Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Abandoned game character/Avatar
 |  Printable Version
Lorekey
 Saturday, April 06 2013 @ 08:15 PM UTC (Read 2907 times)  
Forum Newbie

I had a thought for two monsters, not sure if they've ever been thought of before or if they already exist, but I thought I would put them up either way.

Anyway, one of the thoughts I had was that a character that our contestant's made in a game they had long since stopped playing comes after the player crying waterfalls of tears for being 'abandoned'. Basically 'attacking' our contestant's with questions on why they had abandoned them.

The thought I had for the avatar monster came a bit after that, and the monster is the avatar that the contestant used and changed to something else when they had a computer. But instead of tears like the old game character, they will attack our contestant out of jealousy for replacing them with another, 'better', 'prettier', 'cuter' avatar.

So, has either of these monster's been done before? And if it hasn't are they any good?

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Saturday, April 06 2013 @ 09:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The second one is kinda, sorta already in the game: Your Past Self. There is a difference between them, but not enough of one that I think would warrant another monster. There's also the fact that some people don't use avatars, in which case the monster makes no sense.

The abandoned character idea, I think, would be better if it were broadened into simply Abandonment Issues.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Lorekey
 Saturday, April 06 2013 @ 09:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, if I did broaden it into simply 'Abandonment Issues', how do you think I should portray the monster? Perhaps as the contestant's self as a child holding his favourite teddy bear? A little ruffed up and muddy perhaps?

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, April 07 2013 @ 12:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well your child self holding a teddy bear is treading into the territory of your Favorite Childhood Teddybear. To quote the monster text:

"It's your favorite childhood teddybear! Where on earth did it come from? The question of why it's animate doesn't enter your head; you are simply overjoyed. "Teddy! Come here," you call, arms wide open!"

If you want to read through all the current monsters I've logged (with lots of help) they are here:

Improbable Monster List

I believe you are always free to submit a new monster (in the jungle in any outpost scroll to the bottom of the options and you'll see the monster sighting link) and don't need any permission from anyone, but this might help you with ideas.

moooo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Lorekey
 Sunday, April 07 2013 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Interesting, I'll be sure to take at look that list.

However, while I didn't know that you could submit a monster at any outpost like that, I would rather finalize the idea on here so the final monster I submit would be something everyone would enjoy. Well, not everyone, I can't make everyone happy. But you get what I mean.

Profile Email
Ada
 Monday, April 08 2013 @ 07:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Lorekey

Interesting, I'll be sure to take at look that list.

However, while I didn't know that you could submit a monster at any outpost like that, I would rather finalize the idea on here so the final monster I submit would be something everyone would enjoy. Well, not everyone, I can't make everyone happy. But you get what I mean.

You might find banter an easier place for idea-bouncing because it moves so much faster, but if you've got anything once you've read that list, I'm sure you'll be able to get a few opinions here. Those final steps of writing and submitting are yours, though - no one here can tell you if an idea will pass. (Well, the mods/CMJ probably could, but I don't imagine they'll hand that out in the forums.)

Profile Email
Lorekey
 Monday, April 08 2013 @ 12:23 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

That is a good point.

Well, I do have another idea that I thought of thanks to a new quest I got in game. This may count as a spoiler so if you haven't done the robot's questline so don't carry on reading if you haven't.

Anyway, you remember that quest where you have to write a program for the robot to be a more likeable being? Well, I was just thinking that a monster could be made of a similar event happening with another robot (Just name it something like 'Faulty programmed Personality' for now, since I haven't really got anything but the basic idea for this).

But the problem I was having was the amount of faults that could come from the program the robot installed for a personality. A robot with an insane-child like personality? Happy go lucky theif? Hippie robot? Copy of the player robot? Midget/zombie/mutant Personality? Priest robot? Robot with a god-complex?

There really isn't a limit on how the program could of gone wrong. And I would rather not spam CMJ's indox(or where-ever the monster sighting's go) with all the possible results it could have. There's also a good chance that someone else on here could think of a more amusing result that could come from the quest than me.

So, anyone got any idea's or thoughts for this one?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, April 08 2013 @ 03:15 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Lorekey

...you remember that quest where you have to write a program for the robot to be a more likeable being? Well, I was just thinking that a monster could be made of a similar event happening with another robot (Just name it something like 'Faulty programmed Personality' for now, since I haven't really got anything but the basic idea for this).

But the problem I was having was the amount of faults that could come from the program the robot installed for a personality. A robot with an insane-child like personality? Happy go lucky thief? Hippie robot? Copy of the player robot? Midget/zombie/mutant Personality? Priest robot? Robot with a god-complex?

If I could just gently guide you away from explicitly basing this on Rohit...?

Peculiar robots not-quite-getting how organic beings should behave might work just fine as monsters. Look at the bartender in the CC404 pub, or the waiter in the restaurant. They're hilarious! There's no reason Drive-generated (i.e., player-written) monsters shouldn't get in on the act. But make it an original character. If you hook a monster to a major canon story that may well, we don't know, have further developments coming... it could be rendered obsolete the next time CMJ gives us another chapter.

Writing quality counts. What we're looking for now are monsters that are better than the ones we already have. I know, that's not a whole lot of help! but why would we want to add ones that didn't enhance the player's experience in the jungle? Good writing -- short, vivid, amusing -- will always give a monster the edge.

And we don't want people to be going, "Oh no, not another one of those -- booorinnng." So don't just look at what's in the list already and make a minor variation. A new category of monster is going to have a much better chance of getting in.

Profile Email
Lorekey
 Monday, April 08 2013 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

So basically, I need to stay away from making a monster similar to one that already exists, simply because these would not interest players as much as brand new monster's would(And as a player I can agree with this.) and instead aim for making monster's that do not yet have any similarity to ones that already exist. And if possible, and even encouraged, a new category of monsters. Like the midget's, time-based, and kittymorph monsters have their own category.

And while the idea of robot monster's is ok in general, giving them personality's by use of Rohit's story, or 'people' personality's is ill-advised. And creating robot monster's that have a similar style to few in Cyber city would be more preferable.

Actually, now that I think about it. I've only ever seen one Robot monster while in the jungle. While I've seen several kittymorphs, a ton of midget's, several zombies. And quite a selection of humans.

Thanks for the advice Count, I'll be sure to keep it in mind when I actually get round to submitting a monster.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, April 10 2013 @ 11:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think you might be taking this all rather seriously mon ami.

BUT! Since you're looking for data, here is some that should still be fairly current as it's based on the constantly updating list I am keeping (with help).

Monsters by type (Rose made up categories)

Human 108
Animal 64
Item 61
Monster 51
Your Own Body 24
Fourth Wall 19
Midget 12
Surroundings 12
Plant 11
Zombie 6
Mutant 5
Robot 5
Joker 5
Morph 4

I only broke out races because it's so human heavy I was curious. And a few are hard to pick like the Jokombidgbotantmorph which I have labelled simply as 'Morph' though it is ALL the races.

You can peer at this as well as the current pie chart in the same list I linked you to in one of the later sheets.

I think rule of thumb is generally make it funny.

And you know, everything Sessine said.

( Also even those of us who have gotten monsters accepted do sometimes have them rejected, or asked to do rewrites, and sometimes have had to wait a long time to hear back. So don't feel bad if any of those things happen. It is not personal. Big Grin )

( Also also, please read the rules of submission. Things like using `n etc. Those are good things. They are worth paying attention to. Formatting can completely change a monster and isn't as clear in the monster list as when you're fighting in the jungle. )

moo

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, April 10 2013 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I quite like Lorekey's robot ideas myself. What I personally would like to see more of is natural outcomes of the Island. Let me explain.
All of the midget opponents are genuine midgets. They're products of Squat Hole society. Even the giant midget who's an outcast. The vegetarian zombie and the religious zombie are likewise genuine New Pittsberg zombies with idiosyncracies. Similarly for Oronte. (I can't think of any other zombie/kittymorph foes off the top of my head.)
The robots on the other hand aren't. The grimbot, and the robot disguised as a human aren't at all natural products of CC404, they're drive generated beasties that happen to be robots.
Now this isn't a bad thing, I rather like the robot disguised as a human myself. I'm just saying that if there were some genuinely misprogrammed CC404 robots, then that too could be good.

As for new ideas, then that's good, but I personally quite like things that sort of follow through and connect with each other. There are 15 lions (and a copycat cougar) and that's certainly not too many. It's great how you see the lion progress in his sneakiness, all the different tricks that he uses. This Guy and That Guy, the way you keep attacking yourself are also good examples. A key factor is though, as Sessine has mentioned, that they're all different and add something new. Stories progress. Not just minor differences. There is some sort of limit, a new midget foe would have to be damn good to get my approval.

What's most important though is that they're well written and fun to read.

I should stress at this point that I'm not actually in any way in charge of picking what goes through and what doesn't, these are just the views of another player.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, April 10 2013 @ 06:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

What we're looking for now are monsters that are better than the ones we already have.

So do new monsters replace other monsters?

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Wednesday, April 10 2013 @ 08:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

So do new monsters replace other monsters?

Since I started playing a couple years ago, I've noticed some monsters have disappeared (not just ones that were deemed offensive). So, my guess is yes? Or were you asking if the processes are related?

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, April 10 2013 @ 11:28 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Monsters come, and -- very occasionally -- monsters go, but the two aren't related.

There is a sense, though, in which every new monster added does (somewhat) push aside the current monsters at the same level. This has to be worth it.

An extreme example: Suppose there are 20 monsters at level x that are each pretty good. Suppose we then add a huge load of another 20 monsters at that level, but they're rubbish, everyone agrees they're absolute duds. Sure, there'll be more variety, which is nice -- but half the time now, a player fighting at level x will be running into really lame monsters. Frown If the RNG gets up to its usual random tricks they might even spend their entire level not once seeing a good monster.

That's why I said we're looking for better monsters. We're not booting out the old to make room for the new. We just want the average to move up, not down!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, April 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks, Hairy Mary, your post inspired me to finally write the monster I had in the backburner of my mind. Expect it soon.

Or, you know, not.

Not really my call.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, April 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Thanks, Hairy Mary, your post inspired me to finally write the monster I had in the backburner of my mind. Expect it soon.

Or, you know, not.

Not really my call.

A monster inspired by me?
"You are strolling through the jungle keeping an eye o...AAAGGGHHH!!! it's Hairy Mary! Get the bastard!"

I hope it includes phrases like 'peak of physical perfection' and 'unearthly beauty'.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Tuesday, April 16 2013 @ 05:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Matthew

Or, you know, not.

Not really my call.

A monster inspired by me?
"You are strolling through the jungle keeping an eye o...AAAGGGHHH!!! it's Hairy Mary! Get the bastard!"

I hope it includes phrases like 'peak of physical perfection' and 'unearthly beauty'.

You have encountered Hairy Marywhich lunges at you with complex C&C tutorials!

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, April 17 2013 @ 02:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You have encountered Hairy Marywhich lunges at you with complex C&C tutorials!

Orrrr...

maddening puzzles!

Seriously. Puzzleland. Near Ace High. AWESOMESAUCE. GOOOOOo to ittttt.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply