Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Advertisement Banners
 |  Printable Version
Shiloh
 Friday, October 19 2012 @ 02:31 AM UTC (Read 1735 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have been wanting put up advertisements for Improbable Island on several forums that I frequent. The problem (the main one, anyway) is the lack of really good ad banners. At least, that I can find. The Island is (as we all know) a very very very diverse game. It's encouraged to be that way. There's amazing writing by players (and some not so amazing, but part of the beauty of the Island is that it doesn't exclude based upon writing talent). There's hilarious monsters, and a history that is somehow really clever, poignant, mysterious, and ridiculous all at once. And there's the stories--the really really brilliant writing by CMJ. How in Horatio's name do you encapsulate all of this into a banner ad?

I don't like this one, because it really doesn't give a sense of how clever and funny the Island is. It would unfortunately turn off most of the good writers I have in mind.

I've managed to find one really good one, and I've no idea who made it. Unfortunately it's not well-suited to forum-style advertisements, since it's vertical rather than horizontal.

So I've started up this topic in the hopes that people could post banner advertisements (good ones that give a feel for what the Island is actually like) here for folk like myself to use when trying to lure new players to the Island.

Witch Doctor Makiwa leans over and taps the duck on the beak, "This round's on you! Should we put it on your bill?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, October 19 2012 @ 05:18 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Shiloh

I have been wanting put up advertisements for Improbable Island on several forums that I frequent. The problem (the main one, anyway) is the lack of really good ad banners. At least, that I can find. The Island is (as we all know) a very very very diverse game. It's encouraged to be that way. There's amazing writing by players (and some not so amazing, but part of the beauty of the Island is that it doesn't exclude based upon writing talent). There's hilarious monsters, and a history that is somehow really clever, poignant, mysterious, and ridiculous all at once. And there's the stories--the really really brilliant writing by CMJ. How in Horatio's name do you encapsulate all of this into a banner ad?

I don't like this one, because it really doesn't give a sense of how clever and funny the Island is. It would unfortunately turn off most of the good writers I have in mind.

I've managed to find one really good one, and I've no idea who made it. Unfortunately it's not well-suited to forum-style advertisements, since it's vertical rather than horizontal.

So I've started up this topic in the hopes that people could post banner advertisements (good ones that give a feel for what the Island is actually like) here for folk like myself to use when trying to lure new players to the Island.

That "one really good one" was created by CMJ himself. (It dates back to Season One; a similar-vintage ad here is, I think, the one that ensnared me...)

A little while ago, he did an interview for Project Wonderful, which you may want to read.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, October 19 2012 @ 03:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

DAN came up with the 'I lost 30lbs by having my legs bitten off by a lion' meme last year?!

I was wondering why that seemed so familiar. I vaguely remember seeing something else that had that line, but it didn't have the Island logo.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Friday, October 19 2012 @ 11:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Count+Sessine

That "one really good one" was created by CMJ himself. (It dates back to Season One; a similar-vintage ad here is, I think, the one that ensnared me...)

A little while ago, he did an interview for Project Wonderful, which you may want to read.

Thank you for the information and the link! Advertising is really not an easy feat, particularly for such a diverse game as this one. (And I thought that 'legs bitten off by a lion' meme sounded familiar).

I think the ad that hooked you was the same ad that hooked me back in S1, now that I look at it. It seems very familiar.

The two best ads I've seen are both from Season One of II, and the game has changed so much since then. It'd be great to have similar ads that better represent Season Two. I might try my hand at making some.

Witch Doctor Makiwa leans over and taps the duck on the beak, "This round's on you! Should we put it on your bill?"

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, October 19 2012 @ 11:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't forget the catgirls! That's what drew me in! Big Grin

(Granted, it was from someone's artwork, not a banner ad Oops! )

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Melinda
 Saturday, October 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hah! The "really good one" got me, too. I ignore ads, mostly -- that was the first I ever actually clicked on.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply