Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Wall Fortification
 |  Printable Version
Rbandboy
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 01:44 AM UTC (Read 3489 times)  
Forum Newbie

I realize that what I'm about to ask for is a bit dangerous for new players, and that I am hardly a new player with a Lv99 in Reinforcement, but here goes...

I've been in the business of restoring outpost walls for in-game days on end and at roughly 45,000 hit points per day, and I've found it tedious to use the x10 option, and would likely put a x25 or x50 to good use. Now, as I said, it's not for new players. Don't hate me for it - I'm just trying to repair the walls faster.

--Rbandboy

Profile Email
Kes
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Would love. Would really, really love. Maybe a "Reinforce until your arms scream for mercy" option, where it stops at or above the 20% mark?

I feel your pain, Rbandboy. Even a x25 or x50 option would be very, very welcome.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 08:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hell, a 100x option sounds good too.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think with all the nuances here there and everywhere, it would be best for us to instead have some sort of "repeat action X times" option, that brings up a text box at the mouse cursor and lets us input a number for X. We could use it for any action.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 10:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or, as I have said elsewhere, perhaps a "repeat past x actions n times"? Also, perhaps an option in this proposed floaty box to repeat the x actions until it is no longer possible to repeat them?

Profile Email Website
Rbandboy
 Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 02:27 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

You know what? I'd be fine even if it were just a "do it until a disaster appears" - that would reduce half of my wait time.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 06:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rbandboy

You know what? I'd be fine even if it were just a "do it until a disaster appears" - that would reduce half of my wait time.

H'okay, so the thing is, I would love that too. But understand that there's a small but key difference in terms of gameplay between them.

To say, "Let me do this game action 27 times in 2 clicks and 2 keypresses," is to let a player who is tired of pageloads and clicking do exactly what they would have done anyway. They look at their stamina, they realize they can fortify 27 more times while staying over 20%, and they decide to do exactly that. The action's terminating condition is set by the player.

To say, "Do this game action until right before I'm at risk of disaster," means that the game, not the player, is playing itself. You're having the game decide for you when it's safe and when it's not. The game is figuring out for you when is good to stop and when it's not needed yet. The action terminates not by the number decided by the player, but by the game's own setting. You only execute.

This might seem really really really small, but it's enough to make a difference in game design. The former is purely an amplifier on your clicks, while the latter becomes an automated process.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 07:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred
To say, "Do this game action until right before I'm at risk of disaster," means that the game, not the player, is playing itself. You're having the game decide for you when it's safe and when it's not. The game is figuring out for you when is good to stop and when it's not needed yet. The action terminates not by the number decided by the player, but by the game's own setting. You only execute.

This might seem really really really small, but it's enough to make a difference in game design. The former is purely an amplifier on your clicks, while the latter becomes an automated process.
A good point, but there is precedent for it, though. When buying lessons (cooking/cleaning, insults), you can click "10" as many times as you want, but the game will automatically stop you - mid-10 if necessary - as soon as your stamina hits 60%. When completing build jobs, you can do multiples, and it automatically stops you when you're at 60%.

However, lessons-to-maximum have no penalty; when you're below the magic stamina number you simply can't have any more lessons; the navlinks disappear and you get put back into the outpost. Build jobs to maximum cut you off, too. But there's non-auto precedent too: if you do walls-to-maximum, or lumberjacking or stonecutting, whether by doing 1 turn or 10, you go past the magic number automatically and may end up on the Failboat if you miscounted.

So, after consideration, I think I would probably agree that just an amplifier should be used here. Wall-building is designed to be a potentially-Boating activity, like lumberjacking and stonecutting (not to mention travelling and hunting, which do not have bulk actions). It is not designed to be a safe activity, like building or lessons. Let players work out their own stamina costs and cutoffs. It's fairly simple maths, whether you have a [x1] [x5] [x10] [x25] [x50] [x100] list to chose from, or a text input box.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 09:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

A good point, but there is precedent for it, though. When buying lessons (cooking/cleaning, insults), you can click "10" as many times as you want, but the game will automatically stop you - mid-10 if necessary - as soon as your stamina hits 60%. When completing build jobs, you can do multiples, and it automatically stops you when you're at 60%.

However, lessons-to-maximum have no penalty; when you're below the magic stamina number you simply can't have any more lessons; the navlinks disappear and you get put back into the outpost. Build jobs to maximum cut you off, too. But there's non-auto precedent too: if you do walls-to-maximum, or lumberjacking or stonecutting, whether by doing 1 turn or 10, you go past the magic number automatically and may end up on the Failboat if you miscounted.

So, after consideration, I think I would probably agree that just an amplifier should be used here. Wall-building is designed to be a potentially-Boating activity, like lumberjacking and stonecutting (not to mention travelling and hunting, which do not have bulk actions). It is not designed to be a safe activity, like building or lessons. Let players work out their own stamina costs and cutoffs. It's fairly simple maths, whether you have a [x1] [x5] [x10] [x25] [x50] [x100] list to chose from, or a text input box.

The trouble with comparing it to the insult/cooking training is that cooking training always works as long as you can aforred it and have the staminia you are always going to gain the experience and training.

repairing the walls doesn't always work you can fumble it.. likely having too bulk a number of doing it times will potentially create troublesome lag.. especially if you add something to keep a eye on your stam for you and stop you.

Profile Email
Rbandboy
 Friday, May 31 2013 @ 05:56 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

The trouble with comparing it to the insult/cooking training is that cooking training always works as long as you can aforred it and have the staminia you are always going to gain the experience and training.

repairing the walls doesn't always work you can fumble it.. likely having too bulk a number of doing it times will potentially create troublesome lag.. especially if you add something to keep a eye on your stam for you and stop you.

To be frank, I would love to just see a "Work all day" option (or something simiar), which would just use your green stamina. That way, you wouldn't have anything killing you (unless you got attacked), or any possible chance of failure - the system could just figure out how much stamina to allocate, and you'd just do a massive repair.

Even if the option was only available on bright, sunny days like when you can access other stuff in town, that would be sufficient - no one should really be that distracted when the town's under attack anyways...

Profile Email
Rbandboy
 Thursday, June 20 2013 @ 05:33 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Also, it's kinda hard to spend a super chronosphere on wall fortifications with only ten repairs at a time...

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, June 21 2013 @ 10:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Are you trying to get a Hall of Fame placement for reinforcing? The outposts aren't in any danger...

Profile Email
Rbandboy
 Saturday, June 22 2013 @ 06:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Ada

Are you trying to get a Hall of Fame placement for reinforcing? The outposts aren't in any danger...

I know, but it's really fun being in the top 200 people for reinforcements. Perhaps things will get interesting once I hit the top 100...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.48 seconds
New Topic Post Reply