Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Society of British Bedstead Men
 |  Printable Version
The PO
 Friday, July 20 2012 @ 08:01 AM UTC (Read 2249 times)  
Forum Newbie

Is this monster for real? I've encountered these guys twice now: I don't get how it can possibly be anywhere near my level to fight four monsters as tough as me, even in sequence. Only with Nimble, three ZAP grenades, full health and a starting stamina around 125% was I able to finish the Bedstead Men off; I have to say I didn't find them worth it. Next time I'll just run away, but I'm wondering if the hit points of each Bedstead Man isn't supposed to be 1/4 of what it is now?

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Friday, July 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And here we have a fine example of why pack monsters, though a very cool idea, are implemented in a manner that makes them excessively difficult for newer players, and highly irritating for the long-term II-addicts.

The PO, thank you for posting this. Pack monsters like the Bedstead Men have been reported as bugged
(see petitions 168, 176, 183, 426, and 856, and Enquirer threads from June (page 30, 31, 32) and September last year) many times over for various reasons. You needing that much stamina and supplies and luck to end one battle is very telling.

Would you mind telling us what level you are, how many DKs you have, and/or your stamina costs for hunting and fighting? Those are all relevant.

And, did the Bedstead Men definitely all have around the same hitpoints as you you? I haven't noticed this effect - I've collected so many extra HP over the years that I barely notice the difference between 10 and 100 on enemies. I think that pack monsters are supposed to be the equivalent of one monster divided by the number in the pack - so if your average one-part monster had 100 HP, and there was a pack of four, they should have 25 each. I think. But if you're finding that this particular pack monster (or, worse, all of them!) are each as big and strong as a normal size monster, and each require four times the stamina to fight them ... that is really bad news.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
The PO
 Friday, July 20 2012 @ 07:59 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I was Level 11, IIRC (level 12 now). Newb with 0 DKs. Stamina cost around 2% for hunting, 1% for fighting. All four Bedstead Men definitely had more hitpoints than I did (both times I encountered them): that's why I felt inspired to whine :-). As you say, normally pack monsters will have total hitpoints appropriate to their level for the whole pack, not hitpoints appropriate to their level x number of pack members.

I don't feel too strongly about pack monsters one way or the other, other than in an apparently buggy case like this. Trying to clean and cook a pack of hippopotamuses or monkeys has definitely been more than I usually have stamina for: I run out of stamina cleaning them and then can't cook them unless I increase stamina some other way. On the other hand---much meat!

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, July 21 2012 @ 04:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The British Bedstead Men are the only thing that can touch me during a B-Rank. Something about them renders my dual-hop, double-barrel cat launcher useless.

Although I suppose that's more likely to have CMJ keep them around, given that they're the only even minor annoyance to a B-rank after the first couple days...

Profile Email
Mongo
 Saturday, July 21 2012 @ 05:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

At the risk of attracting the wrath of the randomizer circuits, I can say that I have not seen the British Bedstead Men for at least 7 - 8 DKs. I remember them causing a moderate amount of aggravation but no real serious problems.

My biggest gripe with the pack monsters is that the payoff for the whole pack is equal to a single monster of the same level. This is one of the reasons my 'Run Away' is maxed out.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
The PO
 Saturday, July 21 2012 @ 06:28 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Mongo

My biggest gripe with the pack monsters is that the payoff for the whole pack is equal to a single monster of the same level.

I'm fine with that, as long as the hitpoints for the whole pack are equal to a single monster of the same level. Smile This seems to be the normal case (i.e. except for Bedstead Men and Ninjas, for everything I've encountered so far.)

I've now filed an issue petition (#869) on this one.

Thanks much to everybody who responded. Getting close to my first DK!

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply