Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Strength thoughts
 |  Printable Version
shadowkin
 Wednesday, May 29 2013 @ 03:18 PM UTC (Read 2193 times)  
Forum Newbie

The other day I was kind of absently philosophizing about mass times acceleration and it occurred to me that as you accumulate drive kills you have a very real very numerical way to acknowledge the changes in your character's individually improbable biology. ...Aside from the fact that you may be the reanimated dead, gain additional limbs and body hair/eyeballs, or find your whims dictated by dice rolls, etc. That being the improbability points.
See, I'm not sure why, but i was thinking about the fact that according to game mechanics, Shadowkin, whilst completley nude and regardless of form, is now able to punch/kick/flail at things with ferocity equivalent to a newb holding a sledgehammer, and is able to receive stabbings/bullets/shark attacks equally as well as a newb wearing some pretty fancy future armor.
I'm starting to wonder where Shadowkin falls on the Spiderman superhero strength scale. How many buicks does the game mechanic say your character can lift?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 06:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's an interesting point. When Rookie Buddleia first arrived, she would only just survive not only a lion to the face but encountering a plastic bag. Very often she'd get Boated. She'd certainly have to spend a long time on each fight, and would get severely beaten up. She used to spend most of her req in the Hospital Tent, barely able to scrape together enough for a Cheezburger and a Spork. Travelling from Newhome to Kittania was fraught with danger, worth preparing for by buying medkits and ratpacks and expecting to spend up to four days on the trip. As a normal human being brought to this wonderfully crazy place, she spent most of her time hungry, wounded, tired, and impoverished.

Nowdays, she'll quite casually beat off a lion (which mind you is an apex predator, what, three times the size of a human?) in one or two blows, even when her hitpoints and stamina are in the red. She's got no worries about supplies or equipment or req; she'll smack at a Titan every time she's running low. And she'll think nothing of going all the way round the Island several times a gameday, even when she's in the red, barely breaking stride at the every-single-square monster attacks.

Even if you stay as a Human all the way through your Island career, you clock up bonus HP and Improbability Points. How much do people roleplay all the gameplay aspects that their character experiences? It varies. I don't roleplay it every single time I use a chrono or get Boated. I don't roleplay using the kissing booth. But I do like to roleplay (if only in an internal narrative) most other things; walking from Newhome to IC to SQ to NP to PV to AH to CC and back home via KT, fighting monsters on the way, bringing a load of grenades to refill the supplies in the low-stocked areas, building the walls, levelling up, DKing, searching the swamp for Scroteweed, going through the Factory. Nowdays Buddleia is stronger, faster, tougher, a better fighter, better equipped and prepared. Of course she's nowhere near as strong as The Watcher (see "Extra Story Pass Scene" in the Notebook!). But she is very likely considerably more powerful than a normal human being of her size, shape and physique ought to be. I expect most characters are. I also wonder, by how much, and what affects it.

So, thank you, Shadowkin - you've actually inspired me for one of my ongoing character-development storylines themes. Even if I couldn't answer your question at all, just ramble away about my own ideas.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

That's an interesting point. When Rookie Buddleia first arrived, she would only just survive not only a lion to the face but encountering a plastic bag. Very often she'd get Boated. She'd certainly have to spend a long time on each fight, and would get severely beaten up. She used to spend most of her req in the Hospital Tent, barely able to scrape together enough for a Cheezburger and a Spork. Travelling from Newhome to Kittania was fraught with danger, worth preparing for by buying medkits and ratpacks and expecting to spend up to four days on the trip. As a normal human being brought to this wonderfully crazy place, she spent most of her time hungry, wounded, tired, and impoverished.

Nowdays, she'll quite casually beat off a lion (which mind you is an apex predator, what, three times the size of a human?) in one or two blows, even when her hitpoints and stamina are in the red. She's got no worries about supplies or equipment or req; she'll smack at a Titan every time she's running low. And she'll think nothing of going all the way round the Island several times a gameday, even when she's in the red, barely breaking stride at the every-single-square monster attacks.

Even if you stay as a Human all the way through your Island career, you clock up bonus HP and Improbability Points. How much do people roleplay all the gameplay aspects that their character experiences? It varies. I don't roleplay it every single time I use a chrono or get Boated. I don't roleplay using the kissing booth. But I do like to roleplay (if only in an internal narrative) most other things; walking from Newhome to IC to SQ to NP to PV to AH to CC and back home via KT, fighting monsters on the way, bringing a load of grenades to refill the supplies in the low-stocked areas, building the walls, levelling up, DKing, searching the swamp for Scroteweed, going through the Factory. Nowdays Buddleia is stronger, faster, tougher, a better fighter, better equipped and prepared. Of course she's nowhere near as strong as The Watcher (see "Extra Story Pass Scene" in the Notebook!). But she is very likely considerably more powerful than a normal human being of her size, shape and physique ought to be. I expect most characters are. I also wonder, by how much, and what affects it.

So, thank you, Shadowkin - you've actually inspired me for one of my ongoing character-development storylines themes. Even if I couldn't answer your question at all, just ramble away about my own ideas.

*lots of muffled, childish snickering*

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 07:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel
*lots of muffled, childish snickering*

*Shoots Full Metal Lion an alarmed look, covering her mouth. Elbows DoC. Winks.*

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 11:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have my own little theory. Mind, this isn't supported by canon much at all.

Every time you defeat the drive, you die. You have a new body, or at the very least the same body, but changed. Significantly, sometimes. One could make a case that this is, in a way, a rebirth. The improbability points represent chance-assisted evolution. Something changes, even something small, when the Drive cobbles you back together, just a little, but it's noticeable in the form of two points of attack at level one instead of just one. Over time, it adds up to something quite significant. After all, the Watcher is still human (as far as we know) and yet probably the most powerful being in canon. And, as Buddleia said, contestants with many drive kills, even those still human, are far and away more powerful than a rookie fresh off the plane.

Let's take me, for instance. As of this writing, I have 334 DKs. If we assume each one is another 'generation', and assume that each generation reproduces at 18 years (give or take), that's over six thousand years of selective breeding, bringing out the best in the human genome while discarding the worst. Add a healthy dose of Chance, that same force that can sprout you another five heads or give you Freakish Midget Strength, and it's easy to see why humans who've been on the Island for a while would be significantly stronger, faster, more agile and with greater stamina than any human being today. You don't need to be a joker or a midget to reap the benefits. I think the Watcher is similar, though it's never said if she's ever killed the Drive. It explains why Claude can now kick a Titan in the shin until it explodes into a fine red mist, and weather several dozens of rounds of Improbably Burny Fire before finally succumbing to the flames. If a chainsaw is 15 points of attack, Claude's bare handed punches hit with the force of fifteen ([234 attack at level one]/15 = 15.6) chainsaws.

This isn't a freak mutation, this is the next stage in human evolution. Some day, when the Drive is finally neutralized, the contestants, in some fashion or other, will be reintegrated into society. Their former audience and fans, who'd previously lauded them with adoration, will fear and hate them for being something more than they are.

Such small-minded people will detest the change that has passed them up and swept them by. They will be found wanting, and find that terrifying.

This is providence.

oh my god we're all x-men

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Thursday, June 06 2013 @ 12:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Matthew

This isn't a freak mutation, this is the next stage in human evolution. Some day, when the Drive is finally neutralized, the contestants, in some fashion or other, will be reintegrated into society. Their former audience and fans, who'd previously lauded them with adoration, will fear and hate them for being something more than they are.

Such small-minded people will detest the change that has passed them up and swept them by. They will be found wanting, and find that terrifying.

This is providence.

oh my god we're all x-men

How do we explain the sort who found other ways to high strength?

My take is that (true) HP equals strength, also. I told myself I would never drivekill back at having two already, and just built up to around 800 or so (over time) before changing my mind.

Of course, the monsters followed suit, so I always wonder if it meant anything.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
42-Central
 Tuesday, July 15 2014 @ 12:30 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Matthew

If a chainsaw is 15 points of attack, Claude's bare handed punches hit with the force of fifteen ([234 attack at level one]/15 = 15.6) chainsaws.

I like this, personally. Specifically the idea of using weapons and armour as a comparison. It makes it easy, I think, to visualise a character's strength level if you can say they can hit as hard as a Riot Hammer or something.

I think the specific nature of the attack/defense being used here is important as well. For instance, rather than comparing punches to Chainsaws, you could use blunt weapons (socks full of marbles, axe handles, bats, brass knuckles, those boots tied together at the laces and so on). My personal favourite here would be sledgehammers. So Claude, for instance, hits with the force of about 39 sledgehammers unarmed.

Ouch.

Slice-n-dice attacks, like with claws or a blade or such, can then be compared to, well, cutting weapons, like knives and katanas and, of course, chainsaws.

For defense, we can consider how the character defends in combat. I can think of two examples: the character has an über-tough hide (like Kevlar or SpiderSilk or the SPS series), or the character's skin hardens in defense when hit hard enough (like Non-Newtonian Shock Armour).

@Sneaky: I think HP translates more into endurance than actual strength, myself. Like, how long one can keep fighting before their body goes 'NOPE I can't take any more of this shit'.

Yoo fooken wot m8.

Profile Email
Talude
 Wednesday, August 19 2015 @ 12:13 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

One could say that attack and defence are the measure of combat prowess, starting from someone that has never been in a fight.

Hell with training and time one can learn to kill using a spoon, no?

But the hp thing does bothers me, it's all over the place, you get mauled by a bear for poking damage and shrug off sniper rounds, but a plastic bag or rake can kill you dead.

And so I go with the power rangers way of measuring damage, sparks and the rule of cool.

I got nothing to say about titans.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply