Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Newhome
 |  Printable Version
Collin-Vee
 Wednesday, June 20 2012 @ 10:59 PM UTC (Read 10664 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Today, I grew tired of the drama in Newhome.

Many have reached this point with Kittania, and other places, but I'm putting my foot down.

In Newhome, many people were getting to the point where they were about to fight, whilst my character was trying to calm them down while simultaneously attempting to have a nice chat with a friend. It didn't go well.

I think the problem is, many don't realize that Newhome is NOT A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN TAKE YOUR UPSET STORY AND FIGHTING. And I aim to see this remedied. I suggest some form of warning in the text for Newhome that clearly states that Newhome is for the rookies, and that it is the first place they see, so keep it nice. Having the players around them say it just triggers the: "It's a public place, I can do what I want!" response, whilst the poor rookies are too timid to even say hello due to the hostility and chaos. I suggest that this be enforced, within reason.

If people who've been here for months don't want to be in Newhome, why would new people?

//stands boldly in front of the firing squad

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 01:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey man, deep breath.

I know NewHome can get annoying. Really. We all know it. We've had post after post about What To Do About NewHome. But we can't really "fix" it - because it's the place where newbies show up. It's the place where they learn the ropes of roleplaying, and it's where they'll meet their first friends and cowriters.

It's where people make a lot of mistakes. And that's okay.

Trying to break up fights in character is probably not going to solve what you see as a problem. It might make it worse, it might make you look like a lunatic, it might hurt people's feelings, or it might do nothing at all - but it's not likely to get the reaction I think you're looking for. You can try to talk to people calmly and helpfully in Banter, but at some point you are probably going to hit against the wall of "they are having fun and I am not". That's when you just have to back out and take a deep breath. If it's getting really poisonous, or it's against the rules, go grab a mod. That's what they're there for. (Well, among other things.)

If you want a nice chat with a friend, you may not want to have it in NewHome. It moves fast, it's full of roleplaying that you apparently don't like, and it's not a great place to get story done (unless your story is about being a rookie). See some people in NewHome you want to play with? Invite them out of it (the Common Grounds is frequently empty and requires no travelling!) - or deal with the inevitable pitfalls of roleplaying in NewHome. (I do some of both.)

Your question is a good one - why would new people want to stay, if they show up when NewHome is full of noise? I probably wouldn't. But unless we start coming up with arbitrary rules ("hey your rp isn't good enough, get out"), NewHome is going to be NewHome. And it's okay to make mistakes in NewHome. It's not okay to be a dick. If you see people being a dick and you don't want to stay there, back out of it and grab a mod.

There are definitely times when I look at NewHome and think "...seriously?". But I am not the Roleplaying Police. Sometimes I just have to sigh and move on.

Profile Email
kell
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 01:43 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The issue is that people know that NewHome is for noobs and just don't care. "It's a public place, I can do what I want!"and all that.

I don't mind the drama every now and then. Without a little dragged into towns, there would be even more massive dead periods that there are now. What people need to learn is some moderation. If you see it getting too serious, think about how you would really feel about all this being on television. I mean, it's bad enough we get sent here naked, now I'm about to ruin my marriage because my illicit lover got discovered! Or something like that... You know, all that crazy drama shit that leads to fist fights and worse.

I'm all for mud fights, water gun/balloon fights, NERF wars, random displays of pyrotechnics to just shut people up, people being dragged under the fountain by tentacle things for murder mystery tea parties, tea parties in general, silly video game references that go out of control... That's what drama needs to dissolve into. Most of that I've seen done in one way or another. Especially the last. That was was fun. Even if it got insanely confusing towards the middle and end and was a bit out of canon, considering Super Smash Brothers would be oooooold by this time.

As long as noobs aren't being ignored, and no one gets hurt.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 01:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Have faith in our Mods. This is not the first time this situation has come up.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 02:38 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

My problem isn't that newbies are making mistakes. My problem is that people make Newhome the scene of all their storylines. I continuously see people going to newhome to play out their breakups and fights and kidnappings and whatnot. And as I said before, any attempts to portray that Newhome is for rookies, not your storylines and drama results in a cry that they have the freedom to do what they want where they want, and that they can story in outposts if they like.

Newhome is to have a good atmosphere, to tell people: Hey, Improbable Island is a nice place!

But instead, they show up to "GERTRUUUUDE! I'LL AVENGE YOU!" which then breaks out into verbal fights which then need to be broken up via banter.

I only ask that people get a clear message that Newhome is not the place for your fights and drama, it's a place for your smiles, silliness, and greeting the new people.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 02:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Collin, that may be the point where you should be calling a mod.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 02:52 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

That only temporarily solves things, Ada. You can cut out the tumor, but if you don't treat the source, you're only buying time.

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 03:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

My 73760 DP two cents (not that anyone asked for it) - I can deal with the stuff that I personally don't care for, like the constant crossovers and pop references. I can deal with non-rookies hanging out - after all, Arthur hangs out there quite often, even if it is mostly Banter, or a recruitment drive, or laying out the welcome mat for rookies.

What I do not overly much care for is when entire clans decide to conglomerate in Newhome Story en masse, or when people decide to get frisky in the fountain in front of Sheila's on the steps of the museum everywhere. The former, while not inherently bad, can be disruptive for recruitment drives, and probably doesn't make the rookies feel quite as welcome. The latter is just generally a bad idea in outposts period, especially Newhome.

I won't ask that these things be made punishable offenses. I will ask the people doing these things to kindly stop doing them*. People should have common sense and decency enough to be reasonable and considerate of others on their own, without being forced into it by rules.

*And if they don't, I'll kindly avoid and ignore them.

Dent

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 04:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Collin-Vee

That only temporarily solves things, Ada. You can cut out the tumor, but if you don't treat the source, you're only buying time.

Like I said earlier, there is no way to "treat the source" unless by "treat the source" you mean "subjectively remove all the roleplayers I don't like". We can guide players toward better rp. We can encourage players to take their plots out of NewHome. We can be friendly to rookies. We can call mods when people are being dicks or taking it too seriously or having sex in the outposts. We can't just ban, mute, or persecute people who don't write well or don't write things you like to read.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 04:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Colin

I only ask that people get a clear message that Newhome is not the place for your fights and drama, it's a place for your smiles, silliness, and greeting the new people.

Yes.

Can someone offer up an explanation as to why so many non-rooks feel the need to hang out in New Home. I visit there rarely these days but am always surprised to see the same old faces, playing out their dramas and a scaring rookie-lurkers shitless.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Ebenezer
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 04:40 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

By the way, did you know that it's actually a rule that people should be nice in NewHome. From the Rules page:

Also, be nice in NewHome. Really nice. It's the first place new players see, so we want them to want to stay and explore! Be welcoming, helpful, encouraging and as funny as you like!

See? If you see someone breaking that (Don't be a dick) rule, that's cause for a Petition.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 05:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ebenezer

By the way, did you know that it's actually a rule that people should be nice in NewHome. From the Rules page:

Also, be nice in NewHome. Really nice. It's the first place new players see, so we want them to want to stay and explore! Be welcoming, helpful, encouraging and as funny as you like!

See? If you see someone breaking that (Don't be a dick) rule, that's cause for a Petition.

Thanks for reminding us of this!

Grab the link and poke it into New Home banter as often as you like Big Grin

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

My intent is not to stop or ban anyone, here. My intent is to have a stronger message that clearly says that Newhome is for rookies, not your breakups or fights or makeout scenes.

Maybe a nice OOC blue text thing? A friend suggested having it only visible to people with X DKs.

I dont know, I just felt timid to hop in when I was a rookie (Sometimes even now!), and know several people who avoid Newhome because of these people causing drama constantly. This ends with me trying to create a nice atmosphere somehow, failing horribly because the other's character is abrasive.

Profile Email
Lunasol
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 03:29 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I will say this. This isn't a new problem. It's not even a new problem with any new solutions. The best you can do is talk to people through distract and hint that maybe having that AVENGE YE fight in the grounds or outside would be a better idea or try to set the good example. And contact mods. I'm not pointing fingers or saying names, but I know a couple people who go to New Home and insult rooks in an out of char, which set a terrible vibe, as if being a rookie or new is something bad. You see it, talk to a mod IMMEDIATELY, copying some of the worst comments and the time they're being said so the mods can immediately see what's happening and stop people.

The best idea is to be the kind of player you'd want rookies to be and be welcoming and kind to them. Maybe, hanging out with them and being the good example will lead them to be more like you.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yanno, back in MY day...

Wait. Back in my day we had this problem, too. Mods were the usual hammer used. I think that's when the rule Eben's talking about up there was put into play, too. Yeah, it's annoying when the thing we hope markets the Island to that most precious of resources, FRESH BLOOD, is taken over by people who can't seem to comprehend the premise of FIFTEEN BILLION OTHER PLACES THEY CAN TAKE THEIR DRAMA TO THAT WILL NOT ANNOY ANYONE EVEN REMOTELY.

Public space is habit-forming; people who want attention know that there is a never-ending source of eyeballs in certain Outposts. Island folks love attention; we're writers. We can't help ourselves.

The thing is, Enquirer-ranting, while psychologically relaxing, does very little to solve the problem as the guilty parties generally don't read it. What do they pay attention to? Banter. Because it's there on their screen. What do they especially pay attention to? Distractions. Because they flash and we do so like our flashy thingamawhatsits. What do they INTENTLY pay attention to? Mods. Because mods can really screw with your day if they feel like it. Escalation is my advice; if plan A doesn't work, go to plan B and if that doesn't work, well, you did your best. Bug a mod. That's what they're paid for.

Well. They're not paid. Suckerrrrrrrs.

ON THE SUBJECT OF HOW TO DRAW ROOKS OUT INTO THE OPEN: Hey, do people still carrot?

Carrot (verb): In which an Island veteran lurks in NewHome with plenty of quills and no other in-character interaction for the specific purpose of randomly engaging participating rookies with storyhooks, presents or passing incidental happenings. It's a nice way to make people feel welcome...if they build up enough courage to venture into Newhome and say, "Uh, hello?" and are immediately acknowledged -slapped on the back by a passing squid, say, or hit on the back of the head by a rain of fish, or wished a pleasant day by a passing cloud- they're going to walk away from the encounter feeling, well, pretty damn great about it. And feeling great is what leads to their building more courage, coming back, and doing more of what we want them to do; playing.

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Skidge

Distractions. Because they flash and we do so like our flashy thingamawhatsits.

Sadly, Distractions no longer flash. D:

Hey, do people still carrot?

Yup. Not as often as before, I suppose, but it still happens.

Dent

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

When I started playing I spent months without speaking to anyone on here because except for a few times I said something in character, I got ignored. I have at least one stubborn as hell (and silly as hell) friend who finally created an account after years of listening to me blather about Island, and quit inside of two weeks because only three people responded to him.

Idea

I wholeheartedly second Skidge, and need to save my pennies for quills.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Skidge
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pah, I bet even without the flashy-flashy, people still get all excited when they see a Distraction in their inbox. Which means they'll pay it more mind than Banter.

Man, I'm probably considered old-school and out of touch now by all the up-and-coming Islanders. "Man, that lady still thought Distractions flashed, she's old and dumb and just doesn't understaaaaaand..." Well get off my lawn, youngsters. I used to have to walk uphill, both ways, with no feet, in the snow, and crank up a computer BY HAND in order to access the Internet, and my modem made all these really weird noises when I first signed on and it was REALLY SLOW and the biggest Island problem we ran into in the Old Days? Was nobody talking at all.

Which has nothing to do with anything.

The way I see this particular issue, though, is pretty clear; carrot works better than the stick. Tell people how to write or complain overmuch about how you don't like what they do, and you'll just get a reputation for being a mad rampaging elitist whathaveyou. Express a concern regarding MARKETING and MAKING A GOOD IMPRESSION and DRAWING IN NEW BLOOD, reward good behavior, spend time and energy and really commit to making Newhome a comfortable place for newbies...

Honestly, you'll just end up with a really big headache and probably still have somehow gotten a reputation for being an elitist whathaveyou. But the people who read the Enquirer will be impressed. And the people who read the Enquirer pretty much rock. So.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pah, I bet even without the flashy-flashy, people still get all excited when they see a Distraction in their inbox. Which means they'll pay it more mind than Banter.

I thought you were referring to the Mail Check GM script! They used to flash all by themselves?! Eek!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The reason people roleplay in New Home, and Kittiana, and pretty much nowhere else is, at least partially, because that's what people do. Getting to the other places takes a lot of Stamina until you've traveled a bit, and if you just never travel much going to a different corner of the map can be daunting. Especially if there's nobody over there to RP with, anyway.

I don't know that experienced folks hanging out in New Home is a bad thing... the newbies do need to meet someone who knows what the hell is going on, after all. And frankly... if people can't deal with fighting, and insane drama, and public displays of affection... they aren't gonna stick with this game too terribly long anyway. Obviously, we need to keep the outright X rated stuff behind closed doors, but that's not just for newbies and it's already a rule, or so I gather.

It has always been my policy to be friendly Out of Character, while acting however my character would In Character... so if people are running around half naked and swinging swords at each other in Story, but waving to the newbies in Banter and explaining tricky stuff like skills, Stamina, and Timed Combat? I... really don't see a problem.

Maybe a different heading could be added to the Banter in New Home? Something like, "These are the real players over here... they're friendly and sane (well, mostly), and will be happy to help regardless of what their characters are like. Go ahead! Give 'em a : waves to Banter. He's/She's new! and see!"

It's a little tutorial on IC/OOC separation, and a concrete example of how to emote (that they can just copy and paste to see how it works) and it says, "Hey there! We want to talk to you, and welcome you in, but we won't even know you're here until you say hi."

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.85 seconds
New Topic Post Reply