to stay and fight for their homes, folks who can survive Jungling and can use the extra Req payouts but wouldn't last long in a Breach... and that is by no means a bad thing.

After all, we're all periodically in that low-level, ill-equipped group, as long as we're hunting the Drive.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't forget Dan's Quest.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 08:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You can Danquest in a breached outpost - just enter the jungle directly, instead of going to the outpost first.

Nekops: Joe's Dojo closes at level 8, before the walls are breached. The CG is accessible from everywhere, so it's not a huge loss if it can't be reached from one outpost. City-specific things usually close at threat 7, so they're down before walls are, too. I believe the only exceptions are the ones in Cyb and IC.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 09:22 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Ada

You can Danquest in a breached outpost - just enter the jungle directly, instead of going to the outpost first.

Nekops: Joe's Dojo closes at level 8, before the walls are breached. The CG is accessible from everywhere, so it's not a huge loss if it can't be reached from one outpost. City-specific things usually close at threat 7, so they're down before walls are, too. I believe the only exceptions are the ones in Cyb and IC.

You can get into the jungle from the map to quest without going through a breach, sure. You'll still have to get out, though, through the outpost -- which may involve a detour to the Failboat and the loss of all req accumulated while you were questing.

If you want to have full use of an outpost, it's better to be proactive and help to nail those monsters before they get up to numbers that would fuel a breach.

Again, let me put in a word for Buddleia's most excellent spreadsheet, http://tinyurl.com/IslandThreats. Whenever you have a choice about where to fight, it's worth checking that to see where your fighting skills would be most useful.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 11:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nekops

Keep in mind the fact that a breached Outpost is a deathtrap for low-level or poorly equipped characters. There's no display, really, that warns folks away, so having the walls there keeps people alive. Walls allow lower-level characters to stay and fight for their homes, folks who can survive Jungling and can use the extra Req payouts but wouldn't last long in a Breach... and that is by no means a bad thing.

After all, we're all periodically in that low-level, ill-equipped group, as long as we're hunting the Drive.

Oh yeah. Forgot to account for them. Nevermind, I guess.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, May 23 2012 @ 11:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nekops

Pft. My fists are all I need to survive a breach at any level. [/brag]

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, May 24 2012 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

You could have an Outpost with 86,528,703 Defense Hitpoints, and if it gets to Interesting Times, things shut down and plunge into chaos. From a Story standpoint, this makes no sense. You can have all the monsters outside you want, but if you're in no danger of breach, why bother not selling things? Selling things makes you money! Make shops only close down if the threat level says they should and the walls are below some given amount. 5,000, maybe?

Actually, I still stand by this bit (though maybe 5,000 is too low).

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.36 seconds
New Topic Post Reply